Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Resident & visiting wildlife (Read 8477 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Resident & visiting wildlife
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2017 at 3:46pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 12:28pm:
It cuts you to the quick when you unintentionally kill wildlife.
This morning I found a frilly gecko crushed in a wheelbarrow of firewood. I thought he might be just playing dead but sadly no.

I saved two skinks today from a slow death while they were hopelessly stuck to some sticky tape out in the backyard by using liberal amounts of De-Solve-It with a cotton bud.

Smiley

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #16 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 2:35pm

Looked out the front window a little while ago: 5 crimson rosellas, two chooks, a duck and a baby rabbit all sitting & feeding peacefully.
Didn't last long. The rabbit did a jump with a 90 degree turn & the rosellas scattered.

So many rabbits (and hares) about now my neighbour is talking about shooting them.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #17 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 7:18pm

Jugged hare, hmmmmm!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 2:28pm

Cockatoos: why do they have to be -

1. so damn noisy

2. so wantonly destructive just for the sake of it?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:28am

Cockatoos can be a bit noisy at times - usually when they feel threatened, stressed or the babies have left the nest and are scared and alone. Their screech is similar to human babies calling out for mum. If there are plenty of trees around to sharpen their beaks - they won't touch your house.

A small flock usually visit my home in the late afternoon for a snack. They love pieces of hard, stale baguette with sesame seeds. The only damage I've ever found are the tips of branches from large trees which saves me the effort of trimming them.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:43am

Don't buy your explanations.

Watched a.couple of big mobs wheeling around quite high up yesterday and the noise was deafening . . .and my hearing isn't even that good (after years of standing in front of big amplifiers). No screeching babies methinks, they were all flipping screeching.

I'm thinking more of damage to fruit crops. They don't just pull off some to eat they pull it off just for the heck of it or just to watch it fall. Nature's wanton vandals. The Antifa of the animal kingdom.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:20am

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:43am:
Don't buy your explanations.

Watched a.couple of big mobs wheeling around quite high up yesterday and the noise was deafening . . .and my hearing isn't even that good (after years of standing in front of big amplifiers). No screeching babies methinks, they were all flipping screeching.

I'm thinking more of damage to fruit crops. They don't just pull off some to eat they pull it off just for the heck of it or just to watch it fall. Nature's wanton vandals. The Antifa of the animal kingdom.

Of course they would cause damage to crops if there is no natural food around. Large farms often have an absence of trees where they would normally feed off the nuts and berries. I will admit that I have noticed their habit of taking a few mouthfuls of food and then dropping the rest of it uneaten. Still whatever they drop is eaten by other hungry, smaller animals.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 9:47am

mantra wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:28am:
A small flock usually visit my home in the late afternoon for a snack. They love pieces of hard, stale baguette with sesame seeds.

Grin Grin Grin

One day you're going to come home and realise you've bought the baguettes that don't have the sesame seeds sprinkled on top ...

... and then you'll soon find yourself playing the part of Tippi Hedren in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds ... only they'll be Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos instead of blackbirds.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 10:39am

What a great time of the year - the snakes will be coming out.
They'll soon deal with some of these baby rabbits.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:02am

Chomp. Slow swallow. Sleep.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:38pm

Just thinking, I used to know a girl like that . . . . . . in my dreams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:49pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:38pm:
Just thinking, I used to know a girl like that . . . . . . in my dreams

Jesus God!

Like Marla?

In your we dreams?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:18am

There are some new birds here, white storks or something like that. They won't find much water.

Also some mozzie activity, which is strange because there's been virtually no rain for months and it's still cold (except in the tortured minds of the climate alarmists).
You know what that means don't you? The harbinger of death for Peter Rabbit and friends and the florabundance of Mr McGregor's garden.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #28 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:05am

The other day I noticed a young hawk in my front garden. I haven't seen one close up before. It was a beautiful looking bird and it was standing on a large feathered hump. It was obvious that its prey was dead, so I sat still and watched it slowly devour this turtle dove over a period of 2 hours.

It methodically went over every part of the body - first pulling out every single feather of a particular area - then slowly devouring every little tendon and bone including the beak and legs. It would stop after a few little mouthfuls and look around checking for danger. It could only see me watching it - so continued this process until all that remained was a pile of feathers.

There is such a difference watching one animal eat another one out of necessity and not just as a toy to play with before killing it slowly for an after dinner snack.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 10:01am

It reinforces my skepticism about intelligent design in a way, because I ask why an intelligent designer would build blatant cruelty into HIS model (bait!).
But then I try to imagine another design without it and I can't.
So back to square one.

But yes, predators are beautiful creatures . . . except the insect variety.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print