Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Public Holiday Would Likely Be Dumped (Read 1696 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
The Public Holiday Would Likely Be Dumped
Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:03am

Grand final eve public holiday likely to be dumped by Coalition government: Guy

The Age
September 22, 2016

The new grand final eve public holiday would be dumped by a Matthew Guy-led government, with any replacement holiday only granted to something that represents "all Victorians".   Sad

Next Friday marks the second ever grand final eve public holiday and, since Labor promised to establish the day-off during its time in opposition, it has been widely condemned by the Coalition and business groups.

Asked on Thursday if he would scrap the holiday if he won the 2018 election, Opposition Leader Matthew Guy said the break was not something his team was "looking at keeping".

"It has got a lot of small businesses and their families offside... and losing a lot of money," he said.

The comments follow a survey from the Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry that found just 12 per cent of businesses that opened on the inaugural grand final eve holiday turned a profit - only 74 per cent of the 500 businesses surveyed opened on the day.

Mr Guy also hit out at the reason for the day off. He said the holiday was not representative and that if there was to be a new public holiday it should not be for just one code of sport.

"It should actually be for something that encompasses all Victorians not just those that follow one code," Mr Guy said.

"If we are going have a day off we need to have a day off to honour all Victorians."

The Andrews government has no plans to scrap the holiday. A spokeswoman said Mr Guy's comment were ridiculous and he was looking increasingly desperate.   

"It's like saying that Melbourne Cup Day is just for horse lovers or Christmas Day is just for Christians. Hard-working Victorians deserve this holiday and we look forward to this year being bigger and better than ever," she said.

The public holiday was hailed as a success by Labor last year with good weather and a new grand final parade route to the MCG.   Smiley

If both Sydney Swans and the GWS Giants win their preliminary finals this weekend, the Andrews government would face a grand final eve parade with little local interest.

Victoria has the equal highest number of public holidays in the nation along with South Australia and the ACT with 13.

There are 12 each year in NSW, 11 in the Northern Territory, 11 in Queensland, 11 in Tasmania and 12 in Western Australia.

Last year a government commissioned report by PricewaterhouseCoopers found the Friday public holiday would cost the state economy up to $852 million a year in lost production, with employers paying up to $147 million extra a year in penalty rates.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: The Public Holiday Would Likely Be Dumped
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:09am

The good people of Victoria like their public holidays Mr Guy.  Leave the public holidays alone.   Sad   

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:27am

Businesses being forced to pay employees to sit on their a.r.s.e.s the DAY BEFORE a game of football and for a horse race. Are we really that desperate to follow the example set by Greece?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:29am

whiteknight wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:09am:
The good people of Victoria like their public holidays Mr Guy.  Leave the public holidays alone.   Sad   

They are a lazy pack of bastards for sure.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:35am

I'd be interested to know when the  White Kinight of the Brave Order of Workers last did a full shift?

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 12:33pm

Public Holiday for a football game what a wank that is!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 6:44pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:27am:
Businesses being forced to pay employees to sit on their a.r.s.e.s the DAY BEFORE a game of football and for a horse race. Are we really that desperate to follow the example set by Greece?

I am almost certain that neither is a public holiday in Greece.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 7:12pm

The Greek government believed in throwing gifts at the people without the means of paying for them. Sound familiar?

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:20am

The Andrews government has no plans to scrap the holiday. A spokeswoman said Mr Guy's comment were ridiculous and he was looking increasingly desperate.   Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:17am

whiteknight wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:09am:

Grin Grin Grin

whiteknight, you're obviously a career Welfare Jockey of some sort, and I say "Good luck" to you as long as you spend the taxpayers' money wisely and don't blow it on booze, smokes, gambling, and bad bad women.

My brother once pointed out a house to me in his street where he told me a young bloke lived alone after inheriting his parent's house, and had been on the dole for all of 7 years, somehow skillfully managing to side-step any attempts to get him back into work. With no mortgage and no rent to pay he only needed a relatively small trickle of income to meet all of his needs.

To my mind he was living 'The Dream' in a Homer Simpson sort of way. No work. No bosses. No early rising in the dark and coming home in the dark. Just a pure paradise of effortless ease whilst enjoying a modest lifestyle.

I envied him.

Now that I'm in retirement I can appreciate even more why he clung so tenaciously and stubbornly to his simple life-style on the public tit as do 90% of our Outback aborigines and a large percentage of the Muslim refugees who were invited here by the Guillard and Rudd circus.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:20am

Victorians have a holiday for grand final eve - really?

Jesus!

Oh well, good luck to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print