Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
You know there's crocs in there? (Read 1155 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

You know there's crocs in there?
Mar 25th, 2017 at 10:15pm

'You know there's crocs there' says teen bitten after jumping in river

An Australian teenager who was bitten by a crocodile when he jumped into a river in northern Queensland on a dare is now recovering in hospital and looking forward to a date with the British backpacker he was trying to impress.

Lee De Paauw, 18, had met Sophie Paterson while drinking at with a group of friends into the early hours of Sunday morning at a backpackers' hostel in Innisfail in northern Queensland.

According to local media, De Paauw told Paterson that backpackers were more likely to get eaten by crocodiles than Australians, and was ready to back up his words.

Accepting a dare to jump from the wharf into the crocodile-infested Johnstone River, he was grabbed almost immediately by a crocodile.

"At that point, I punched it in the snout", De Paauw said from his hospital bed in Cairns. "My second hit, I got it straight in the eye, and then it let go."

De Paauw suffered serious injuries to his left arm and underwent surgery at Cairns Hospital.

"I think he's very brave to be, you know, in such high spirits after what happened," said Paterson, who said she has agreed to go on a date with De Paauw.

"She's beautiful, caring and kind," said De Paauw.

Asked to account for his own actions, De Paauw was under no illusions.

"Stupidity," De Paauw said, "You know there's crocs there."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-crocodile-idUSKBN16S0AB

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Re: You know there's crocs in there?
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 10:20pm

He got the girl. Well-done.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 10:23pm

Nothing like a bit of machismo to woo the ladies.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:00am

A few war wound scars to impress the girls. I wonder if it was a Freshy, they are named after that river..

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 8:39am

Freshwater crocodiles are not native to the east cost. For some reason there is a popular misconception that they are. I was once told by a farmer at the southern edge of croc territory that it is safe to swim in the river because there are only freshies in there.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 10:47am

There is no cure for the young man stupidity syndrome. Fortunately most grow out of it unscathed, although they may have "scathed" other people along the way.

But, unfortunately, I can see signs of an outbreak among the new generations of young women too.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:22am

I hope he does not go on to breed.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:51pm

"Hey, watch this!" A preface to an oversight.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 5:35pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 8:39am:
Freshwater crocodiles are not native to the east cost. For some reason there is a popular misconception that they are. I was once told by a farmer at the southern edge of croc territory that it is safe to swim in the river because there are only freshies in there.

Fair enough, not named after the Johnstone river either.

Quote:
When Gerard Krefft named the species in 1873, he intended to commemorate the man who first reported it to him, Australian policeman and naturalist Robert Arthur Johnstone (1843-1905).[4][5] However, Krefft made an error in writing the name, and for many years the species has been known as C. johnsoni. Recent studies of Krefft's papers have determined the correct spelling of the name, and much of the literature has been updated to the correct usage. However, both versions still exist. According to the rules of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, the epithet johnsoni (rather than the intended johnstoni) is correct.[4][6]
[url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Crocodylus_johnstoni_r
ange.png/220px-Crocodylus_johnstoni_range.png[/url]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_crocodile

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 5:54pm

Bull sh1t. They are 'from' the east coast 'Crocodylus johnsoni' is named after the Johnstone river in Innisfail.

You know you can google this sh1t before you post.

And you are unlikely to be 'taken' by a 5 foot freshie no matter what sh1t you're been told.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 5:57pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:00am:
A few war wound scars to impress the girls. I wonder if it was a Freshy, they are named after that river..

It was a saltie and a big one too. Since killing stopped in the 70's big salties have been parking up in all the major rivers around all major towns and cities of North Queensland.

Until they start taking southerners in the Brisbane River they will be allowed to go unchecked.

I used to swim in a lot of those rivers up north, but I wouldn't go near them these days, without a boat.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 1:32pm

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 5:54pm:

Bull sh1t. They are 'from' the east coast 'Crocodylus johnsoni' is named after the Johnstone river in Innisfail.

You know you can google this sh1t before you post.

And you are unlikely to be 'taken' by a 5 foot freshie no matter what sh1t you're been told.

Thanks Bigol. Did you follow your own advice and do a quick fact check on google before posting?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print