Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Productivity/ pay rises (Read 252 times)
miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Productivity/ pay rises
May 20th, 2017 at 7:37pm

There was a thread recently discussing wage rises and needing productivity.

Its my contention that we (from my many observations) have terrible managers and this is holding back productivity and wage rises.

Forget this being a Lab vs Lib thing neither party will address the problem.

Now it occurs to me that in so many areas we need to have a qualification to do certain work,, think Drs, lawyers,sparkies, mechanics.

Yet any chump or sociopath can become a manger of staff no training compulsory.

I contend that bad managers can cause all sorts of human damage on a worksite, offices anywhere.

I know Worksafe are now searching for psychological hazards in the workplace. (I had a visit from them this week)
At the moment Worksafe have bugger all chance of controlling bullying and the sociopath managers.
They think they can, but I bet everyone on this forum has seen workplaces with appalling managers damaging people.

I think any managers should have to have training, and workplaces should have confidential 360 degree workplace appraisals.

In the company I am with at the moment in my direct area we have one sociopath and one brilliant manager.
The sociopath has had a huge staff turnover (so the company is reluctant to train his staff), one worker head butted the sociopath and was about to snot him if the mechanic had not driven his car between them and bundled the sociopath in the car to get him away.
Of course the young bloke got the sac, no questions from the company about the management.
The sociopath had told me, "its easy to get rid of anyone, you just keep riding their case, they will leave"

The young bloke that snapped was an indigenous person who had injured his back on the job, the sociopath was making him just sit in the office doing nothing, he had also made snide comments about the young bloke being a bludger.
This young bloke had been with the company for 18 months with no problems before the sociopath joined the company.

At the same time we have a good manager that has created a fantastic team, no absenteeism, no injuries, no resignations every week and they are completing a very difficult task.

The sociopath is a classic, sucking up to the bosses and back stabbing just about any other manager.

If our company (dont have any HR staff) could get all managers working as well as our best one and weeded out the sociopaths ,,, we may not be going broke as we are.

But the sociopaths know how to shmooze the bosses,,, perhaps if we could have compulsory 360 degree appraisals we may be able to identify the scumbags from an outside agency (Worksafe) and they could identify and  control the physiological hazards in a workplace.

It could only be done in workplaces of a certain size, poor bastards working for sole traders or family businesses will still have to deal with aresholes.

And yes, I did have a long and meaningful conversation with Worksafe. (I think perhaps at last some one has reported our sociopath manager, but Worksafe can and will do nothing)

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Productivity/ pay rises
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2017 at 9:22pm

Poor management may affect the productivity of individual workplaces. Economy wide is very minor. Productivity is primarily a factor of technology uptake.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2017 at 10:51pm

Been tellin' yez for years now that two gigantic swear words in Australia these days are 'management' and 'politics'.... it seems the fools actually in those glass castles and card houses will not realise it until they are on the scaffold...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2017 at 11:01pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 10:51pm:
Been tellin' yez for years now that two gigantic swear words in Australia these days are 'management' and 'politics'.... it seems the fools actually in those glass castles and card houses will not realise it until they are on the scaffold...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/John_Brown_ascending_t...

Telling us doesn't make it so.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2017 at 1:16am

crocodile wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 11:01pm:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/John_Brown_ascending_t...

Argh - one may lead a horse to water.... but he may well die of thirst.....  Cool

If politics and management were so successful - why is this nation on its knees?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2017 at 8:17am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 1:16am:
crocodile wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 11:01pm:

Argh - one may lead a horse to water.... but he may well die of thirst.....  Cool

If politics and management were so successful - why is this nation on its knees?

Perhaps the nation is the horse in your metaphor.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print