Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Big Australia? 46 million by 2075. Big mistake! (Read 1733 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Big Australia? 46 million by 2075. Big mistake!
Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:04am

Australian governments are reactionary and clueless. However, their reaction to a crisis is usually decades too late.

With the current state of no employment growth, immigration policies are importing unemployment and sentencing middle Australia to declining wages and economic stagnation.

"Government policy and plans to deal with the projected increases in population are being addressed in much the same vein as the energy crisis. Chaos and division appear to be the only identifiable actions, yet the two issues are inseparable."

... ...

https://independentaustralia.net/environment/environment-display/what-is-austral...

Quote:
The 2016 State of the Environment Report (SER) released by the Federal government projects a population of 35 million by 2050. In November 2013, The Australian Bureau of Statistics released a report projecting Australia's population to double to 46 million by 2075.

These are pretty scary figures. Sydney and Melbourne are predicted to reach 7.9 million each by 2053.

Treasurer Scott Morrison recently confirmed on ongoing intake of 170,000 immigrants annually. 

But at what cost? Given the current state of Australia’s environment is one of significant decline in almost all areas, the national balance sheet must now weigh up where reality lies. Without any value being placed on clean water, air, healthy forests and soil, marine ecosystems and Australia’s unique biodiversity, population increases must not be solely assessed on economic grounds.

With a significant increase in population growth, higher infrastructure costs, lack of amenity, car dependency, poor job access and diminished agriculture are some of the costs to be paid.

Sustainable Australia documents the impacts of rapid population growth, including:

housing unaffordability;
congestion of infrastructure including roads, schools, ports and hospitals;
water insecurity and expensive water options, like desalination;
more crowded beaches, parks and recreational areas;
less access to green space and fresh air;
more pollution; and
the dilution of democracy.

With no value attributed to wildlife, clean water, healthy forests and marine ecosystems, the SER is an inadequate document. The nation’s balanced sheet is deficient, one-sided and incapable of predicting the real cost of a massive increase in population. In essence, any projected population increase will be at the expense of the environment.

Limits to Growth – a website created by Professor Sharon Beder of the University of Wollongong – says that business groups have tended to emphasise the need for economic growth in their policies on sustainable development.

In contrast, Dr Ted Trainer, a well-known Australian limits-to-growth advocate, argues that our levels of resource use, production and consumption in this country are already unsustainable. For example, on average, Australians already use the equivalent energy of about seven tonnes of coal per person. If everyone in the world used this much, world energy production would have to be quadrupled. This would mean, he claims, that the world's supplies of coal, oil, gas and uranium would quickly run out, and the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere would increase alarmingly.

In his paper, 'A Limits to Growth Critique of the Radical Left, The Need to Embrace the Simpler Way, 2014', Dr Trainer sums up the carrying capacity issues, or as he describes it as “the footprint” index. To provide the average Australian with food, settlement area, water and energy now requires about 8 hectares of productive land.    For a dry continent with insufficient water and fertile soil for a large population, this amount of land is completely unrealistic.

According to Dr Trainer, the core element in the limits case is that we are entering an era of intense and irremediable scarcity, which rules out notions of emancipation in terms of a centralised, industrialised, technically sophisticated or globalised systems, growth economies or affluent lifestyles.   There must be a dramatic reduction in rich-world levels of production and consumption and “ living standards.”

Australia’s population is growing faster than the global population. According to Sustainable Australia, our nation adds one person every one minute and 22 seconds, needing the equivalent of a new city the size of Canberra each year.  If we continue at this rate, our population will double every 40 to 50 years.

On the environmental side of the equation, the SER states that Australia is considered one of the world’s 17 mega diverse countries, which together account for 70 per cent of the world’s biological diversity, across less than 10 per cent of the world’s surface. 
Around 46 per cent of birds, 69 per cent of mammals (including marine mammals) 94 per cent of amphibians, 93 per cent of flowering plants and 93 per cent of reptiles are found only in Australia. The SER Report says that one of the main drivers of environmental change is human population growth.
[color=#666666][/color]

Australia’s ecological footprint is the 13th highest globally, behind countries such as Qatar, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Denmark, the United States and Belgium...
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:18am by Unforgiven »  

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Big Australia? 46 million by 2075. Big mistake!
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:17am

Australia could solve a lot of problems by setting a population target of 20 million.

I would be happier with it a lot lower

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:21am

miketrees wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:17am:
Australia could solve a lot of problems by setting a population target of 20 million.

Send closet poms back?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:32pm

If we shipped all the Muslims over to Saudi Arabia that would lower our population.

Hold on - The Saudis won't accept Muslims.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:54pm

Unforgiven wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:21am:

Send closet poms back?

Agreed, and your kind while we are at it.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:33pm

Man, there is gonna be a lot of people on the dole.

or working as public servants.

The 200 people actually paying tax will be in for quite a shock.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 2:17pm

I'm yet to hear a valid argument of any advantage of a big Australia.

IBI

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 2:17pm

Actually, it will be 64 million in year 2075 if Australia maintains the current growth rate of 1.8%.

Most of those will jam themselves into the far-flung suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne.

Australia is currently importing unemployment with the migration levels in an economic situation of no job growth.

This portends decades and possibly generations of pressure on middle-class wages as a huge army of unemployed and under-employed is created.

Has Australia actually just deferred a recession instead of avoiding it?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 2:18pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 2:17pm:

More meat-heads and kettle-bell players.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 4:11pm

That does not sound too bad. Getting another 22 million in Australia in the next 58 years seems possible. Probably 40 million by 2075. The only thing is that the country needs is to be drought-proofed.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 4:20pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 4:11pm:
That does not sound too bad. Getting another 22 million in Australia in the next 58 years seems possible. Probably 40 million by 2075. The only thing is that the country needs is to be drought-proofed.

That just means nobody should live more than walking distance from a pub.

The problem is that Australia is bottom-end loaded with closet poms.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 4:35pm

The problem is, like you said earlier, that they will stick to the main cities and let regional Australia grow slowly. With people so cramped in Sydney and Melbourne today, they can only expect the outer suburbs to become the central points of the cities in the year 2075. But you can imagine that the real problem will be with importing millions of third world people. Sydney and Melbourne will be 40% white. The rest of Australia will be 80% white on average. Other major cities will be between 50% and 70% white. Then the most aggressive of the non-white ethnicities will want to demand Australia become a third world society like the countries that they fled.

But the reality of this population growth will depend on if Australia can get water to the inland parts of the country and allow the people out there to have a reliable supply of drinking water. I had not known about the lack of water in rural Australia until my 5 minute shower I had before a wedding was frowned upon by the host.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 4:49pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 4:35pm:
The problem is, like you said earlier, that they will stick to the main cities and let regional Australia grow slowly. With people so cramped in Sydney and Melbourne today, they can only expect the outer suburbs to become the central points of the cities in the year 2075. But you can imagine that the real problem will be with importing millions of third world people. Sydney and Melbourne will be 40% white. The rest of Australia will be 80% white on average. Other major cities will be between 50% and 70% white. Then the most aggressive of the non-white ethnicities will want to demand Australia become a third world society like the countries that they fled.

But the reality of this population growth will depend on if Australia can get water to the inland parts of the country and allow the people out there to have a reliable supply of drinking water. I had not known about the lack of water in rural Australia until my 5 minute shower I had before a wedding was frowned upon by the host.

Let the punters drink champagne.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 6:23pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 2:17pm:

economies of scale

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 5:31am

Unless we can make Australia an economic powerhouse first, then the concept of a large Australian population is poor.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print