Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
If we cut funding for private schools ... (Read 6350 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

If we cut funding for private schools ...
May 5th, 2017 at 9:48am

If we cut funding for private schools where will Australia get its arseholes from?

Malcolm Turnbull has triggered discord within the Liberal Party and among conservative voters with proposed education funding reform that would see money reduced from 24 private schools and redistributed among government schools. It’s difficult to make a case that private schools should get government funding when non-private schools exist exactly for that purpose, but there’s one thing we really need to consider here: Australia’s arseholes need to come from somewhere.

Look, I understand, your extremely precocious 6-year-old, Bartholomew, is special. He needs an education where a) they will teach him the appropriate way to address a butler and b) he won’t have to be exposed to anyone who knows what the inside of a Centrelink looks like. While government schools certainly get the job done, there’s a certain je ne sais quoi that private schools provide, specifically, the ability and inclination to use the phrase ‘je ne sais quoi’ in a sentence.

In a utilitarian sense, Australia might not strictly need people who know how to fence or speak Church Latin, but if we don’t have our private schools, who will be rude to our waiters? Who will leave one-star reviews of restaurants because the tap water tasted like it came out of a tap? Who will park their obscene Porsche four-wheel-drive partially across two parking spaces – one of which is handicapped – just to make sure that no one dings it? Who will complain about homeless people making the neighbourhood look ‘untidy’?

It might seem like all of those examples are awful things that a horrible person would do, but this country is a rich tapestry of human beings that would be far less rich if it weren’t for the sort of people who move next to an iconic music venue and try to have it shut down with noise complaints. And where do these people come from? Private schools.

Private schools aren’t just about removing your child or children from the real world and placing them in a hermetically-sealed bubble of families who all own at least a half-share in a racehorse, they’re also about teaching your child or children that they are, in every way, better than everyone else. Private schools give children the confidence and determination to demand things they are not entitled to and to be outraged at not having things they don’t actually deserve.

There’s a reason that a lot of wealthy and powerful people come from private schools and it’s because they are taught one supremely valuable thing: a complete disregard for the wellbeing and feelings of anyone who has never been to the opera or played polo. Our politicians and titans of industry are empowered to make the sorts of decisions that only benefit the wealthy and are massively detrimental to the poor because private schooling blessed them with a childhood completely free from interacting with the filthy rabble who “needed that money to eat”.

An idiot would see the religious right demanding government funding for Catholic schools and the same religious right demanding the government stop funding Safe Schools because it’s “too ideological” as a hypocrisy of titanic proportions, but religious private schools are about more than just making sure children are taught creationism and evolution with equal weight. They’re also integral in raising the next generation of people who will come under fire for posting pictures to Facebook of themselves next to an endangered African animal that they shot with with a bazooka out of a helicopter.

Obviously, arseholes come from all walks of life, and not everyone that comes from a private school is an arsehole, but no other institutions in this country provide as comprehensive an introduction and indoctrination into the arsehole lifestyle as our private schools do (except maybe the university bodies involved in student politics).

As always, we must think long-term. Sure, it’s easy to defund private schools now, but in 20 years’ time, who will try and take away your penalty rates? Who will try and defund Medicare? I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to have to live in an Australia where P-platers in $80,000 cars aren’t empowered to run into your car in the Woollies car park and not leave a note.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2017/05/04/if-we-cut-funding-private-school...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: If we cut funding for private schools ...
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:17am

So anyone who disagrees with you is an arsehole. That's a great way to start a discussion, I'll go along with it. Answer: Muzlim immigration.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:22am

issuevoter wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 10:17am:
So anyone who disagrees with you is an arsehole. That's a great way to start a discussion, I'll go along with it. Answer: Muzlim immigration.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2017/05/04/if-we-cut-funding-private-schools-where-will-australia-get-i
ts-arseholes

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:27am

You're becoming quite infamous for drawing longbows, Issue. I've come to expect it from you.

But congratulations! You made the thread about Muslims in reply no. 1.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:28am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 10:22am:

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2017/05/04/if-we-cut-funding-private-schools-where-will-australia-get-i
ts-arseholes

Roll Eyes

Brings a song to mind:

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:31am

mothra wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 10:28am:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 10:22am:

ts-arseholes

Roll Eyes

Brings a song to mind:

Classic   Grin

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:35am

And this:

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:39am

Young Ones. One of my favourites. Are we talking private schools or richo private schools. Most private schools out my way are battling schools funded by parents who work their whole lives away so their kids don't have to work in a factory.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:43am

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:53am

as i have three grandson two gone through pte schools and one still there I take such offence to that comment... Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:54am

and our Universities breed WHAT MAY I ASK>.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2017 at 11:02am

cods wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 10:54am:
and our Universities breed WHAT MAY I ASK>.

People with degrees, Cods.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - May 5th, 2017 at 12:01pm

Nothing like the topic of private schools to bring out the identity politics  Cheesy

IBI

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2017 at 12:05pm

Gordon wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 12:01pm:
Nothing like the topic of private schools to bring out the identity politics  Cheesy

Or, you could just take a joke. Your choice.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - May 5th, 2017 at 12:13pm

mothra wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 12:05pm:
Gordon wrote on May 5th, 2017 at 12:01pm:

Or, you could just take a joke. Your choice.

Yes, identity politics delivered in comedic form.

As I said, nothing like the topic of private schools to bring out the identity politics  Cheesy

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print