Send Topic Print
MasterCHef (Read 11162 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

MasterCHef
May 23rd, 2017 at 9:02am

I am gobsmacked at the tasks they have for the Pressure Test 

I find them totally unfair...as George even said  the task is harder than they would find in a final...

to see poor Brian work so hard and be so stressed   was not comfortable viewing  I felt so much for him...

it was the same last week...impossible tasks  with impossible time limits.... it isnt as if they have had demonstrations of these constructions......

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Re: MasterCHef
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017 at 1:50pm

I have been watching My House Rules so I watch the 'encores' of Masterchef on Saturdays and Sundays when the whole week is repeated.  I will have to wait til then to comment.

I haven't remembered their names yet so not sure who Brian is.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2017 at 1:52pm

Bugger!  I went and had a look at the contestants on the website and I know who Brian is now and his pic is greyed out so I guess he was eliminated and I will already know the outcome.

The first time I saw him I thought he was retarded but, after watching him cook, he was really impressive.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2017 at 3:48pm

I've only ever watched the UK Masterchef (plus Professional Masterchef, etc). I presume the Aussie one is copying the British one?

Who are the Judges in the Aussie one?

British one has Gregg Wallace and John Torode (an Aussie). Gregg is the bald one.  Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2017 at 3:50pm

I think he has a battle with his family who of course are really traditional.....he seemed very sweet to me and the others loved him as well...I wish him well..

I like House Rules as well its so annoying the way the programmers   use them against each other....

like you I have to catch up at the weekend....

not sure how any of them can be winners in these cases.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2017 at 3:54pm

nef I have only seen the Brits one once  its a shocker compared to the Aussie one....judges  are Gary Mehigan
George Calombaris Matt Preston....its a much more interesting scenario...

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:29pm

Never watched the UK one.  Wouldn't have a clue who they were.

Tis a shame about Samuel being eliminated.  I liked him.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 4:13pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:29pm:
Never watched the UK one.  Wouldn't have a clue who they were.

Tis a shame about Samuel being eliminated.  I liked him.

Yes, I liked him too.....eliminated contestants cook tonight and one will win a return spot....hope it's him.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 5:25pm

Oh I didn't know that so don't tell me who gets back in as I binge watch all the week's episodes on Saturday and Sunday until My House Rules finishes.

I hope Samuel gets back in though.

I didn't particularly like the surly and quirky cook with the Cocky's comb hair.   Was it Jess?

I liked Pete the crane driver so I would be happy if he gets back in too.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 3:37pm

This could be the last season of Master Chef, if Ten's finances can't be sorted out.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 3:43pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
This could be the last season of Master Chef, if Ten's finances can't be sorted out.

Nah.

It's not produced by Channel 10.

They only air it.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 6:18pm

I Googled and found the latest episode (13 June) of the Aussie Masterchef. Watched it.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:31am by Neferti »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:15pm

they have some good cooks this year   but I am not overwhelmed by anyone as yet....Sarah looks like she can produce something out of the box and not all to do with Asian cuisine either which makes a change....

but I wish someone would fix her hair..

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:03pm

cods wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:15pm:
they have some good cooks this year   but I am not overwhelmed by anyone as yet....Sarah looks like she can produce something out of the box and not all to do with Asian cuisine either which makes a change....

but I wish someone would fix her hair..

Like I said Cods, I only watched the Aussie MasterChef episode the other night, so I don't "know" the contestants.  I have watched the British version and have "favourites" though.

There is another British Cooking thing on Foxtel called ... wait for it ....

Bake Off: The Professionals ...

.... cooking with miniature cakes, or something.  I wonder when the useless Aussie TV lot will copy this one as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ln6q0

I doubt that they will get the FRENCH judges in OZ though.  Grin

"my palate, my palate" ... by a person called Cherish.  Grin

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 8:35pm

there are a few cooking shows on SBS.. but they always seem to clash with something else I watch.....Fri and Sat are my ABC nights..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 8:32am

The Food Channel (33) has some good shows.

I hope Masterchef is on this weekend as the TV Guide says "to be advised" for its usual time slot.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 5:17pm

Tamara is back.  I think that was rigged.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 5:34pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jun 17th, 2017 at 5:17pm:
Tamara is back.  I think that was rigged.

I thought the same when I watched it during the week.  As I recall, the judges "hinted" she might rethink her chilli sauce as it may overpower the dish, so she toned it down with the "clever and creative" dish winning ingredients.  I meant to rewatch to see if they also gave hints to the other contestants, but forgot. Do you recall if this was the case????

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 10:11am

I was in and out of the room whilst I was watching but I didn't hear them try to help any of the others.

I felt they really didn't want to let her go when she was eliminated and it wouldn't have surprised me a great deal if they let someone else go instead but they did 'send her home' and I think they had every intention of bringing her back.

She's right on the bottom of my list now lol

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 10:37am

Yep, on mine too. I'm not persuaded her return to the comp was fair and square...

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #20 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 8:49am

I forgot to watch Masterchef yesterday ARGHHH!!

Today I will watch what I assume will be the elimination though and the Masterclass.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:04pm

I didnt watch it last night Sunday   they will be cooking with a lot of things I dont cook with so its hard to relate...watched House Rules instead   although that too is getting  where they do far too much to fit into a one hour show... it all gets broken up and hard to follow really.. one minute they are in the worst mess and so far behind the next its

fantastic finished and spotless..

anyway I have to see who wins... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:21pm

Is there a House Rules elimination tonight Cods?? I haven't watched a lot but there's one team I don't like still in it.......

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 6:59pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:21pm:
Is there a House Rules elimination tonight Cods?? I haven't watched a lot but there's one team I don't like still in it.......

its hard to tell they keep talking semi final...but its still about 3 teams...I dont think its the final....  because  the show is on tonight and tomorrow night...it may be just the judges tonight...

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:55pm

I don't think there is an elimination tonight.  Doesn't seem to be at this stage.

The final two teams will probably do the secret room?   I can't even remember who gives the points for that.  The Judges I assume.

This series they didn't really do any external work on the houses during the landscaping section.  Usually they paint or render the houses to make them look more attractive.

I like the boys.  I don't think they will win, but I like them.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 5:37am

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:55pm:
I don't think there is an elimination tonight.  Doesn't seem to be at this stage.

The final two teams will probably do the secret room?   I can't even remember who gives the points for that.  The Judges I assume.

This series they didn't really do any external work on the houses during the landscaping section.  Usually they paint or render the houses to make them look more attractive.

I like the boys.  I don't think they will win, but I like them.

yes I liked the boys...final this Sunday....

please tell me it isnt going to be replaced by something called Yummy Mummies   I think I am going to be sick.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 10:46am

I did but pass the TV by when it happened to be showing a trailer for Master Chef and there was a chubby-cheeked fairly young bloke being featured.
I thought he looks like a winner, is he still in it?
Don't know his name.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 10:51am

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 6th, 2017 at 10:46am:
I did but pass the TV by when it happened to be showing a trailer for Master Chef and there was a chubby-cheeked fairly young bloke being featured.
I thought he looks like a winner, is he still in it?
Don't know his name.

Yep, he's still there.........

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:54pm

A lot of Asians though, from my trailer's eye view, cooking a lot of Asian food.
Is this racial profiling?
Whatever happened to meat & three veg followed by apple & rhubarb pie?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 2:20pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:54pm:
A lot of Asians though, from my trailer's eye view, cooking a lot of Asian food.

they have a whole week in Japan   thats probably why!..

two Asians left on the show....and they do have a knack with pleasing the judges....Sara is doing very well... yet is up for elimination

its getting close to the sharp end boges..so keep an eye on it.. Callan  is the young guy hes 18....dont think he will win but he should go far in the world of food I reckon..my money is on Sara..

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #30 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 2:33pm

cods wrote on Jul 6th, 2017 at 2:20pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:54pm:

they have a whole week in Japan   thats probably why!..

two Asians left on the show....and they do have a knack with pleasing the judges....Sara is doing very well... yet is up for elimination

its getting close to the sharp end boges..so keep an eye on it.. Callan  is the young guy hes 18....dont think he will win but he should go far in the world of food I reckon..my money is on Sara..

Agree Cods.

Along with Sara or Diana, I'd be quite happy if any of the boys won...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 11:09pm

yes well Callan has gone but went out on a high...I hope he goes a long way..I think the girls are stronger than the boys this year alinta....so my  money is on one of the girls its going to be tough 

who do you want to win in House Rules?..

both teams are whiney   and the women are always bawling...they make me laugh  I am so tired  yet they still have their false eyelashes on and nail polish... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #32 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 12:13pm

Good luck to Callan.  What an amazing young man at only 19.  He sticks to his guns and should go a long way.

I thought the blonde pair would win My House Rules.    Aaron and Daniella?    Aaron is a powerhouse and after initially not liking him at first I grew to like him and his hard working, silent style very much.

I really liked the way both couples showed their affection and love for each other throughout the competition.  It was heart warming.   No matter what happened they always ended it with hugs, kisses and "I love you"

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #33 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 12:21pm

Now we have Yummy Mummies?   OMG I could not turn the TV off fast enough.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 10:01pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 12:13pm:
Good luck to Callan.  What an amazing young man at only 19.  He sticks to his guns and should go a long way.

I thought the blonde pair would win My House Rules.    Aaron and Daniella?    Aaron is a powerhouse and after initially not liking him at first I grew to like him and his hard working, silent style very much.

I really liked the way both couples showed their affection and love for each other throughout the competition.  It was heart warming.   No matter what happened they always ended it with hugs, kisses and "I love you"

they did do the best job in the end...I just got fed up with D.. tears...but all well that ends well...and look what they end up with a home thats value has increased 10 fold I would think..

as for master chef..

it was tough tonight   goodbye Eloise   she did well but over cooked it...... never mind she will go further I am sure...

as for yummy mummies   FORGET IT..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 8:14am

Sarahs  gone  I really thought she would make the final.....what sort of dish was that?...why dont they make realistic food I mean who would even have half the gadgets they use in these shows  its ridiculous
I am sure she isnt going to rush home and make that foam...lol..

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #36 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:56am

I was disappointed to see her go.  Both Diana and Sarah had an element missing and I thought from the guest chef's comment (during the tasting phase) about the lack of marmalade, that Diana was sure to be eliminated.

Sarah's elimination only made sense to me once Matt later stated that the ice cream lacked intensity. 

It probably won't happen but I'd love to see one of the boys win!!!

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #37 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:06am

Diana seems to keep under the radar and is almost insignificant and then you see her and think "wow I forgot about her".   

I really like Ben and I would like him to go the whole way and win.  For some reason I don't take to Tamara at all.  I don't know why.  It would not surprise me in the slightest if she is earmarked to win though.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:17am

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:06am:
Diana seems to keep under the radar and is almost insignificant and then you see her and think "wow I forgot about her".   

I really like Ben and I would like him to go the whole way and win.  For some reason I don't take to Tamara at all.  I don't know why.  It would not surprise me in the slightest if she is earmarked to win though.

haha.....me too !!!!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 1:19pm

Arun  looks good as well...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 9:30am

well he did look good until last night..

wow one bloke 3 girls....looks like the girls have it..

Karlie looks to have the staying power...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:00am

wow who would have thought Ben would get through that...amazing

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #42 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:23am

Ben is my favourite of the remaining four.  He has been growing on me more and more as the series has progressed and I would like to see him win.

I can watch it in real time now that the other shows I watched have ended.  YAY.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #43 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:03am

Am really pleased to see Ben go through.

Now for tonight's elimination......for strategic reasons, I want Tamara out of the competition.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:41am

Alinta wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:03am:

Now for tonight's elimination......for strategic reasons, I want Tamara out of the competition. 

what do you mean strategic alinta??......

whilst I dont mind the other two   they are a bit robotic..cool   or whatever..... to me it isnt normal to be that cool under those conditions..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:46am

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:23am:
Ben is my favourite of the remaining four.  He has been growing on me more and more as the series has progressed and I would like to see him win.

I can watch it in real time now that the other shows I watched have ended.  YAY.

I think he has surprised even himself...

BEN Ungermann has rocketed through to Sunday night’s MasterChef Australia Semi Final after one of the most demanding challenges in the show’s history.

The 32-year-old retail manager, from Queensland, got a free pass after winning a Dinner by Heston service challenge against Diana Chan, Tamara Graffen and Karlie Verkerk.

But Ungermann says he was left “physically and mentally broken” after the marathon cook.

The four contestants were each tasked with recreating a dish from Heston Blumenthal’s restaurant menu for 40 diners.

Verkerk cooked Frumenty — grilled octopus with spelt, sea vegetables, pickled lemons and a smoked mussel broth finished with bonito and white soy.

Graffen had to prepare roast grouper and green sauce, with braised witlof, peas and pickled onions.

Chan plated Beef Royal — a wagyu sirloin cooked over charcoal with mushroom ketchup, pickled and smoked onion, cows tongue and a sauce made from red wine and beef juice.

Ungermann got a doozy — the restaurant’s famed lamington cake which consisted of 105 steps. It was a layered cube consisting of chocolate biscuit, chocolate ganache, coconut sponge, a molten liquid centred raspberry dome and a white chocolate and rum mousse.

Although the lamington didn’t look complex, it was frightening knowing I was about to attempt a recipe with that many steps,” Ungermann said. “It seemed, in all honesty, unachievable.”

The contestants had five hours to prepare and cook before service began. Contestants cooked under the watchful eye of Dinner by Heston chef and director Ashley Palmer-Watts.

“Cooking these dishes on your own from scratch is a huge challenge and then plating yourself adds an extra layer of difficulty,” Palmer-Watts said. “This level of cooking is about consistency and thinking every step of the way.”

Verkerk was overwhelmed when she read her recipe. Palmer-Watts told her that it was the broth that would bring the whole dish together.

The 26-year-old copywriter, from New South Wales, hit a major hurdle with her lovage emulsion — a mix of egg yolks, Dijon mustard and lovage oil. She added the oil too quickly causing the emulsion to go runny.

Graffen had never cooked with grouper and wasted precious time filleting the large fish. Later the 28-year-old engineering officer from Western Australia forgot to flame her pipis.

Chan misread the recipe and made her beef portions too thick and ended up with a range of different sizes.

Ungermann took 30 minutes to read the recipe and hit a major hurdle when he forgot to include vodka in his ganache. He chose to modify the recipe and add the vodka in with a stick blender.

With all the contestants struggling, Palmer-Watts was forced to delay service by 30 minutes.

Verkerk’s dish was the first to be served to diners and judges Matt Preston, George Calombaris, Gary Mehigan and Palmer-Watts.

Verkerk was praised for cooking the octopus perfectly and getting the broth right but a glaring difference was one, instead of three, dollop of lovage emulsion.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Graffen was next and time forced her to leave the onions off her dish. The judges said the fish was cooked perfectly and the viscosity of the sauce was great but there was something out of balance with the flavour of the dish.

Chan was still a strong contender for dish of the day even though her steaks were different sizes. The dish looked great and the onions were cooked perfectly.

But it was Ben’s lamington that won the day. Each of the layers was there and the ice cream was amazing. Calombaris described it as “bang on”

By the end of the cook I was shattered,” Ungermann said. “It was the hardest thing I’ve had to do in my life. I have never felt so emotionally and physically destroyed. I’m not sure I would have been able to back up in the elimination the following day. It was utter relief to make it through to the Semis without having to cook off against the girls.”

Chan, Graffen and Verkerk will now fight it out for the remaining two spots in the Semi Final in an elimination cook-off tomorrow night.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #46 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:51am

cods wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:41am:

whilst I dont mind the other two   they are a bit robotic..cool   or whatever..... to me it isnt normal to be that cool under those conditions..

I think Tamara poses the greatest risk to Ben winning the comp Cods, so I want her out.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #47 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 11:25am

Imagine prepping for five hours for only 40 people with a recipe with 105 steps?  The stress would be incredible.

I would like to see Tamara out too.   The other two are wild cards.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:32pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:51am:

I think Tamara poses the greatest risk to Ben winning the comp Cods, so I want her out.

hahahah got it.. I think  Karlie is a huge threat....Tamara does shine in these  eliminations though I agree.....

there is something fishy about that test though..

they all seem to know where everything is in that huge kitchen   not only that they knew how to work everything... Roll Eyes

or do I just have a suspicious mind. Smiley
wot me!

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #49 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 5:12pm

cods wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:32pm:

hahahah got it.. I think  Karlie is a huge threat....Tamara does shine in these  eliminations though I agree.....

they all seem to know where everything is in that huge kitchen   not only that they knew how to work everything... Roll Eyes

wot me
!

Grin......my elderly neighbour's daughter is one of the head honchos at Melb Showgrounds where the Masterchef kitchen is located.  Said daughter has told me that if you attend the filming of an episode and later watch when it 
airs on TV you'd be gobsmacked at the degree of editing.  Not surprising really I guess - MKR is the same....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 5:30pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 5:12pm:
cods wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:32pm:

wot me
!

Grin......my elderly neighbour's daughter is one of the head honchos at Melb Showgrounds where the Masterchef kitchen is located.  Said daughter has told me that if you attend the filming of an episode and later watch when it 
airs on TV you'd be gobsmacked at the degree of editing.  Not surprising really I guess - MKR is the same....

well a 5 hour prep and serves   yes I believe   and when they are in the MC kitchen  its all cleaned up before they present their food.....how that works I will never know...unless they have two kitchens..lol..  but they would have need a couple of hours to go over the Heston kitchens  I would think...just ridiculous of them to think  we think they just walk in and start..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #51 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:03pm

Well Tamara is a threat no more!!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:56am

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:03pm:
Well Tamara is a threat no more!!

so who do you reckon....my money is on karlie...I do hope they have a test to do  as when its left up to them  and the girls choose Asian   I think its pretty unfair   they are both well skilled in that dept.....

does this seem to have been a long season?

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #53 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:36am

Semi-Finals: Service Challenge - The Top Three, Diana, Karlie and Ben have to each cook a 2-course meal for 20 guests in order to advance to the finals.

That's all I can find.........very general description and as it's a semi final I hope on the night we find it's more specific than just "whatever you want to cook".

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:27pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:36am:
Semi-Finals: Service Challenge - The Top Three, Diana, Karlie and Ben have to each cook a 2-course meal for 20 guests in order to advance to the finals.

That's all I can find.........very general description and as it's a semi final I hope on the night we find it's more specific than just "whatever you want to cook".

in the final I think its 5 courses isnt it??>..

two would finish me...

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #55 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:46pm

2016 Cods....I expect this year will probably be similar rounds.

Grand Finale - The finale took place over three rounds: entree, main and dessert. In the entree round, the judges had chosen a selection of core ingredients from which Elena picked marron and Matt picked quail. Matt's confit quail and sauce received 26 points out of 30, while Elena's marron two ways lacked depth of flavour in the dashi sauce and she scored 23 points.
For the main course, there were no rules, with contestants cooking whatever they liked in 75 minutes. Both Matt's crispy skin barramundi with prawn and pancetta sauce and Elena's twice-cooked lamb and smoked vegetables received perfect scores of 30 from the judges. Matt took the lead with the total score of 56 while Elena got 53 points total.

The finale then came down to dessert: Heston Blumenthal and Ashley Palmer-Watts' "Verjus in Egg" creation. Both contestants had struggles, with Elena having to remake her 'egg yolk' jelly and Matt his coconut panna cotta 'egg white'. In the end, this led to Matt running out of time and not being able to seal the tempered chocolate egg shell on his dish, which split apart. Matt's dessert cost him the win, scoring 7 points from each of the four judges, giving him a total score of 84. Elena scored 8 each from Matt, George and Gary and 9 from Heston and Ashley, giving her 86 points.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:32pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:46pm:
2016 Cods....I expect this year will probably be similar rounds.

Grand Finale - The finale took place over three rounds: entree, main and dessert. In the entree round, the judges had chosen a selection of core ingredients from which Elena picked marron and Matt picked quail. Matt's confit quail and sauce received 26 points out of 30, while Elena's marron two ways lacked depth of flavour in the dashi sauce and she scored 23 points.
For the main course, there were no rules, with contestants cooking whatever they liked in 75 minutes. Both Matt's crispy skin barramundi with prawn and pancetta sauce and Elena's twice-cooked lamb and smoked vegetables received perfect scores of 30 from the judges. Matt took the lead with the total score of 56 while Elena got 53 points total.

The finale then came down to dessert: Heston Blumenthal and Ashley Palmer-Watts' "Verjus in Egg" creation. Both contestants had struggles, with Elena having to remake her 'egg yolk' jelly and Matt his coconut panna cotta 'egg white'. In the end, this led to Matt running out of time and not being able to seal the tempered chocolate egg shell on his dish, which split apart. Matt's dessert cost him the win, scoring 7 points from each of the four judges, giving him a total score of 84. Elena scored 8 each from Matt, George and Gary and 9 from Heston and Ashley, giving her 86 points.

I didnt see it alinta  I think it clashed last year with MKR and I was sort of hooked on that.....its sounds like it went to the wire.....lets hope its the same this year

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:04am

wow Ben and Diane   Diane looks so in control   havent seen her get a hair out of place......Ben will have to really pull something out of the hat     best of luck to them both   they are both worthy   of the title Ben has a little more human essence about him..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #58 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 1:03pm

I am pushing for Ben and I hope he holds it together tonight.  Whether he wins or loses though I think the future for him and his family will take a drastic upward turn.

Here's hoping.

IP Logged

Moriaty

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:19pm

Well done Diana! Bad luck Ben. Best cook won it though. Not a dry eye in this house...  Embarrassed

Defend Free-speech. Say no to censorship on this forum! Defend the freedoms our soldiers fought for against the Fascist-racist forces of evil!

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #60 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:31pm

Yep, hope they both progress far within the industry. Ben's boy captured my heart....

« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:13pm by Alinta »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 7:51am

he came back from 4 down  not to be sneezed at...

lets hope we hear more of him  ..I didnt see his son at the end.. maybe it was too much for him...

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #62 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 4:11pm

Ben did come back but I still don't agree with the scoring for the final round.

Neither had the runny centre so that made them even there.

Diana's mandarin chocolate coating was too thick and just squished when cut and Ben's pear chocolate coating was too thick because he dropped it so that made them even there too.

But they all said Diana's mandarin just didn't have the flavour and they all said that Ben's had amazing flavour, especially Matt.

So in my opinion, Gary should not have marked Ben down with an 8 and Matt should not have marked Diana up with a 9, both of which were odd scores out.   But that would have meant that the scores would have been even so they pushed Diana into a win and knocked Ben out.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:47pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 4:11pm:
Ben did come back but I still don't agree with the scoring for the final round.

Neither had the runny centre so that made them even there.

Diana's mandarin chocolate coating was too thick and just squished when cut and Ben's pear chocolate coating was too thick because he dropped it so that made them even there too.

But they all said Diana's mandarin just didn't have the flavour and they all said that Ben's had amazing flavour, especially Matt.

So in my opinion, Gary should not have marked Ben down with an 8 and Matt should not have marked Diana up with a 9, both of which were odd scores out.   But that would have meant that the scores would have been even so they pushed Diana into a win and knocked Ben out.

yes I got the feeling they didnt do the right thing  Bens looked a lot more like the original as well.....a bit sad really but I guess there can only be one winner.....lets hope she doesnt take the win back to Malaysia....I found her rather mechanical to be honest...

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #64 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 6:03pm

I had to wonder if it is because she is Malaysian that they chose put her over the line.   *shrug*

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 10:16am

I have started watching the Bachelor  I know a glutton for punishment.. Smiley

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #66 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 11:35am

cods wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 10:16am:

haha Cods.....to each their own I say.  I once watched a series of Big Brother! Embarrassed

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 12:54pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 11:35am:
cods wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 10:16am:

haha Cods.....to each their own I say.  I once watched a series of Big Brother! Embarrassed

the trashier the better lately...lolol...I have a sneaky suss they go out of their way to find really bitchy females to go on these shows....not one nice word was spoken last night....and one of them is so vulgar  no one would want to date her..awful women...but I am hooked..and silly dresses that look so uncomfortable  its cringeworthy..

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #68 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 5:46pm

1 is it true there's never been a male master chef winner

2 was this a multi-culti fix

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #69 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 6:46pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 5:46pm:

1. no

2. don't know.......am still scratching my head over the scoring in the final round of the GF that saw Diana win. My opinion only, but I think two of judges "got it wrong."  Interpret that as you wish.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:01pm by Alinta »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:20am

Alinta wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 6:46pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 5:46pm:

1. no

2. don't know.......am still scratching my head over the scoring in the final round of the GF that saw Diana win. My opinion only, but I think two of judges "got it wrong."  Interpret that as you wish.

spot on...I think the prize money is unfair as well....

winner $250.000+ and second $40.000... they both put in the same effort and in this case 1 point separated them....I think masterchef should do more for the runner up..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #71 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:13am

I disagree with the scoring in the final round and thought, yet again, ARGHHHH!!!

The difference in prize money between 1st and 2nd doesn't bother me though and they do help the runner up.  I am sure Ben will be offered a great opportunity by one of the celebrity guest chefs.

He may even get his own tv food show.  Quite a few of the Masterchef contestants who did not win have their own food shows on various channels.   Poh, Hayden Quinn, Ben Milbourne, Justine Schofield.

I haven't watched The Block for awhile so I think that is going to be my replacement.  It starts on Sunday.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #72 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 1:23pm

I have been enjoying The Block because I haven't watched it for a few seasons.

Ronnie and Georgia are supposed to be experienced renovators with having done 10 houses?    You could have fooled me!!   I am not that keen on Georgia either.  There is always one though right?

Sticks and Wombat are a surprise packet with their detailing and styling.  I hope they do well.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 1:45pm

Black Orchid wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 1:23pm:
I have been enjoying The Block because I haven't watched it for a few seasons.

Ronnie and Georgia are supposed to be experienced renovators with having done 10 houses?    You could have fooled me!!   I am not that keen on Georgia either.  There is always one though right?

Sticks and Wombat are a surprise packet with their detailing and styling.  I hope they do well.

me too I havent watched the block in a long time....

what about the bathroom, $40.000 and I thought it was horrible...anyway...sheeees and they are sticking with the builder... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes makes me wonder what sort of builders they have as keithy comes along and makes them dig up just about every floor....

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #74 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 5:24pm

Ronnie amuses me but his wife, Georgia, irritates the Hell out of me.  God I hope she doesn't win.  She is way too self assured, cocky and   ...   well   ...   a bitch!!

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #75 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 2:10pm

I felt a bit sorry for Georgia last night but I still do not take to her.   She is a cow.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print