Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Economic Benefits Of Penalty Rate Cuts Not Tested (Read 4847 times)
crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Economic Benefits Of Penalty Rate Cuts Not Tested
Reply #45 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:00pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:39pm:
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/a866861f12e106e0ca256a38002791fa/e95a009...

Quote:
MARKET SECTOR

On an hours worked basis, market sector multifactor productivity (MFP) grew 0.9% in 2015-16. This year marked the fifth consecutive year of un-interrupted MFP growth, and was the result of 2.4% increase in gross value added and a 1.5% increase in combined labour and capital inputs. On the inputs side, capital services growth was stronger (+2.3%) than hours worked (+0.9%), while labour productivity (LP) recorded 1.5% growth for the year.

On a quality adjusted hours worked basis, labour input growth was 1.4%, a result 0.5% higher than labour inputs on hours worked basis. Consequently, quality adjusted MFP grew 0.6% and labour productivity was up 1.0% for 2015-16. The weaker growth in quality adjusted labour productivity reflects a positive contribution from changes to labour composition, due to educational attainment and work experience.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/MF/5260.0.55.002

What's your point ?

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:09pm

crocodile wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:16am:
Bam wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:10am:
crocodile wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 2:32pm:
Would have been a win-win for everyone if instead the penalty rates were kept and the corporate tax rate lowered.

The doctrine of neoliberalism is dying. One day you'll understand this.

Companies MUST pay their share of tax because they are voracious consumers of infrastructure and services that must be funded by taxpayers. 3% of gross turnover is not a high rate of tax. If anything, company taxes need to be increased, not lowered. The way we increase company taxes is to start scrapping the huge numbers of corporate tax loopholes that are not needed. Company tax breaks that were needed when company tax rates were 49% are simply not justifiable now. We may also need to increase the tax on profits, or introduce new efficient taxes on business so more inefficient taxes like payroll tax can be scrapped.

What we need to do instead of lowering business taxes is invest money in lowering business costs. It's not government taxes that are the biggest drain on corporate expenses, but private taxes from privatisation. Privatisation has failed because it has increased costs to many businesses more than reductions in company taxes have lowered them, and this is a drag on the economy. Tolls from toll roads, soaring energy prices and massive increases to fixed service charges are some examples of privatised taxes on business that can be lowered. Renationalising would allow the scrapping of tolls and fixed charges and would remove the privatised constraints on energy supply, among other benefits. If business taxes were increased to 50% of profits (equivalently, 5% of turnover on average) and the funds raised were used to renationalise all of these expensive privatised services, many businesses would actually be better off.

It has precisely zero to do with neoliberalism.

Rubbish. One of the core tenets of the neoliberal doctrine is a manic determination to lower business taxes. That is also a common theme in many of your posts - lower company taxes, lower company taxes, blah blah blah. You consistently miss the big picture: businesses require government-funded services like everyone else and should be expected to contribute to funding them.

It is nothing more than the recognition of who bears the burden of the taxes. One day you'll understand this.

You still keep banging on about turnover. Taxes are paid on profit. One day you'll work this one too.

That is incorrect. Business taxes are not always paid out of profit. Payroll tax is not paid on profit. Land taxes are not paid on profit. There are other business taxes that are also not paid on profit, in fact, the majority of taxes on business have nothing to do with profit when levied.

Yes, I have advocated a turnover tax on businesses. So what? The idea behind that tax proposal is as a means to reduce the tax burden on businesses, not increase it, by allowing businesses to bank the savings of lower compliance costs while the governments do not lose revenue overall.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #47 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:40pm

crocodile wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:22am:
Dnarever wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 8:44am:
1) So you agree it has nothing to do with the Topic.

No, I don't agree.

2) How does the location of the money impact your Labour Productivity ? I would think that a corporation having money locally or O/S - paying tax or not paying tax would have no impact on production per unit per hour ?

If one wishes to increase production per labour input it must involve investment of their own capital.

In fact more likely the opposite the company hiding profits and paying no tax would have more available funds to drive production with technology. If anything he is right and you are not though it still has no impact on the topic either way. 

If anything, you are both dead wrong. Driving production with technology requires investment within and a higher skill set from the employees.

And this still has nothing to do with not knowing the impact of removing penalty rates.

Quote:
Driving production with technology requires investment

And it is still no difference if the funds for that investment had tax paid on it or not or if it had been held on the Cayman Islands or not. 

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 11:35pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:40pm:

No, I don't agree.

2) How does the location of the money impact your Labour Productivity ? I would think that a corporation having money locally or O/S - paying tax or not paying tax would have no impact on production per unit per hour ?

If one wishes to increase production per labour input it must involve investment of their own capital.

In fact more likely the opposite the company hiding profits and paying no tax would have more available funds to drive production with technology. If anything he is right and you are not though it still has no impact on the topic either way. 

If anything, you are both dead wrong. Driving production with technology requires investment within and a higher skill set from the employees.

And this still has nothing to do with not knowing the impact of removing penalty rates.

You are entitled to that opinion. I just don't happen to agree with you

Quote:

And it is still no difference if the funds for that investment had tax paid on it or not or if it had been held on the Cayman Islands or not. 

If it's in the Caymans, it hasn't been reinvested.........

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 12:00am

Bam wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:09pm:
Bam wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:10am:
crocodile wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 2:32pm:
Would have been a win-win for everyone if instead the penalty rates were kept and the corporate tax rate lowered.

The doctrine of neoliberalism is dying. One day you'll understand this.

Companies MUST pay their share of tax because they are voracious consumers of infrastructure and services that must be funded by taxpayers. 3% of gross turnover is not a high rate of tax. If anything, company taxes need to be increased, not lowered. The way we increase company taxes is to start scrapping the huge numbers of corporate tax loopholes that are not needed. Company tax breaks that were needed when company tax rates were 49% are simply not justifiable now. We may also need to increase the tax on profits, or introduce new efficient taxes on business so more inefficient taxes like payroll tax can be scrapped.

What we need to do instead of lowering business taxes is invest money in lowering business costs. It's not government taxes that are the biggest drain on corporate expenses, but private taxes from privatisation. Privatisation has failed because it has increased costs to many businesses more than reductions in company taxes have lowered them, and this is a drag on the economy. Tolls from toll roads, soaring energy prices and massive increases to fixed service charges are some examples of privatised taxes on business that can be lowered. Renationalising would allow the scrapping of tolls and fixed charges and would remove the privatised constraints on energy supply, among other benefits. If business taxes were increased to 50% of profits (equivalently, 5% of turnover on average) and the funds raised were used to renationalise all of these expensive privatised services, many businesses would actually be better off.

It has precisely zero to do with neoliberalism.

Rubbish. One of the core tenets of the neoliberal doctrine is a manic determination to lower business taxes. That is also a common theme in many of your posts - lower company taxes, lower company taxes, blah blah blah. You consistently miss the big picture: businesses require government-funded services like everyone else and should be expected to contribute to funding them.

You are confused. Whether it is part of neoliberalism thinking is rather irrelevant as it is not my motivation for advocating a lowering of corporate tax. It is indeed yourself that doesn't see the big picture. As stated many times already, the important consideration is not who has the legal obligation to pay a certain tax but who bears the burden of the tax. Overwhelmingly it has been shown that the burden of corporate tax falls more heavily on the workers than it does on the owners of the capital. I've even cited quite a few references to this. Hardly a doctrinaire neoliberal motivation.

It is nothing more than the recognition of who bears the burden of the taxes. One day you'll understand this.

You still keep banging on about turnover. Taxes are paid on profit. One day you'll work this one too.

That is incorrect. Business taxes are not always paid out of profit. Payroll tax is not paid on profit. Land taxes are not paid on profit. There are other business taxes that are also not paid on profit, in fact, the majority of taxes on business have nothing to do with profit when levied.

To the best of my knowledge I have commented only on corporate taxation. I've never even mentioned land or payroll taxes. Payroll taxes should go anyway. Land taxes, I have no great objection to but these are a different matter.

Yes, I have advocated a turnover tax on businesses. So what? The idea behind that tax proposal is as a means to reduce the tax burden on businesses, not increase it, by allowing businesses to bank the savings of lower compliance costs while the governments do not lose revenue overall.

They're called cascading taxes. A small percentage is levied at each point in the production chain from primary producer to the consumer. For large firms like Woolies or Wesfarmers the solution is a rather simple one.  Vertically integrate backwards along the chain either buying up the suppliers or creating your own production units. This way, the tax is levied only once. Smaller entities that cannot integrate in this way end up paying the tax on goods that have already been taxed numerous times, can't compete and are driven out of business. Left standing are just a handful of large corporations paying the tax only once and revenue collapses.

This is precisely what happened throughout Europe a century ago and is the reason for the implementation of VAT.

Not one of your best and brightest ideas.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #50 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:02am

Perhaps they should pay income tax on their gross, same as everyone else.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:41am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:02am:

Makes no difference. Complicates the returns for no gain.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:03pm

crocodile wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:41am:

You mean corporations with a gross income over a couple of hundred grand already pay 40% or whatever tax on GROSS earnings, same as everyone else pays?  They'd die if they did.

Jo Bloggsich doesn't get a deduction for running the car to the station and then train fare to go to work.... Bloggs Enterprises does...

It's already a sweet ride in business.. no need to make it any sweeter.

I still prefer the graduated tax scale as per the US idea, with the lowest revenue generation paying less and the highest more, and a tax moratorium, subject to full review, for the first two years of operation of a genuine new business - not just a 're-badged' one.  Subsidiaries of corporations do not need a tax break for those first two years, but I'm open to discussion.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:22pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:03pm:

You mean corporations with a gross income over a couple of hundred grand already pay 40% or whatever tax on GROSS earnings, same as everyone else pays?  They'd die if they did.

Jo Bloggsich doesn't get a deduction for running the car to the station and then train fare to go to work.... Bloggs Enterprises does...

I still prefer the graduated tax scale as per the US idea, with the lowest revenue generation paying less and the highest more, and a tax moratorium, subject to full review, for the first two years of operation of a genuine new business - not just a 're-badged' one.  Subsidiaries of corporations do not need a tax break for those first two years, but I'm open to discussion.

Bloggs Enterprises doesn't drive a car nor catch the train.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #54 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 4:27pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:03pm:

Why not have high minimum wages and reduce company tax to 0%?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #55 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 8:57pm

crocodile wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 11:35pm:

No, I don't agree.

Quote:

You seem to have the opinion that all money invested must be instantaneous and does not go through accounts or is invested from savings etc.

I can give an example from a company I was with, it was decided to spend a few hundred million on broadcast communications infrastructure in partnership with several transmission companies making up the rest. The first step was to minimise spending and save money in investments for about 3 years in order to fund the venture. This money could have been kept anywhere for that period of time. It is not uncommon for a company to realise capital before spending it in an often delayed manner. Note they do not keep that few billion Dollars in the OIC's wallet.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 10:06pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 8:57pm:
crocodile wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 11:35pm:

No, I don't agree.

Quote:

You seem to have the opinion that all money invested must be instantaneous and does not go through accounts or is invested from savings etc.

I can give an example from a company I was with, it was decided to spend a few hundred million on broadcast communications infrastructure in partnership with several transmission companies making up the rest. The first step was to minimise spending and save money in investments for about 3 years in order to fund the venture. This money could have been kept anywhere for that period of time. It is not uncommon for a company to realise capital before spending it in an often delayed manner. Note they do not keep that few billion Dollars in the OIC's wallet.

I never said otherwise. You don't quite get my point which was in response to Grapples' statement:

Quote:
There's nothing to prevent companies/corporations offshoring the profits even when labour productivity is up, and it is the end result that counts.

It is not quite correct. No investment, no labour productivity growth.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:01pm

Does any solid economy in balance need productivity growth at the cost of jobs? 

You can't take these things in isolation.

― John Adams

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:14pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 24th, 2017 at 11:01pm:
Does any solid economy in balance need productivity growth at the cost of jobs? 

You can't take these things in isolation.

Why is it necessary that productivity growth cost jobs ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print