Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Petrol cars will vanish in 8 years (Read 2296 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Petrol cars will vanish in 8 years
May 19th, 2017 at 11:48am

For years I tolds ya so...

Of course you wouldn't believe it considering how little is being done on this front in this country !! But the rest of the world is not going to wait for a puny little gathering of Neanderthals in Australia to get off their addiction to fossil fools.

Where's longprong58 ??

Hey juliar it's your worst nightmare Cheesy LOL

Quote:
Petrol cars will vanish in 8 years, says US report from Stanford economist

No more petrol or diesel cars, buses, or trucks will be sold anywhere in the world within eight years. The entire market for land transport will switch to electrification, leading to a collapse of oil prices and the demise of the petroleum industry as we have known it for a century.

This is the futuristic forecast by Stanford University economist Tony Seba. The professor's report, with the deceptively bland title Rethinking Transportation 2020-2030, has gone viral in green circles and is causing spasms of anxiety in the established industries.

Mr Seba's premise is that people will stop driving altogether. They will switch en masse to self-drive electric vehicles (EVs) that are 10 times cheaper to run than fossil-based cars, with a near-zero marginal cost of fuel and an expected lifespan of 1 million miles (1.6 million kilometres).

Only nostalgics will cling to the old habit of car ownership. The rest will adapt to vehicles on demand. It will become harder to find a petrol station, spares, or anybody to fix the 2000 moving parts that bedevil the internal combustion engine. Dealers will disappear by 2024.

Cities will ban human drivers once the data confirms how dangerous they can be behind a wheel. This will spread to suburbs, and then beyond. There will be a "mass stranding of existing vehicles". The value of second-hard cars will plunge. You will have to pay to dispose of your old vehicle.

It is a twin "death spiral" for big oil and big autos, with ugly implications for some big companies on the London Stock Exchange unless they adapt in time.

The long-term price of crude will fall to $US25 a barrel. Most forms of shale and deep-water drilling will no longer be viable. Assets will be stranded. Scotland will forfeit any North Sea bonanza. Russia, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and Venezuela will be in trouble.

It is an existential threat to Ford, General Motors, and the German car industry. They will face a choice between manufacturing EVs in a brutal low-profit market, or reinventing themselves a self-drive service companies, variants of Uber and Lyft.

They are in the wrong business. The next generation of cars will be "computers on wheels". Google, Apple, and Foxconn have the disruptive edge, and are going in for the kill. Silicon Valley is where the auto action is, not Detroit, Wolfsburg, or Toyota City.

The shift, according to Mr Seba, is driven by technology, not climate policies. Market forces are bringing it about with a speed and ferocity that governments could never hope to achieve.

"We are on the cusp of one of the fastest, deepest, most consequential disruptions of transportation in history," Mr Seba said. "Internal combustion engine vehicles will enter a vicious cycle of increasing costs."

The "tipping point" will arrive over the next two to three years as EV battery ranges surpass 200 miles and electric car prices in the US drop to $US30,000 ($40,600). By 2022, the low-end models will be down to $US20,000. After that, the avalanche will sweep all before it.

"What the cost curve says is that by 2025 all new vehicles will be electric, all new buses, all new cars, all new tractors, all new vans, anything that moves on wheels will be electric, globally," Mr Seba said.

"Global oil demand will peak at 100 million barrels per day by 2020, dropping to 70 million by 2030." There will be oil demand for use in the chemical industries, and for aviation, though Nasa and Boeing are working on hybrid-electric aircraft for short-haul passenger flights.

Mr Seba said the residual stock of fossil-based vehicles will take time to clear, but 95 per cent of the miles driven by 2030 in the US will be in autonomous EVs for reasons of costs, convenience, and efficiency. Oil use for road transport will crash from 8 million barrels a day to 1 million.

Insurance costs to fall by 90 per cent

The cost per mile for EVs will be 6.8 cents, rendering petrol cars obsolete. Insurance costs will fall by 90 per cent. The average American household will save $US5600 per year by making the switch. The US government will lose $50 billion a year in fuel taxes. Britain's exchequer will be hit at the same rate.

"Our research and modelling indicate that the $10 trillion annual revenues in the existing vehicle and oil supply chains will shrink dramatically," Mr Seba said.

"Certain high-cost countries, companies, and fields will see their oil production entirely wiped out. Exxon-Mobil, Shell and BP could see 40 per cent to 50 per cent of their assets become stranded," the report said.

These are all large claims, though familiar those on the cutting edge of energy technology. While the professor's timing may be off by a few years, there is little doubt about the general direction.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Luke Muehlhauser

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Petrol cars will vanish in 8 years
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2017 at 11:49am

Quote:
India is drawing up plans to phase out all petrol and diesel cars by 2032, leap-frogging China in an electrification race across Asia. The brains trust of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for a mix of subsidies, car-pooling, and caps on fossil-based cars. The goal is to cut pollution and break reliance on imported oil, but markets will pick up the baton quickly once the process starts.

China is moving in parallel, pushing for 7 million electric vehicles by 2025, enforced by a minimum quota for "new energy" vehicles that shifts the burden for the switch onto manufacturers. "The trend is irreversible," said Wang Chuanfu, head of the Chinese electric car producer BYD, backed by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway.

At the same time, global shipping rules are clamping down on dirty high-sulphur oil used in the cargo trade, a move that may lead to widespread use of liquefied natural gas for ship fuel.

This is all happening much faster than Saudi Arabia and Opec had assumed. The cartel's World Oil Outlook last year dismissed electric vehicles as a fringe curiosity that would make little difference to ever-rising global demand for oil.

It predicted a jump in crude consumption by a further 16.4 million barrels a day to 109 million by 2040, with India increasingly taking over from China as growing market. The cartel said fossils will still make up 77 per cent of global energy use, much like today. It implicitly treated the Paris agreement on climate targets as empty rhetoric.

Whether Opec believes its own claims is doubtful. Saudi Arabia's actions suggest otherwise. The kingdom is hedging its bets by selling off chunks of the state oil giant Saudi Aramco to fund diversification away from oil.

Opec, Russia, and the oil-exporting states are now caught in a squeeze and will probably be forced to extend output caps into 2018 to stop prices falling. Shale fracking in the US is now so efficient, and rebounding so fast, that it may cap oil prices in a range of $US45 to $US55 until the end of the decade. By then the historic window will be closing.

Experts will argue over Mr Seba's claims. His broad point is that multiple technological trends are combining in a perfect storm. The simplicity of the EV model is breath-taking. The Tesla S has 18 moving parts, one hundred times fewer than a combustion engine car. "Maintenance is essentially zero. That is why Tesla is offering infinite-mile warranties. You can drive it to the moon and back and they will still warranty it," Mr Seba said.

Self-drive "vehicles on demand" will be running at much higher levels of daily use than today's cars and will last for 500,000 to 1 million miles each.

It has long been known that EVs are four times more efficient than petrol or diesel cars, which lose 80 per cent of their power in heat. What changes the equation is the advent of EV models with the acceleration and performance of a Lamborghini costing five or 10 times less to buy, and at least 10 times less to run.

"The electric drive-train is so much more powerful. The gasoline and diesel cars cannot possibly compete," Mr Seba said. The parallel is what happened to film cameras - and to Kodak - once digital rivals hit the market. It was swift and brutal. "You can't compete with zero marginal costs," he said.

The effect is not confined to cars. Trucks will switch in tandem. Over 70 per cent of US haulage routes are already within battery range, and batteries are getting better each year.

EVs will increase US electricity demand by 18 per cent, but that does not imply the need for more capacity. They will draw power at times of peak supply and release it during peak demand. They are themselves a storage reservoir, helping to smooth the effects of intermittent solar and wind, and to absorb excess base-load from power plants.

Mark Carney, the Governor of the Bank England and chairman of Basel's Financial Stability Board, has repeatedly warned that fossil energy companies are booking assets that can never be burnt under the Paris agreement.

He pointed out last year that it took only a small shift in global demand for coal to bankrupt three of the four largest coal-mining companies in short order. Other seemingly entrenched sectors could be just as vulnerable. He warned of a "Minsky moment", if we do not prepare in time, where the energy revolution moves so fast that it precipitates a global financial crisis.

The crunch may be coming even sooner than he thought. The Basel Board may have to add the car industry to the mix. There will be losers. Whole countries will spin into crisis. The world's geopolitical order will be reshaped almost overnight. But humanity as a whole should enjoy an enormous welfare gain.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/energy/oil/petrol-cars-will-vanish-in-8-years-says-us-report-from-stanford-economist-20170514-gw4r0u#ixzz4hU9IFM5s
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Luke Muehlhauser

IP Logged

The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2017 at 11:58am

I will give you ONE MILLION DOLLARS if petrol fuel cars vanish in 8 years...

Hell... make it TWO MILLION DOLLARS...

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:07pm

The Mechanic wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 11:58am:

I don't think nails can tell the difference between a fact and a hypothesis.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The bloke who wrote that story is fkken dreaming.

You have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a rat's rectum!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:10pm

Yeh aussies will still be buying ford and holden sh.tboxes whilst the rest of the world will have moved on to electric !!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:11pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 12:07pm:

I don't think nails can tell the difference between a fact and a hypothesis.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

It's a prediction moreon. People are moving away from fossil fools just like the power grid is too !! Why pay for energy when you can create it for nothing in your own backyard !!

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:48pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 12:11pm:

It's a prediction moreon. People are moving away from fossil fools just like the power grid is too !! Why pay for energy when you can create it for nothing in your own backyard !!

oooooh, it's a prediction, then that's different.

I mean predictions have always been a rock solid source of information, I always check predictions rather than pesky facts or peer reviewed papers.

Jeez that comment that there is a sucker born every minute suits you perfectly. .  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2017 at 2:15pm

awwwwwww, I like driving petrol cars.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2017 at 2:18pm

Quote:
............Your Tesla vehicle is protected by a 4 year or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty and 8 year or unlimited miles Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty. These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use during the coverage period..............

................2-Year Extended Service Agreement
2 years or 25,000 miles (40,000 km), whichever occurs first

4-Year Extended Service Agreement
4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever occurs first .......

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2017 at 3:12pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 12:48pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 12:11pm:

oooooh, it's a prediction, then that's different.

I mean predictions have always been a rock solid source of information, I always check predictions rather than pesky facts or peer reviewed papers.

Jeez that comment that there is a sucker born every minute suits you perfectly. .  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

just like your sidekick longprong58 who said that nobody would ever buy a Tesla EV you are a complete idiot !!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2017 at 3:15pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 2:18pm:
Quote:
............Your Tesla vehicle is protected by a 4 year or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty and 8 year or unlimited miles Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty. These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use during the coverage period..............

................2-Year Extended Service Agreement
2 years or 25,000 miles (40,000 km), whichever occurs first

4-Year Extended Service Agreement
4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever occurs first .......

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

Unlike like fossil fool vehicle manufacturers who make most of their revenue from spare parts and service of an otherwise unreliable product Tesla believes in producing something that will last and there is really little to go wrong with an EV compared to a fossil fool junk heap with 1000's of moving and wearable parts plus consumables !!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - May 19th, 2017 at 3:36pm

I might buy a V8 petrol while they are still available.

LandCruiser V8 petrol, sounds good to me.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2017 at 3:41pm

Quote:
............. A major reason for the LandCruiser's legendary status lurks under the vehicle's bonnet. There are two engine variants to choose from: a 4.6L V8 Dual VVT-i Petrol (not available on GX) with 6-speed automatic transmission and a 4.5L V8 Twin Turbo-diesel with 6-speed automatic transmission. Each of these brilliantly engineered V8 engine units offers loads of jaw-dropping horse power.

The output figures speak for themselves, the petrol V8 engine delivers an awesome 227kW at 5500rpm, while the diesel V8 engine is close behind with a thumping 200kW at 3600rpm.

Torque it up

The V8 power units deliver massive torque, giving the LandCruiser 200 more grunt and pulling power than ever before, enabling the car to venture where other 4WDs might struggle.

With the petrol variant V8 engine (not available on GX) offering 439Nm at 3400rpm and the diesel variant delivering a heart thumping 650Nm at 1600-2600rpm, you can forget old boundaries and limitations. Get ready to push the envelope on-road and off ..............

...............  a heart thumping 650Nm at 1600-2600rpm ............

IP Logged

Rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2017 at 3:59pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 12:10pm:

Yeh aussies will still be buying ford and holden sh.tboxes whilst the rest of the world will have moved on to electric !!

What are you going to do with your 1982 volvo?

IP Logged

gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #14 - May 19th, 2017 at 4:39pm

Its just common sense: who wins in the car market between petrol engines and EVs with a fraction of the moving parts, a fraction of the running costs and virtually no wear and tear? Its a no brainer. And I agree with the author that once driverless EV's are viable and available on mass (which they will be) - most people won't think twice about ditching their "manual" vehicles.

I'm guessing people like bigol were similarly scoffing at the predicted demise of film cameras and CDs.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #15 - May 19th, 2017 at 5:10pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 3:41pm:

I love a good V8 as much as anyone, but if you like torque EVs win hands-down.

650nM? A basic Model S makes 600nM from 0rpm, while the top line P100 makes 1250nM, also from zero.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #16 - May 19th, 2017 at 5:43pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOÒOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like my petrol powered car belching toxic fumes all over the place.
I like the noise and fun

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #17 - May 19th, 2017 at 5:51pm

gandalf wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 4:39pm:

Its just common sense: who wins in the car market between petrol engines and EVs with a fraction of the moving parts, a fraction of the running costs and virtually no wear and tear? Its a no brainer. And I agree with the author that once driverless EV's are viable and available on mass (which they will be) - most people won't think twice about ditching their "manual" vehicles.

I'm guessing people like bigol were similarly scoffing at the predicted demise of film cameras and CDs.

All petrol vehicle gone in 8 years, is that what you are also saying is it?

Because I am scoffing at the shear stupidity of the statement and the 'predictions' made by nails and the author, and Im more than happy to show you some contempt as well, if you believe that horse sh1t as well.

This has no basis in fact, is is a delusion and stupid in the extreme.

Im not some anti-tech luddite, exactly the opposite, I base my position of what is reasonable possible not on some cretinous man-child's predictions.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Science rules!

OzPol
Reply #18 - May 19th, 2017 at 5:54pm

More like 20 years. Driverless cars and pedestrians need to be on different levels and the cost of petrol needs to go up and the capacity of batteries to increase tenfold.

The greenhouse effect has been demonstrated to be real. Ice is retreating and the world is warming.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #19 - May 19th, 2017 at 6:27pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 5:54pm:
More like 20 years. Driverless cars and pedestrians need to be on different levels and the cost of petrol needs to go up and the capacity of batteries to increase tenfold.

At least.

Sh1t, Im still waiting for my fkken jet pack that was promised all those years ago, supposed to get them by the mid 80s.   Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Science rules!

OzPol
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2017 at 7:20pm

I’m still waiting for those and for power so cheap they won’t bother billing.

Driverless cars will arrive and in a decade or two.

The greenhouse effect has been demonstrated to be real. Ice is retreating and the world is warming.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - May 19th, 2017 at 7:58pm

Stig wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 5:10pm:

I love a good V8 as much as anyone, but if you like torque EVs win hands-down.

650nM? A basic Model S makes 600nM from 0rpm, while the top line P100 makes 1250nM, also from zero.

ssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yes, electric motors make 100% of their torque at 0 rpm

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - May 19th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Valkie wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OÒOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like my petrol powered car belching toxic fumes all over the place.
I like the noise and fun

yes

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2017 at 10:38am

Bighole still uses a film camera and a typewriter Cheesy LOL

He's having trouble sourcing the film and can't find anyone to fix his typewriter Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2017 at 10:46am

BigOl64 wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 5:51pm:

Because I am scoffing at the shear stupidity of the statement and the 'predictions' made by nails and the author, and Im more than happy to show you some contempt as well, if you believe that horse sh1t as well.

Im not some anti-tech luddite, exactly the opposite, I base my position of what is reasonable possible not on some cretinous man-child's predictions.

Then how come GMC is ramping down production of right hand drive cars and is pulling out of Sth Africa and India and quite possibly Australia. The motor industry is changing and technology has a way of leaving established players in the dust unless they change !! Just look what happened to Kodak. Owned lots of digital camera patents in the 70's but decided to milk as much out of film as it could thinking that it would never go away. History says otherwise.

Don't base your opinions on what happens in Australia. We are a technological backwater rusted onto the past glories of Ford and Holden's racing around Bathhurst. The rest of the world couldn't give a toss about Australia and its fixation to everything oil !

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2017 at 11:07am

Quote:
............. A major reason for the LandCruiser's legendary status lurks under the vehicle's bonnet. There are two engine variants to choose from: a 4.6L V8 Dual VVT-i Petrol (not available on GX) with 6-speed automatic transmission and a 4.5L V8 Twin Turbo-diesel with 6-speed automatic transmission. Each of these brilliantly engineered V8 engine units offers loads of jaw-dropping horse power.

The output figures speak for themselves, the petrol V8 engine delivers an awesome 227kW at 5500rpm, while the diesel V8 engine is close behind with a thumping 200kW at 3600rpm.

Torque it up

The V8 power units deliver massive torque, giving the LandCruiser 200 more grunt and pulling power than ever before, enabling the car to venture where other 4WDs might struggle.

With the petrol variant V8 engine (not available on GX) offering 439Nm at 3400rpm and the diesel variant delivering a heart thumping 650Nm at 1600-2600rpm, you can forget old boundaries and limitations. Get ready to push the envelope on-road and off ..............

Big fizz !! It's already obsolete.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #26 - May 20th, 2017 at 11:41am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 10:46am:

Then how come GMC is ramping down production of right hand drive cars and is pulling out of Sth Africa and India and quite possibly Australia. The motor industry is changing and technology has a way of leaving established players in the dust unless they change !! Just look what happened to Kodak. Owned lots of digital camera patents in the 70's but decided to milk as much out of film as it could thinking that it would never go away. History says otherwise.

Don't base your opinions on what happens in Australia. We are a technological backwater rusted onto the past glories of Ford and Holden's racing around Bathhurst. The rest of the world couldn't give a toss about Australia and its fixation to everything oil !

Always nice when you post evidence to support your opinions.

Unsubstantiated opinions and wild predictions aren't worth a snatch full of cold water out here in the real world.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - May 20th, 2017 at 11:46am

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 11:41am:

Always nice when you post evidence to support your opinions.

Unsubstantiated opinions and wild predictions aren't worth a snatch full of cold water out here in the real world.

Whilst I don't quite agree with the original author that fossil fool cars will disappear completely because there will still be some in the Museums Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

Fireball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #28 - May 20th, 2017 at 11:47am

Always assuming everybody who drives can afford a Tesla 'in 8 years'.....

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."
(RH Enoch Powell)

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - May 20th, 2017 at 11:55am

Fireball wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 11:47am:

Well I'm sure that Tesla won't be the only EV you can buy in 8 years time, suffice to say that we will probably be importing them from china like everything else Wink

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #30 - May 20th, 2017 at 11:59am

Nails has been crapping on about battery cars for over a decade now and even he doesn't own one, so why the fkk the rest of the planet would drop everything to buy one is a bit horse sh1t.

The author is a deluded idiot and needs to be ignored it just isn't going to happen.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:01pm

Model 3 is already at $35k US. A vast improvement in price on the S. It'll only get better

REPORTER: The condition of the budget will not be an excuse for breaking promises?

TONY ABBOTT: Exactly right. We will keep the commitments that we make.

IP Logged

Sir Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #32 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:10pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 11:59am:

Nails has been crapping on about battery cars for over a decade now and even he doesn't own one, so why the fkk the rest of the planet would drop everything to buy one is a bit horse sh1t.

The author is a deluded idiot and needs to be ignored it just isn't going to happen.

Hi BigOl,
Nail does have a point though -

what is the most valuable car manufacturer in the USA?

surprise - surprise - it's Tesla - making battery cars.

https://futurism.com/tesla-is-now-the-most-valuable-u-s-automaker-but-its-more-t...

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Carl Sagan

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #33 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:15pm

Sir Bobby wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 12:10pm:

Hi BigOl,

https://futurism.com/tesla-is-now-the-most-valuable-u-s-automaker-but-its-more-t...

And the situation will most likely change at some point in the future. Personally I would rather a vastly less polluting hydrogen car that a lithium battery car, that sh1t is toxic as hell and we will be swapping one planet destroying problem for another.

But for nails to to stand up and state the petrol cars will disappear in 8 years, is just fkken stupid. I will in all likelihood own an electric car before he does.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #34 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:21pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 12:15pm:

Hi BigOl,

And the situation will most likely change at some point in the future. Personally I would rather a vastly less polluting hydrogen car that a lithium battery car, that sh1t is toxic as hell and we will be swapping one planet destroying problem for another.

But for nails to to stand up and state the petrol cars will disappear in 8 years, is just fkken stupid. I will in all likelihood own an electric car before he does.  Smiley

BigOl,
stop your ad hominem attacks on sir Nail.
He's futuristic & can see what will happen.

It will only take the Chinese to put electric cars into production
that are say worth under $20K with a 10 year warranty on the battery
& people will just love them.
They'll charge  them up with solar cells on their roofs on the weekend &
drive to work & back all week on one charge.

Petrol companies will hate it - people getting free energy!

Carl Sagan

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #35 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:26pm

Quote:
Petrol cars will vanish in 8 years

What happens if you are driving one at the time ?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #36 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:28pm

Rhino wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 3:59pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 12:10pm:

What are you going to do with your 1982 volvo?

You don't need to do anything - apparently it is going to vanish.

IP Logged

Fireball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #37 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:46pm

UK thinks all diesel vehicles will be gone by 2020, despite the fact that the labour government of old promoted them as less polluting than petrol. Now of course, after many changed to diesel, the Tory government has established that they are more polluting and are encouraging owners to scrap them with a government payback and price reductions on environmentally friendly vehicles.

I wonder what is going to happen to all those diesel (thousands) Black Cabs, lorries, buses, and locos?

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."
(RH Enoch Powell)

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - May 20th, 2017 at 1:06pm

Some complete idiot probably said the same thing about horses and longbows.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - May 20th, 2017 at 1:50pm

How many people apart from yourself still use film cameras ? Who would buy a film camera when you can snap a picture using digital and see the results instantly ?

I rest my case.

Likewise who would buy a fossil fool car when you can charge up an EV at home using your own solar energy ? Even better Tesla offer free chargeups at their charging stations Wink Go in for a cup of coffee and 30 minutes later you've got an extra 50k range on the clock for free. Where do you get this from Mr oily greedy guts ?  Dirty sump oil needs replacing !! Pay pay pay says Mr oily greedy guts !!

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #40 - May 20th, 2017 at 1:54pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 1:50pm:

How many people apart from yourself still use film cameras ? Who would buy a film camera when you can snap a picture using digital and see the results instantly ?

I rest my case.

Likewise who would buy a fossil fool car when you can charge up an EV at home using your own solar energy ? Even better Tesla offer free chargeups at their charging stations Wink Go in for a cup of coffee and 30 minutes later you've got an extra 50k range on the clock for free. Where do you get this from Mr oily greedy guts ? Pay pay pay says Mr oily greedy guts !!

So you actually own a battery power electric car do you?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - May 20th, 2017 at 1:55pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 1:54pm:

I rest my case.

Likewise who would buy a fossil fool car when you can charge up an EV at home using your own solar energy ? Even better Tesla offer free chargeups at their charging stations Wink Go in for a cup of coffee and 30 minutes later you've got an extra 50k range on the clock for free. Where do you get this from Mr oily greedy guts ? Pay pay pay says Mr oily greedy guts !!

How does that change the argument ? Can I talk about the virtues of space exploration without owning a Saturn 5 rocket ?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #42 - May 20th, 2017 at 2:09pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 1:55pm:

I rest my case.

How does that change the argument ? Can I talk about the virtues of space exploration without owning a Saturn 5 rocket ?

It's just that you accused my of not owning a digital camera, as though it mattered.   Smiley Smiley

So it seems owning the piece of technology is important to you when it comes to what I own.

I mean EV's do exist and have done for years and their is no reason for you not own one is there?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - May 20th, 2017 at 2:19pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 2:09pm:

I rest my case.

It's just that you accused my of not owning a digital camera, as though it mattered.   Smiley Smiley

So it seems owning the piece of technology is important to you when it comes to what I own.

I mean EV's do exist and have done for years and their is no reason for you not own one is there?

The analogy of film cameras disappearing in a matter of years obviously went over your head. Sorry if your level of comprehension is lacking.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - May 20th, 2017 at 2:36pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 11:07am:
Quote:

Torque it up

I was surprise the petrol cars got so close.

Esp liked it when the tesla driver asked the supercar driver what he was listening to.

Thanks nail.

the torque electric engine produce is immense.
Electric engine reliability is ........ about 4X that of an internal combustion engine, if not more.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #45 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:17pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 2:36pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 11:07am:
Quote:

Torque it up

I was surprise the petrol cars got so close.

Esp liked it when the tesla driver asked the supercar driver what he was listening to.

Thanks nail.

the torque electric engine produce is immense.
Electric engine reliability is ........ about 4X that of an internal combustion engine, if not more.

But you failed to mention the problem of batteries versus fuel.

Distance on a single fill / charge

Time to complete a fill recharge

That needs to be overcome well before this 8 year timeline comes even close.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:19pm

Bigol - oh yes, electric cars are not the perfect car.

they don't do 1000 kms in a single charge

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #47 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:21pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 2:19pm:

I rest my case.

The analogy of film cameras disappearing in a matter of years obviously went over your head. Sorry if your level of comprehension is lacking.

Im well aware of what you were trying to do, it was just poorly execute and irrelevant.

The ubiquitous nature of digital cameras and hybrid camera phones means that someone you are communicating via the internet is likely to have this sort of entry level technology.

IP Logged

jeez
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:24pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 3:19pm:

They don't carry loads or go through the hill to well either.
Great on the flat, would like to have seen that race with the V8 up the mountain at Bathurst.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #49 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:32pm

Lithium batteries are not the earth saving panacea everyone's making them out to be

In a 2013 report, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Design for the Environment program concluded that batteries using nickel and cobalt, like lithium-ion batteries, have the “highest potential for environmental impacts”. It cited negative consequences like mining, global warming, environmental pollution and human health impacts.

While Tesla declines to comment on the particular chemistry it uses, representative Khobi Brooklyn did list nickel as one of the components of the company’s batteries, and lithium is also obviously a component.

https://www.theguardian.com/vital-signs/2015/jun/10/tesla-batteries-environment-...

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-01/documents/lithium_batteries_l...

One of the reasons China could sell lithium so cheaply was because it widely ignored environmental safeguards during the mining process. In the Bayan Obo region of China, for example, miners removed topsoil and extracted the gold-flecked metals using acids that entered the groundwater, destroying nearby agricultural land. Even the normally tight-lipped Chinese government admitted that rare earth mining has been abused in some places. A regulator at the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology in China went so far as to tell The New York Times, "This has caused great harm to the ecology and environment" [source: Bradsher].

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/does-hybrid-car-...

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:48pm

Fireball wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
UK thinks all diesel vehicles will be gone by 2020, despite the fact that the labour government of old promoted them as less polluting than petrol. Now of course, after many changed to diesel, the Tory government has established that they are more polluting and are encouraging owners to scrap them with a government payback and price reductions on environmentally friendly vehicles.

I wonder what is going to happen to all those diesel (thousands) Black Cabs, lorries, buses, and locos?

they will sell them to australia. aussies will still buy them. bighole will want one Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:50pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 3:21pm:

I rest my case.

Im well aware of what you were trying to do, it was just poorly execute and irrelevant.

The ubiquitous nature of digital cameras and hybrid camera phones means that someone you are communicating via the internet is likely to have this sort of entry level technology.

digital cameras were here well before they appeared in phones bighole !!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:55pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 3:32pm:

Lithium batteries are not the earth saving panacea everyone's making them out to be

In a 2013 report, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Design for the Environment program concluded that batteries using nickel and cobalt, like lithium-ion batteries, have the “highest potential for environmental impacts”. It cited negative consequences like mining, global warming, environmental pollution and human health impacts.

While Tesla declines to comment on the particular chemistry it uses, representative Khobi Brooklyn did list nickel as one of the components of the company’s batteries, and lithium is also obviously a component.

https://www.theguardian.com/vital-signs/2015/jun/10/tesla-batteries-environment-...

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-01/documents/lithium_batteries_l...

One of the reasons China could sell lithium so cheaply was because it widely ignored environmental safeguards during the mining process. In the Bayan Obo region of China, for example, miners removed topsoil and extracted the gold-flecked metals using acids that entered the groundwater, destroying nearby agricultural land. Even the normally tight-lipped Chinese government admitted that rare earth mining has been abused in some places. A regulator at the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology in China went so far as to tell The New York Times, "This has caused great harm to the ecology and environment" [source: Bradsher].

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/does-hybrid-car-...

Toyota was using Nickel Metal Hydride battery chemistry in its RAV4 EV way before Lithium appeared in the mainstream. Guess what happened next ? Big OIL bought the intellectual property and sat on it and sued anyone who used it whilst making lame excuses for not licensing out the technology  Sad

You can blame big OIL for the proliferation of Lithium batteries in EV's Sad

http://www.ev1.org/nimhsup.htm

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:00pm

jeez wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 3:24pm:

Great on the flat, would like to have seen that race with the V8 up the mountain at Bathurst.

Really !! Is that why Tesla is working on an electric prime mover ??

IP Logged

jeez
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:13pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:00pm:
jeez wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 3:24pm:

Really !! Is that why Tesla is working on an electric prime mover ??

Yeah good one, his claim was it could beat a diesel truck in a tug of war uphill, whilst the torque of an electric motor might be superior in an equivalent machine, maintaining that torque would require a lot of electricity, he didn't say how long it would be able to win that tug of war without an extension cord.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #55 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:20pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 3:50pm:
BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 3:21pm:

I rest my case.

So?

Making irrelevant statements only makes you look more stupid, not less so?

IP Logged

jeez
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:25pm

Battery weight seems to be the hurdle, the telsa battery is nearly as heavy as the old lead acid battery.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:27pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:20pm:
[quote author=thelastnail link=1495158525/51#51 date=1495259456]

So?

typical bighole. Ignoring the main issue whilst dissecting and hanging off every last word and bagging the messenger. I'm just glad the rest of humanity finds you totally irrelevant Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:28pm

jeez wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:25pm:
Battery weight seems to be the hurdle, the telsa battery is nearly as heavy as the old lead acid battery.

and yet it can still drag off a million dollar super car Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

jeez
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:36pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:28pm:
jeez wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:25pm:

and yet it can still drag off a million dollar super car Cheesy LOL

Put a trailer with a ton of wood on the back and go for a circuit at Bathurst and I doubt the electric vehicle would do one lap.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #60 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:59pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:27pm:

So?

typical bighole. Ignoring the main issue whilst dissecting and hanging off every last word and bagging the messenger. I'm just glad the rest of humanity finds you totally irrelevant Cheesy LOL

This is what you cut out and this is why you were 'bagged', by any measure it is a fkken stupid statement.

[

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #61 - May 20th, 2017 at 5:16pm

Why do people post crap like this as if Australia is the only nation on earth that uses petrol?

Go look at Audi, BMW, Merc, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Jaguar, Land Rover etc. - all of them not only produce a V8, but at least one gas-guzzling SUV each (Mercedes has several). As for the yanks, well....

And that's from someone who loves Teslas. But this idea that Australia is some technological holdout versus a world of fuel-efficient city cars and EVs is just plain rubbish.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:32pm

Stig wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 5:16pm:

Why do people post crap like this as if Australia is the only nation on earth that uses petrol?

Go look at Audi, BMW, Merc, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Jaguar, Land Rover etc. - all of them not only produce a V8, but at least one gas-guzzling SUV each (Mercedes has several). As for the yanks, well....

And that's from someone who loves Teslas. But this idea that Australia is some technological holdout versus a world of fuel-efficient city cars and EVs is just plain rubbish.

It is. Just look at the sub-standard rubbish that Holden and Ford have been serving us up for years. These are cars that very few other nations are interested in except Australia. What does that say about us ?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:33pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:27pm:

So?

This is what you cut out and this is why you were 'bagged', by any measure it is a fkken stupid statement.

[

red herring after red herring is what we have all come to expect from you Cheesy LOL

give it up bighole.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #64 - May 20th, 2017 at 8:10pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 6:32pm:

It is. Just look at the sub-standard rubbish that Holden and Ford have been serving us up for years. These are cars that very few other nations are interested in except Australia. What does that say about us ?

Sub standard compared to what? VW/Audi and its notorious DSG and pollution gear? Alfa Romeo? The Mercs of the 2000s that had appalling quality and electrical issues? BMWs Mini division? The Land Rovers that still can't get their quality right? Pretty much anything French? Ferrari and its self-immolating supercars? Anything made by GM or Ford in the US?

As for why they don't get exported to many places - blame GM and Ford. They didn't know what to do with their australian brands (they didn't know what to do with other non-US brands either) and they refused to even put half the development budget into the Falcon and Commodore that overseas brands typically get for even a whitegoods hatchback.

So no - not crap at all

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - May 20th, 2017 at 9:34pm

Stig wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 8:10pm:

Sub standard compared to what? VW/Audi and its notorious DSG and pollution gear? Alfa Romeo? The Mercs of the 2000s that had appalling quality and electrical issues? BMWs Mini division? The Land Rovers that still can't get their quality right? Pretty much anything French? Ferrari and its self-immolating supercars? Anything made by GM or Ford in the US?

As for why they don't get exported to many places - blame GM and Ford. They didn't know what to do with their australian brands (they didn't know what to do with other non-US brands either) and they refused to even put half the development budget into the Falcon and Commodore that overseas brands typically get for even a whitegoods hatchback.

So no - not crap at all

Wasn't the Holden engine using push rods for a long time ? And Ford didn't move to an overhead cam until very late. Yes some of the German cars are over engineered and some had notorious quality control issues but they are leaders and not followers like Ford and Holden which is why they are still in business exporting their stuff all around the world Wink

IP Logged

Sir Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #66 - May 20th, 2017 at 10:08pm

Sir Bobby wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 12:21pm:

Hi BigOl,

BigOl,

Of course - BigOl ignores my post which cut him down to size.

Carl Sagan

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #67 - May 21st, 2017 at 2:36am

8 years? That is quite a while. My information says that by 2022, we should have electric cars as the majority of vehicles on the road in Australia. I would not be surprised if one in ten cars on Australia's roads by 2020 will be electric.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #68 - May 21st, 2017 at 5:12am

Sir Bobby wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 10:08pm:
Sir Bobby wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 12:21pm:

Hi BigOl,

BigOl,

Of course - BigOl ignores my post which cut him down to size.

Or I had something better to do on a Saturday night than reply to this drivel.  Smiley Smiley

Not any fact in your post just your opinion and we all know what that is worth don't we.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:17am

How many cars do we have on the road?

Can we replace that many in that time frame?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #70 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:25am

miketrees wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 7:17am:

Even if we could manufacture that many cars, can the average person afford to replace their vehicle on basis of the bullsh1t report posted here.

Not only that, will battery technology overcome the problem with distance and recharge time, because if it can't, petrol cars aren't going anywhere.

This is just fantasy, we will not see the demise of petrol cars within 8 years.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #71 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:51am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 9:34pm:

So no - not crap at all

Wasn't the Holden engine using push rods for a long time ? And Ford didn't move to an overhead cam until very late. Yes some of the German cars are over engineered and some had notorious quality control issues but they are leaders and not followers like Ford and Holden which is why they are still in business exporting their stuff all around the world Wink

Pushrods alone are not exactly the be all and end all of "good". Holden had pushrods until 2005 (apart from the VL) because GM didn't give them the development budget for a new engine, so they had to source one from the GM "parts bin". That said, for the job it had to do it was OK without being great.

As for Ford - they went OHC in 1988 because - surprise, surprise - Ford US gave them the budget for an all-new engine

Again - if you gave Holden or Ford oz the development budget used for a VW Golf and said have at it - and gave them the same subsidies the Germans give their makers - you'd get a damn good car that was exported around the world too

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:25am

Stig wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 7:51am:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 9:34pm:

So no - not crap at all

Pushrods alone are not exactly the be all and end all of "good". Holden had pushrods until 2005 (apart from the VL) because GM didn't give them the development budget for a new engine, so they had to source one from the GM "parts bin". That said, for the job it had to do it was OK without being great.

As for Ford - they went OHC in 1988 because - surprise, surprise - Ford US gave them the budget for an all-new engine

Again - if you gave Holden or Ford oz the development budget used for a VW Golf and said have at it - and gave them the same subsidies the Germans give their makers - you'd get a damn good car that was exported around the world too

Didn't they spend 1 bill on the VE commodore including a whole pile of tax payers dollars ?? What did we see for that 1 bill ? Just another Commodore with a paint job and some ideas pinched from European cars Sad
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2017 at 10:33am by Sir lastnail »  

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:27am

It will be replacement by natural attrition. There will be no more fossil fools cars being manufactured and the only thing you can buy will be electric.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #74 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:31am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 10:27am:

It will be replacement by natural attrition. There will be no more fossil fools cars being manufactured and the only thing you can buy will be electric.

And driving from Cairns to Brisbane will go back to taking about a week to complete.

That horse and cart is starting to look pretty good by then.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:40am

BigOl64 wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 10:31am:

And driving from Cairns to Brisbane will go back to taking about a week to complete.

That horse and cart is starting to look pretty good by then.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Tesla has a large number of charging stations all around the US as well as many other countries. They plan to expand their network and install more of them. Of course Australia is always behind the pack and only has a handful of them. Early adopters of technology according to Costello Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #76 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:48am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 10:40am:

Tesla has a large number of charging stations all around the US as well as many other countries. They plan to expand their network and install more of them. Of course Australia is always behind the pack and only has a handful of them. Early adopters of technology according to Costello Cheesy LOL

And like you said earlier, you will be expected to sit for 30 minutes to get enough charge to travel 40 kms.

So once the initial charge is gone, you will be sitting around like a fool waiting along with hundreds if not thousands of travelers, for the battery to charge to get you to the next town maybe 50 kms away. Too bad if you want to travel where towns are few and far between.

Like I said the horse and cart won't be far behind the battery EV just for long trips.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:19am

BigOl64 wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 10:48am:

And like you said earlier, you will be expected to sit for 30 minutes to get enough charge to travel 40 kms.

So once the initial charge is gone, you will be sitting around like a fool waiting along with hundreds if not thousands of travelers, for the battery to charge to get you to the next town maybe 50 kms away. Too bad if you want to travel where towns are few and far between.

Like I said the horse and cart won't be far behind the battery EV just for long trips.

If you are getting a top up for nothing then nobody should complain. Find one fossil fool outlet that gives you free top ups Cheesy LOL Someone on the dole like yourself shouldn't complain.  Most people park their cars in shopping centers or at work for hours on end so it's a good opportunity to top-up. Who wants to do an 8 hour trip from Melbourne to Sydney without a single break ? Only you and longprong58 Cheesy LOL

People will change their lifestyles if they are getting a good deal. Polluting and expensive fossil fool technology is not the standard to be judged by. It is from a bygone era and was never sustainable in the long run.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #78 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:27am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 11:19am:

If you are getting a top up for nothing then nobody should complain. Find one fossil fool outlet that gives you free top ups Cheesy LOL Someone on the dole like yourself shouldn't complain.  Most people park their cars in shopping centers or at work for hours on end so it's a good opportunity to top-up. Who wants to do an 8 hour trip from Melbourne to Sydney without a single break ? Only you and longprong58 Cheesy LOL

People will change their lifestyles if they are getting a good deal. Polluting and expensive fossil fool technology is not the standard to be judged by. It is from a bygone era and was never sustainable in the long run.

So you agree that with this technological break though the time taken will vastly increase from a couple of days to possible a week or more, but we will get 'free' top ups.

Your time mustn't be worth much, if that makes you happy.

If you believe that batteries are not massively polluting then you are a fool or a liar.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:05pm

How does the aircon go in an electric car say on a 40 degree day on a long trip.

How many Km will you lose from using the aircon?

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #80 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:20pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 10:25am:
Didn't they spend 1 bill on the VE commodore including a whole pile of tax payers dollars ?? What did we see for that 1 bill ? Just another Commodore with a paint job and some ideas pinched from European cars Sad

They spent $1bil on the Zeta platform which was meant to be the platform used by any large RWD GM car worldwide.

As it was, despite GM US management stupidity, Holden still managed to export them to the US (first as a Pontiac, then as the Chevy SS and Caprice), China (as a Buick), the Middle East (as a Chevrolet), Brazil and south Africa (also as a Chevrolet) and the UK (as a Vauxhall)

Plus the engines were exported to Korea, Italy and Sweden, among other places.

Given the (in car terms) shoestring budget and upper management mis-management, that's a pretty good return

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #81 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:22pm

Apart from a dose of cultural cringe what does that even mean? Tesla isn't going to roll out hundreds of charging stations across Australia just for a handful of owners who almost all live in cities and are wealthy enough that they will just fly if they need to travel long distance

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #82 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:34pm

Eventually the government will evolve ways to tax electric car use and recover revenue lost from the fuel and other taxes that are lost as combustion engine powered cars decline in numbers.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #83 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:26pm

10 million cars on the road. 1 million replacement hybrid/electric cars. It is do-able. Keep in mind that in 1100 days, we could have many electric cars or hybrid cars running about without the need for petrol engines. The way people went from old mobile phones to iphones -- the way people switched from black and white to coloured television -- the internet adoption rate -- There will be a market for people switching to electric, hydrogen and LPG powered cars. I would not be surprised if there is a 10% share of cars on the road that doesn't use petrol.

In regards to the original post, I think 8 years is a fair time frame for when petrol cars will vanish. But I would probably think 10 years is more likely.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:32pm

Well considering that the big car makers would already be designing and planning for petrol cars in 2025 and without any significant legislation to point to, I am pretty sure that in eight years petrol cars will still be dominating the market place.  One car type that might be nearly extinct is the diesel.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #85 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:38pm

If it took 15 minutes to recharge a battery (compared to 5 minutes to fuel a car), it would be pretty efficient and reasonably cheap. I would not mind having a car that could travel 1000km for $50 in charge costs.

The oil industry would have been bleating about charge times and battery replacement expense by now if it was that bad.

IP Logged

Francis

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:11pm

The point  everyone  is missing.

Will the government  allow it ?

If the elected leaders of the western  world  still have money in oil.

You can have a hybrid  car you can buy new for $50 and fuel it for a year on $5 and the government  will not allow it 

Truth hurts

No tenemos miedo!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:42pm

Stig wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 12:22pm:

Apart from a dose of cultural cringe what does that even mean? Tesla isn't going to roll out hundreds of charging stations across Australia just for a handful of owners who almost all live in cities and are wealthy enough that they will just fly if they need to travel long distance

Well if the only cars being manufactured are EV's then it's tough titties for Australian motorists stuck in the past. You had plenty of time to jump on the EV bandwagon but you kept your heads in the sand as usual Sad

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #88 - May 22nd, 2017 at 8:04am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 11:42pm:
Stig wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 12:22pm:

Well if the only cars being manufactured are EV's then it's tough titties for Australian motorists stuck in the past. You had plenty of time to jump on the EV bandwagon but you kept your heads in the sand as usual Sad

Well (i) they won't be - certainly not for many years yet

(ii) The sophisticated Australian motorist is good at adopting new technology when it makes sense. When EVs are cheap and charging becomes widely available, they'll start buying them.

(iii) EV sales in Europe account for a massive 0.5% of the market. Guess they're just not getting on the EV bandwagon

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #89 - May 22nd, 2017 at 8:08am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 10:38pm:

If it took 15 minutes to recharge a battery (compared to 5 minutes to fuel a car), it would be pretty efficient and reasonably cheap. I would not mind having a car that could travel 1000km for $50 in charge costs.

The oil industry would have been bleating about charge times and battery replacement expense by now if it was that bad.

Plus, with driverless tech coming in - it's not purely a question of range anymore. Most people wouldn't go Melbourne-Sydney or Sydney-Brisbane in one stretch, but if your car has autopilot, then needing to stop halfway for 30 minutes to charge your car is less of an issue when you can comfortably do the trip in a day because the car does most of the driving.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #90 - May 22nd, 2017 at 11:16am

BigOl64 wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 11:27am:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 11:19am:

So you agree that with this technological break though the time taken will vastly increase from a couple of days to possible a week or more, but we will get 'free' top ups.

Your time mustn't be worth much, if that makes you happy.

If you believe that batteries are not massively polluting then you are a fool or a liar.

Would you honestly drive for 8 hours without taking a break and being a potential hazard to other drivers ?

Why not take a plane and do the trip in 1 hour ?

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - May 22nd, 2017 at 4:53pm

Dont worry Francis, all colours of politics will invent ways to tax cars

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - May 22nd, 2017 at 5:33pm

miketrees wrote on May 22nd, 2017 at 4:53pm:

The government is already hatching up a plan to tax drivers on their distance traveled so no you can't get out of paying taxes even if you use EV's Sad

Just remember how they conned people out of parity feed-ins for rooftop solar by conning them to install dumb-meters. Now the punters are only getting a measly 6 cents per kWH whilst some scam artists is reselling the energy for 25 cents per kWH. What a con Sad

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Darwin NT
Reply #93 - May 22nd, 2017 at 6:26pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 22nd, 2017 at 5:33pm:

The government is already hatching up a plan to tax drivers on their distance traveled so no you can't get out of paying taxes even if you use EV's Sad

Just remember how they conned people out of parity feed-ins for rooftop solar by conning them to install dumb-meters. Now the punters are only getting a measly 6 cents per kWH whilst some scam artists is reselling the energy for 25 cents per kWH. What a con Sad

They will make a fortune out of the money out of the hotels and motels will make putting millions of travellers every year, due to the fact that travel times have more than tripled.

The few measly dollars saved in fuel cost will be more than squandered in accommodation costs because an EV can't get to the end of a fkken driveway without needing a recharge.

IP Logged

Sir Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #94 - May 22nd, 2017 at 6:30pm

very true sir Nail,
Govts. will hate battery cars with people paying no tax -
getting free energy.

Carl Sagan

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - May 22nd, 2017 at 11:12pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 22nd, 2017 at 6:26pm:

They will make a fortune out of the money out of the hotels and motels will make putting millions of travellers every year, due to the fact that travel times have more than tripled.

The few measly dollars saved in fuel cost will be more than squandered in accommodation costs because an EV can't get to the end of a fkken driveway without needing a recharge.

"measly dollars on fuel" Cheesy LOL

What about the rest of it ?

And here is a list of items which don't have to be serviced on an EV simply because it doesn't have them Wink

- No ripoff petrol
- No getting ripped off on service and maintenance
- No oil changes
- No oil filter to dispose of
- No filthy carcinogenic sump oil to dispose of
- No transmission to pack up and maintain
- No spark plugs to change
- No timing belt to change
- No fuel filter to change
- No radiator and hoses to change
- No fuel injectors to pack up
- No problems with contaminated fuel
- No exhaust pipe to change
- No toxic tail pipe emissions
- No green house gas emissions
- No catalytic converter
- Create your own energy at home using your own rooftop PV array
- Silent operation
- No wars fort over oil
- No environmentally damaging oil spills
- regenerative braking recovers lost energy when braking
- reduction in brake maintenance due to regenerative braking

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #96 - May 23rd, 2017 at 1:49am

It will be easier to walk through cities without exhaust pollution.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - May 23rd, 2017 at 6:36am

More pedestrian deaths?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - May 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am

miketrees wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 6:36am:
More pedestrian deaths?

They are adding noises to simulate V8's. No big deal.

IP Logged

AnotherJourneyByTrain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #99 - May 23rd, 2017 at 9:42pm

go formula-e I say  Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print