Conscious illusion (Read 1701 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Conscious illusion
Apr 4th, 2017 at 7:25am

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39482345

Here is an interesting article on consciousness, which has relevance to other concepts like an immortal soul, morals, and perception of personality.

The subject appears to be a bit much for the journalist who concludes with a few rather flabby paragraphs, but overall, it is food for thought.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Conscious illusion
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:42pm

I read the article.

Quote:

Our minds are made of molecular machines, otherwise known as brain cells. And if you find this depressing then you lack imagination, says Dennett.

"Do you know the power of a machine made of a trillion moving parts?", he asks.

"We're not just are robots", he says. "We're robots, made of robots, made of robots".

Our brain cells are robots that respond to chemical signals. The motor proteins they create are robots. And so it goes on.

The only one, single, real certainty we [human beings] are able grasp hold of, imo, is that we are self-aware.

All other 'human knowledge' is merely supposition, built upon supposition.

And, imo, 'it', 'that' [supposition, built upon supposition], is our intended path here.

i.e.
It is our whole reason for being.

To wonder as a child, and to seek,      .....and, to construct    our    suppositions.

All of our collected, and 'accepted' suppositions [on an individual level] help to form our beliefs [about what is true, and about what is real, and about what is 'important'].

And it is, imo,    our beliefs,    which inform and direct all of our choices in this 'life'.

On some days i make poor choices.

And on some days i make good choices.

And i meditate, upon why it was, that i made those choices.

And, isn't that why, i, the self-aware being, am here ?

I believe that it is, why i am here.

To meditate, and to build my 'mountain' of suppositions.

Proverbs 2:3
Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;

Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Proverbs 2:10
When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;

Proverbs 8:9
They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

Proverbs 18:15
The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge.

Psalms 63:1
O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
2  To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
3  Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
4  Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
5  My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
6  When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
7  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
8  My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.
9  But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
10  They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.
11  But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 1:32pm

Yadda wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:42pm:
I read the article.

Quote:

Our minds are made of molecular machines, otherwise known as brain cells. And if you find this depressing then you lack imagination, says Dennett.

"Do you know the power of a machine made of a trillion moving parts?", he asks.

"We're not just are robots", he says. "We're robots, made of robots, made of robots".

Our brain cells are robots that respond to chemical signals. The motor proteins they create are robots. And so it goes on.

The only one, single, real certainty we [human beings] are able grasp hold of, imo, is that we are self-aware.

And, imo, 'it', 'that' [supposition, built upon supposition], is our intended path here.

i.e.
It is our whole reason for being.

To wonder as a child, and to seek,      .....and, to construct    our    suppositions.

All of our collected, and 'accepted' suppositions [on an individual level] help to form our beliefs [about what is true, and about what is real, and about what is 'important'].

And it is, imo,    our beliefs,    which inform and direct all of our choices in this 'life'.

On some days i make poor choices.

And on some days i make good choices.

And i meditate, upon why it was, that i made those choices.

And, isn't that why, i, the self-aware being, am here ?

I believe that it is, why i am here.

To meditate, and to build my 'mountain' of suppositions.

Would you care to expound on this Human knowledge you call mere supposition? I have had infections cleared up with antibiotics, the knowledge that went into them was not mere supposition.

As for intended paths and a reason for being, IMO these concepts are purely human fixations of no value. However, a reality without meaning seems to scare a lot of people. I have purpose, but I created it. It was not imposed on me by some cosmic design. I do not need to meditate on this, I live it.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 5:24pm

Yadda wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:42pm:

issuevoter wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 1:32pm:

Would you care to expound on this Human knowledge you call mere supposition? I have had infections cleared up with antibiotics, the knowledge that went into them was not mere supposition.

As for intended paths and a reason for being, IMO these concepts are purely human fixations of no value. However, a reality without meaning seems to scare a lot of people. I have purpose, but I created it. It was not imposed on me by some cosmic design. I do not need to meditate on this, I live it.

I am merely suggesting, to everyone....

.....that so much of 'human knowledge' is, even in this    'modern scientific age',    merely human supposition, built upon human supposition.   [because we have no real certainty, about what is truth and what is reality]

.....that so much human supposition is vanity [i.e. mistaken 'certainty'].

We humans, imo, don't have the [intellectual?] capacity [or sufficient love of truth] to understand what is real, or what our real circumstances are.

We are told to trust our senses, to trust what we can see, and touch, and feel.
.....it is not real.      not really!

e.g.
'the earth is flat.     everyone can see, that the earth is flat.'

'how could there be 'new world', over the horizon ?   thats just ridiculous'

'i'm a doctor!   why should i wash my hands before i deliver this womans baby ?'

'cholera is caused, by something carried in the night vapours.   you can smell that stench at night! [when there is no wind]'

'of course the king is wearing fine clothes.   i made them!'         Grin

p.s.

I'm glad that the antibiotics worked for you.         Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 9:13pm

To Quote you: [because we have no real certainty, about what is truth and what is reality]

For someone who sees no real certainty, you certainly bang on about Christian dogma as if you did.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:17am

issuevoter wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
To Quote you: [because we have no real certainty, about what is truth and what is reality]

For someone who sees no real certainty, you certainly bang on about Christian dogma as if you did.

Yes i do, don't i !

But i live in, and experience, the very same circumstances as you do, mostly.

I live in the very same world that you live in.

I meditate, and sometimes i fast,      ....but i don't use psychotropic 'recreational' drugs.

And i read the Bible.

I'm different.       ....and i'm glad,     .....that i'm not 'normal'.

Yadda said, somewhere.....
Quote:

Reading scripture is a form of spiritual invocation [i believe].
And imo, the words and thoughts expressed within scripture, express [to me] the mind of our God.
And, reading those words and thoughts, exposes me to that spirit, which i [choose, and] want to be influenced by.
i.e.
The spirit of God.
It is that simple.

Anyone;      Try reading The Book of Proverbs, in the Bible.

And see what it 'does to your head' !        .....if anything.      Wink

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:36am by Yadda »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print