Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Aussie Muslim MP calls to ban criticism of Islam (Read 37557 times)
Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Aussie Muslim MP calls to ban criticism of Islam
Reply #45 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:59pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:54pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:38pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 8:46pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:53am:
Just ask any Jew at Australia's universities if they dare wear their yarmulkes on campus. Muslim youths have long since put a stop to it. Quid pro quo.

Really?  Really?  Yet in the 30 years I've been associated with various Australian Universities,

mowing the lawns or cleaning is hardly being associated bwian.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never mowed the lawns nor cleaned at a University, Baron.  I leave that to you, after all, it's the only way you'd even go near such a place of learning...  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

I did science and mathematics at Sydney University.

Beats your mail order nonsense.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #46 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:15pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:59pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:54pm:
Just ask any Jew at Australia's universities if they dare wear their yarmulkes on campus. Muslim youths have long since put a stop to it. Quid pro quo.

Really?  Really?  Yet in the 30 years I've been associated with various Australian Universities,

mowing the lawns or cleaning is hardly being associated bwian.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never mowed the lawns nor cleaned at a University, Baron.  I leave that to you, after all, it's the only way you'd even go near such a place of learning...  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

I did science and mathematics at Sydney University.

Beats your mail order nonsense.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And what degree did you earn?  A Diploma of Science?

I have no "mail order nonsense", Baron.  Must annoy you to know I have more degrees than you...   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #47 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 8:06am

Really?  Really?  Yet in the 30 years I've been associated with various Australian Universities, Herbie, I've never encountered a Jewish student who wanted to wear their Yarmulke.   Long before the arrival of large numbers of Muslims at Australian Universities.   Considering in reality, how few of either religion there are at most Australian Universities, I rather think they'd have a hard time encountering one another...   Roll Eyes

Sydney and its universities are not 'Australia', Brian, and the vast majority of Australia's Muslims are living here in Sydney, while Sydney's Eastern Suburbs are the stamping ground of our Jewish community.

I'm only repeating what I've read in our local newspapers, and I can't think why you would find it surprising that Muslim youths on campus have taken to bullying the Jews over Palestine when the university non-Muslim Lefties do the same.

As I have instructed Mothra to do - please up your game, Brian.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #48 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 8:13am

Must be another slow day with no posters at your forum.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin

It's ALWAYS a 'slow day' at Brian's debunked-and-defunct Forum Bored. It's such an empty space there that the local council wants to buy it and turn it into a car park.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #49 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 9:14am

There is an article in the New York Times by Thomas Williams about Maajid Nawaz, the high profile reformed Muzlim fanatic. Here are some points, and if you are going to accuse me of cut and paste to support my view, just bloody-well read the whole article, and then perhaps you will not be so ready to use the catch-all term “Islamophobe.”

“Nawaz’s layered arguments and concessions — his insistence, for example, that Islam does have something to do with Islamism — provoke a visceral suspicion among those who are concerned with fighting Islamophobia above all. “It’s an Orientalist fetish,” Nawaz says, “a deeply socially conservative Muslim who is medieval in their outlook is a ‘real’ Muslim, and anyone who’s challenging that status quo is a sellout.” The left has, in Nawaz’s view, forfeited what’s best about the liberal project, entirely conceding the right to speak in moral absolutes and about universal values. “The problem is you can’t draw a line with that reasoning: Why is what ISIS is doing bad, then?”

“Yet I’m convinced that Nawaz really does have his finger on the pulse of one of the most urgent problems of the contemporary era, a problem that is far too often mishandled or greeted with flat-out denial, through ignorance, hatred and fear, certainly, but also as a result of the very best of intentions.”

And I include my usual unequivocal insults to Islam. There will be no human progress without secularism.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #50 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 4:47pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 30th, 2017 at 8:06am:
I'm only repeating what I've read in our local newspapers, and I can't think why you would find it surprising that Muslim youths on campus have taken to bullying the Jews over Palestine when the university non-Muslim Lefties do the same.

Herbie, so you read it in the newspaper?  A representative of the MSM which you openly deride in anything except it's Islamophobia?  Tsk, tsk.  Most Jews do live in Sydney but there are still significant populations in other capital and major cities around Australia.  I have studied in Adelaide, Canberra, Perth and elsewhere.   I have encountered numerous Jewish students and as I've said, none of them wanted to wear a Yarmulke on campus.   That was long before the advent of large numbers of Muslim students.   QED.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 5:38pm

Really?  Really?  Yet in the 30 years I've been associated with various Australian Universities, Herbie, I've never encountered a Jewish student who wanted to wear their Yarmulke.   Long before the arrival of large numbers of Muslims at Australian Universities.   Considering in reality, how few of either religion there are at most Australian Universities, I rather think they'd have a hard time encountering one another...   Roll Eyes

"Associated", eh?

It's not about your occasional visits to a regional campus, Brian, to speak about old timer memories in some army backwater in your youth.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #52 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 11:00pm

Frank wrote on Mar 30th, 2017 at 5:38pm:

"Associated", eh?

It's not about your occasional visits to a regional campus, Brian, to speak about old timer memories in some army backwater in your youth.

I'd hardly call University College, UNSW, ADFA, the ANU and the University of Canberra, UNISA, Adelaide University, Flinders University, UWA, "regional campuses". Soren.   As for your claims about "Army backwaters"...Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:34am

Must have been quite a road trip for you Brian.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:53am

freediver wrote on Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:34am:

The Rhode trip didn't eventuate. He'll have an excuse for that too.  Tongue

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #55 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 3:49pm

Frank wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:50pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 5:29pm:
cods wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 5:07pm:
I guess Anne wont be rolling out the red carpet to  welcome..

Ayaan Hirsi Ali..who will be here next week... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I look forward to her visit.

It's going to put white Australian Lefties in a cleft stick when she arrives. She has all the Victimhood credentials the Far Left love to patronise and champion.

1. Black.
2. Victim of (Muslim) male abuse and discrimination.
3. Female.

But then who are the ones who want to victimise her even further?

Female Muslims living in our secular democracy where free speech is a protected right.

Without having even arrived here yet she has already exposed Australia's leading Muslim women as being a bunch of protesting and whining bitches who are happy with the Islamic culture that sees millions of their overseas Muslim sisters living as chattels to their husbands.

link

'Ayaan Hirsi Ali's upcoming speaking tour to Australia is not the first time she has visited the country, but it's the first time there has been significant public opposition, as a group of high-profile Australian Muslim women have launched a petition against the outspoken Dutch-American activist, claiming she "does not speak for us'.

'Damn right she doesn’t speak for them. Ali speaks for women who prefer to not be enslaved. Even then, western feminist types believe Ali’s view on Islam “is too much coloured by her own experience'.

I would like to see Anne Aly, as a representative of Australians in our Parliament, speaking up for Ayan's right and freedom to speak.  I would like to see Anne Aly standing up to the Muslim women who want to shut out and silence Ayan Hirsi Ali. Sh should do it as a woman, as an academic, as an MP. If she does not, she is betraying her constituents, men and women, Muslims, non-Muslims, and not least her academic integrity.

Frank can you cite any muslims in Australia who "want to shut out and silence Ayan Hirsi"? (hint: launching a petition protesting that she doesn't represent muslim women is not "wanting to shut out and silence" her).

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #56 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:52pm

It was, it was.  Lasted nearly forty years, FD.  I've enjoyed some of it, hated some of it.  It's called "life".    Cool

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #57 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:54pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:53am:

The Rhode trip didn't eventuate. He'll have an excuse for that too.  Tongue

Nope.  Never applied after watching what a friend went through to win her's.  She was the first Flinders University graduate to win one and the first woman in South Australia as well.   I had no desire to accept monies gained through the massacre and destruction of entire communities.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 5:19pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 31st, 2017 at 3:49pm:
Frank can you cite any muslims in Australia who "want to shut out and silence Ayan Hirsi"? (hint: launching a petition protesting that she doesn't represent muslim women is not "wanting to shut out and silence" her).

Hana Assafiri, Business owner (Moroccan Soup Bar) and Community Activist
Sherene Hassan,  Board Director  of Islamic Museum of Australia
Monique Toohey, Managing Director and Principal Psychologist Nasiha Consulting
Dr Shakira Hussain (PhD), Honorary Research Follow
Randa Abdel-Fattah, Award winning Author
Dr Umber Rind, Director New Leaf Medical Clinic
Tasneem Chopra, Cross-Cultural Consultant
Nina Azam, Clinical Social Worker, Human Rights Advocate
Tasnim Sammak, Youth advocate
Manal Shehab, Author and Speech Therapist assistant
Aseel Sammak, Famsy Vice President, Youth advocate
Diana Abdel-Rahman, OAM, President, Australian Muslim Voice Inc.
Ferdos Alsabaa, Community Support worker
Fatima Dennaoui, Lawyer
Dr Sara Hassan, Medical doctor
Islamophobia Watch
Mayada El-Taie, Translator and Interpreter
Silma Ihram, Director Diversity Skills Training
Yasmin Khan, Campaigner against Domestic Violence
Nicole Al-Khazrajy, Radiographer
Janine Evans, Community member
Dee Darwiche, Community worker
Meg Sowersby, Teacher
Maria Bhatti, (PhD candidate), Lecturer
Hella Ibrahim, Project Editor
Sara Saleh Human Rights Advocate and Writer
Anam Javed, VCE Biology and Chemistry Teacher
Hanan Dover, Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
Faiza  Rehman, lawyer
Tanya Kubitza  Community Worker
Fatima Koc Erciyas,  Chemistry Teacher
Kathleen El-Ataar, Midwife
Heba Ibrahim, PhD candidate
Rose Bogarts, Community Support worker
Zahra Baho, Horn of Africa Senior Women’s Group Leader
Dr Noor Al-Dasooqi, Research scientist
Lina Ayoubi, Hospital Chaplain
Sera Adalar, Secondary Teacher
Souha Korbatieh Lawyer
Lina Maghrabi, Secondary teacher
Suzanne El-Katatney, Company director
Inaz Janif, Secondary Teacher
Selen Rifat, Disability advocate
Firhana Imam, Business Owner
Rana Yanar, School administrator
Zakia Haque, Scientist, community worker
Samantha Spicer, Teacher
Cindy Rahal, Pediatric Occupational Therapist
Rokaya Nabulsi,  Community worker
Ela Tankir,  Public servant
Susie  Hassan, Assistant Principal
Samah Sabawi, Playwright
Amona Hassab, Humanitarian Support Service Case Manager
Husna Pasha, Occupational Therapist and talk show host
Yasmeen El-Shawy, Graphic designer
Mila Chami, Community worker
Laila Ruzhaji, Community worker
Kelly Dyson, Community member
Jasmin Elnajib   Community member
Shanhnaz Hamid  Community member
Humaira Hamimi Community member
Angie Safi, Human Resource Manager and Community worker
Ogbaad Jama, SecondaryTeacher
Aza Katar, Social worker
https://www.change.org/p/ayaan-hirsi-ali-does-not-speak-for-us-muslim-women-unit...

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 5:25pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 31st, 2017 at 3:49pm:

The title of their petition?

Ayaan Hirsi-Ali does not speak for us; Muslim women unite to oppose Hirsi-Ali
visit

We welcome and encourage vigorous discussion and debate regarding Islam and the status of women. However to conflate hate speech with free speech undermines both the intelligence of our community and the efforts we have made to maintain respect and dignity in an environment of such hostility. Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s conversation does not contribute to any insights nor further the debate in any way. This is simple sensationalism designed to fuel division and hate. Australia deserves better than this.

https://www.change.org/p/ayaan-hirsi-ali-does-not-speak-for-us-muslim-women-unit...

To label Ayan Hirsi Ali's views 'hate speech' is preposterous and simply proves the point: they 'encourage' debate as long as the points of view in that debate are pre-approved and are in no way critical (ie 'hateful') of Islam which to them is beyond reproach.

If they could have contained their inner demons and said simply that they disagree with her - fine. But they oppose her visit and therefore they oppose her speaking in Australia.  That is the fascist hoof in this and all other such brandings of criticism of Islam as 'hate speech'.

They DO want to shut her out. And you know it but you are of the same mind as these Muslim women.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017 at 5:57pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Send Topic Print