Rule proposals.. (Read 6774 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Re: Rule proposals..
Reply #30 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Quote:
sorry but I disagree.
Firstly, only a teenager declares themselves a 'winner' on an online forum. If you come here to 'win' debates you're in the wrong place. Perhaps you need to find a debate forum? People come here to exchange ideas, discuss options, hear other peoples points of views etc. There are no winners or losers.

Secondly, I may not give enough of a sh1t about your counter argument to bother with a reply. If you need to tell yourself you won that debate, go ahead. I'm pretty sure no one will lose sleep over it.

Thirdly, that crap you wrote about politicians has no relevance here and is a pathetic and rather sad attempt to try and get me to agree with you.

John, you managed to convince me about the benefits of on-shore processing, and I admitted that I had changed my point of view and agreed with you. Aussie and Brian Ross have also been successful in convincing me and changing my mind.

How many people on this Forum could ever really admit that?

Ye Grappler could've convinced me of his point of view, and I would've conceded and become more centrist.

I think what I asked, John Smith, was not an unreasonable point of view.

If no one can be convinced of anything or every change their mind, then what's the point?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #31 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:47pm

Vic wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:24pm:
You haven't responded to my post in politics regarding Welfare.   You have 24 hours left or i win (nah nah nah nah nah)

So, if you and I were engaging in a debate over issues, and then all of sudden I gave up and no longer responded to that thread, what would you think?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #32 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:49pm

mothra wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:32pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:28pm:
I agree with your argument, Augie. Let's do it.

Starting from now.

I thoroughly disagree.

I think we should start after i knock off from work.

Make your case as to why would should start now and not when i knock off from work or concede defeat.

Mothra, I'm referring to the specific post I made to Ye Grappler. I'm happy for anyone to take it on. The problem is that no one has so far, and I think I know the reason why.

Because you and I weren't the ones debating, it doesn't apply to you. If you do or say nothing, then it doesn't apply.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #33 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:51pm

mothra wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:39pm:
John Smith wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:35pm:
mothra wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:32pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:28pm:
I agree with your argument, Augie. Let's do it.

Starting from now.

I thoroughly disagree.

I think we should start after i knock off from work.

Make your case as to why would should start now and not when i knock off from work or concede defeat.

that's not a valid argument, just give up and declare me the winner

I'll have you know, i'm electing to ignore your argument because i consider it unworthy of my attention, not because i'm conceding defeat.

Then, you shouldn't responsibly comment on this thread at all. Either refute the point through careful argumentation and debate, or concede defeat.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:51pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:46pm:
John, you managed to convince me about the benefits of on-shore processing, and I admitted that I had changed my point of view and agreed with you.

that's because the arguments I gave you were sound. Whether you agreed or not, my arguments remain sound and your acceptance of it is neither here nor there.

that doesn't mean that I won or that you lost, it's just means you hadn't considered something that I was able to bring to light. Your acceptance of it is merely an indication that you were more open minded than most people on here.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #35 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:52pm

mothra wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:23pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:16pm:
mothra wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
I see Karnal has declared me the winner.

Fck off, TROLL... Leftard IDIOT...

A compelling argument.

Alright, i concede defeat. We'll start now.

So, you agree that you're a TROLL and Leftard IDIOT?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:54pm

Ye Grappler could've convinced me of his point of view, and I would've conceded and become more centrist.

only if he cared enough about it to want to convince you.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #37 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:56pm

John Smith wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:51pm:
John, you managed to convince me about the benefits of on-shore processing, and I admitted that I had changed my point of view and agreed with you.

that's because the arguments I gave you were sound. Whether you agreed or not, my arguments remain sound and your acceptance of it is neither here nor there.

that doesn't mean that I won or that you lost, it's just means you hadn't considered something that I was able to bring to light. Your acceptance of it is merely an indication that you were more open minded than most people on here.

I agree I am open-minded.

As far as I am concerned, you won the argument, and were successful in convincing.

Think of it like this: during the election campaign when each party proposes their policies, how do you determine who is right or not? Conversely, how do these parties convince voters to support their policies? Ultimately, it comes to 'winning the argument'. The problem is that debate and discussion has become based on emotion and intuition, rather than sound logic and argumentation. That's how most politicians win; they appeal to emotion, rather than logic.

I don't expect everyone on this Forum to be as intelligent as I am, but there needs to be some kind of standard. We're sharing ideas on this forum. Are we seriously saying that we don't want to be convinced of the facts, irrespective?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #38 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:57pm

John Smith wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:54pm:

So, if he doesn't care, then he shouldn't have responsibly even engaged with me in the first place.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - May 4th, 2017 at 4:00pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:52pm:

A compelling argument.

She has to. That's the new rule.

Under the old rules, Mother could call me an IDIOT and a TROLL back and we'd have a decent debate, but we're starting from now, okay?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #40 - May 4th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 4:00pm:
Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:52pm:

A compelling argument.

She has to. That's the new rule.

Under the old rules, Mother could call me an IDIOT and a TROLL back and we'd have a decent debate, but we're starting from now, okay?

Under the new rules, she is still allowed to refute your argument and debate it. If she chooses not to refute it, then she would have to. As far as I'm aware, she has made no attempt to refute your claim.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #41 - May 4th, 2017 at 4:33pm

This could only work in a more formal setting. As you can see, you've been hounded by wayward wretches - such people would be ejected in a formal setting. This forum's potential ended about 2 years ago.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - May 4th, 2017 at 4:50pm

Caesaraugustus, OzPol is not a place where any weight is given to a declaration of a win.  In fact, you may have noticed how many times buffoons here declare themselves a winner....or 'mark their own home-work' as I often say.  Real validation is not going to happen with a Rule of the kind you propose.....'Whoopeeeeee. I won because he did not reply in time.'

Nah.

Best to demonstrate the quality of what you post by simply posting.....quality.  Over time, others will take a position of respect or total lack of interest or somewhere, anywhere in between.  To use Karnal as an example.  You have to have been here for a while to understand this bloke.  Yeas, its a bloke not a woman. More than half the time, he is taking the piss and it is obvious to those who know what he does.  On other occasions, it is always crystal clear when he is presenting a serious opinion which, in my experience, is always very cogently and credibly argued.  But......he gets no Winner's Crown for it.  He just gets on with being......Karnal.

OzPol does not award 'Winner' medals.  Quite the reverse, if anything.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2017 at 5:00pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - May 4th, 2017 at 4:56pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:57pm:
John Smith wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 3:54pm:

So, if he doesn't care, then he shouldn't have responsibly even engaged with me in the first place.

why not?  he made his point, and probably felt that repeating himself was pointless.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #44 - May 4th, 2017 at 4:56pm

Karnal has no credibility. His positions change according to party lines.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print