Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Shark attacks
Reply #45 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:50pm

Johnnie wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:17pm:
Gordon wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 5:58pm:
Johnnie wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 5:54pm:
It's interesting that the pointer is the apex predator of the oceans yet killer whales have their measure, last year in front of a boat load of tourists off Pt Lincoln (on you tube somewhere) two killer whales attacked and killed a huge great white, they compete for the same food, yet their is not one recorded case (in the wild) of a killer whale attacking a human, they are our friends and we could train them to patrol our beaches.

Check this out.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/06/140613-great-white-shark-canniba...

It looks like the killer whales are already on the job.

Seeing a killer whale in the wild is so on my bucket list.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:51pm

Johnnie wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:31pm:
The ocean is our playground and predators should be kept in check.
Hundreds of thousands of sharks are caught and have their fins sliced off and then thrown back alive to die slowly, yet we cant cull a few monsters from our shores.

Incorrect.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #47 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:53pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:51pm:
Hundreds of thousands of sharks are caught and have their fins sliced off and then thrown back alive to die slowly, yet we cant cull a few monsters from our shores.

Incorrect.

Fish before people.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:56pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:53pm:

Incorrect.

Fish before people.

There's absolutely no need to make that choice.

You're acting like an ignorant, hysterical imbecile.

Are you an ignorant, hysterical imbecile?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #49 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:59pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:56pm:

Incorrect.

Fish before people.

I'm curious.

People before fish.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:00pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:59pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:56pm:

Incorrect.

Fish before people.

I'm curious.

People before fish.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #51 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:05pm

People get hysterical about a few sharks  being culled but are silent about this.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:08pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:05pm:
People get hysterical about a few sharks  being culled but are silent about this.

No they aren't.

Why lie?

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #53 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:09pm

Why get all upset with an occasional shark attack?

More people die from mosquitos and the deseases they carry in the world than from sharks.

We should be more worried about a CULT that has killed far far more people than any number of sharks
And you cant even stay out of tge water, the CULT follows you and kills you.

CULL THE CULT, CULL THE CULT,  CULL THE CULT, CULL THE CULT

IT HAS A NICE RING TO IT

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

fezz

Where's my red hat?

Reply #54 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:34pm

Johnnie wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
fezz wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 10:35pm:
Johnnie wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 8:50pm:
fezz wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 8:18pm:
Why is there no talk of putting GWS back on the catch list ... say with a system like with snapper in some areas. Take sharks between a certain size, eg 10' to 14'

I've been surfing for 35yrs, mostly in some of the most shark infested waters in Australia, and the world for that matter. Lost 4 good mates to GW attacks and one mate has survived an attack ... had a few close calls myself ... I think culling is a hoax myself, especially now we have a healthy, and building population of GWS.

Big sharks have to much mercury so fishermen don't want them, it has to be a cull, again I say we cant take all other fish and protect the pointer, how many surfers have to be eaten before the fisheries department do something.

You do know what fisherman want to use sharks this size for don't you? And do you realise how many are already caught by long liners as bycatch but can't be legally used, even though they do get used out in the open ocean away from prying eyes?  Give you a tip, swordfish love a bit of GW.

Culling has never worked and will never work with an ocean species in the big, wide ocean ... it might work for roos and goats and buffalo etc on a two dimensional plane but not in a three dimensional habitat that is the ocean.

Culling can be done easy with drum lines, they work a treat, or by luring them in like they do in Pt Lincoln for the tourists and then put a hole in their heads, a 44 would do the trick.
How do you fillet and store a 15ft shark to use as bait for sword fish Fez?

First off jeez, have you seen the results of WA's drum line cull from a couple of years back, out of 147 sharks caught, not one shark was a GW even though they were in "plague" numbers. Tigers and Bronzies were at the top of the list.
The GW that attacked my mate Ben Gerring was caught on a drum line, but that line was basically dropped on its head, although no conformation at all was given as to that GW was THE shark.

As for cutting up a large shark on a long line boat for bait, it's already being done ... the boats hitting swordfish are not exactly weekenders doing a run for an afternoon.

Powerheads I agree do a wonderfull job of blowing big holes in anything they come into contact with.

You made a comment about the Orcas attacking a GW off the Neptunes, now that really caused a major stir, no GWS were seen for over three months ... seems the best repellent for GWS is the predatory behaviour of Orcas. I surfed with a pod of about 20 Orcas off the western end of Rottnest, not once did I feel threatened ... let the body guard training begin.

I would rather be poor and produce nothing than be an arsehole and conquer the world

IP Logged

fezz

Where's my red hat?

Reply #55 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:45pm

I see a lot of cull advocates, here and alsewhere let fear dominate rationale ... get educated first before making knee jerk  calls either way.
There is plenty of info out now about GWS, on breeding grounds, on feeding grounds in conjunction with comprehensive tracking information. It's obvious to me the media is leading the way in fear mongering and demonising all sharks, getting as much mileage out of any shark interaction ... and the culling brigade fall for it hook, line and sinker.

If anyone here wants to be taken seriously, google is your friend ... if you're truly interested in becomig educated, you don't need me to hold your hand.

I would rather be poor and produce nothing than be an arsehole and conquer the world

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 1:46pm

fezz wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:34pm:
Johnnie wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
fezz wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 10:35pm:
Johnnie wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 8:50pm:
fezz wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 8:18pm:
Why is there no talk of putting GWS back on the catch list ... say with a system like with snapper in some areas. Take sharks between a certain size, eg 10' to 14'

I've been surfing for 35yrs, mostly in some of the most shark infested waters in Australia, and the world for that matter. Lost 4 good mates to GW attacks and one mate has survived an attack ... had a few close calls myself ... I think culling is a hoax myself, especially now we have a healthy, and building population of GWS.

Big sharks have to much mercury so fishermen don't want them, it has to be a cull, again I say we cant take all other fish and protect the pointer, how many surfers have to be eaten before the fisheries department do something.

You do know what fisherman want to use sharks this size for don't you? And do you realise how many are already caught by long liners as bycatch but can't be legally used, even though they do get used out in the open ocean away from prying eyes?  Give you a tip, swordfish love a bit of GW.

Culling has never worked and will never work with an ocean species in the big, wide ocean ... it might work for roos and goats and buffalo etc on a two dimensional plane but not in a three dimensional habitat that is the ocean.

Culling can be done easy with drum lines, they work a treat, or by luring them in like they do in Pt Lincoln for the tourists and then put a hole in their heads, a 44 would do the trick.
How do you fillet and store a 15ft shark to use as bait for sword fish Fez?

First off jeez, have you seen the results of WA's drum line cull from a couple of years back, out of 147 sharks caught, not one shark was a GW even though they were in "plague" numbers. Tigers and Bronzies were at the top of the list.
The GW that attacked my mate Ben Gerring was caught on a drum line, but that line was basically dropped on its head, although no conformation at all was given as to that GW was THE shark.

As for cutting up a large shark on a long line boat for bait, it's already being done ... the boats hitting swordfish are not exactly weekenders doing a run for an afternoon.

Powerheads I agree do a wonderfull job of blowing big holes in anything they come into contact with.

You made a comment about the Orcas attacking a GW off the Neptunes, now that really caused a major stir, no GWS were seen for over three months ... seems the best repellent for GWS is the predatory behaviour of Orcas. I surfed with a pod of about 20 Orcas off the western end of Rottnest, not once did I feel threatened ... let the body guard training begin.

It would be a brave operator carving up a pointer away from prying eyes, the fisheries department have very fast boats and airplanes, if caught you would loose all marine licenses, your money and possibly freedom.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #57 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 2:42pm

1493071640963.jpeg (46 KB | 23 )
1493071640963.jpeg

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4