Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Your Favourite Superstition (Read 14325 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Your Favourite Superstition
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 7:53pm

When you followed her advice, did your pores open Effendi?  Did your ruddy complexion become creamy?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 9:05pm

If salt was spilled, my grandmother would throw some over her left shoulder, to give the Devil his due.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 11:42pm

I always liked  “Step on a crack and break your mother's back”, I used to nudge my wife towards them, if she got one I would say the rhyme.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:16am

freediver wrote on Apr 4th, 2017 at 7:46pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 4th, 2017 at 7:17pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 4th, 2017 at 7:10pm:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 4th, 2017 at 9:54am:
Apart from religion, what is your favourite appeal to, or fear of the supernatural?

Here is mine. Two halves of an egg shell should never be left intact. Witches can turn them into their boats to go out on the ocean and drown poor fishermen.

That is EXCELLENT !!

10/10

Issuevoter - I have a couple from my youth.
Yours is spectacular and mine pales in comparison.

They are lame.

'Wash your face in cold rain water in the morning to get rid of pimples. You have to break the ice.'

Yes, one Mom used to say

A German lady with perfect complexion (most of them do) once told me that cold water is good for the skin because it opens up the pores. She said to rinse off with cold water after a hot shower.

I don't think that fits.. it isn't a superstition it is a beauty myth. My Mum used to do that.. claimed it tightened the skin. Well, this is true it worked and she had lovely skin till the day she died. 
BUT Unfortunately, she also had multiple broken veins in her cheeks and so , altho her skin was soft and supple, it was also marred by rosacea.
NOT the result she had expected, but had to live with.

I am not religious at all, and not particularly superstitious either.
I do say 'touch wood' and then tap my head, if there is no wood handy tho. Smiley Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:30am

Hypnotism, can that be construed as superstition. how can someone wave a fob watch in front of your face and turn you into a chicken, it has always puzzled me.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 4:00am

During my bowling days, whenever my bowls did not get a strike, I had the tendency to cradle my bowling arm with my opposite hand (probably to keep it warm) whilst using the hand drier before the spare delivery. If I did not, it would usually result in me not getting the spare. 9 times out of 10, the cradling would work. It was a very psychological game.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 6:43am

Setanta wrote on Apr 4th, 2017 at 11:42pm:
I always liked  “Step on a crack and break your mother's back”, I used to nudge my wife towards them, if she got one I would say the rhyme.

In primary school, the kids used to say, "Step on a crack and you'll marry a black." Even at that age, it sounded stupid to me, but then we got TV and I saw The Supremes doing Baby Love, and I thought maybe I'll step on some cracks.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:31am

Johnnie wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:30am:
Hypnotism, can that be construed as superstition. how can someone wave a fob watch in front of your face and turn you into a chicken, it has always puzzled me.

Two attempts to hypnotise me have failed completely.
Once in a psychology experiment at uni and later in an attempt to stop smoking.
Why are some people immune to hypnosis and others can be put under in a couple of seconds?

I have no superstitions I am aware of.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:59pm

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:31am:

Why are some people immune to hypnosis and others can be put under in a couple of seconds?

This is not necessarily about the superstitions we believe, just our favourites. I read my horoscope, but I only believe it when it's good.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:30pm

Hypnotism is a technique we use to alter our psychological state of mind. Most people actually do a form of self-hypnosis on themselves, called refocusing attention -- actually, I just made that name up. When we go to sleep at night, we fall into a type of hypnotic trance where we let our subconscious take over our conscious mind.

There is more to the hypnotism process. I know how it is done and have done it to others. It does not include having a watch waved in front of you. That is nonsense designed to fool you away from knowing how it really is done.

The reason why it is difficult to hypnotise some, whilst others are easy is due to how your brain functions. Some people take drugs or are heavily into the alcohol and that makes it difficult to make them hypnotised. Others have taken anti-psychotic drugs, and that leads to easier hypnotism. Though anti-psychotic drugs can also lift the hypnotism against the subject. Whereas, some people have a pychology that makes them near impossible to hypnotise. I have heard of sociopaths that take near forever (if at all) to hypnotise.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:41pm

When I was a teenager, Mum once mildly insulted me whilst I was out with her at the shopping centre. I stopped, pointed my finger accusingly at her, then pointed to the crack in the walkway slabs. Then I jumped onto the crack and twisted my foot as if miming putting a cigrarette out. Mum played along and started staggering around like her back was really sore. Got a few laughs out of the passerbys.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:20pm

issuevoter wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:59pm:

This is not necessarily about the superstitions we believe, just our favourites. I read my horoscope, but I only believe it when it's good.

OOhh, Issue, you reminded me of a good one.

Your Horoscope is only 'good' if read before midday AND you can't read your own horoscope.
So, when you are at a cafe with your lovely wife having a morning coffee, you read each other their horoscope !!

This is a good one, I made it up Smiley

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:22pm

astrology is a load of old rubbish, I know this because Im a saggitarius and we are very perceptive about these things.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:09pm

Anyone believe in demonic possession and exorcism? Surely that stuff is just superstition?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #29 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:29pm

? really?

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print