Send Topic Print
Anzac Day (Read 16113 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Anzac Day
Reply #30 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:41am

I only ever got one story out of my old man about Korea. He was a 1rar engineer. It was about how many bloated bodies floated down the river and piled up against their pontoon bridge, he had to clear them out before they wrecked the bridge. "Grab them by the arm, their arm came off, by the hair their scalp came off" etc etc. "We ended up having to gut them with bayonets to try and make them sink and the smell was..."

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:45am

Setanta wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:41am:
I only ever got one story out of my old man about Korea. He was a 1rar engineer. It was about how many bloated bodies floated down the river and piled up against their pontoon bridge, he had to clear them out before they wrecked the bridge. "Grab them by the arm, their arm came off, by the hair their scalp came off" etc etc. "We ended up having to gut them with bayonets to try and make them sink and the smell was..."

Jesus. How are you ok after living through that?

Why do we expect our Vets to be ok?

I suppose at least these days we recognise PTSD but we don't do enough by a long shot in helping people get through stuff like that.

And families suffer. There is a legacy.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:47am

Bobby. wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:29pm:
Karnal could get a job protecting ships from Somali pirates:

Yeah, he/she could play roger the cabin boy.

IP Logged

oh dear
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:48am

mothra wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:33am:
There's nothing like being in an actual war to turn you of the whole thing.

At least, i imagine that to be the case.

Indeed mothra my father was a very loving man but a harsh man the stories he told me when my grandfather returned were very disturbing  the saying war is hell is very true

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:58am

oh dear wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:48am:
mothra wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:33am:
There's nothing like being in an actual war to turn you of the whole thing.

At least, i imagine that to be the case.

Indeed mothra my father was a very loving man but a harsh man the stories he told me when my grandfather returned were very disturbing  the saying war is hell is very true

With the grace of the gods, my only understanding of war comes through books,  film and what little i have been told by people who have experienced it's effects.

It's enough to trigger tremendous empathy, but as i said, no real understanding.

As a pacifist, i shudder to think of how returning service-folk were treated by anti-war activists in the Vietnam era. Best of intentions gone absolutely balls up. Imagine coming home after that to be called a baby killer?

Not me. I have great respect for people who have lived through that. I may not agree with the reasons for the war but my issue is with blokes behind desks ... not the poor people that were in the thick of it.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 7:56am

Setanta wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:41am:

terrible memories to have..god awful.....my memories are after the War walking through bombsites to get to school..as you can guess London had many bombsites...my mum was in a building that was hit by a doodlebug...lucky for her she was on the other side from where it landed.......I remember sitting in shelters...very quite waiting for the sirens   funny what remains with you..

your poor dad.. would have been so traumatised...

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #36 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 10:19am

How about we stop living in fear and hatred and start celebrating the sacrifice of the young men and women that formed the Anzacs, so that we may enjoy this life of freedom today.... Cool

http://www.kythera-family.net/download/Greek-Australian_Alliance_115YearsBooklet...

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 10:51am

Ajax wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 10:19am:
How about we stop living in fear and hatred and start celebrating the sacrifice of the young men and women that formed the Anzacs, so that we may enjoy this life of freedom today.... Cool

http://i68.tinypic.com/14m55pu.jpg

http://www.kythera-family.net/download/Greek-Australian_Alliance_115YearsBooklet...

I think the majority of aussie do just that..

one or two display their bad manners in public   but most are full of pride...and its great to see the returned soldiers feted....

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #38 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:09pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:38pm:
You reminded me to make Anzac biscuits to take with me to Naracoorte on tuesday!

You live down that way?  Moved up from the Bega Valley last year.... similar climate I think... windy...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:13pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:14pm:
But Karnal - I was really looking for that knock out story of your brave war deeds e.g.

You got out of the trench & charged towards the enemy machine gun nest.
All the bullets missed you & you lobbed a grenade into the machine gun nest & took out the enemy gunner.
You then proceeded to bayonet the remaining enemies
in had to hand brutal combat.
You then received a hero's war medal.

Something like that?

Nah - that was 'Greasy' Jones.... 1RAR....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:17pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:40pm:
Gordon wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:31pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:29pm:
Karnal could get a job protecting ships from Somali pirates:

And their rape culture?

I'd enjoy that job.   Grin

The pirates think they're gunna have a good day robbing a ship & that happens.  Grin

Nice belt of .50 cal on the wing bridge never hurt nobody....  I notice he was firing wide - at first... pity nobody had a grenade at the moment the boat drew alongside...  oops.. dearie me - did I drop that?  Sorry 'bout that.... send an insurance quote.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #41 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:37pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:17pm:
Nice belt of .50 cal on the wing bridge never hurt nobody....  I notice he was firing wide - at first... pity nobody had a grenade at the moment the boat drew alongside...  oops.. dearie me - did I drop that?  Sorry 'bout that.... send an insurance quote.

Apparently they fired warning shots first but the pirates shot back so
they killed them.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:40pm

less black idiots to come here under refugee program Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #43 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:50pm

oh dear wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:31am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:53pm:
But Karnal - I was really looking for that knock out story of your brave war deeds e.g.

All the bullets missed you & you lobbed a grenade into the machine gun nest & took out the enemy gunner.

Something like that?

Pipe down, girlie. War's sh1t. You get out alive - if you can. Some good boys didn't.

So when I sit down and have a beer in ANZAC Day, I'll remember that.

I've spent most of my life forgetting the rest.

Thats interesting Karnal my grandfathers both served in ww2 one in PNG the other in Tobruk neither returned wanting to to talk about it

Interesting how karnal loves to talk about killing and his heroic deeds, and he definitely has booby on 'the peg'.

https://www.anzmi.net/

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #44 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:52pm

BigOl64 wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:50pm:
oh dear wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:31am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:53pm:

Something like that?

Pipe down, girlie. War's sh1t. You get out alive - if you can. Some good boys didn't.

So when I sit down and have a beer in ANZAC Day, I'll remember that.

I've spent most of my life forgetting the rest.

Thats interesting Karnal my grandfathers both served in ww2 one in PNG the other in Tobruk neither returned wanting to to talk about it

Interesting how karnal loves to talk about killing and his heroic deeds, and he definitely has booby on 'the peg'.

https://www.anzmi.net/

BigOl,
Karnal fought in the jungles of Vietnam -
what's your claim to fame?
How many medals can you wear on ANZAC day?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Send Topic Print