Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lest we forget those that also serve in peacetime (Read 2373 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

Lest we forget those that also serve in peacetime
May 4th, 2017 at 8:20pm

Seems one digger has paid, the ultimate price, for the ADF.   Lest we forget those that also serve in peacetime.    Sad

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Re: Lest we forget those that also serve in peacetime
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2017 at 9:49am

It is a dangerous job, even in peacetime

RIP ol' Mate

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2017 at 5:58pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2017 at 11:23pm

Another digger dies.  Lest we forget.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2017 at 9:28am

Brian Ross wrote on May 10th, 2017 at 11:23pm:

Time to wind off the tempo a bit I think. The peacetime death rate for training never used be this high, what the hell is going on?

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2017 at 5:51pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 11th, 2017 at 9:28am:

Time to wind off the tempo a bit I think. The peacetime death rate for training never used be this high, what the hell is going on?

It's a young person's game nowadays, BigOl64.  The older diggers and NCOs are all retired.  With their weeding out, goes institutional memory.  It used to be much worse than this during the Vietnam War.  I remember reading the Training Bulletins which the Army published and they contained on their back cover a list of the accidents for the last 3 months.   Some very nasty ones in the late 1960s, early 1970s.   Worst I read was a mortar being deployed under some trees, firing through the trees.  Problem was the branches were just above the arming distance for the mortar rounds.  Two mortar rounds were fired, two detonated just above the crews of the Mortars.   1 dead, 5 wounded.    Sad

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2017 at 5:56pm

I remember reading how the 500 men died in Vietnam. There were a couple of deaths from Russian Roulette. One guy died when a round ricocheted of a palm tree. Vehicle accidents etc Several American  nurses were murdered by soldiers. It was a dirty war.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 5:56pm:
I remember reading how the 500 men died in Vietnam. There were a couple of deaths from Russian Roulette. One guy died when a round ricocheted of a palm tree. Vehicle accidents etc Several American  nurses were murdered by soldiers. It was a dirty war.

Full list of lossed during the Vietnam War for Australian Forces.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:30pm

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #9 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:55pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 5:51pm:
BigOl64 wrote on May 11th, 2017 at 9:28am:

It's a young person's game nowadays, BigOl64.  The older diggers and NCOs are all retired.  With their weeding out, goes institutional memory.  It used to be much worse than this during the Vietnam War.  I remember reading the Training Bulletins which the Army published and they contained on their back cover a list of the accidents for the last 3 months.   Some very nasty ones in the late 1960s, early 1970s.   Worst I read was a mortar being deployed under some trees, firing through the trees.  Problem was the branches were just above the arming distance for the mortar rounds.  Two mortar rounds were fired, two detonated just above the crews of the Mortars.   1 dead, 5 wounded.    Sad

We were losing aircrew at a phenomenal rate during the 80's and early 90s, due to the high operational tempo that some genius decided we could maintain. Throw in the slow deaths for maintainers due to various chemical exposures and peace time service was all that safe.

But do what you are told when you are told, and be happy about it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print