Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Rule proposals.. (Read 6776 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Rule proposals..
May 4th, 2017 at 1:29pm

I would like to propose a new rule in OzPolitic. If a member fails to respond to a counter argument post within 48 hours (and they have logged on during that time), then that person shall be deemed to have lost the argument, and must change his/her point of view and agree with the person with whom he/she argued.

Reasons such as 'this is a stupid example' or 'I'm not going to dignify that question with an answer' or any other evasory reasons are not acceptable reasons to refuse debate or discussion. Either you continue debating or concede defeat;  stalemate is possible if both parties agree.

The foregoing rules shall not apply to any debate or discussion directly relating to a specific person or any details of that person (except with his/her explicit consent).

This is a forum: no idea should be undebatable. If you argue it's undebatable, then this is automatically a concession of defeat, subject to the foregoing paragraph.

Concession of defeat must be clearly stated in the following manner: "I (insert nickname) have lost the argument concerning this topic. I agree with (insert nickname) and have now changed my point of view to agree with (opponent's name)."

Failure to concede defeat openly on this forum shall result in a one-week suspension from the Forum, but no person shall be suspended for more than two weeks in any one month period.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Rule proposals..
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:32pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:29pm:
then that person shall be deemed to have lost the argument, and must change his/her point of view and agree with the person with whom he/she argued.

how old are you?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:35pm

Augie, far too many comments are made on here that are not worthy of debate.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:36pm

I am ignoring this thread for 48 hours.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:37pm

issuevoter wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:36pm:

you lose  Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:41pm

John Smith wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:32pm:
then that person shall be deemed to have lost the argument, and must change his/her point of view and agree with the person with whom he/she argued.

how old are you?

It's not a matter of age, John Smith, it's a matter of debating ethics: you can't simply ignore a person's counter argument and get away with it. You either win or lose, otherwise we're no better than politicians who squirm their way of debate. Do you want to be be as guilty as a politician, or are you better than them?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:42pm

mothra wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:35pm:

No idea is above is scrutiny. Ultimately, if you feel that a person cannot be reasoned with, then just concede defeat and move on; at least you'll make that person feel better.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:43pm

issuevoter wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:36pm:

You can ignore this thread, but not any argument in which you engage with a fellow forum member unless you concede defeat.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:44pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:42pm:

No idea is above is scrutiny. Ultimately, if you feel that a person cannot be reasoned with, then just concede defeat and move on; at least you'll make that person feel better.

Why would i concede defeat when they are clearly wrong?

I prefer to think of it as taking the higher ground.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:46pm

I wrote this post because I presented an example to Ye Grappler yesterday. He was logged on but didn't respond, probably because he felt that the example was not worthy of debate. I refer to 'Sensible Welfare Reform.' I think the example I've provided is reasonable.

If Ye Grappler does not respond or continue to engage in meaningful debate, then he must concede defeat and accept my point of view. As someone who rails against the establishment, Ye Grappler is acting like a politician by avoiding the difficult questions, which is hypocritical.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:47pm

mothra wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:44pm:
Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:42pm:

Why would i concede defeat when they are clearly wrong?

I prefer to think of it as taking the higher ground.

You would be taking the higher ground by being noble. At the end of the day, you don't need to truly believe it; it's only for the purposes of this forum.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:48pm

how old are you?

Grin Grin Grin..

he believes   he can win an argument on here..by default..

ooooooooooooooooooo if only.. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:51pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
I wrote this post because I presented an example to Ye Grappler yesterday. He was logged on but didn't respond, probably because he felt that the example was not worthy of debate. I refer to 'Sensible Welfare Reform.' I think the example I've provided is reasonable.

If Ye Grappler does not respond or continue to engage in meaningful debate, then he must concede defeat and accept my point of view. As someone who rails against the establishment, Ye Grappler is acting like a politician by avoiding the difficult questions, which is hypocritical.

my dear sir..... has it occurred to your good self grap had lost complete interest  in your argument and couldnt be bothered...

if you are looking for knock out blows to win any argument   this is the wrong place for you..

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:51pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:46pm:

He doesn't have to do anything of the sort.

Sometimes you're in the mood for certain subjects, sometimes you aren't.

Sometimes you can clearly see there is no point rebutting because the person is intractable. It does not equate to a concession of defeat. It is just a recognition of what is bootless.

Sometimes, as i said, some posts are threads are not worthy of comment. That doesn't imply tacit agreement with the premise.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:56pm

Auggie wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 1:41pm:

how old are you?

It's not a matter of age, John Smith, it's a matter of debating ethics: you can't simply ignore a person's counter argument and get away with it. You either win or lose, otherwise we're no better than politicians who squirm their way of debate. Do you want to be be as guilty as a politician, or are you better than them?

sorry but I disagree.
Firstly, only a teenager declares themselves a 'winner' on an online forum. If you come here to 'win' debates you're in the wrong place. Perhaps you need to find a debate forum? People come here to exchange ideas, discuss options, hear other peoples points of views etc. There are no winners or losers.

Secondly, I may not give enough of a sh1t about your counter argument to bother with a reply. If you need to tell yourself you won that debate, go ahead. I'm pretty sure no one will lose sleep over it.

Thirdly, that crap you wrote about politicians has no relevance here and is a pathetic and rather sad attempt to try and get me to agree with you.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print