Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The joys of aging (Read 8975 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

The joys of aging
Apr 23rd, 2017 at 11:54am

I know I've got a warped & bizarre sense of humour - it comes of growing up with Spike Milligan, Peter Sellars & Harry Secombe -  but it's too late for a cure now.
So, with apologies, this had me just laughing & laughing the other day.

There's a member of my extended family who is in the early stages of dementia and has become quite irascible (there's a good word), prone to intemperate behaviour when he doesn't get his own way.

He had to visit the dentist a few days ago and the trouble started when his regular dentist wasn't there.
Anyway, he says to this bloke "I know what I'm here for, just give me an x-ray". Meanwhile the dentist had started on that fearful thing they do, tapping your teeth to elicit a pain response, rather like the Gestapo used to do.

He explained the reason he was doing this but my relation wasn't having any of it. "Just do the x-ray, that's what you need to do, I know what I'm talking about", or words to that effect.

"Look Mr So & So, I need to determine what the problem is. It may not be something an x-ray will reveal. It may not even be a dental problem."

"Listen" came the reply, "I've been going to dentists for over 70 years and I probably know more about dentistry than you'll ever know." This is the point in the story, as it was relayed to me, that laughter just got the better of me.

"So which Dentistry school did you go to Mr So & So?" No doubt he was trying to introduce a spot of humour to lighten the mood.
No success however.

"The problem is you don't know your job. I'll come back when the young lass is here. She knows what she's doing"

He didn't get his x-ray, he didn't get treatment, he still has his toothache (if that's what it is).

He had a similar encounter with his solicitor just a few days before this. In fact they are becoming all too regular a feature of his life now.

And here's me thinking there was no fun to look forward to in aging.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: The joys of aging
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 2:56pm

I was thinking the other day about another positive in aging.
The ol' bogarde is clocking up the years you know.

Now when I was young I was into sartorial splendour: hand made suits, even a hand made dinner suit; monogrammed shirts; expensive shoes.
I'd look at these old guys and think, I'll kill myself if I ever get down to that. I mean, shorts and the equivalent for the day of sneakers, with maybe black socks, any old kind of shirt, several days' grey stubble.

What do I care now? OK so I'm neat, and the stubble might be there, but now fashionable, sneakers & shorts & a t-shirt or lumberjack shirt depending. I couldn't tell you when I last wore a suit.
Not that I don't have a wardrobe full of good clothes you understand . . .but wtf!

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 3:33pm

A joy of retirement, which is a benefit of aging for most, is the time it releases for expanding your knowledge.
There is just so much information out there, in my case it comes mostly via podcast, in everything that interests me from economics & politics to history and the arts.

The worst thing for older people is to vegetate, although some people have vegetated their whole life.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2017 at 1:30pm

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 11:54am:
I know I've got a warped & bizarre sense of humour - it comes of growing up with Spike Milligan, Peter Sellars & Harry Secombe -  but it's too late for a cure now.

There's a member of my extended family who is in the early stages of dementia and has become quite irascible (there's a good word), prone to intemperate behaviour when he doesn't get his own way.

He had to visit the dentist a few days ago and the trouble started when his regular dentist wasn't there.
Anyway, he says to this bloke "I know what I'm here for, just give me an x-ray". Meanwhile the dentist had started on that fearful thing they do, tapping your teeth to elicit a pain response, rather like the Gestapo used to do.

He explained the reason he was doing this but my relation wasn't having any of it. "Just do the x-ray, that's what you need to do, I know what I'm talking about", or words to that effect.

"Look Mr So & So, I need to determine what the problem is. It may not be something an x-ray will reveal. It may not even be a dental problem."

"Listen" came the reply, "I've been going to dentists for over 70 years and I probably know more about dentistry than you'll ever know." This is the point in the story, as it was relayed to me, that laughter just got the better of me.

"So which Dentistry school did you go to Mr So & So?" No doubt he was trying to introduce a spot of humour to lighten the mood.
No success however.

"The problem is you don't know your job. I'll come back when the young lass is here. She knows what she's doing"

He didn't get his x-ray, he didn't get treatment, he still has his toothache (if that's what it is).

He had a similar encounter with his solicitor just a few days before this. In fact they are becoming all too regular a feature of his life now.

goodo

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2017 at 10:19am

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 11:54am:

No success however.

sadly boges    they get aggressive  and it can take more than  one person to hold on to them.....its not funny I can assure you..

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2017 at 2:34pm

I find there's not much in life that one can't get a laugh from and when I stop laughing I'll be dead.

PS What a way to go. I nearly, very nearly went in to make a booking.
I was walking past a funeral shop yesterday when my eye was drawn to the funeral vehicle parked in the drive.
It was an immaculately restored 1926 Rolls Royce hearse in shiny shiny black. How glorious it was. I thought: I represent a bygone age, this is for me. It could have just been out to Downton Abbey.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2017 at 3:45pm

I like watching the youngins rush ahead, then I catch up at my own leisurely constant pace.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 1:46pm

Sad to say, the star of my op passed over recently, but that's not the point of this post.

Another aged relo of the extended family variety is ina care home and a luxury one at that.

They call this luxury? They turn them out of their rooms after breakfast and they're not allowed back in their until after evening meal.

Stalag Luft XXXII.

I thought about this and figured out it must be the cheapest way to keep them under surveillance.
One dopey illegal migrant from Upper Swahililand could watch all of them in one room: cost - $5 an hour and we don't report you.
After all, there is duty of care. We don't want the bother of slashed wrists.
And can you imagine the outcry (and expense) of electronic surveillance in every room.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:02pm

I hit 35 and I looked in the mirror at this old guy. Three years on, I feel like I have just only reached 30 again. Sometimes I believe the age of your body is dependent on the outlook of your mind.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2017 at 9:21pm by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:49pm

I knew someone - a women who when she was old started driving on the wrong side of the road.
For some reason she thought she was back in the USA.
The police got the person who had the right of attorney over her to take the car keys & her car away.
She couldn't understand that her license had been revoked
& then reported that her car was stolen.

What can you do?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:26am

You know time is catching up with you when the main subject of conversation with your neighbours, rellies, and friends revolves around stiff joints, knee & hip replacements, heart valve replacements, arthritis, and all the rest of it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 9:06am

I can't wait till I retire and get it all over and done with.
Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:15pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:26am:
You know time is catching up with you when the main subject of conversation with your neighbours, rellies, and friends revolves around stiff joints, knee & hip replacements, heart valve replacements, arthritis, and all the rest of it.

Not for me Herb. I had my annual suite of blood tests reviewed yesterday and the doc was amazed at my all over better than average for age results.
"You're a remarkably fit person Mr . ., nothing to do here"

As always touch wood.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:17pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 9:06am:
I can't wait till I retire and get it all over and done with.
Tongue

Don't be anxious to get to the finish line, it arrives all too quickly.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:25pm

bogarde73 wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:15pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:26am:

Not for me Herb. I had my annual suite of blood tests reviewed yesterday and the doc was amazed at my all over better than average for age results.
"You're a remarkably fit person Mr . ., nothing to do here"

As always touch wood.

that is good.

My doc said my cholestrol i a bit low and I could eat more fatty food.

The lady friends in my life hated to hear that  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print