Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can private charity be as effective as welfare? (Read 352 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Can private charity be as effective as welfare?
Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:20pm

If we abolished welfare tomorrow, would private charities be able fill in the gap of welfare?

If so, why? If not, why?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Can private charity be as effective as welfare?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:54pm

It ALL started as private charity - schools, hospitals, aged care, lunatic asylums, the lot.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:57pm

Frank wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:54pm:
It ALL started as private charity - schools, hospitals, aged care, lunatic asylums, the lot.

That's my point.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:00pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:20pm:
If we abolished welfare tomorrow, would private charities be able fill in the gap of welfare?

If so, why? If not, why?

My good mate is the GM of a large charity in far North Queensland and, amongst other things, over sees the operation of around 20 large "op shops" and a number of "super op shops".  These take donations of furniture, clothing, electrical items and a host of other things and spin it into money.  Apart from the money to run the organisation, the majority of the remainder goes to providing counselling services and the like.  There is very little left in the pot should they wish to give out cash or provide goods and groceries etc.   there are very few paid staff with most of the organisation run and sustained by volunteers.

I would imagine the others are much the same so actual cash for welfare payments is very scarce

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:10pm

Vic wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:00pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:20pm:

If so, why? If not, why?

My good mate is the GM of a large charity in far North Queensland and, amongst other things, over sees the operation of around 20 large "op shops" and a number of "super op shops".  These take donations of furniture, clothing, electrical items and a host of other things and spin it into money.  Apart from the money to run the organisation, the majority of the remainder goes to providing counselling services and the like.  There is very little left in the pot should they wish to give out cash or provide goods and groceries etc.   there are very few paid staff with most of the organisation run and sustained by volunteers.

I would imagine the others are much the same so actual cash for welfare payments is very scarce

Do you think that's because people are donating less? There's an expectation that people can apply for welfare and get the support the need; but if that support doesn't exist, then more people will donate money, particularly if they are paying less tax.

It's either that people pay more tax to allow the government to provide welfare, or they pay less tax and control their own donations.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:43pm

The government makes it far more stable and equitable.

They also give money to unpopular but needy causes (black people, old syphilitic whores, etc).

They also do not need an advertising budget, but are still fairly creative in wasting the money.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:12pm

No - Because.

Charity in Australia would not provide enough to buy the unemployed a postage stamp each.

It could not support a $3 pension either.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print