Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
7 young veterans have taken their lives (Read 3050 times)
Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 7 young veterans have taken their lives
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:40pm

mothra wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:34pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:28pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:27pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
bwood1946 wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:21pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:17pm:
The blokes from  ww1 and ww2 never got looked after. Many got back traumatised with somebody in their job who didn't fight. There's plenty of scabs to pick regarding our war veterans if we dare to.

Well now thanks the VNV  Starting in 1973 THEY DO AND WELL Grin Grin

Then why are so many of them dying?
Because the come back traumatised.

Indeed. And what exactly is being done about that?
There's nothing that can be done when traumatised. My mate went to Timor and he helped clean up loads of bodies. He used to be the life of the party. I was talking to his brother the other day and he keeps to himself now. He works in the mines and plays the pokies. They'll never be the same.

There i a considerable amount that can be done for trauma.

It's very true that PTSD is very difficult to treat and that resolution from it is unlikely but there are ways of supporting these people that we do not currently employ.
Pills, talking to people, support groups. Hasn't worked yet. Stupid wars.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:48pm

Australia has a long and 'proud' history of vilifying their veterans who haven't 'met expectations'.  Angry Angry

SEVERAL times Tom Bicknell thought he was going to die as he battled starvation, exhaustion, disease and torture as a Japanese prisoner of war.

But when the lance corporal found himself lying in a cattle truck with a pile of dead soldiers, near Bangkok in Thailand, he thought, “This could be it”.

His body had nearly given up after toiling on the infamous Thai-Burma Railway for more than six months.

More than 12,000 Allied soldiers died there in horrific conditions, being forced to work with primitive tools and their bare hands in disease infested areas, on just two spoonfuls of mouldy rice per day.

“They’d pulled me off the truck with all the dead ones,” said Mr Bicknell, 93, who had lied about his age so he could enlist at age 17.

He was taken prisoner when Singapore fell in February 1942, after fighting the Japanese for more than a month in Malaya and Singapore.

Too weak to move, he would have died in the dirt alongside the corpses at Ban Pong station, but he was saved by “absolute sheer bloody luck”.

One of his ‘‘band of brothers’’ – a group of six mates who had been through hell together since first meeting during training in Bathurst – just happened to be unloading the corpses and recognised him.

Don Mackenzie, like Bicknell, was just skin and bones at this stage and was hardly able to stand.

But somehow he summoned the strength and wit to steal three eggs.

As he made his way back to his mate, he dropped one of the eggs, but he scooped it up and kept going.

“He’s lying alongside me holding my hand, saying, ‘don’t give up Tom, don’t give up’,” said Bicknell, who now lives at residential home RSL LifeCare Narrabeen.

“And I’m saying, ‘never, never, never’. That’s all I can remember saying.”

For three days they lay together beside the railway tracks, with Mackenzie feeding Bicknell two of the eggs and small sips of water, while he himself had the egg with all the dirt in it.

The Japanese showed no interest in the two diggers.

Eventually, Mackenzie managed to haul Bicknell into a railway cattle truck going south to Singapore.

It was standing room only and many died on that journey back to Changi.

“I still don’t know how long it took, probably three, four, five days,” remembers Bicknell.

“It’s a fair distance anyhow. That was a bloody terrible thing.”

Back in Changi POW camp, the pair were immediately sent to hospital, where Bicknell stayed for more than seven months.

After that, he was sent back to work building Changi airfield and then digging tunnels, which he later learnt the Japanese had planned to use to entomb their prisoners if they were invaded.

“I refused to die,” said Bicknell.

“It’s as simple as that.”

Miraculously all six mates survived, and when the Japanese surrendered in August 1945, the horrified Gurkhas who were first into Changi found them skeletal and very sick.

“My clothes had all gone but I had on some boots and a jock strap and this little Gurkha took his shirt off and tried to put it on me,” Bicknell said.

The much-loved father, grandfather and great-grandfather has never told his story publicly until now.

Partly, because it’s so horrific and he has tried to forget, but also because he has long felt that Australia was ashamed of the POWs who were captured in Singapore.

Astonishing as it may seem now, he and his fellow diggers were not treated as heroes on their return, but booed as they disembarked in Sydney and he remembers one time being called a coward.

He and sweetheart Fay wasted no time marrying and she nursed him back to health. It took six months.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/war-hero-tom-bicknells-re...

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 4:51pm

Quote:

Chris May survived Afghanistan. Then came the battle to fit back in to society.

Someone should be encouraging these guys to read scripture.

This world tends to suck the human psyche empty of all care and meaning.

Do not listen to the influence of this world, it has nothing good for you.

It is a test, for every one of us.

Reading God's word will put us on a sure path.

It has the power to 'touch us', and set us upon a sure path.

Seeking that influence is up to us.

Psalms 56:1
Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.
2  Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
3  What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
4  In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
5  Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.
6  They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.
7  Shall they escape by iniquity? in thine anger cast down the people, O God.
8  Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
9  When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.
10  In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.
11  In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
12  Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
13  For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

Revelation 3:19
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 5:13pm

We know, mothra.  I'm working my way towards doing something about it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 5:21pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 5:13pm:

What's your plan, Grap?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:30pm

mothra wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 5:21pm:

What's your plan, Grap?

I've been asked to work for the Vet's Association - been tied up with renovating this house for the ex's disabilities - but in the next year I will be positioning myself so I can help and advise young Veterans.

One of the worst things is that many are unemployed and considered unemployable by prospective employers - what greater rejection is there than that?  If I can raise the funds, I want to install a Veterans Employment Agency and maybe a Veterans handled business - many have skills that can be put to good use - and maybe something like the farm in Canada for Canadian Veterans of Afghanistan - some place where they can go and be part of something again, so they don't feel so lost.

At one time I was working on a Social Science degree with Law with the intent of working for the Veteran community, but was interrupted by my own fight with DVA, which left me devastated and nearly broken and broke and in despair.  Takes a long time to get over that kind of thing.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:32pm

bwood1946 wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:07pm:
cods wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 1:49pm:
we must show them we care... and ANZAC Day  mustnt stop for some of those ret vets...

the DVA has a lot to answer for as far as I am concerned.

I have spoken about this in other threads..

Cods dont post about something you know nothing about the support from DVA IS GREAT...

They now even support my son..Son of a VNV
Angry Angry Angry Angry

excuse me..just because I am not a wAr vet doesnt mean I cannot read..... and good for  your son  for still getting support   that does not distract from the stories I read where  men went away in perfect health came back with huge mental issues and have had to fight even harder for recognition of their health..

personally I think its disgusting... and even you would have to agree there are far too many suicides... even if your son is being well cared for..

so please dont tell me what I have the right to comment on thank you..

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/former-nrl-player-andrew-hodge-still-...

HIS name is Andrew Hodge and he lives in complicated torment.

He will talk to his wife Monica and tell her something wonderful and she will slow down, the troubled plight of a wife, and with kind words she will tell him he told her that yesterday.

It confused him initially.

Andrew Hodge is somebody few of us know but whom we all owe a great debt.

Former rugby league player Andrew Hodge
He played rugby league for Gold Coast in 1995 and Newcastle the season after and failed to crack it. So he left looking for something meaningful and that was the Army’s special forces and life as a sniper.

The world was a different place then. The two towers stood tall in New York. There was safety in crowds, nothing else, and bag checks at sporting grounds searched for nothing more sinister than soft drinks.

We say this now because Anzac Day, which unifies this country more than any day on our calendar, comes next Tuesday and the NRL is celebrating its Anzac Round.

Hodge is one of the few to have done the elite level at both but, instead of being celebrated, he remains among the victims.

Pain and depression are daily battles in his life.

It began on tour in Afghanistan in 2008 when a rock shifted under his tyre and he and the quad-bike he was riding tumbled down a mountainside.

He suffered fractured bones across his body. It tore nerves in his neck and shoulder. The tyre rolled across his head, causing brain damage.

Later they found a bone chip between his C5 and C6 vertebrae.

Hodge returned to Australia with promises of care, finally discharged in 2010. He called last August distraught. Gripped in his hand was a letter from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

“I note that both children were born after your accepted injury, therefore, you and Mrs Hodge would have been aware of your limitations and parental responsibilities with regards to the care children require,” stated the letter.

“Although child care assistance has been previously approved this does not fit with the MRCA policy and guidelines nor community standards in regards to caring for children when both parents are not working/studying.”

Andrew Hodge says he has received insufficient assistance from the government since returning.
The DVA cut Monica’s attendant care allowance and their child care allowance. There was no choice but to write about it.

Then the night before the story, the printers began rolling at Chullora with that great rumble that says news is coming, a call from out of the blue arrived at the Hodge household.

The DVA expressed dismay at his plight and promised change. Within days, their child care assistance was restored.

Many more promises were made in the days following and for the first time in many months a relief filled Andrew Hodge’s voice. For a man in constant pain, relief is everything, and such was its size Hodge wanted to tell everyone how the DVA had come to his assistance. But he was warned to be patient. All he had were promises.

Now it is six months later and nothing more has changed.

Now Hodge, who fought for this country, whose game is celebrating that sacrifice this weekend, is more frustrated than he ever was.

His advocate was a tireless man called Frank Benfield who fought hard.

Benfield worked on the Veteran’s Review Board for 13 years and was a member of the Prime Ministerial Advisory Council and said on the record Hodge had severe problems.

Now Benfield has retired, though, and Hodge has to bring his new caseworker up to speed. With a memory that fails and a drawer full of conflicting letters from the Defence Department and the Department of Veteran Affairs it is close to fulltime work to comprehend. He feels like he is always talking to someone new.

Andrew Hodge suffered serious injuries while serving his nation.
Hodge was on the phone again this week, beaten down by frustration. The relief in his voice long gone and his complaints came from 40 directions.

cont..

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:33pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:30pm:

What's your plan, Grap?

I've been asked to work for the Vet's Association - been tied up with renovating this house for the ex's disabilities - but in the next year I will be positioning myself so I can help and advise young Veterans.

One of the worst things is that many are unemployed and considered unemployable by prospective employers - what greater rejection is there than that?  If I can raise the funds, I want to install a Veterans Employment Agency and maybe a Veterans handled business - many have skills that can be put to good use - and maybe something like the farm in Canada for Canadian Veterans of Afghanistan - some place where they can go and be part of something again, so they don't feel so lost.

At one time I was working on a Social Science degree with Law with the intent of working for the Veteran community, but was interrupted by my own fight with DVA, which left me devastated and nearly broken and broke and in despair.  Takes a long time to get over that kind of thing.

I honestly believe that anyone who has served this country in war should be guaranteed a house and employment for the remainder of their lives.

If they cannot work, they should be granted a pension of sufficient size o allow them to live in absolute dignity.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:35pm

cont.

Hodge was on the phone again this week, beaten down by frustration. The relief in his voice long gone and his complaints came from 40 directions.

He believes the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Dan Tehan listens and remains sympathetic but he is not being told the complete truth.

Hodge had in his hand a letter from the DVA telling his new advocate that caseworkers were in regular contact with his doctor, co-ordinating Hodge’s needs. In truth, used loosely here in relation to government departments, they were fulfilling the first law of the public service which is to document empty work to show movement.

0:18
/
0:43

Autoplay

Sombre tribute to the ANZACs
1:04

Post match brawl fines
0:28

Kane still long term prospect
0:39

Boak injured his hamstring
0:32

Julia Roberts fangirls over CR7
1:37

Big Sam still stinging
1:56

Hayne Plane taking off?
1:08

Foxes ready to fight
0:41

Trengove cleared to play
0:51

Pakistan close in on victory
0:50

MRP clear Toby
0:25

Anzac footy fever builds
2:11

Nank the tank pumped with win
2:42

NRL players shout out to Defence Force personnel on Anzac Day
0:39

Defence Force personnel shout out to their NRL teams
1:11

Defence Force personnel shout out to their footy teams
1:29

101-year-old nails 100m dash
0:26

Esterhuizen cops six-week ban
2:39

Nathan Kepa scores three tries in Brothers v Mossman game, Pt Douglas
2:20

League Central TV: NRL's biggest stars decide their futures
“I spoke to my GP after I got that,” he says of this letter to the Minister. “He’s had one phone call in six years.”

The only regular action he gets now are the defeats. “Their replies are full of lies,” he says.

Recently he finally got granted access to massages and acupuncture to deal with his pain. But the Army had already classified him an invalid because of his brain injury and so taken his driver’s licence. And the DVA won’t pay for his travel, so the treatments are again irrelevant.

The DVA’s behaviour seems to follow the course of the big insurance companies. Employ delay tactics to frustrate their liabilities.

And that’s what Hodge seems to be to them, a liability. It is the only way to explain his daily struggle to live a life pain free. That is all he wants. Constant staff turnovers mean he is forever retelling his story, always going back to the start, always starting again at the next switch.

We celebrate this weekend for the sacrifices that many made.

And yet we overlook those still paying for it because it seems to be an inconvenience, a story that fails to fit the narrative.

It is our shame.

bwood I am really glad for your son...I really am.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:41pm

mothra wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:33pm:

What's your plan, Grap?

I honestly believe that anyone who has served this country in war should be guaranteed a house and employment for the remainder of their lives.

If they cannot work, they should be granted a pension of sufficient size o allow them to live in absolute dignity.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:09pm

What's your plan, Grap?

No kidding here, mothra - I had a young Digger pal and one time while I was visiting my kids and had a rifle in the car, I was worried that my son might play with it (I NEVER travel with an unloaded weapon and always patrolled with one up the spout contrary to regulations).  I left it with the Digger, and he had been unemployed for twelve months and wouldn't take Social Security.  Didn't say a word about it.  Later he was caught with two sets of plates on his car on his way to rob a bank with MY rifle.

He served time - I was lucky.  Cost me my licence to carry.  I was working in security at the time and this could have been bad.

These things are no joke and are not fun for anyone, especially the people affected, men and women.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:15pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:26pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
'No-one cares, mate': Being a war veteran at 27

Chris May survived Afghanistan. Then came the battle to fit back in to society.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-25/being-a-war-veteran-at-27/8467046?smid=Pag...

Its a national disgrace which should be treated like a national crisis. I believe Jacqui Lambie raised it a while back, but nothing much seems to have come from it. I believe its an insult to the vets to spend huge amounts of money on monuments and parades while depriving the real sufferers of the support and care they need and deserve.

Typical bs response from you.

ANZAC Day is one day of the year

& monuments to fallen soldiers don't cost a lot.

I have a beer with a 2 tour VN vet & he has nothing but praise for the Dept. Veterans Affairs.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:21pm

What's your plan, Grap?

Shocked I can agree with those sentiments. Believe it or not.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 8:54pm

There are free government services for war veterans to be treated by psychiatrists, which includes one-on-one sessions with a doctor, and group therapy with fellow vets, and prescription drugs to help with anxiety and panic attacks.

What would be very useful would be a full accounting of what each suicide person was doing for the three months leading up to their taking their lives. Were they under treatment? etc

The backbone of psychiatric practice is the prescription drugs, with the chatter part of the treatment being mostly a waste of everybody's time except the person who's getting paid.

Been there, done it. Suicides to the left and right of me in the hospital. The doctors are well-meaning and caring individuals, but by the time a person becomes a psychiatric patient as an adult - it's years too late. You can't unscramble the egg or put the poo back into the horse's bum.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:15pm

Excerpt:

'These days, more than five years on, the TBI has eased to a constant headache. If he hasn't drunk enough water, it'll be a tension headache. If he's stressed, it'll throb. But, in some form or another, it's always there. Especially since May jettisoned the medication — if the pain is never going away, he reasoned, might as well make it the norm. Get used to it.

And that's when he also jettisons my sympathy.

He's a returned vet with traumatic brain injury (TBI), but then doesn't go through with the professional help he has been given.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print