Send Topic Print
MasterCHef (Read 11139 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: MasterCHef
Reply #45 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:46am

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:23am:
Ben is my favourite of the remaining four.  He has been growing on me more and more as the series has progressed and I would like to see him win.

I can watch it in real time now that the other shows I watched have ended.  YAY.

I think he has surprised even himself...

BEN Ungermann has rocketed through to Sunday night’s MasterChef Australia Semi Final after one of the most demanding challenges in the show’s history.

The 32-year-old retail manager, from Queensland, got a free pass after winning a Dinner by Heston service challenge against Diana Chan, Tamara Graffen and Karlie Verkerk.

But Ungermann says he was left “physically and mentally broken” after the marathon cook.

The four contestants were each tasked with recreating a dish from Heston Blumenthal’s restaurant menu for 40 diners.

Verkerk cooked Frumenty — grilled octopus with spelt, sea vegetables, pickled lemons and a smoked mussel broth finished with bonito and white soy.

Graffen had to prepare roast grouper and green sauce, with braised witlof, peas and pickled onions.

Chan plated Beef Royal — a wagyu sirloin cooked over charcoal with mushroom ketchup, pickled and smoked onion, cows tongue and a sauce made from red wine and beef juice.

Ungermann got a doozy — the restaurant’s famed lamington cake which consisted of 105 steps. It was a layered cube consisting of chocolate biscuit, chocolate ganache, coconut sponge, a molten liquid centred raspberry dome and a white chocolate and rum mousse.

Although the lamington didn’t look complex, it was frightening knowing I was about to attempt a recipe with that many steps,” Ungermann said. “It seemed, in all honesty, unachievable.”

The contestants had five hours to prepare and cook before service began. Contestants cooked under the watchful eye of Dinner by Heston chef and director Ashley Palmer-Watts.

“Cooking these dishes on your own from scratch is a huge challenge and then plating yourself adds an extra layer of difficulty,” Palmer-Watts said. “This level of cooking is about consistency and thinking every step of the way.”

Verkerk was overwhelmed when she read her recipe. Palmer-Watts told her that it was the broth that would bring the whole dish together.

The 26-year-old copywriter, from New South Wales, hit a major hurdle with her lovage emulsion — a mix of egg yolks, Dijon mustard and lovage oil. She added the oil too quickly causing the emulsion to go runny.

Graffen had never cooked with grouper and wasted precious time filleting the large fish. Later the 28-year-old engineering officer from Western Australia forgot to flame her pipis.

Chan misread the recipe and made her beef portions too thick and ended up with a range of different sizes.

Ungermann took 30 minutes to read the recipe and hit a major hurdle when he forgot to include vodka in his ganache. He chose to modify the recipe and add the vodka in with a stick blender.

With all the contestants struggling, Palmer-Watts was forced to delay service by 30 minutes.

Verkerk’s dish was the first to be served to diners and judges Matt Preston, George Calombaris, Gary Mehigan and Palmer-Watts.

Verkerk was praised for cooking the octopus perfectly and getting the broth right but a glaring difference was one, instead of three, dollop of lovage emulsion.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Graffen was next and time forced her to leave the onions off her dish. The judges said the fish was cooked perfectly and the viscosity of the sauce was great but there was something out of balance with the flavour of the dish.

Chan was still a strong contender for dish of the day even though her steaks were different sizes. The dish looked great and the onions were cooked perfectly.

But it was Ben’s lamington that won the day. Each of the layers was there and the ice cream was amazing. Calombaris described it as “bang on”

By the end of the cook I was shattered,” Ungermann said. “It was the hardest thing I’ve had to do in my life. I have never felt so emotionally and physically destroyed. I’m not sure I would have been able to back up in the elimination the following day. It was utter relief to make it through to the Semis without having to cook off against the girls.”

Chan, Graffen and Verkerk will now fight it out for the remaining two spots in the Semi Final in an elimination cook-off tomorrow night.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #46 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:51am

cods wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:41am:
Alinta wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:03am:
Am really pleased to see Ben go through.

Now for tonight's elimination......for strategic reasons, I want Tamara out of the competition. 

what do you mean strategic alinta??......

whilst I dont mind the other two   they are a bit robotic..cool   or whatever..... to me it isnt normal to be that cool under those conditions..

I think Tamara poses the greatest risk to Ben winning the comp Cods, so I want her out.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #47 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 11:25am

Imagine prepping for five hours for only 40 people with a recipe with 105 steps?  The stress would be incredible.

I would like to see Tamara out too.   The other two are wild cards.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:32pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:51am:

Now for tonight's elimination......for strategic reasons, I want Tamara out of the competition. 

whilst I dont mind the other two   they are a bit robotic..cool   or whatever..... to me it isnt normal to be that cool under those conditions..

I think Tamara poses the greatest risk to Ben winning the comp Cods, so I want her out.

hahahah got it.. I think  Karlie is a huge threat....Tamara does shine in these  eliminations though I agree.....

there is something fishy about that test though..

they all seem to know where everything is in that huge kitchen   not only that they knew how to work everything... Roll Eyes

or do I just have a suspicious mind. Smiley
wot me!

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #49 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 5:12pm

cods wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:32pm:

hahahah got it.. I think  Karlie is a huge threat....Tamara does shine in these  eliminations though I agree.....

they all seem to know where everything is in that huge kitchen   not only that they knew how to work everything... Roll Eyes

wot me
!

Grin......my elderly neighbour's daughter is one of the head honchos at Melb Showgrounds where the Masterchef kitchen is located.  Said daughter has told me that if you attend the filming of an episode and later watch when it 
airs on TV you'd be gobsmacked at the degree of editing.  Not surprising really I guess - MKR is the same....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 5:30pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 5:12pm:
cods wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:32pm:

wot me
!

Grin......my elderly neighbour's daughter is one of the head honchos at Melb Showgrounds where the Masterchef kitchen is located.  Said daughter has told me that if you attend the filming of an episode and later watch when it 
airs on TV you'd be gobsmacked at the degree of editing.  Not surprising really I guess - MKR is the same....

well a 5 hour prep and serves   yes I believe   and when they are in the MC kitchen  its all cleaned up before they present their food.....how that works I will never know...unless they have two kitchens..lol..  but they would have need a couple of hours to go over the Heston kitchens  I would think...just ridiculous of them to think  we think they just walk in and start..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #51 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:03pm

Well Tamara is a threat no more!!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:56am

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:03pm:
Well Tamara is a threat no more!!

so who do you reckon....my money is on karlie...I do hope they have a test to do  as when its left up to them  and the girls choose Asian   I think its pretty unfair   they are both well skilled in that dept.....

does this seem to have been a long season?

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #53 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:36am

Semi-Finals: Service Challenge - The Top Three, Diana, Karlie and Ben have to each cook a 2-course meal for 20 guests in order to advance to the finals.

That's all I can find.........very general description and as it's a semi final I hope on the night we find it's more specific than just "whatever you want to cook".

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:27pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:36am:
Semi-Finals: Service Challenge - The Top Three, Diana, Karlie and Ben have to each cook a 2-course meal for 20 guests in order to advance to the finals.

That's all I can find.........very general description and as it's a semi final I hope on the night we find it's more specific than just "whatever you want to cook".

in the final I think its 5 courses isnt it??>..

two would finish me...

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #55 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:46pm

2016 Cods....I expect this year will probably be similar rounds.

Grand Finale - The finale took place over three rounds: entree, main and dessert. In the entree round, the judges had chosen a selection of core ingredients from which Elena picked marron and Matt picked quail. Matt's confit quail and sauce received 26 points out of 30, while Elena's marron two ways lacked depth of flavour in the dashi sauce and she scored 23 points.
For the main course, there were no rules, with contestants cooking whatever they liked in 75 minutes. Both Matt's crispy skin barramundi with prawn and pancetta sauce and Elena's twice-cooked lamb and smoked vegetables received perfect scores of 30 from the judges. Matt took the lead with the total score of 56 while Elena got 53 points total.

The finale then came down to dessert: Heston Blumenthal and Ashley Palmer-Watts' "Verjus in Egg" creation. Both contestants had struggles, with Elena having to remake her 'egg yolk' jelly and Matt his coconut panna cotta 'egg white'. In the end, this led to Matt running out of time and not being able to seal the tempered chocolate egg shell on his dish, which split apart. Matt's dessert cost him the win, scoring 7 points from each of the four judges, giving him a total score of 84. Elena scored 8 each from Matt, George and Gary and 9 from Heston and Ashley, giving her 86 points.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:32pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:46pm:
2016 Cods....I expect this year will probably be similar rounds.

Grand Finale - The finale took place over three rounds: entree, main and dessert. In the entree round, the judges had chosen a selection of core ingredients from which Elena picked marron and Matt picked quail. Matt's confit quail and sauce received 26 points out of 30, while Elena's marron two ways lacked depth of flavour in the dashi sauce and she scored 23 points.
For the main course, there were no rules, with contestants cooking whatever they liked in 75 minutes. Both Matt's crispy skin barramundi with prawn and pancetta sauce and Elena's twice-cooked lamb and smoked vegetables received perfect scores of 30 from the judges. Matt took the lead with the total score of 56 while Elena got 53 points total.

The finale then came down to dessert: Heston Blumenthal and Ashley Palmer-Watts' "Verjus in Egg" creation. Both contestants had struggles, with Elena having to remake her 'egg yolk' jelly and Matt his coconut panna cotta 'egg white'. In the end, this led to Matt running out of time and not being able to seal the tempered chocolate egg shell on his dish, which split apart. Matt's dessert cost him the win, scoring 7 points from each of the four judges, giving him a total score of 84. Elena scored 8 each from Matt, George and Gary and 9 from Heston and Ashley, giving her 86 points.

I didnt see it alinta  I think it clashed last year with MKR and I was sort of hooked on that.....its sounds like it went to the wire.....lets hope its the same this year

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:04am

wow Ben and Diane   Diane looks so in control   havent seen her get a hair out of place......Ben will have to really pull something out of the hat     best of luck to them both   they are both worthy   of the title Ben has a little more human essence about him..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #58 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 1:03pm

I am pushing for Ben and I hope he holds it together tonight.  Whether he wins or loses though I think the future for him and his family will take a drastic upward turn.

Here's hoping.

IP Logged

Moriaty

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:19pm

Well done Diana! Bad luck Ben. Best cook won it though. Not a dry eye in this house...  Embarrassed

Defend Free-speech. Say no to censorship on this forum! Defend the freedoms our soldiers fought for against the Fascist-racist forces of evil!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print