Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Job market for young worst in 40 years (Read 531 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Job market for young worst in 40 years
Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:44am

says Anna Patty, Workplace Editor, The Guardian

Almost one in five young people have fewer hours of work than they want, with underemployment in the youth labour force at its highest level in 40 years.

When unemployment is taken into account, the proportion of people aged 15 to 24 who are either without work or enough hours of work is now at 31.5 per cent.
The so-called "under-utilisation rate" which combines unemployment and underemployment levels is higher than it was during the 1990s recession.
Josh Sandman, 19, is one of 659,000 young Australians who are either unemployed or underemployed - having some work, but wanting more hours.

He does 10 hours a week of volunteer work as a freelance graphic designer in the hope it will lead to a full-time job. He had about 20 hours a week of paid work at a takeaway food outlet in Adelaide until a couple of weeks ago.

"If I had lost my job and was not living at home I would be on a couch or homeless right now," he said.

The new Brotherhood of St Laurence analysis shows 18 per cent of young people are underemployed, the highest level it has ever been since 1978 when the Australian Bureau of Statistics first started collecting the data.
Underemployment is now much higher than youth unemployment which is at 13.5 per cent.

Unemployment was less than 10 per cent and underemployment was at 11 per cent just before the global financial crisis.

The new analysis uses data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia Survey and the Department of Employment.
To be released on Monday, the Brotherhood of St Laurence publication, Generation Stalled: young underemployed and living precariously in Australia has found that the rise of underemployment can not be explained by the growing number of young people combining study with work.

"[T]he rise in the percentage of casual and part-time jobs has mostly been among young workers who are not studying," the report says.

Young people are now far more likely to be in casual and part-time jobs now than they were in the year 2000. The gap between the actual hours worked and the hours young people want to work has widened.

"The employment outlook for many young Australians today is profoundly different than it was when their parents and grandparents first started work," said Tony Nicholson, executive director of the Brotherhood of St Laurence.
(Absolutely no doubt about that)

"The record growth of underemployment particularly hurts the 60 per cent of young people who don't go to university - they face a much more uncertain future than previous generations."

Mr Nicholson said in the past, young people could leave school early and get a job in a factory, mail room, bank or a state-owned enterprise get training and improve their prospects.

"They had every chance to build a good life for themselves and their families. These opportunities have shrunk as the economy has changed and insecure jobs are leading to far more uncertain prospects for the new generation," he said.

"We need to redouble our efforts to build the capabilities of disadvantaged young people in this very challenging scenario. Tinkering with welfare payments is not the answer here."

The prevalence of young workers who are not students on permanent contracts has fallen from 61.8 per cent in 2008 to 53.2 per cent in 2014.

The proportion of students in casual work has fallen in recent years.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: Job market for young worst in 40 years
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:02am

Some of you guys must have children in the 18-25 age group.
How are they finding the job market?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:51pm

i don't think the left give a sh*t. it's all identity politics for them now. the working class are all racist bogans to them.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:00pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:02am:

Mine all work so they don't have to deal with the job market.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:07pm

It's all bad news for the young as resource projects wind down and car industry prepares to close down; Hazelwood closing; and Aluminium smelters putting their hands out for free taxpayer money.

New-graduate unemployment up and starting salaries down.

Thingz iz crook.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:13pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:02am:

These days the 18-25 year olds are either "studying" or sponging off Mum and Dad because "It is soooooooooooo difficult to get a job".

Meanwhile, parents are working their arses off and the kids do absolutely NOTHING for their "keep" ...

I know people who have bought their 17 year old a car and they pay the rego, insurance and so forth .... she hasn't had a lesson in driving ... yet. She has just learned how to catch a bus!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:18pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
i don't think

that's rather obvious

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
it's all identity politics for them now

i find it hilarious that you would criticise others for playing identity politics. Talk about pot calling kettle black Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:41pm

The oligarchies model to destroy the middle class is going along nicely hammer and tongs all due to our politicians becoming CEO’s to the oligarchy and allowing the present situation to develop take hold and shape our future.

Buying a house is a joke these days, buying a house on part time work, well I’ld like to see that.

I was so glad when Trump announced America first and then all others, thinking this might catch on like a disease all around the world, maybe Mal would also proclaim Australians first and then all others and other nations follow the Trump example  etc etc.

But sadly Mal, the libs and that little poofter Billy and his labor party are heralding free trade and globalisation stronger than ever.

Free trade and globalisation, rules the oligarchy got our stupid politicians to make law, all at the expense of Australian workers and our children and (themselves) our government and our country.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 12:11pm

x2  except I never believed Australia or anybody else much would reject globalisation. They don't have the vision to be radical.

Neferti, don't moan about the kids. Don't give them a free ride. Make them grow up.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 12:28pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 30th, 2017 at 12:11pm:
x2  except I never believed Australia or anybody else much would reject globalisation. They don't have the vision to be radical.

Neferti, don't moan about the kids. Don't give them a free ride. Make them grow up.

Bogarde73 wins a photo of Australia's greatest invention. The stump-jump plough.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 2:34pm

JOBSNGROWTH people JOBSNGROWTH.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print