Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Resident & visiting wildlife (Read 8483 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Resident & visiting wildlife
Mar 27th, 2017 at 2:57pm

There's an old open shed on my place, must be 100 years old, support poles cut from timber on the place. I use it to store mowers, vehicles, oils new & used, feed for pony, junk.

Yesterday I was in it doing this & that and I look up on the top shelf of an old rack and there's this fat possum looking at me. I just kept going about my business and talking to it as I came and went.
I won't tell you about our conversation, it would destroy my credibility as a hard man here.
Any way he just looked at me (he?) and blinked and snuggled up behind a box and went back to sleep.
It didn't seem to bother him when I jump started a mower or made other noises. He was just curled up with his paw over his face and his great bushy tail hanging out.

Now I worried about that possum on & off all day because I have rat baits nailed about at several points and I thought I hope it hasn't chewed on one. I know they can be a pest but they're cute.

But this morning it had moved on so I guess all is well.

The other thing going on just now is a pair of fat hares who get quite indignant when I mow down their favourite patch of long grass in what I fancifully refer to as "the park".

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Resident & visiting wildlife
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:24pm

If I have to use rat baits - I put them where only tiny animals can reach them just to be on the safe side.

I've had a beautiful bird visit my garden twice in the last few weeks. It has the body shape of a native minor, but is a fraction larger. It has beautiful olive green and black feathers with bright red rings around its eyes.

I found a bell minor and an exotic minor on the net with similar features, but not with the red eyeliner.

This bird hangs out with the native minors. It is fairly rare for a hybrid offspring to occur and is possibly a throwback.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:46pm

I left my small kitchen mat out in the rain.. its still out there....I stood it up again a low wall I have to sorta drip dry...when I moved it a redback was scooting off....
yes I killed it   more reaction than anything else....

I can only guess where theres one.. there is more...

Cry Cry Cry

my son rescues possums from peoples roofs boges....he makes little possum boxes to put in trees....so they dont have to leave the neighbourhood....I think they like their own territory...

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 4:53pm

mantra wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:24pm:
If I have to use rat baits - I put them where only tiny animals can reach them just to be on the safe side.

I've had a beautiful bird visit my garden twice in the last few weeks. It has the body shape of a native minor, but is a fraction larger. It has beautiful olive green and black feathers with bright red rings around its eyes.

I found a bell minor and an exotic minor on the net with similar features, but not with the red eyeliner.

This bird hangs out with the native minors. It is fairly rare for a hybrid offspring to occur and is possibly a throwback.

Try and get a photo of it, Mantra.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:35am

Neferti wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 4:53pm:
Try and get a photo of it, Mantra.

I've tried. Some of these rare birds are very elusive and blend into the foliage quickly if they're disturbed. It's enough sometimes to just quietly watch them. If you don't move - they don't feel threatened and occasionally come back again.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:41am

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 2:57pm:
There's an old open shed on my place, must be 100 years old, support poles cut from timber on the place. I use it to store mowers, vehicles, oils new & used, feed for pony, junk.

Yesterday I was in it doing this & that and I look up on the top shelf of an old rack and there's this fat possum looking at me. I just kept going about my business and talking to it as I came and went.
I won't tell you about our conversation, it would destroy my credibility as a hard man here.
Any way he just looked at me (he?) and blinked and snuggled up behind a box and went back to sleep.
It didn't seem to bother him when I jump started a mower or made other noises. He was just curled up with his paw over his face and his great bushy tail hanging out.

Now I worried about that possum on & off all day because I have rat baits nailed about at several points and I thought I hope it hasn't chewed on one. I know they can be a pest but they're cute.

But this morning it had moved on so I guess all is well.

The other thing going on just now is a pair of fat hares who get quite indignant when I mow down their favourite patch of long grass in what I fancifully refer to as "the park".
Possums wont take rat poison.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:47am

Possums will eat rat bait.

Quote:
Rodenticides. Possums (particularly Brushtail possums) will eat rat baits or poisons laid out for rats and mice. Any consumption by rodent baits requires the animal to have veterinary attention immediately.

http://www.woaw.org.au/teachers/possums-and-gliders/

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2017 at 4:14pm

A murder of crows has camped on my place now. They're well known in the neighbourhood and move from place to place.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2017 at 4:23pm

Surprising amount of wildlife.  My neighbour said she saw a powerful owl. We get loads of possums and of course the sea life in the park 50m away, seals and penguins.

IBI

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #9 - May 14th, 2017 at 2:05am

mantra wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 12:24pm:

wow you might have found a new breed Mantra..that is a pretty exciting.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2017 at 6:54am

bogarde73 wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
A murder of crows has camped on my place now. They're well known in the neighbourhood and move from place to place.

I've had individual Tawny Frogmouth 'owls'
(They're not really owls)
sitting on my television antenna at night, but I've never had a parliament of real owls settle in the trees here on my property.

Tongue

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2017 at 1:50pm

I just hope the crows are not a harbinger of death.
So it has been believed.
I'm doing a Tony Hancock and drawing a chalk circle round my bed.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2017 at 2:39pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 14th, 2017 at 1:50pm:
I just hope the crows are not a harbinger of death.
So it has been believed.
I'm doing a Tony Hancock and drawing a chalk circle round my bed.

caw blimey.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2017 at 2:45pm

mantra wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:47am:
Possums will eat rat bait.

Quote:
Rodenticides. Possums (particularly Brushtail possums) will eat rat baits or poisons laid out for rats and mice. Any consumption by rodent baits requires the animal to have veterinary attention immediately.

http://www.woaw.org.au/teachers/possums-and-gliders/
thats rubbish, in reality they wont touch it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2017 at 12:28pm

It cuts you to the quick when you unintentionally kill wildlife.
This morning I found a frilly gecko crushed in a wheelbarrow of firewood. I thought he might be just playing dead but sadly no.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print