Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Struggling To Afford Their Mortgage Repayments (Read 1627 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Struggling To Afford Their Mortgage Repayments
Apr 24th, 2017 at 7:05am

Victorian mortgage stress and interest rates put homes on the brink
Herald Sun
April 23, 2017

HUNDREDS of thousands of Victorians are under mortgage stress, and many more will be pushed to the brink of defaulting on their loans if banks continue to push up interest rates.   Sad

Data crunched for the Herald Sun shows 300,000 homeowners are struggling to afford their mortgage repayments, a figure that would almost double if rates were to rise by 2 per cent.

RATES ON HOLD, RBA TAKES SWIPE AT LENDERS

As the federal government scrambles to tackle housing affordability in its upcoming Budget, ­economists warn interest rate rises will hurt those who have managed to get on the property ladder.

Modelling produced by Digital Finance Analytics shows workingclass families who own homes in Narre Warren, Craigieburn, Endeavour Hills and Berwick are facing the most mortgage stress.

Even a 0.5 per cent interest rate hike would put an extra 50,000 owner-occupiers and investors under pressure in Victoria. The big banks have started to increase rates out of cycle with the Reserve Bank.

Digital Finance Analytics principal Martin North said he was certain rates would keep going up over the next 18 months.

“We have a lot of households today who are on the edge,” he said.
Narre Warren home owners are under major stress.

“They’re managing to make their repayments, but they’re spending less at the shops, cutting back on other things, putting more on credit cards and hunkering down.”   Sad

Mr North said the combination of slow wage growth, household debt, interest rate rises and cost-of- living increases could put Australia on the cusp of a financial crisis.

“We almost need a housing correction because I don’t think regulators can solve the equation,” he said. “There’s a crash that we have to have.”

The Reserve Bank raised concerns earlier this month that a third of borrowers were a month away from missing their repayments.

RBA HOMING IN ON PROPERTY MARKET

“One-third of borrowers have either no accrued buffer or a buffer of less than one month’s repayment,” a Reserve Bank report noted.   Sad

The Digital Finance Analytics modelling relies on a rolling household survey, and data from banks and regulators, to look at people’s cashflow. It found more than 552,000 people would face mortgage stress if rates were to rise by 2 per cent, including 231,000 owner-occupiers and 321,000 investors.

Investors in Tarneit, Cranbourne, Deer Park and Glen Waverley are struggling the most with repayments.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Struggling To Afford Their Mortgage Repayments
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 10:58am

And the stupid real estate scumbags are out there banging their wooden hammers on prime time news telling everyone that they better get in quick or they will miss out !! Shows you how one sided the media is Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 10:58am

Wait until they reach 14-15% again in the New Recession We Had To Have - a recession that in no way affected Keating... unless it was positively.

I recall that one - I was dumped out of work for a couple of months and onto unemployment - every cent virtually went to my mortgage and I near starved rather than lose my home.

But men were men then....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

bwood1946
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:46am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 10:58am:
Wait until they reach 14-15% again in the New Recession We Had To Have - a recession that in no way affected Keating... unless it was positively.

I recall that one - I was dumped out of work for a couple of months and onto unemployment - every cent virtually went to my mortgage and I near starved rather than lose my home.

But men were men then....

And we had one second hand  car!
And no child support
And no over seas holidays
And the wife looked after the kid's

And we were winners , not dam WHINGERS
Grin Grin Grin Grin
SO SUCK IT UP WHINGERS

TPI  VETERAN
bwood1946 bwood1946  
IP Logged

Steampipe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:26pm

When people start spending less on gambling, booze and ciggies we can start believing that there is a problem with house prices.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 5:25pm

Steampipe wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:26pm:
When people start spending less on gambling, booze and ciggies we can start believing that there is a problem with house prices.

And stop using their house as an atm to consolidate dumb credit card debt (living above your means), or using house equity to purchase expensive cars they would otherwise not be able to afford, likewise boats, school fees, lifestyle.

In summary, living beyond your means.

All self inflicted gun shot injuries to foot region. No sympathy.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 3:43am

Rider wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
Steampipe wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:26pm:

And stop using their house as an atm to consolidate dumb credit card debt (living above your means), or using house equity to purchase expensive cars they would otherwise not be able to afford, likewise boats, school fees, lifestyle.

In summary, living beyond your means.

All self inflicted gun shot injuries to foot region. No sympathy.

Good one.
So-called investors live beyond their means also.
Pricing their kids out of the market causes their kids to wish their parents dead. So be it.
Stop making your children wish you to die....bwahaha!
Not a real good investment  IMO.

They may have a better idea. No doubt.

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2017 at 3:57am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print