Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
I have often wondered (Read 5078 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

I have often wondered
May 20th, 2017 at 4:37pm

what it is that attracts people to become forum members?
I mean a public forum isnt really a place to discuss ones health problems or mental worries for that matter..

so why else start airing your opinions in a public place....I cant see anyone holding fort in a pub for instance telling anyone that cares to listen...about their hernia operation or what they would like to do to a page three model... Roll Eyes

a forum like this is an amazing place really  unlike facebook where people actually know the person.. here we are all nameless and faceless yet we talk as if we know each other.....

and we even dislike each other  and say so....no holds barred   I am sure we wouldnt say that to someone face....lolol..we even let people bring the worst side of us out.... Cheesy  we are nuts!!!!

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: I have often wondered
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:51pm

I agree cods...there are some strange behaviour that happens on a forum. I see it every day. I wish I could figure out some pp..?  Roll Eyes

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:53pm

yes.

It is sort of a social meeting area

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2017 at 5:14pm

atm there is a lot of talk about posting personal information...as evidenced in the Feedback thread....I kind of lean toward the veiw that if the poster posts sensititive info about themselves then they should not be surprised if they experience repercussions, niave to expect otherwise and making others responsible for their mistakes by banning and censor is wrong..what about free speech? commenting on a topic is what a forum is all about isnt it

This is really about a free speech dichotomy isnt it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2017 at 5:28pm

Agnes wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 5:14pm:
atm there is a lot of talk about posting personal information...as evidenced in the Feedback thread....I kind of lean toward the veiw that if the poster posts sensititive info about themselves then they should not be surprised if they experience repercussions, niave to expect otherwise and making others responsible for their mistakes by banning and censor is wrong..what about free speech? commenting on a topic is what a forum is all about isnt it

but then we have the "abuse" dictum.....when does freedom of speech and abuse cross the line?..

many moons ago I mentioned how I lost my husband to cancer   that brought forth all sorts of things like I "bet hes glad hes dead".it was ll still pretty raw fo me as I had never experienced that type of abuse....I took it to be really meaningful hatred....I am slightly tougher now thank god.. but then it was terrible   and I was shocked to see people go to those lengths to be cruel... but they do ...

as we see here every day   some folks only come on forums to argue...they love it thrive on it...it would break their heart if someone didnt give them an excuse to hound them ...... I dont get angry anymore  I do get exasperated  and leave because why get pizzed off with someone you do not know  and more to the point DONT WANT TO KNOW>...thats the way I look at it...

if you cant have a reasonable conversation agree to disagree   as thats what makes the world go round....

then why get into a rage....its so obvious that a few people only want to antaganise just for the sake of it...I make my opinion known by steering well clear....

agnes FOS doesnt give you the right to abuse someone  even in the most subtle of ways... Wink Wink

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2017 at 5:34pm

cods wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 5:28pm:

but then we have the "abuse" dictum.....when does freedom of speech and abuse cross the line?..

many moons ago I mentioned how I lost my husband to cancer   that brought forth all sorts of things like I "bet hes glad hes dead".it was ll still pretty raw fo me as I had never experienced that type of abuse....I took it to be really meaningful hatred....I am slightly tougher now thank god.. but then it was terrible   and I was shocked to see people go to those lengths to be cruel... but they do ...

as we see here every day   some folks only come on forums to argue...they love it thrive on it...it would break their heart if someone didnt give them an excuse to hound them ...... I dont get angry anymore  I do get exasperated  and leave because why get pizzed off with someone you do not know  and more to the point DONT WANT TO KNOW>...thats the way I look at it...

if you cant have a reasonable conversation agree to disagree   as thats what makes the world go round....

then why get into a rage....its so obvious that a few people only want to antaganise just for the sake of it...I make my opinion known by steering well clear....

agnes FOS doesnt give you the right to abuse someone  even in the most subtle of ways... Wink Wink

You are right and  that is not what I was saying either... a complex topic.. but there is nastiness in the world and it will come at you sometimes..like it or not. If you put stuff out there some creep will harvest and use it against you at some point, be prepared is all I really mean..

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2017 at 5:35pm

getting the  balance right on a forum can be difficult.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2017 at 5:42pm

Agnes wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 5:35pm:
getting the  balance right on a forum can be difficult.

yes who would be a MOD  dead if you do and dead if you dont..

dunno about anyone else but I find arguing exhausting....no one likes losing an argument but some folks I find actually seem to thrive on them and even start them well thats how I see it....

so they must seek out forums that they can do so at will.....PA would b e a good place for them  except  you get what you give out over there....and I am not sure those that enjoy an argument also enjoy being told to F.Orf...lolol

there is no perfect world  is there??...

some folks do seem to get banned more often than others.....I think that speaks volumes but at the same time it doesnt seem to change attitudes does it?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #8 - May 20th, 2017 at 5:50pm

some of the arguements in this place can go on for weeks and the case of the PA stuff..years Shocked Shocked

I just dont have the time or interest lol.. we know who the main offenders are...the ones who love to argue a point to extinction ah ha.  definitely feel sorry for mods..

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:00pm

I have had to talk to my daughter about this..strangers will not respect your information/plight.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:08pm

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm saying I will not tolerate. Would you have liked someone to stop that kind of thing back then cods?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:31pm

Setanta wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 6:08pm:

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm saying I will not tolerate. Would you have liked someone to stop that kind of thing back then cods?

well I was horrified  and eventually FD acted I believe the person that was extremely bad was permanently banned.. eventually he was horrific  I upset him and thats was the end of it..he never let up...and of course I have had a few others also use it was a weapon....they know who they are....

it show the level of their behavior more than anything...and of course gmods need to take that on board....its good to see someone taking action..but some folks dont seem to mind being banned   they come back for more.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. can I make a suggestion  the cruel post that they make  also gets disappeared...because others who take a dislike to someone can use that info for a weapon... and its cruel as well as disgusting...

some folks can fight insults and nasty with more insults and nasty   but some of us prefer not to go that route....so thank you for telling those who do it   you are on to them....

maybe some name and shame would make a difference in some cases Sad

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:32pm

I started using online chat forums when I was in a remote town in Laos / Vietnam for 3 and 6 months respectively.  There were few westerners but ok www so gave me a bit of time to talk rubbish Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:37pm

cods wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:37pm:
I mean a public forum isnt really a place to discuss ones health problems or mental worries for that matter..

so why else start airing your opinions in a public place....I cant see anyone holding fort in a pub for instance telling anyone that cares to listen...about their hernia operation or what they would like to do to a page three model... Roll Eyes

a forum like this is an amazing place really  unlike facebook where people actually know the person.. here we are all nameless and faceless yet we talk as if we know each other.....

and we even dislike each other  and say so....no holds barred   I am sure we wouldnt say that to someone face....lolol..we even let people bring the worst side of us out.... Cheesy  we are nuts!!!!

Cods should interrogate itself and publish the results. Torture is permitted to expose the truth.

Cods posts some of the most inane stuff on Ozpolitic like the thread on buying a frypan.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:39pm

Unforgiven wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
cods wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:37pm:

Cods should interrogate itself and publish the results. Torture is permitted to expose the truth.

Cods posts some of the most inane stuff on Ozpolitic like the thread on buying a frypan.

So don't read it.  I'll post a new kettlebell thread if you like

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print