Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Your Favourite Superstition (Read 14310 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Your Favourite Superstition
Reply #90 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:45am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 9:04am:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:28am:
Oz Politic, another thread degenerates into puerile blather.

My apologies.

My favourite superstition is that there might be a 'god' after all.

A Creator - but not a moral one with a long white beard and a hard-on for Lost Puppies, Lambs to the Slaughter, and children in cancer wards.

Just a very clever designer/constructor.

People parrot the word 'Evolution' like others quote 'E=MC˛', but with even the most cursory look at nature's stunning cleverness of design there's simply no way that 'Natural Selection' and 'The Survival of the Fittest' accounts for so much that we can observe in the natural world around us.

The one disappointment of course is that this 'god' has to be an idiot-savant' with less moral credentials than those strangers who helped those unfortunate victims on the Westminster Bridge the other day.

You just have no idea of geological time or the strength of the drives to eat and procreate.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #91 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:53am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 9:53am:
Gordon wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 9:33am:
There is only one true deity,  Bitumena, the god of parking.
I ask my daughter to pray to her when we drive to the beach on Sunday morning.

We used to drive to Palm Beach and park there with no fees to pay. It pissed the hell out of the home owners whose luxury dwellings overlooked the beach.

Stiff cheddar.

Bondi beach is still one of the most over-rated beaches in the entire world, and that's because when I last visited, the esplanade fronting the beach had hardly anything there by way of cafes, restaurants, etc. Manly beach is in total contrast, with a bustling shopping area there with plenty of ice-cream parlours, etc.

Exactly what I love about Bondi, no tacky commercial right on the beach front.

The really good thing about Bondi, and this may not be on your list is the NE/SW direction the beach faces. When the NE winds blow in the afternoon the blue bottles go straight past us. We cop them when the wind is south and due east, but NE is the prevailing summer wind when blue bottles are out and Manly cops them twice as much as we do.

All that is probably no interest to you tho, as you're happy to roll up you trousers and wade in the sea with a knotted hanky on your head eating softserve Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #92 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:59am

That's one point of view
One way of looking at it
Or just having fun

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #93 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 11:27am

Yes

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #94 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 1:38pm

If the wind changes direction when you cross your eyes, you will stay that way.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #95 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 3:09pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:59am:

That's one point of view
One way of looking at it
Or just having fun

That's the only view an adult could take of it.  That sort of fun kids gave up when they left Junior High School.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #96 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 3:23pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:53am:
Exactly what I love about Bondi, no tacky commercial right on the beach front.

Tacky tawdriness is very much part of the soul and fun of tourism, and having a good day at the beach with your family. You Anglo-Australians have never had a clue about how your cities should look from the streets.

Four years in Honk Kong and two years in Shanghai way back in the early 50's and before - made the UK and then Australia look like necropolises where I felt I had to whisper so as not to disturb the Walking Dead.

You People don't have a goddamned clue.

You People. 

My niece had a holiday in Tokyo last year .... whoooaaa-hoooo !! Flashing neon lights, hustle and bustle, activity and music, all the restaurants and cafes wide open and doing a roaring trade, clubs and bars, and the streets filled with people enjoying themselves. Think Times Square.

Sydney?

Melbourne?

Dear O dear O dear ... call an ambulance, someone ..

You Anglo-Australians should be ashamed of yourselves.

Anglo-Australians.

I'm tired of apologising to Chinese and Japanese tourists about the inactivity after dark in our cities.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2017 at 3:32pm by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #97 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 4:28pm

issuevoter wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 1:38pm:
If the wind changes direction when you cross your eyes, you will stay that way.

It was "if you pull a face and the wind changes" when I was a kid.  Grin

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #98 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 5:22pm

If you cross your fingers behind your back, it exonerates you of any lie you are telling at that time.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #99 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 7:34pm

My apologies.

A Creator - but not a moral one with a long white beard and a hard-on for Lost Puppies, Lambs to the Slaughter, and children in cancer wards.

People parrot the word 'Evolution' like others quote 'E=MC˛', but with even the most cursory look at nature's stunning cleverness of design there's simply no way that 'Natural Selection' and 'The Survival of the Fittest' accounts for so much that we can observe in the natural world around us.

The one disappointment of course is that this 'god' has to be an idiot-savant' with less moral credentials than those strangers who helped those unfortunate victims on the Westminster Bridge the other day.

OH that is so well said Herbie, and it touches on so many bases.  Smiley

All of our theories fail to explain the cause of life, in all it's form. How is it possible that, say, a leaf is alive and glowing with life, and then, it dies as it falls from the tree. What essence has gone.?

And so I'll get back on topic.... Can't remember where I heard this and it's really, I think, one for the ladies.

So it seems that an old saw is,   'If you cannot keep a healthy patch of Parsley growing you will not bear children.'

live every day

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 7:45pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:30pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:31am:
Johnnie wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:30am:
Hypnotism, can that be construed as superstition. how can someone wave a fob watch in front of your face and turn you into a chicken, it has always puzzled me.

Two attempts to hypnotise me have failed completely.
Once in a psychology experiment at uni and later in an attempt to stop smoking.
Why are some people immune to hypnosis and others can be put under in a couple of seconds?

I have no superstitions I am aware of.

Hypnotism is a technique we use to alter our psychological state of mind. Most people actually do a form of self-hypnosis on themselves, called refocusing attention -- actually, I just made that name up. When we go to sleep at night, we fall into a type of hypnotic trance where we let our subconscious take over our conscious mind.

There is more to the hypnotism process. I know how it is done and have done it to others. It does not include having a watch waved in front of you. That is nonsense designed to fool you away from knowing how it really is done.

The reason why it is difficult to hypnotise some, whilst others are easy is due to how your brain functions. Some people take drugs or are heavily into the alcohol and that makes it difficult to make them hypnotised. Others have taken anti-psychotic drugs, and that leads to easier hypnotism. Though anti-psychotic drugs can also lift the hypnotism against the subject. Whereas, some people have a pychology that makes them near impossible to hypnotise. I have heard of sociopaths that take near forever (if at all) to hypnotise.

So being a hypnotist gives you special powers, I know its not esp or mental telepathy  and alike because I don't believe in such things, can anyone become a hypnotist, I would like to be one, I could rob people or worse, or is it a power. BTW the only superstition I strictly adhere to is touching wood.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #101 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:07pm

Johnnie wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:30am:
Hypnotism, can that be construed as superstition. how can someone wave a fob watch in front of your face and turn you into a chicken, it has always puzzled me.

No. Hypnotism has nothing to do with superstition.

Some people cannot be hypnotised. It seems much more a physical than a spiritual act, even though the brain is directly engaged by intangible means.

live every day

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #102 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:39pm

Emma wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 7:34pm:

My apologies.

OH that is so well said Herbie, and it touches on so many bases.  Smiley

All of our theories fail to explain the cause of life, in all it's form. How is it possible that, say, a leaf is alive and glowing with life, and then, it dies as it falls from the tree. What essence has gone.?

And so I'll get back on topic.... Can't remember where I heard this and it's really, I think, one for the ladies.

So it seems that an old saw is,   'If you cannot keep a healthy patch of Parsley growing you will not bear children.'

Gad Zooks! Emma! I did not know that one. This forum has some purpose after all! Parsley, of course, I should have known it.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #103 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:57pm

issuevoter wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:39pm:
 'If you cannot keep a healthy patch of Parsley growing you will not bear children.'

Gad Zooks! Emma! I did not know that one. This forum has some purpose after all! Parsley, of course, I should have known it.

You've been had.

'Parsley' is a metaphor for pubic hair.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #104 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 9:05pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:57pm:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:39pm:
 'If you cannot keep a healthy patch of Parsley growing you will not bear children.'

You've been had.

'Parsley' is a metaphor for pubic hair.

What's bechmel sauce a metaphor for? 

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print