Pages: 1 2 3 ... 23
Send Topic Print
cyclone debbie (Read 20146 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

cyclone debbie
Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:04pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/cyclone-debbie-a-monster-on-the-h...

THE Police Commissioner of Queensland has revealed a tourist has died in a two-vehicle crash near Proserpine, with conditions caused by Cyclone Debbie a likely factor in the crash.

Emergency s
ervices were called to a two vehicle crash at Shute Harbour Rd, Cannon Valley at about 8am Monday, where a 31-year-old female passenger was pronounced dead at the scene. The male driver of the same car was not injured.

Police Commissioner Ian Stewart told media that the woman was a tourist to the area and said conditions caused by tropical cyclone Debbie could have been a factor in the cras

shes taken a life already...

fingers crossed she blows out of steam by the time she hits the coast...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: cyclone debbie
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:11pm

My thoughts go out to anyone caught in the throat of this storm.

IBI

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:16pm

cods wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:04pm:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/cyclone-debbie-a-monster-on-the-h...

THE Police Commissioner of Queensland has revealed a tourist has died in a two-vehicle crash near Proserpine, with conditions caused by Cyclone Debbie a likely factor in the crash.

Emergency s
ervices were called to a two vehicle crash at Shute Harbour Rd, Cannon Valley at about 8am Monday, where a 31-year-old female passenger was pronounced dead at the scene. The male driver of the same car was not injured.

Police Commissioner Ian Stewart told media that the woman was a tourist to the area and said conditions caused by tropical cyclone Debbie could have been a factor in the cras

It won't unfortunately

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:25pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:11pm:
My thoughts go out to anyone caught in the throat of this storm.

x2

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 8:56pm

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:16pm:
cods wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:04pm:

Emergency s

It won't unfortunately

you can never tell... the last biggy did.....mother nature unpredictable as ever...

QUEENSLANDERS are being warned to brace for what the Premier has described as “a monster of a cyclone”, with mass evacuations in place considered to be “the largest we’ve ever had to do” as Tropical Cyclone Debbie approaches.

The system was upgraded to a Category 4 at 8pm.

“Severe tropical cyclone Debbie has strengthened into a category 4 system. It may intensify further as it continues to move west-southwest towards the north Queensland coast tonight,” the Bureau of Meteorology said.

Debris caused by Cyclone Debbie's strong winds in the streets of Airlie Beach on Monday. Picture: Liam Kidston
The BoM’s 8pm update said the cyclone was expected to make landfall as a Category 4 just south of Bowen at about 10am Tuesday, with high tide at 9.44am.

The “very destructive core” could pack wind gusts of up to 275km/h when it hits, according to the BoM. Debbie had sustained winds near the centre of 165km/hr with wind gusts to 250km/hr by 8pm today, the BoM said.

Authorities say it could take up to 18 hours for the cyclone to pass and that the core could be up to 100km wide.

hang on to your seat belts..

its gonna be a bumpy ride..

do you go into shelters like they do in America Bigol??..

or is everyone left to battle as best they can?...

Lucky me I have never been in anything like this..

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:03pm

Have had dealings with QLD cyclones and good luck to anyone who is caught in this one...usually they are never as bad as they are reported and hopefully the same with this one.. as long as you know where the evacuation centres are all should be well..

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:10pm

I guess you get used to it... well almost.....like why do people live in tornado country like Oregon...I mean nothing is saved after one of those.. yet they dont leave...

I do hope the  govt hasnt let their insurance lapse this time round.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

just sayin....sorry agnes I know you are a lefty..

I am sure its all covered...

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:12pm

I am neither right nor left these days cods.. NSW will get some fall out from this one as well..I bet.

But I do hate Turnbull Govt..lol

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:11pm

We have had some casual rainfall all day today. Everything feels like it could go mouldy just from all the moisture. I hope we get a heap of rain over the next two days. I will need to mow the yard in a few days. But I can wait to do that in a week.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:30pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:03pm:
Have had dealings with QLD cyclones and good luck to anyone who is caught in this one...usually they are never as bad as they are reported and hopefully the same with this one.. as long as you know where the evacuation centres are all should be well..

I've never been in a cyclone.

How come those with boats there did not sail away a week ago ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:54pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:30pm:

I have no idea Sprint, maybe the owners were away..
I only heard about Cyclone Debbie today...when my girl was a little one we were camped on a beach park and during the night water flowed into the camp ground and I woke that night I saw her bobbing around on a pool of water ( she had a blow up camp bed under her)  that had invaded our tent..we upgraded to a room..lol..it didn't feel like a cyclone because we were told next day that we were in the "eye"...so it was very calm..later next day I had to call out the coast guard because my  partner decided because it was rather calm that he could go fishing after all, but his motor went dead... he was struck in bad weather and not happy that he had to be towed in by coast guard..  Next day the bad weather really hit and we had to wait it out...we were at Lucinda.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:08am by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 5:24am

My youngest sister is loose in Queensland now?  Wondered where she got to...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 5:29am

Agnes wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 11:54pm:

I have no idea Sprint, maybe the owners were away..
I only heard about Cyclone Debbie today...when my girl was a little one we were camped on a beach park and during the night water flowed into the camp ground and I woke that night I saw her bobbing around on a pool of water ( she had a blow up camp bed under her)  that had invaded our tent..we upgraded to a room..lol..it didn't feel like a cyclone because we were told next day that we were in the "eye"...so it was very calm..later next day I had to call out the coast guard because my  partner decided because it was rather calm that he could go fishing after all, but his motor went dead... he was struck in bad weather and not happy that he had to be towed in by coast guard..  Next day the bad weather really hit and we had to wait it out...we were at Lucinda.

Hello - the 'eye' is the middle - nobody goes fishing (see face palm below) ..... and a tropical cyclone is a rotating mass of cloud rain and wind - nothing uncommon - the only difference can be that the extra heat up there can make the winds stronger.

Sounds like your 'partner' needs to use his brain first times many..... I'm sure the CG were not happy about having to tow in some turkey who went fishing with a motor that died.  It's their lives, too....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 5:31am

We've all been in cyclones - every mass of air, cloud, rain moving clock-wise is a cyclone..... it's not just the really intense ones.... the high pressure systems that move counter-clock-wise are anti-cyclones.

― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 5:32am

Agnes wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:12pm:
I am neither right nor left these days cods.. NSW will get some fall out from this one as well..I bet.

But I do hate Turnbull Govt..lol

hahaha....

why?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 23
Send Topic Print