Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
OMG flooding rains again (Read 3442 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: OMG flooding rains again
Reply #45 - May 20th, 2017 at 10:30pm

1mm of rain does nothing in hot weather. It does not penetrate the soil. It doesn't get through the layer of dead grass or loose dirt or whatever is on top. It moistens it slightly, and then it dries out again. And plants don't have their roots on top of the soil.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #46 - May 21st, 2017 at 2:33am

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 10:30pm:
1mm of rain does nothing in hot weather. It does not penetrate the soil. It doesn't get through the layer of dead grass or loose dirt or whatever is on top. It moistens it slightly, and then it dries out again. And plants don't have their roots on top of the soil.

Well, I have lived through years where we had 490mm of rain. Dry weather still had us green grass by the end of the year. Cold, dry winter and not much else. As dry as it was, our plants and grass still survived. Had our weather spread out over the year evenly, the grass would have looked even more green. Perhaps you don't know that 1mm is 5 minutes worth of rain. Or a downpour of heavy rain in 1 minute. Torrential in 30 seconds. I don't know what you are talking about.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:59am

Plants survive because of the occasional heavy rain. Even the "1 month of rain in a few days events" will last about a month. That's why you are advised to water your garden less regularly but for longer. The further the water soaks in, the longer it takes to evaporate. Instead of evaporating, it is there for the plants to use.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - May 21st, 2017 at 9:56am

To create a one world 🌎 government you need an entire world problem ...

Invent Global Warming...

Tadaaaaaaa!!!!

Send us all of your money so that we can tell you what to do and how to do it  Cheesy

And if that doesn't work try creating a massive immigration problem world wide!!!

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #49 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:43am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 2:33am:
freediver wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 10:30pm:

Well, I have lived through years where we had 490mm of rain. Dry weather still had us green grass by the end of the year. Cold, dry winter and not much else. As dry as it was, our plants and grass still survived. Had our weather spread out over the year evenly, the grass would have looked even more green. Perhaps you don't know that 1mm is 5 minutes worth of rain. Or a downpour of heavy rain in 1 minute. Torrential in 30 seconds. I don't know what you are talking about.

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 7:59am:
Plants survive because of the occasional heavy rain. Even the "1 month of rain in a few days events" will last about a month. That's why you are advised to water your garden less regularly but for longer. The further the water soaks in, the longer it takes to evaporate. Instead of evaporating, it is there for the plants to use.

Freediver is correct
Even this time of year we average an evaporation rate of 3mm per day. To have healthy plants we need rain that has soaked deep enough into the soil that it won't evaporate as quickly

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #50 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:47am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 9:56am:
To create a one world 🌎 government you need an entire world problem ...

Invent Global Warming...

Tadaaaaaaa!!!!

Send us all of your money so that we can tell you what to do and how to do it  Cheesy

Have you heard of Godwin's law?
This says that the first person to mention the Nazi's loses the argument.
I propose a Barnacle's law, that the first person to invoke a world conspiracy theory to support their position has lost the argument.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:14pm

The_Barnacle wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 11:47am:
I propose a Barnacle's law, that the first person to invoke a world conspiracy theory to support their position has lost the argument.

Delusional and funny. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Francis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:01pm

Still waiting  for all  this rain Huh

Or did the weather  ppl get it wrong. ...again Roll Eyes

No tenemos miedo!

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #53 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:04pm

The_Barnacle wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 11:43am:
Freediver is correct
Even this time of year we average an evaporation rate of 3mm per day. To have healthy plants we need rain that has soaked deep enough into the soil that it won't evaporate as quickly

Do you know what happens with evaporation during the winter? It settles during the cooler periods of the day and night on other places. Not much of it blows away to the ocean. In fact, the great high-pressure systems have a tendency to push moist air onto the coast from the east and the north to the interior. Frosts and general vapor settle on the ground. I don't know what country you are from, but I have lived in the driest parts of the country, and I know that the flora can handle weak rainfall years. It is the crop growing areas that need the rainfall.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #54 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:05pm

Francis wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 10:01pm:
Still waiting  for all  this rain Huh

Or did the weather  ppl get it wrong. ...again Roll Eyes

I think some areas got good rain. While other places missed out.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #55 - May 22nd, 2017 at 12:32am

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 7:59am:

Just for clarification, are you saying that a month's worth of rain in a day per month would also see drought from evaporation? For example, my town of Rockhampton gets about 900mm of rain every year. If on the first of the month, every month, we got 80mm of rain, and then none again until the next month, are you saying that we would also have drought conditions for the 28th/30th day (before the next day's rain)?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - May 22nd, 2017 at 7:40pm

Quote:
Do you know what happens with evaporation during the winter? It settles during the cooler periods of the day and night on other places. Not much of it blows away to the ocean. In fact, the great high-pressure systems have a tendency to push moist air onto the coast from the east and the north to the interior.

Ah, so it blows into the desert, not out to sea? That's great.

Quote:
I don't know what country you are from, but I have lived in the driest parts of the country, and I know that the flora can handle weak rainfall years. It is the crop growing areas that need the rainfall.

So we would be one step short of a dustbowl?

Quote:
Just for clarification, are you saying that a month's worth of rain in a day per month would also see drought from evaporation?

No. I think that is normal. In the really heavy rainfall events, a lot is lost to runoff.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #57 - May 22nd, 2017 at 10:13pm

The inspiration behind this is that Rockhampton has residents that do not like it when it rains too much. We are so accustomed to long periods of time between rainfall. If it does not rain for a month, we like to see the change in weather for rainfall. But if we get rain more than once a week, people seem to complain.

Personally, I would love it if we got 100mm of rain over this week, just before the winter starts. But, if not, it would be great to get a repeat of that 180mm+ rainfall in one day that we did get last winter.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print