Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some promising new solar tech right here in AU (Read 1374 times)
gfresh

Australian Politics

Some promising new solar tech right here in AU
Mar 28th, 2017 at 10:24am

Sorry, can't post links yet

abc dot net dot au/news/2017-03-27/development-of-clear-solar-glass--edith-cowan-univesity/83909
00?pfmredir=sm

but think of all those towers of glass in the cities generating solar, awesome !

New technology developed in WA is making its mark on the solar energy market, becoming the world's first commercially viable clear, solar glass.

Developed at the Electron Science Research Institute (ESRI) at Edith Cowan University, the glass contains special nanoparticles, with solar cells around its borders.

Director of the ESRI Kamal Alameh described it as a game changer for the industry.

"We call it energy-harvesting clear glass," Professor Alameh said.

"This is a glass that can pass the visible light through, while blocking the UV and infrared components of the sunlight and routing them to the edge of the glass for conversion to electricity via solar cells placed around the edges of the glass."
The energy-harvesting glass has already been used to build a self-sufficient bus shelter in Melbourne, with the company also in talks to test the product at Singapore Changi Airport.

And the team is also planning an advanced energy efficient glasshouse, to be built in the Perth area.

"This is a greenhouse that can pass the visible light needed for proper growth, or photosynthesis, while blocking unwanted radiations," Professor Alameh said.

"And then convert them to electricity where we can use them for water filtration, irrigation, heating and cooling inside the greenhouse."

The technology has been developed in collaboration with ClearVue technologies.

While it is not the first, or only, solar glass product on the market, ClearVue founder and chairman Victor Rosenberg said it was the first of its kind.

"Nobody actually has got clear glass," he said.

"They've got either lines or they've got dots, or looks like a chessboard with squares of solar panels on the glass.

"We are today, I would proudly say, the only commercial-size clear glass super building material producer."

One square metre of the glass can produce up to 30 watts of power.

With glass being one of the oldest and most versatile building materials, Mr Rosenberg said the new technology was advanced.

"It gives you daylight in which it lets the light through, it gives you solar control, thermal control, it's also safety glass and it gives you power," he said.
"It's been referred to by some major players as frontier technology.

"Others have called it a disruptive technology while a major university in the United States has referred to it as a smart-building material."

Developer calls for 'combined effort'
Mr Rosenberg said it was the development of the battery that had allowed the advancement in solar technology.

"The power is collected, it's stored in the batteries and then you draw off the batteries," he said.

"So you produce, you store, you draw and that's the way it should go."

The ultimate aim is to be completely off the grid, but Mr Rosenberg said it would take a combined effort of all emerging technology to make that happen.

"We should combine with other renewable technologies together," he said.

"No-one is strong enough to supply all the power, we should work with solar panels on the roof, plus on the windows, and other building materials that are energy efficient.

"We are causing a power revolution, we also need a design revolution, architects need to also change their design to incorporate the latest technologies."

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Some promising new solar tech right here in AU
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 11:04am

They were working on a paint to be included in the glass to send the light to the solar cells around the edge. This one uses nanotech, eh?

Having the solar cells around the edge has two advantages:

1. Fewer solar cells needed so cheaper

2. The cells can be shielded from direct sun by the window frame so they don’t heat up so much so work more efficiently.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

gfresh

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 11:28am

Even though they don't have a huge output, I like the idea that you could wrap a glass high-rise in them, every bit helps.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 11:44am

This is not viable at 30 W/m2. It's a toy.

The wiring cost alone would render it not economically viable, disregarding the fact that it would be in the vertical plane and not getting full sunlight, just reflected diffuse sunlight.

What's the bet that somebody starts a company with this product, floats it on the stock exchange and walks away with a huge windfall as the company eventually becomes bankrupt.

Remember the orbital engine.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:35pm

Unforgiven wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 11:44am:

The wiring cost alone would render it not economically viable, disregarding the fact that it would be in the vertical plane and not getting full sunlight, just reflected diffuse sunlight.

What's the bet that somebody starts a company with this product, floats it on the stock exchange and walks away with a huge windfall as the company eventually becomes bankrupt.

Yep.That didn't work too well. But the company Orbital Engine Company is not bankrupt. And the patents are being used in outboard motors and more.

"Orbital strikes drone deal with Boeing worth up to $120m"

https://thewest.com.au/business/construction/orbital-strikes-drone-deal-with-boe...

Dated December 2016

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:41pm

If I had a dollar for every time the words 'solar' and 'promising' were used in the same sentance I'd be a zillionaire.

Fair dinkum can someone sell this wet behind the ears a monorail or something....

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:48pm

lee wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:35pm:

Yep.That didn't work too well. But the company Orbital Engine Company is not bankrupt. And the patents are being used in outboard motors and more.

https://thewest.com.au/business/construction/orbital-strikes-drone-deal-with-boe...

Dated December 2016

If I had a thousand dollars for every time Ralph Sarich boosted his stock price with announcements like that I would be a billionaire.

Sarich made money from manipulating OEC stock price with bogus announcements. OEC made more money from government handouts than any invention.

OEC's best invention was milking the government and public.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 9:05pm

Unforgiven wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:48pm:
If I had a thousand dollars for every time Ralph Sarich boosted his stock price with announcements like that I would be a billionaire.

Sarich made money from manipulating OEC stock price with bogus announcements. OEC made more money from government handouts than any invention.

Ypu seem to be behind the times. Sarich isn't a major shareholder. Wink

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 10:00pm

lee wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 9:05pm:

You seem to be behind the times. Sarich isn't a major shareholder. Wink

He's not only behind the times, he's also behind many a multi nic.  Grin

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:05pm

lee wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:35pm:

Dated December 2016

If I had a thousand dollars .

You'd have to declare it to centerlink and hope they don't dock your disability pension.

IBI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print