Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shorty's union parasites at it again (Read 533 times)
juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Shorty's union parasites at it again
Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:43am

Shorty's corrupt Commo unions going mad and putting people out of work with insane wages demand.

Shorty gobbles a hotdog in a weird way while Australia burns

ACTU pushes $45-a-week pay rise for lowest paid
Ewin Hannan  The Australian 12:00AM March 29, 2017

ACTU secretary Sally McManus warns the minimum wage is ‘dangerously low’. Picture: Aaron Francis

Unions will push for a “historic” $45-a-week pay rise for the ­nation’s lowest-paid, with new ACTU secretary Sally McManus declaring Australia’s minimum wage has fallen to “dangerously low levels” compared to average wages.

In a further sign of the union movement’s aggressive positioning under Ms McManus, the ACTU today will urge the Fair Work Commission to award ­almost triple the $15.80 pay rise that flowed through to 1.8 million workers last year. Ms McManus will use a National Press Club ­address in Canberra today to ­unveil the claim.

Last night employers condemned the move, accusing the ACTU of treating small bus­inesses “like an ATM”. Business groups will urge the commission to limit the annual pay rise to ­between $8 and $10 a week.

The Australian can reveal one of the country’s biggest unions, United Voice, will push for ­almost double the ACTU claim, seeking an $87-a-week increase from July 1 if the commission ­rejects its bid for a medium-term minimum wage target.

In her address today, Ms McManus will say the $45-a- week minimum wage claim, equivalent to a 6.69 per cent ­increase, was necessary to “combat rising economic unfairness”. The claim would lift the annual minimum wage to $37,420.

“Building economic security for the lowest-paid workers in our society is at the core of the ACTU’s objectives, and increasing the minimum wage is one of the most effective tools available to achieve this goal,’’ she will say.

“Australia’s minimum wage has been forced down to dangerously low levels when compared to average wages — stifling economic security for workers and further entrenching inequality, which is now at a 70-year high.”

But Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive James Pearson said the ACTU needed a reality check if it believed employers, the jobless and the underemployed could ­afford a $45-a-week increase.

“The hundreds of thousands of small businesses who employ staff on minimum wages should not be treated like an ATM by the ACTU,’’ Mr Pearson said. “This claim, which is many multiples of the inflation rate, is patently ambit. It would squeeze thousands of low-paid workers out of their jobs, adding many people to the unemployment queue.

“This claim is a worrying sign that the new leadership of the ACTU is not interested in the community benefit of expanding job opportunities, and doesn’t understand the importance of supporting small businesses to succeed.”

United Voice national secretary Jo Schofield said her union would press for the minimum wage to be lifted from $17.70 an hour to $20 an hour — equivalent to $87 a week — if the commission rejected its current claim for a medium-term minimum wage target. The commission has yet to rule on whether it has the power to set the target and will consider the position during the upcoming annual wage review.

Ms Schofield said the union wanted an “accelerated timetable” to lift the minimum wage to $20 an hour, given the pay gap ­between the minimum-wage employees and other workers. “We think it’s justified on its merits, given where minimum wages are at and given the gap between minimum-wage workers and other workers is higher than it’s been for 25 years or so,’’ she said.

Ms Schofield said the recent decision to cut penalty rates intensified pressure on workers.

Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox said the increase should be limited to $10.10 a week, given low inflation and weak employment. “Rising energy costs and other cost pressures have eroded businesses’ ­capacity to afford wage increases,’’ he said.

Master Grocers, representing brands including IGA and FoodWorks, said the increase should be no more than $8.15 a week.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/actu-pushe...

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Shorty's union parasites at it again
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:44am

Some COMMENTS

Phillip 30 minutes ago
I guess they need to increase wages that high so they can bargain more way in EBAs.

Neal 1 hour ago
Deja vu - it wasn't that long ago that unions aggressively pushed to increase wages in the car manufacturing industry. Fast forward a few years, no more car industry, and importantly no union culpability. What industry are they going to ruin next?

Martin 1 hour ago
Give her $45 to go away.

Robert 1 hour ago
It would be better if the ACTU advocated on behalf of members in an associated union and not just one group or another no matter how deserving. It's no wonder they are becoming irrelevant.

Matt 1 hour ago
This is gold! Keep going lady...er....umm.... Did I just assume your gender????

Meyer 2 hours ago
Great step forward for robotization of jobs

Jason S 2 hours ago
If the ACTU and McManus want to raise the minimum wage first they need to explain how we can lift national productivity.

Productivity Ms McManus - remember that word? Yes that was the word former ACTU president  Bob Hawke championed in the 80's when as Prime Minister he presided of the wages accord with the ACTU of that time - wage rises in return for productivity gains.

Do we hear anything about lifting productivity from today's regressive ACTU? No, they ask for wage rises to cover rising costs of living driven by - wage rises. That's a ponzi scheme. In 30 years our Union movement has gone backwards, killing their member jobs for the sake of envy driven ideology.

Andrew 2 hours ago
Jeez, even the CFMEU only got 5%.......

Dwight 2 hours ago
The highest miniumum wage in the world is "dangerously low"? The least skilled people in Australia, who will be priced out of the labor market by this, would beg to differ.

Jason S 3 hours ago
A 6.69% Increase to the minimum wage ? Total wage growth across the entire economy is only 2%. Inflation just 1.5%. Where is this "rising unfairness"?
Ms McManus, small business who does not have the capacity to absorb such hikes will be the victim do you even know what a small business is? A clue, small business is not even on the radar of student unions.
And these people like to proclaim themselves as "progressives"? It would be hilarious if not so serious.

Walter 3 hours ago
Close down the power. Close down industry. Welcome to the cave age.

Trevor 3 hours ago
Oh look just give everyone $50 per hour and then see what happens . Cleaners and dishwashers deserve nothing less. And the dole should be at least $75,000 pa dont you think? Its only fair.

Martin 4 hours ago
Only Trade Unions can make these stupid claims, where do they think employers can get that sort of money from?

Ken 4 hours ago
Back to the days of spurious ambit claims which do nothing except reduce the credibility of the claimant.
Lazy, lazy, lazy.
Everything old is new again!

Chris 4 hours ago
Current National Government Debt -  $ 707,153,386,589.
Venezuela here we come.
These are the dangers of having a communist with honours in Philosophy anywhere near a place where actual physical work takes place.

tony 3 hours ago
@Chris And we have a government who came to power on the promise it would get the budget back into surplus, but all it has done is put us so deep into debt I can't see a surplus for at least the next five generations at least.
What a legacy this government will leave they will be despised for decades for their inaction. 

Jason S 2 hours ago
@tony @Chris Tony Abbott promised to get the budget back to surplus when the Mining Boom was in full swing under the ALP government.
Inaction by the current government is largely due to the Bill Shorten's ALP, Greens and crossbench senators like Jacqui Lambie the CFMEU plant. You do realise the Mining Boom that the ALP enjoyed is history right Tony? If Wayne Swan couldn't deliver his oft repeated promise of a surplus with Iron Ore at $160 / tonne not sure how you think the ALP could EVER deliver a surplus today??

Martin 1 hour ago
How can you govern if Labor/ Green Alliance voted everything down ?

Phillip 27 minutes ago
@Chris Greece is looking good at the moment.

Ken 5 hours ago
All this claim will do is lose more jobs. Well done ACTU, your really are a basket case that's falling apart. The sooner the better for the honest worker.

david 6 hours ago
This is actually possible if unions agree  to a cut in employee super contributions to say a flat 6% or maybe 5%. Most low paid worker would be much better off with a significant wage increase & they can top up their super after the mortgage is paid off & kids finished school. It might also allow low paid workers the chance to buy a house in the first place if both partners got this wage rise . If the ACTU thinks that employers can pay the super guarantee plus a wage rise then we would see a spike in the unemployment rate. The Fair work tribunal will demand a trade off or its a no go. McManus is making ridiculous claims that she has no idea as to how that would impact the Australian economy. .
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:49am by juliar »  

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:54am

“Australia’s minimum wage has been forced down to dangerously low levels when compared to average wages — stifling economic security for workers and further entrenching inequality, which is now at a 70-year high.   Sad

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:15am

[quote author=stillcrook link=1490733830/2#2 date=1490734452]“Australia’s minimum wage has been forced down to dangerously low levels when compared to average wages — stifling economic security for workers and further entrenching inequality, which is now at a 70-year high.   Sad[/quote]

ooops dont tell gweg that he thinks equality if here..and has been for yonks...

hes another one of you union worshippers.....you would think you would be on the same page....

dont you get the same propaganda from their machine... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:20am

do you even understand what it says cods?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:22am

John Smith wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:20am:

i was answering crook..

got a problem with that??

try sticking to the topic

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:24am

Now the corrupt union bulldust flows freely as they try to use the piddling penalty rates as a stepping stone up to the much bigger fight over the ABCC.

Penalty Rate Cut To Cost Government $650m In Lost Tax, ACTU Claim. Unions mobilise for huge campaign opposing penalty rate cut.
Josh Butler Associate Editor, HuffPost Australia  28/03/2017 11:07 AM AEDT | Updated 19 hours ago

Retail, hospitality, fast food and pharmacy workers are affected by the penalty rate cut.

CANBERRA -- The Australian Council of Trade Unions claims the federal government will lose $650 million in tax revenue over the next four years under the decision to cut weekend penalty rates for some workers, as unions nationwide mobilise a massive campaign to oppose the change.

The ACTU brought a clutch of workers from the retail, hospitality, fast food and pharmacy sectors to Parliament House last week, meeting with politicians to share stories of how the cut to penalty rates will affect workers. Workers in those industries will have their Sunday and public holiday pay rates cut, after the Fair Work Commission's decision last month. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has said he supports the FWC decision, while Labor, the Greens and other minor parties oppose it.

Kerrie Hamilton, a part-time pharmacy worker from Adelaide, was one of those workers. She cares for her elderly mother at home, and says the penalty rate decision will cost her several thousand dollars each year.

"I have a very small social life as it is, I'm already living on the line. The biggest impact will be my quality of life. I'm 57, I work 27 hours a week, I have an 81-year-old mother who is a big part of my life and I don't want her to have to go into a nursing home," Hamilton told The Huffington Post Australia.

"I can't cut back anywhere. What it will mean is increased work hours and I don't want to do that, because that will have a flow on effect with my mother and my ability to look after the house. I used to have choices. I feel like my choices are being taken away from me."

The ACTU said on Tuesday it had commissioned modelling on the economic impacts of the penalty rates decision. The trade union body claimed the government will lose $650m in tax revenue alone in the next four years, as workers earn less and therefore pay less tax. The ACTU said this figure did not include other impacts of the decision, such as lower-paid workers having to rely more on welfare or other government assistance.

"The Fair Work Commission decided to back small business and we back small business," Turnbull said in defending the penalty rates cut. He said the changes would lead to employment growth and more hours for employees who want to work more.

ACTU president Ged Kearney said the modelling showed the penalty rates decision should be opposed by the government.

"The cuts to penalty rates supported by this government are not only going to hurt some of the lowest paid workers in Australia, it also represents a significant blow to the tax base," she said in a release.

"In effect the Government is accepting a cost of more than half a billion dollars over four years to make sure that vulnerable workers get a pay cut. Meaning that not only will low paid worker have less money in their pocket but the Government will have less to spend on services."

"The Government promised jobs and growth, this modelling shows that they support a ruling which will result in damage to the budget bottom line and lower paid jobs. If this government has any interest in jobs or growth it should legislate to protect penalty rates."

The ACTU's modelling is just one plank in a nationwide union effort to oppose the penalty rate decision. Unions have said the recent FWC decision, while only affecting a few industries, may be the thin end of the wedge to crack down on penalty rates Australia-wide -- just last week, a push to address rates in the hairdressing and hospitality industries was confirmed.

The ACTU met with Labor, the Greens and crossbenchers including the Nick Xenophon Team, Bob Katter, Jacqui Lambie, Cathy McGowan and Andrew Wilkie, among others, on their parliament trip last week. The United Voice union has started an entire dedicated campaign, Save Our Weekend, to fight the penalty rate cut.

Unions including the CFMEU, Australian Manufacturing Workers Union, the Australian Services Union and the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association have been mounting social media campaigns opposing the penalty rate cut.

United Voice is also crowdfunding to place a large ad in The Australian newspaper, asking Turnbull to meet with a woman called Margarita, a hotel cleaner who will be affected by the penalty rate cut.

Unions have previously promised to mount an even bigger campaign against penalty rates than the one they ran against the Howard government's Workchoices changes.

Back in Canberra, Hamilton said the penalty rate cut represented a "changing of the guard" in Australia.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/03/27/penalty-rate-cut-to-cost-government-...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:24am

cods wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:22am:
John Smith wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:20am:

i was answering crook..

What was his question?

you have no idea what your quote means, do you?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:46am

And Mr Smith is displaying his awesome intellectual ability.

Where's that other Lefty intellectual giant LW to do a copy and dribble scribble ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print