Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Resident & visiting wildlife (Read 8459 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Resident & visiting wildlife
Mar 27th, 2017 at 2:57pm

There's an old open shed on my place, must be 100 years old, support poles cut from timber on the place. I use it to store mowers, vehicles, oils new & used, feed for pony, junk.

Yesterday I was in it doing this & that and I look up on the top shelf of an old rack and there's this fat possum looking at me. I just kept going about my business and talking to it as I came and went.
I won't tell you about our conversation, it would destroy my credibility as a hard man here.
Any way he just looked at me (he?) and blinked and snuggled up behind a box and went back to sleep.
It didn't seem to bother him when I jump started a mower or made other noises. He was just curled up with his paw over his face and his great bushy tail hanging out.

Now I worried about that possum on & off all day because I have rat baits nailed about at several points and I thought I hope it hasn't chewed on one. I know they can be a pest but they're cute.

But this morning it had moved on so I guess all is well.

The other thing going on just now is a pair of fat hares who get quite indignant when I mow down their favourite patch of long grass in what I fancifully refer to as "the park".

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Resident & visiting wildlife
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:24pm

If I have to use rat baits - I put them where only tiny animals can reach them just to be on the safe side.

I've had a beautiful bird visit my garden twice in the last few weeks. It has the body shape of a native minor, but is a fraction larger. It has beautiful olive green and black feathers with bright red rings around its eyes.

I found a bell minor and an exotic minor on the net with similar features, but not with the red eyeliner.

This bird hangs out with the native minors. It is fairly rare for a hybrid offspring to occur and is possibly a throwback.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:46pm

I left my small kitchen mat out in the rain.. its still out there....I stood it up again a low wall I have to sorta drip dry...when I moved it a redback was scooting off....
yes I killed it   more reaction than anything else....

I can only guess where theres one.. there is more...

Cry Cry Cry

my son rescues possums from peoples roofs boges....he makes little possum boxes to put in trees....so they dont have to leave the neighbourhood....I think they like their own territory...

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 4:53pm

mantra wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:24pm:
If I have to use rat baits - I put them where only tiny animals can reach them just to be on the safe side.

I've had a beautiful bird visit my garden twice in the last few weeks. It has the body shape of a native minor, but is a fraction larger. It has beautiful olive green and black feathers with bright red rings around its eyes.

I found a bell minor and an exotic minor on the net with similar features, but not with the red eyeliner.

This bird hangs out with the native minors. It is fairly rare for a hybrid offspring to occur and is possibly a throwback.

Try and get a photo of it, Mantra.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:35am

Neferti wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 4:53pm:
Try and get a photo of it, Mantra.

I've tried. Some of these rare birds are very elusive and blend into the foliage quickly if they're disturbed. It's enough sometimes to just quietly watch them. If you don't move - they don't feel threatened and occasionally come back again.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:41am

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 2:57pm:
There's an old open shed on my place, must be 100 years old, support poles cut from timber on the place. I use it to store mowers, vehicles, oils new & used, feed for pony, junk.

Yesterday I was in it doing this & that and I look up on the top shelf of an old rack and there's this fat possum looking at me. I just kept going about my business and talking to it as I came and went.
I won't tell you about our conversation, it would destroy my credibility as a hard man here.
Any way he just looked at me (he?) and blinked and snuggled up behind a box and went back to sleep.
It didn't seem to bother him when I jump started a mower or made other noises. He was just curled up with his paw over his face and his great bushy tail hanging out.

Now I worried about that possum on & off all day because I have rat baits nailed about at several points and I thought I hope it hasn't chewed on one. I know they can be a pest but they're cute.

But this morning it had moved on so I guess all is well.

The other thing going on just now is a pair of fat hares who get quite indignant when I mow down their favourite patch of long grass in what I fancifully refer to as "the park".
Possums wont take rat poison.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:47am

Possums will eat rat bait.

Quote:
Rodenticides. Possums (particularly Brushtail possums) will eat rat baits or poisons laid out for rats and mice. Any consumption by rodent baits requires the animal to have veterinary attention immediately.

http://www.woaw.org.au/teachers/possums-and-gliders/

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2017 at 4:14pm

A murder of crows has camped on my place now. They're well known in the neighbourhood and move from place to place.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2017 at 4:23pm

Surprising amount of wildlife.  My neighbour said she saw a powerful owl. We get loads of possums and of course the sea life in the park 50m away, seals and penguins.

IBI

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #9 - May 14th, 2017 at 2:05am

mantra wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:24pm:

wow you might have found a new breed Mantra..that is a pretty exciting.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2017 at 6:54am

bogarde73 wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
A murder of crows has camped on my place now. They're well known in the neighbourhood and move from place to place.

I've had individual Tawny Frogmouth 'owls'
(They're not really owls)
sitting on my television antenna at night, but I've never had a parliament of real owls settle in the trees here on my property.

Tongue

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2017 at 1:50pm

I just hope the crows are not a harbinger of death.
So it has been believed.
I'm doing a Tony Hancock and drawing a chalk circle round my bed.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2017 at 2:39pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 14th, 2017 at 1:50pm:
I just hope the crows are not a harbinger of death.
So it has been believed.
I'm doing a Tony Hancock and drawing a chalk circle round my bed.

caw blimey.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2017 at 2:45pm

mantra wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:47am:
Possums will eat rat bait.

Quote:
Rodenticides. Possums (particularly Brushtail possums) will eat rat baits or poisons laid out for rats and mice. Any consumption by rodent baits requires the animal to have veterinary attention immediately.

http://www.woaw.org.au/teachers/possums-and-gliders/
thats rubbish, in reality they wont touch it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2017 at 12:28pm

It cuts you to the quick when you unintentionally kill wildlife.
This morning I found a frilly gecko crushed in a wheelbarrow of firewood. I thought he might be just playing dead but sadly no.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #15 - May 16th, 2017 at 3:46pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 12:28pm:
This morning I found a frilly gecko crushed in a wheelbarrow of firewood. I thought he might be just playing dead but sadly no.

I saved two skinks today from a slow death while they were hopelessly stuck to some sticky tape out in the backyard by using liberal amounts of De-Solve-It with a cotton bud.

Smiley

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 2:35pm

Looked out the front window a little while ago: 5 crimson rosellas, two chooks, a duck and a baby rabbit all sitting & feeding peacefully.
Didn't last long. The rabbit did a jump with a 90 degree turn & the rosellas scattered.

So many rabbits (and hares) about now my neighbour is talking about shooting them.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #17 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 7:18pm

Jugged hare, hmmmmm!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 2:28pm

Cockatoos: why do they have to be -

1. so damn noisy

2. so wantonly destructive just for the sake of it?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:28am

Cockatoos can be a bit noisy at times - usually when they feel threatened, stressed or the babies have left the nest and are scared and alone. Their screech is similar to human babies calling out for mum. If there are plenty of trees around to sharpen their beaks - they won't touch your house.

A small flock usually visit my home in the late afternoon for a snack. They love pieces of hard, stale baguette with sesame seeds. The only damage I've ever found are the tips of branches from large trees which saves me the effort of trimming them.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:43am

Don't buy your explanations.

Watched a.couple of big mobs wheeling around quite high up yesterday and the noise was deafening . . .and my hearing isn't even that good (after years of standing in front of big amplifiers). No screeching babies methinks, they were all flipping screeching.

I'm thinking more of damage to fruit crops. They don't just pull off some to eat they pull it off just for the heck of it or just to watch it fall. Nature's wanton vandals. The Antifa of the animal kingdom.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:20am

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:43am:
Don't buy your explanations.

Watched a.couple of big mobs wheeling around quite high up yesterday and the noise was deafening . . .and my hearing isn't even that good (after years of standing in front of big amplifiers). No screeching babies methinks, they were all flipping screeching.

I'm thinking more of damage to fruit crops. They don't just pull off some to eat they pull it off just for the heck of it or just to watch it fall. Nature's wanton vandals. The Antifa of the animal kingdom.

Of course they would cause damage to crops if there is no natural food around. Large farms often have an absence of trees where they would normally feed off the nuts and berries. I will admit that I have noticed their habit of taking a few mouthfuls of food and then dropping the rest of it uneaten. Still whatever they drop is eaten by other hungry, smaller animals.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 9:47am

mantra wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:28am:
A small flock usually visit my home in the late afternoon for a snack. They love pieces of hard, stale baguette with sesame seeds.

Grin Grin Grin

One day you're going to come home and realise you've bought the baguettes that don't have the sesame seeds sprinkled on top ...

... and then you'll soon find yourself playing the part of Tippi Hedren in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds ... only they'll be Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos instead of blackbirds.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 10:39am

What a great time of the year - the snakes will be coming out.
They'll soon deal with some of these baby rabbits.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:02am

Chomp. Slow swallow. Sleep.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:38pm

Just thinking, I used to know a girl like that . . . . . . in my dreams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:49pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:38pm:
Just thinking, I used to know a girl like that . . . . . . in my dreams

Jesus God!

Like Marla?

In your we dreams?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:18am

There are some new birds here, white storks or something like that. They won't find much water.

Also some mozzie activity, which is strange because there's been virtually no rain for months and it's still cold (except in the tortured minds of the climate alarmists).
You know what that means don't you? The harbinger of death for Peter Rabbit and friends and the florabundance of Mr McGregor's garden.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #28 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:05am

The other day I noticed a young hawk in my front garden. I haven't seen one close up before. It was a beautiful looking bird and it was standing on a large feathered hump. It was obvious that its prey was dead, so I sat still and watched it slowly devour this turtle dove over a period of 2 hours.

It methodically went over every part of the body - first pulling out every single feather of a particular area - then slowly devouring every little tendon and bone including the beak and legs. It would stop after a few little mouthfuls and look around checking for danger. It could only see me watching it - so continued this process until all that remained was a pile of feathers.

There is such a difference watching one animal eat another one out of necessity and not just as a toy to play with before killing it slowly for an after dinner snack.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 10:01am

It reinforces my skepticism about intelligent design in a way, because I ask why an intelligent designer would build blatant cruelty into HIS model (bait!).
But then I try to imagine another design without it and I can't.
So back to square one.

But yes, predators are beautiful creatures . . . except the insect variety.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #30 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:22am

It's the main reason why years ago I tossed aside the proposition that this 'Creator God' was deserving of the respect and worship of moral humans.

'He' created a world in which survival has depended on Nature being red in tooth and claw, with all the terror, panic, and pain that this implies. 

There may very well be a 'God', but deserving of 'worship'? ~ hardly. If anything, 'He' should be condemned for his callous disregard for the victims who suffer so painfully so that others further up the food chain can survive before they too find themselves being torn apart.

Speaking of which, I'm having a BBQ chicken for lunch.  Tongue
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:31am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:01pm

Have had the great pleasure of adopting a family of magpies. Territorial birds, they usually stake a claim that they can defend until they establish safety and dominance.

I now have the privilege of an established territory about my house. Two adults and two grown young'uns that approach and carol me for a handout. Mindful of their possible dependency, I only feed them when I feel like it, not when they demand it. But, like an old couch, they have become used to me. I provide water and the occasional treats.

I now have one of the young who is quite comfortable venturing inside the back door to sing and hop about while begging and the others perch on the clothesline while I'm hanging out the washing. I hope I have provided an oasis in suburbia for my avian mercenaries.

My whistling ability has greatly expanded.

I can quite understand some ex-pats who express the loss of hearing the melodies these precocious, garrulous songsters.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #32 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 4:36am

Lionel Edriess wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:01pm:
Have had the great pleasure of adopting a family of magpies. Territorial birds, they usually stake a claim that they can defend until they establish safety and dominance.

I now have the privilege of an established territory about my house. Two adults and two grown young'uns that approach and carol me for a handout. Mindful of their possible dependency, I only feed them when I feel like it, not when they demand it. But, like an old couch, they have become used to me. I provide water and the occasional treats.

I now have one of the young who is quite comfortable venturing inside the back door to sing and hop about while begging and the others perch on the clothesline while I'm hanging out the washing. I hope I have provided an oasis in suburbia for my avian mercenaries.

I can quite understand some ex-pats who express the loss of hearing the melodies these precocious, garrulous songsters.

I'm a magpie fan also. I've had a family established in my garden for about 6 years. The alpha female - Bessy - who has had numerous partners initially started off with 2 babies - the following year it was 3 - then the next year it was 4. She's changed partners every season. Occasionally one of her worn out bedraggled partners comes back once or twice for a quick feed and then disappears. Bessy is looking the worst for wear at the moment and showing her age. This year she had 3 babies - all males and the fighting between these 3 brothers for her attention is a worry. They are vicious. Her latest partner has disappeared already, but she has a 2 year old daughter who helps her with the runt of the litter. The family dynamics of magpies is interesting and very similar to us humans.

I've got no idea how long a female breeds for though. Every year I think this must be Bessy's last year, but she keeps on going. I'm assuming the males must become completely worn out from defending and/or disciplining their family to the point where they only live a short life.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #33 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 5:05am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:22am:
It's the main reason why years ago I tossed aside the proposition that this 'Creator God' was deserving of the respect and worship of moral humans.

'He' created a world in which survival has depended on Nature being red in tooth and claw, with all the terror, panic, and pain that this implies. 

There may very well be a 'God', but deserving of 'worship'? ~ hardly. If anything, 'He' should be condemned for his callous disregard for the victims who suffer so painfully so that others further up the food chain can survive before they too find themselves being torn apart.

Speaking of which, I'm having a BBQ chicken for lunch.  Tongue

There was a God a couple of weeks ago. It was exceptionally dry and hot and there hadn't been any rain in my area for weeks. Coming home a little earlier I had noticed a mother duck with an abundance of day old ducklings walking down my newly curbed and now busy street. I chose not to think about their fate. Ten minutes later - I heard this distressed quacking which went on relentlessly until it drove me out of the house to reluctantly investigate.

Across the road there was a young tradesman lying beside a drain while the mother duck hysterically screamed for help. This lovely young man told me that when the mother had jumped up on the curb to get to the grass - 5 babies didn't make the jump and fell into the drain.

The ducklings couldn't be reached and a young woman passing by had run home to get a tool to undo the grate. My contribution was a long handled net and a tub of water for the mother which was ineffective, but the perseverance of these young strangers and then the help of another very strong young man passing by - had all contributed to releasing the grate to access the drain. The tradesman jumped down into the drain and picked up the 5 ducklings and reunited them with their mother. She waddled off happily into a nearby backyard.

Regardless of this impressive rescue - I doubt the babies would have survived for very long after that. There are too many predators and fast cars around for most ducklings to live to maturity, but for that day - it was so good to see humane people in action. I couldn't have done what these people did.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 7:06am

bogarde73 wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 12:28pm:

I share your feelings on that.

I was digging in the garden and found the skeletal remains of a racing pigeon with a leg band. I phoned up the contact number of the club and the information will be passed on to the original owner.

It was unintentionally killed by one of my three cats who I'm sure spent some time thereafter feeling remorseful.  Cool

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 7:15am

That's a beautiful story, Mantra.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:26pm

As I go about my place I like to try mimicking the various bird calls.
It's surprising how you can get close enough with some of them to fool them for a while into having a conversation.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #37 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 3:50pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:01pm:

Yes - me too - I like to whistle and trick the magpies.
Sometimes I can get them to fly over to see where that other magpie is - LOL

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print