Send Topic Print
cyclone debbie (Read 19710 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: cyclone debbie
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 5:50am

mothra wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:11pm:
My thoughts go out to anyone caught in the throat of this storm.

x2

The eye-of-the-storm ('throat') is a haven of peace and calm ...

Think, people ... THINK!

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 6:24am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:30pm:
Agnes wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:03pm:
Have had dealings with QLD cyclones and good luck to anyone who is caught in this one...usually they are never as bad as they are reported and hopefully the same with this one.. as long as you know where the evacuation centres are all should be well..

I've never been in a cyclone.

How come those with boats there did not sail away a week ago ?

They generally don't where or if it will hit land until a couple of days out, by then it is too late for sail boats. Most cyclones brew up and never get to our coast, some however do.

I have been in 6 cyclone Cat 3 and above, not a lot of fun to be had until beers start flowing then that stop as soon as the power goes.

Hope all are safe.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 6:27am

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 5:50am:

x2

Think, people ... THINK!

It's an expression used by seaman, the storm being a beast and when it devours you go down its throat into the belly of the beast.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 6:37am

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 5:50am:

x2

Think, people ... THINK!

I think its too noisy to think herb?... thats the trouble.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 7:06am

The sheer idiocy of people living in cyclone and tornado zones is highlighted once again by everyone up there on the Queensland coast having to run for the hills.

Needless to say, homes up there and in America's Tornado Alley should be built as dome-shaped structures over which the wind flows harmlessly.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:20am

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 7:06am:
The sheer idiocy of people living in cyclone and tornado zones is highlighted once again by everyone up there on the Queensland coast having to run for the hills.

Needless to say, homes up there and in America's Tornado Alley should be built as dome-shaped structures over which the wind flows harmlessly.

Calm down young lady, your hysterical ignorance is getting the better of you.

1. Not running from the wind, but the expected storm surge

2. Houses are built to cyclone ratings, and have been for 40 years

3. It happens regularly, and we would rather live in NQ than down south.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:50am

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 6:24am:
Have had dealings with QLD cyclones and good luck to anyone who is caught in this one...usually they are never as bad as they are reported and hopefully the same with this one.. as long as you know where the evacuation centres are all should be well..

They generally don't where or if it will hit land until a couple of days out, by then it is too late for sail boats. Most cyclones brew up and never get to our coast, some however do.

I have been in 6 cyclone Cat 3 and above, not a lot of fun to be had until beers start flowing then that stop as soon as the power goes.

Hope all are safe.

Aren't you worried the cyclone will make a waterspout that sucks up millions of irukandji and drops them inland creating a rain of stinging agonising death?

IBI

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 10:36am

Gordon wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:50am:

Hope all are safe.

Aren't you worried the cyclone will make a waterspout that sucks up millions of irukandji and drops them inland creating a rain of stinging agonising death?

Not the first thing that comes to mind in our cyclone preparations, no.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 10:38am

Need I remind you numbnuts no "dome-shaped home" is going to withstand a tornado F3 or above. And you do know cyclones do spawn tornadoes?

Hippie

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:42pm

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:20am:

Calm down young lady, your hysterical ignorance is getting the better of you.

1. Not running from the wind, but the expected storm surge

2. Houses are built to cyclone ratings, and have been for 40 years

3. It happens regularly, and we would rather live in NQ than down south.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Nonsense, Sweet-Cheeks, I've seen countless news footage from tornado and cyclone areas of the world in which the local councils have allowed housing designs to be just as they are anywhere else.

1. The roofs should be domed in one moulded piece.

2. The walls should have no corners but be circular in shape.

3. The windows should be made of slightly parabolic Perspex, and not glass.

4. All electrical cables should be underground.

5. All cars should be VW Beetles with perspex windows.

6. All houses should be slightly raised off the ground on piers.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:49pm

Marla wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 10:38am:

Need I remind you numbnuts no "dome-shaped home" is going to withstand a tornado F3 or above. And you do know cyclones do spawn tornadoes?

Hippie

trust marion to come in big noting bloody texus I bet..

who care if their cyclons are bigger than our.. Tongue Tongue

not interested mate we are too busy taking our own pictures of our own weather.. thank you!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:50pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:50am:

Hope all are safe.

and what about cane toads...they could make a nasty smell.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:54pm

Marla wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 10:38am:

Hippie

Bullshit, you batshit milf-monkey!

The science of aerodynamics as tested in NASA's wind-tunnels for new aircraft designs and rocketry has proven that wind flowing over a domed object actually presses the structure down, and makes it more firmly secured where it is, facefart!

And then again, Lil' Miss Clusterbugger ~ there's NOTHING to stop houses being built on hydraulic pistons that can lower the structure into a protective recess in the ground when an 'atmospheric event is imminent, bitch!

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 1:02pm

It's the same here in bush-fire prone areas.

It's beyond any kind of intelligence, education, or commonsense to understand WHY! the people who live in those hazardous areas don't phone up for a back-hoe and bulldozer to come over and dig a bunker for them to take refuge in when the fires come lapping at their heels.

And then, sedcondarily, people living in these bush-fire hazard areas are notorious for not insuring their properties from being destroyed.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 1:11pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 1:02pm:
It's the same here in bush-fire prone areas.

It's beyond any kind of intelligence, education, or commonsense to understand WHY! the people who live in those hazardous areas don't phone up for a back-hoe and bulldozer to come over and dig a bunker for them to take refuge in when the fires come lapping at their heels.

And then, sedcondarily, people living in these bush-fire hazard areas are notorious for not insuring their properties from being destroyed.

thats because if they do  they dont qualify for the hand outs after all the fund raising.......silly.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Send Topic Print