Send Topic Print
Anzac Day (Read 16226 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Anzac Day
Reply #75 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:41pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:39pm:
Gawd, we recycle the same old same old every year.  Can anyone bung up a link to Credlin's article in today's papers?  I can't get past a paywall.

NO.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:43pm

Gawd, we recycle the same old same old every year.  Can anyone bung up a link to Credlin's article in today's papers?  I can't get past a paywall.

what was the article called?

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #77 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:46pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:43pm:

"Best of us died on Anzac Day."

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #78 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:49pm

Marching in Cairns this year.  Nearly got stuck on Thursday Island - although that would have been an interesting place to commemorate Anzac Day!

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:53pm

this one?

Quote:
[quote]A few years ago I had the privilege to walk around the Gallipoli peninsula on the eve of Anzac Day. It’s a place that silences conversation as you try to comprehend the horror that awaited our young diggers as they slipped quietly from their rowing boats in the early dawn light.

There’s many extraordinary moments working for a prime minister but if I had to choose just one in over 16 years in politics, I always return to that day, a little later in the afternoon and just up from the beach, when I stood amongst the headstones in Shrapnel Valley.

By a jacaranda tree in bloom and with tears in my eyes, I read the inscriptions hewn on stone that marked the final resting place of teenagers and young men who believed there are things in life worth fighting for.

Tuesday is Anzac Day, the most solemn moment in our national calendar. It’s the day that we stop and recognise that everything we have as Australians we owe to them, and the successive generations that have fought under our flag. It’s the day we do our best to understand what service means, and reflect on the values that so many gave their lives to protect.

Or at least we should.

Other countries have created days for them to remember their veterans but this is a day that the Australian community has made for itself. From humble beginnings, Anzac Day grows each year.

I’m old enough to remember the controversy that surrounded the involvement of young relatives in Anzac Day marches some years ago. A few RSL leaders were against the move but a groundswell of returned servicemen felt that involving the young was their best hope of ensuring the sacrifice of their mates was remembered as their own numbers declined.

On Anzac Day, there’s always a lot of speeches, and history is recounted. Don’t get me wrong, the remembering is important lest we forget. But of equal importance, must be time spent in quiet contemplation about what each of us can do to preserve what our soldiers fought to protect, and the unique set of Australian values that set this country apart.

We’ve heard a lot about Australian values this week. While I’m still not sure how they’re going to ensure people don’t just tick the right boxes on the new test rather than admit what they really think about women and many other things, I applaud the government for its citizenship reforms.

After yet more months of leadership inertia and not knowing what exactly the Coalition stands for, this is a policy change worth making. To become an Australian citizen is a privilege, not a right. While I hope we’re always a land that welcomes immigrants, new arrivals must come with the understanding that there’s a set of values that underpin this nation and that they’re non-negotiable. Don’t like them? Don’t come.

Watching the Left rail against the phrase “Australian values”, I was reminded of Tony Abbott’s “Team Australia” line which the insider class were quick to mock too; they didn’t get it then and they still don’t get it today.

Ordinary people have generous hearts but sensible heads; they pay taxes to help support new arrivals but expect them to add to what we have here, rather than try and fundamentally change it.

That we even have a debate over what is meant by “Australian values” is a worry. Thinking back to that day in Shrapnel Valley, I wonder what those young men would make of us now?

Here we are having a puerile debate about what constitutes “Australian values” when none of them needed a definition to know what they were fighting for. My great-grandfather on the Western Front, and grandfather in the jungles of New Guinea; neither of them needed a definition either. They both understood, like so many who have followed them in other conflicts, that there are times we’re called to stand up for something bigger than ourselves: no debate needed.

But are we still like that today? I want to think we are but sometimes you’ve got to wonder.

Political correctness and identity politics have infiltrated almost every aspect of modern Australian life. We’re in danger of so overprescribing behaviour that we’ll end up a nation of “me” and not “us”; reliant on rules instead of instinctive values.

We shouldn’t need anti-bullying programs in schools, for instance, because it should be second nature to teachers and fellow classmates that everyone has to be treated with respect; we shouldn’t need anti-domestic violence campaigns because it should be as plain as the nose on your face that real men don’t hit women; and frankly, shouldn’t it be obvious to everyone — including new citizens — that you have to be committed to Australia without the need to take a test?

Look around your community today, how many of us are prepared to stand up for our values let alone fight for them? Is it fair to ask if we even embody them anymore? The mum with five kids to three different dads, all now in care because she’s back with another addict loser? The teenager who breaks into a pensioner’s home and beats him senseless for not much more than spare change? The dad who abuses his three-year-old and shares the sickening images with other perverted minds on the internet? The family who haven’t had a real job in three generations and expects welfare as a right?

Sometimes you’ve got to wonder if those men in Shrapnel Valley were the best of us and we’re no longer made of the same stuff anymore.

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #80 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:57pm

Vic wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:49pm:
Marching in Cairns this year.  Nearly got stuck on Thursday Island - although that would have been an interesting place to commemorate Anzac Day!

Good on you Vic.

Thank you.

We get up for the dawn service.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #81 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 7:11pm

That's it Mechanic, and as I do every Anzac Day, on behalf of my Dad and his Uncle, I spit on this absolute garbage.

Quote:
Here we are having a puerile debate about what constitutes “Australian values” when none of them needed a definition to know what they were fighting for. My great-grandfather on the Western Front, and grandfather in the jungles of New Guinea; neither of them needed a definition either. They both understood, like so many who have followed them in other conflicts, that there are times we’re called to stand up for something bigger than ourselves: no debate needed.

It is bullshit, romanticises, even worse, politicises naked practicality and little option, voyeuristically and artificially imputing some notion of nationalistic dutifull, sabre rattling grandeur which simply never occurred to any of them, just like it would have been the last thing on my mind (nay.....never would have even crossed my mind) had I been conscripted for Vietnam.

Far cough with that crap.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #82 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 7:53pm

cods wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:04pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 10:01pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 7:23pm:
cods wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 7:01pm:
bobby I dont think taking potshots at men who may or may not have service records is a nice thing to do..

if you have a row of medals good on you tell us about them'''but dont put down others...its tacky and not nice....and of course it draws a response...that also isnt nice.. but you are treading on hallowed ground...

may I suggest you SHUT UP!

its just a thought..

You're right Cods,
all service for Australia is valuable even
if you never received a medal.

See, listen to Cods, she is a lot smarter than you.

Remember this, just about everyone who serves has more medals than you.

I find it very sad   people are judged by the medals they receive....

pretty shallow bobby...you put emphasis
on decorations instead of valor....

just read in the d/tele about a young man who was badly injured in Afghanistan  all he wants is a fair go from the DVA   and all he is doing is fighting fighting bureaucracy .. I was so ashamed to read that 

he is probably in the hands of people who have never gone to war or even been in uniform....

bobby more goes on with our Vets  than just going to war.. I am afraid.. Angry

The Department of Veterans' Affairs has treated many returned servicemen shamefully.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:16pm

Lips SealedPresident Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:24pm:
utterly disgraceful behaviour by a few on here...

and as with every year.. those who have never served and never will..

so to try and make themselves feel better about their own failures they take pot shots  Roll Eyes at those who have put their lives on the line by serving in the Defence Forces...

piss weak...  Angry

And here's the other old blowhard, Colenel Kvnt. He voted in the recent Dutch elections.

Good on you for serving your country, old son. Big Mole polished missiles. What do they say in Dutch?

Mjiam mjiam, isn't it?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #84 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:19pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:16pm:

so to try and make themselves feel better about their own failures they take pot shots  Roll Eyes at those who have put their lives on the line by serving in the Defence Forces...

piss weak...  Angry

And here's the other old blowhard, Colenel Kvnt. He voted in the recent Dutch elections.

Good on you for serving your country, old son. Big Mole polished missiles. What do they say in Dutch?

Mjiam mjiam, isn't it?

Dear Karnal,
how many medals can you pin on the front of your jacket  ( or dress) ?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #85 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:20pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:19pm:

piss weak...  Angry

Mjiam mjiam, isn't it?

Dear Karnal,

Burka.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #86 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:21pm

Did Karnal get a campaign medal for her part in the Hyde Park riot?  The Medal of Allah?

IBI

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:22pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:46pm:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 6:43pm:

"Best of us died on Anzac Day."

Come on, son. We've still got Big Hole and the Mechanic.

We'll need someone to push their wheelchairs in this year's parade.

Any takers?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #88 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:23pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:21pm:
Did Karnal get a campaign medal for her part in the Hyde Park riot?  The Medal of Allah?

Karnal fought in jungles of Vietnam against communism
so that we could all be free.

Have some respect on Anzac day.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:24pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:19pm:

piss weak...  Angry

Mjiam mjiam, isn't it?

Dear Karnal,

It's what you've got down your pants that counts, boy.

Just ask Cods.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Send Topic Print