Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pension Age Rise Still On Budget Books (Read 1092 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Pension Age Rise Still On Budget Books
May 23rd, 2017 at 12:36pm

Pension age rise still on budget books   Sad
May 22, 2017
News.com.au

The Turnbull government still intends to lift the age pension qualifying age to 70, an independent agency has confirmed.   Shocked   Sad

Parliamentary Budget Officer Phil Bowen told a Senate committee on Monday not all of the so-called "zombie" savings measures from the 2014 budget had been taken off the books.

While the government gave up on about $13 billion of budget savings measures which failed to get through the Senate, he said it remained committed to four measures including raising the age pension age and the energy supplement which flows to welfare recipients.

The other two measures were streamlining the court system and overhauling workplace compensation laws.

Mr Bowen said the PBO had decided not to release an updated report on unlegislated budget measures because there were so few left.

The PBO's last report on unlegislated measures estimated the budget saving of a pension age set at 70 of $1.96 billion between 2025 and 2027.

The office also confirmed it would release 10-year projections for federal government spending and revenue next month.

Mr Bowen, who retires in July, said the projections were an important follow-up to the federal budget released on May 9.

"If you are going to publish a bottom line you can't have a debate about it unless you know what is driving it," Mr Bowen told a Senate estimates committee on Monday.

The national fiscal outlook, which covers state government finances, is expected to be released in September or October.

Mr Bowen said his office was considering changes to the way it reports on political party promises after an election.

The post-election report - which now covers Labor, the coalition and the Greens - could be expanded to include minor policy costings.

However he said the PBO could not mandate small parties or independents to submit their costings to be analysed and published because the legislation set a limit of parties with five or more members of parliament.

He said given the "critical role" played by small parties especially in the Senate it would ideal for them to submit their policies for costing.

Asked whether the PBO should conduct the Intergenerational Report - a five-yearly analysis on future pressures on the budget - Mr Bowen said there was merit in an independent body being in charge of it.

"The PBO produces analyses that are based on purely objective analysis of data and our mandate is to be completely apolitical," he said.

"Any document that is prepared by the government of its nature has a political element, so if there is a desire to depoliticise the Intergenerational Report then a way to do that is to give it to an independent body.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Pension Age Rise Still On Budget Books
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017 at 3:50pm

Its the liberal way, work until you drop, and never have your retirement.   Sad

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2017 at 4:13pm

whiteknight wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 3:50pm:

Wasn't it the Rudd/Gillard lot who decided to up the age to 67?

As everyone keeps telling everybody.  You CAN retire whenever you wish. Provided you can support yourself minus welfare.  IF you are entitled to some welfare, well done!

Pay off your house. First step to being debt free in your retirement. Do NOT put "stuff" on the never never to keep up with the neighbours. Live within your means.

Keep smiling, Australia is still a great place to live, despite the cost. I wouldn't live anywhere else. 

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2017 at 4:54pm

It is just a cost reduction exercise. If you are over 40 and made redundant likely you won’t work again. By deferring the pension they can keep you on NewStart for longer.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2017 at 5:54pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 4:54pm:
It is just a cost reduction exercise. If you are over 40 and made redundant likely you won’t work again. By deferring the pension they can keep you on NewStart for longer.

Do you realise what you have just said?  Grin

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2017 at 7:47pm

Labor put the pension age up to 67.  Now liberal want to put the pension age up to 70.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Expecting people to work until they are 70 years old, is a ridiculous idea.   Sad

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - May 24th, 2017 at 1:27am

whiteknight wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 7:47pm:
Labor put the pension age up to 67.  Now liberal want to put the pension age up to 70.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Expecting people to work until they are 70 years old, is a ridiculous idea.   Sad

All traitors to the living.... time for a clean-out of Parliament...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2017 at 1:29am

Neferti wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 5:54pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 4:54pm:

Do you realise what you have just said?  Grin

I'm certain he knows full well... the policy is to reduce the 'lesser classes' to penury for life.... so as to benefit the 'better' classes....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2017 at 1:31am

Neferti wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 4:13pm:
whiteknight wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 3:50pm:

Wasn't it the Rudd/Gillard lot who decided to up the age to 67?

As everyone keeps telling everybody.  You CAN retire whenever you wish. Provided you can support yourself minus welfare.  IF you are entitled to some welfare, well done!

Pay off your house. First step to being debt free in your retirement. Do NOT put "stuff" on the never never to keep up with the neighbours. Live within your means.

Keep smiling, Australia is still a great place to live, despite the cost. I wouldn't live anywhere else. 

Yes - with a graduated rise to 70 for all the Peasants (but not them).

Both Lib and Lab are traitors to their own people, and are massively overfed for the results they bring to the table, and have long outlived their use-by date.

Time for massive change.

Not hard, really....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2017 at 2:09am

Lucky most of you don't live in WA.

I turn 60 in August but I now can't get the WA Seniors Card until I'm 63 thanks to ex Emperor Barnett - and, it doesn't look like the new State Labor government has any plans to change it back to 60. I mentioned this (and a couple of other things) in an email to our newly elected Labor member about a week before the March State election. She replied about the other things in my email but didn't say anything about the Seniors Card.

Every other Australian State still has 60 as the qualifying age for the Seniors Card, of course.

Funny (well, not really) thing is, a Bulgarian woman living with her daughter down the road from me has managed to get the WA Seniors Card despite the fact that she's never worked in this country or paid a cent in taxes. The daughter works full time and pretty much supports the mother (who doesn't have any sort of disability, etc.).

And, the mother gets a pension from Centrelink as well. I'm still trying to figure out how she managed to pass her citizenship test a couple of years back seeing as she still can barely speak a word of English despite taking (taxpayer funded, of course) English lessons about 5 years ago.

So, after living here since 1961 and working and paying tax since 1974 I have to wait 3 more years for MY Seniors Card and 2 years extra (67) to qualify for the age pension yet others who have never worked a day in their lives here or paid any tax can waltz right in and get all the benefits. Something is seriously wrong here!!!

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the governments (both State and Federal) can screw themselves. I have all my "ducks in a row" with my superannuation so I'm hoping to retire after my 61st birthday next year and live on a Super pension until I qualify for the age pension at 67 (hopefully, unless the a-holes put it up to 70 in the meantime).

That's also assuming the Federal government scumbags don't mess around with the Superannuation rules any more than they're going to do this year, of course (hint to said scumbag government:SUPER MONEY IS NOT YOUR F***ING MONEY, IT BELONGS TO US, THE WORKERS. SO, LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!!!).

End of rant. Normal service will now be resumed.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2017 at 2:40am by Carl D »  

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2017 at 11:27am

Shouldn't that apply to politicians as well ? What's good for the goose is good for the gander Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - May 24th, 2017 at 11:31am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 24th, 2017 at 11:27am:

Shouldn't that apply to politicians as well ? What's good for the goose is good for the gander Wink

Some people can't work till they're 70 - medical reasons -
& it's almost impossible to get the DSP.

Maybe we need soylent green factories?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2017 at 12:05pm

Bobby. wrote on May 24th, 2017 at 11:31am:

The pollies are resistant to voluntary euthanasia so they want you hanging around for 20 years on a drip feed because nobody wants to employ anyone over 50 Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - May 24th, 2017 at 12:49pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 24th, 2017 at 12:05pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 24th, 2017 at 11:31am:

The pollies are resistant to voluntary euthanasia so they want you hanging around for 20 years on a drip feed because nobody wants to employ anyone over 50 Sad

I fear old age & trying to deal with centerlink & juggling a small amount of super.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2017 at 9:26pm

Then sell all that ice age crap you won’t need and save up cash and buy a few assets that will appreciate in value: first editions, good paintings, some gems, antique furniture etc. You don’t declare those, just sell them now and then as you need to in retirement.

Speak to someone who can advise you re super/pension etc.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print