Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
I tells ya....Uber be ferked. (Read 13990 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Re: I tells ya....Uber be ferked.
Reply #60 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:09pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 30th, 2017 at 9:11am:
What neither of you have addressed is the plain fact that none of the Ubers has made an operating profit.  Uber itself has lost billions.

Further, as things stand, an Uber driver is making about $4.00 per hour and is trashing his car at the same time.  When they are required to meet the same regulations ( and costs) as Cab that will drop to a negative and will be the end of them.

I don't care about the operating profit.   What I do now is that I have used Uber around 10 times in Cairns over the past three weeks and have been extremely satisfied with the service, the cost and the presentation of the vehicle and the drivers.    Uber drivers in Cairns have increased from around 9 when the service started to over 30 when I left on Friday.  All I have spoken too are more than happy with the money they have received from the Company.

I looked through your previous postings on this Aussie and declined to post because all I read was "alleged" in the "evidence" posted.

So lets look at Uber against Taxis.

I need to go to the Airport from  my Hotel in Cairns.   I use a very friendly Uber App on my phone that shows me the route to the airport that will be taken, the price range cost (in this case between 7 and 10 dollars), the driver's name, type of car and his rego.  It also shows me a rating that has been voluntarily given by previous passengers about the service he has given.  His car must be less than 10 years old and be capable of carrying 4 people plus luggage.  I know the Uber Driver has had to have his car certified safe to drive (paid for by Uber) and police checks have been carried out against the driver.   I pay no other charges

Taxis

I call a Taxi and on arrival am charged an immediate pick up charge of around $4.50 and $2 for the booking I made by phone.  I am then taken on a metered route that may or may not be the quickest or most efficient route for that time.  I am charged a fee for my bags, any tolls and any airport charges.   For this exercise the total cost is over $30.   I know that the vehicle is also safe, the driver probably has passed police checks etc.  I have no idea of what other people think of this driver in terms of his service.

You and I will be diametrically opposed on Uber Aussie and that is understandable.  You provide the an alternative taxi service service to Uber, I use both and I will support Uber more and more as it expands.  The insurance issues  and people suffering paraplegic instances and being basically ignored is the usual scare mongering that as consumers we are becoming used to from an industry that has become bloated, overpriced and now faces competition.

Uber may well fail here Aussie - I don't think so after talking to many of their drivers - but something will replace it.  Just as Ansett died and a few successors tried and failed to fill the gap, a provider will come along (like Virgin in that example) and provide an alternative.

As for rideshare insurance:

http://www.insuremyrideshare.com.au/

"Certificate of Currency

Rideshare operators require drivers to obtain the correct insurance and have an insurance certificate. All our policies come delivered with your certificate to show you've got the right cover."

On the subject of cars:

I can go out and buy a brand new Honda Jazz for $17000 - this car mets Uber's requirements.  If I buy it now, I can claim the various taxes back under Hockey's $20000 "tradie" rebate.    All my running, service, insurance, fuel, loan costs, phone and software  and other costs are tax deductible, even the mints and water each Uber driver I have ridden with carry in their cars.   I keep most of the dollars I make each trip.   A taxi Driver can't do most of that - but you as an owner can.   Can you see why many taxi drivers are going to Uber Aussie?
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:37pm by Vic »  

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 5:51pm

Vic wrote on Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:09pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 30th, 2017 at 9:11am:
What neither of you have addressed is the plain fact that none of the Ubers has made an operating profit.  Uber itself has lost billions.

Further, as things stand, an Uber driver is making about $4.00 per hour and is trashing his car at the same time.  When they are required to meet the same regulations ( and costs) as Cab that will drop to a negative and will be the end of them.

I don't care about the operating profit.   What I do now is that I have used Uber around 10 times in Cairns over the past three weeks and have been extremely satisfied with the service, the cost and the presentation of the vehicle and the drivers.    Uber drivers in Cairns have increased from around 9 when the service started to over 30 when I left on Friday.  All I have spoken too are more than happy with the money they have received from the Company.

Of course.  That is exactly how Guber operates!  Those 9 drivers were on incentives of hundreds of dollars to get other drivers and on the pyramid builds,  until there are no more because they have run out of gullible mates feeding off the same circle of mates, and they then have to exist with zero incentive and just earn what they can driving.

Quote:
I looked through your previous postings on this Aussie and declined to post because all I read was "alleged" in the "evidence" posted.

Nothing alleged about 99.9% of what I have posted.

Quote:
So lets look at Uber against Taxis.

Okay.

Quote:
I need to go to the Airport from  my Hotel in Cairns.   I use a very friendly Uber App on my phone that shows me the route to the airport that will be taken, the price range cost (in this case between 7 and 10 dollars), the driver's name, type of car and his rego.

Cairns Cabs have an app which does exactly the same thing. 

Quote:
It also shows me a rating that has been voluntarily given by previous passengers about the service he has given.

Rubbish.  That is controlled at Guber HQ and they are never going to poo-poo their drivers, unless they have a vast surplus.  I never took you to be so gullible.

Quote:
His car must be less than 10 years old and be capable of carrying 4 people plus luggage.

Whereas Cabs must be less than SIX years old, and equally capable and more. 

Quote:
I know the Uber Driver has had to have his car certified safe to drive (paid for by Uber)

This too is rubbish.  No Guber in Qld has ever been anywhere near a Government mechanical test, but that is shortly going to change.

Quote:
.....and police checks have been carried out against the driver.

I am unclear on this.  That was never the case until perhaps recently in Qld.

Quote:
I pay no other charges

I accept that because Guber is absorbing those and that is part of why it is throwing billions (that is not alleged) into a black hole.

Quote:
Taxis

I call a Taxi and on arrival am charged an immediate pick up charge of around $4.50 and $2 for the booking I made by phone.

Correct.  Someone has to pay the wage of the young Lady who took your call to ask for a Cab.  With Guber, there is no such employed young Lady.  There is a robot. 

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 6:08pm

Quote:
[quote]I am then taken on a metered route that may or may not be the quickest or most efficient route for that time.

I'm sure you have a smart phone so you can live check the route.

Quote:
I am charged a fee for my bags, any tolls and any airport charges.   For this exercise the total cost is over $30.

You are not charged a fee for luggage at all.  If you were, report it to Qld Transport.

Quote:
I know that the vehicle is also safe, the driver probably has passed police checks etc.

Nothing 'probable' about it.  100% guaranteed.  Those Police checks are the cause of hold-ups in getting new Cab drivers authorised.

Quote:
I have no idea of what other people think of this driver in terms of his service.

You do.  If he had been the subject of relevant complaints from passengers, he would have been booted by the Cairns Cab Mob.

Quote:
]You and I will be diametrically opposed on Uber Aussie and that is understandable.  You provide the an alternative taxi service service to Uber, I use both and I will support Uber more and more as it expands.  The insurance issues  and people suffering paraplegic instances and being basically ignored is the usual scare mongering that as consumers we are becoming used to from an industry that has become bloated, overpriced and now faces competition.

Nothing bloated about it.  We meet Government imposed regulations which come at a cost and that includes paying for proper commercial use insurance which Guber does not.  When that chit hit the fan, you attitude will change big time.

Quote:
As for rideshare insurance:

http://www.insuremyrideshare.com.au/

"Certificate of Currency

Rideshare operators require drivers to obtain the correct insurance and have an insurance certificate. All our policies come delivered with your certificate to show you've got the right cover."

So, how come they are all operating using the same 'private use' insurance you pay......when it costs me TEN times that to have the correct insurance for COMMERCIAL use.

Quote:
On the subject of cars:

I can go out and buy a brand new Honda Jazz for $17000 - this car mets Uber's requirements.  If I buy it now, I can claim the various taxes back under Hockey's $20000 "tradie" rebate.    All my running, service, insurance, fuel, loan costs, phone and software  and other costs are tax deductible, even the mints and water each Uber driver I have ridden with carry in their cars.

Cute.  I get exactly the same entitlements.

Quote:
I keep most of the dollars I make each trip.   A taxi Driver can't do most of that - but you as an owner can.

There you have it.  Proof absolute you just do not know.  The Cab driver gets 50% of the gross take and that is all his.  The other 50% goes to the owner who has to pay ALL the bills.....All of them without exception, including fuel and driver income insurance. 

The word count knocked off your coment about Cabbies becoming Gubers.  What you do not know is how many come back when the pyramid sell scheme fails and they have woken up to how they are losing money big time.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #63 - May 1st, 2017 at 1:05pm

Charming!

Link.

Police checks you said, Vic?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - May 1st, 2017 at 1:40pm

Yes Vic, those Gubers are very happy little vegemites, aren't they.  Oops, maybe not!

Link.

Quote:
1. Fair pay. Base rates must be consulted with drivers before any major changes to the price are being made. Rates must allow for proper car maintenance, petrol, deprecation, services and odd major repairs while leaving drivers with at least minimum wage.
Most drivers in Victoria are making a loss driving at current base rates.

It is RSDU’s view that current base rates should be immediately increased and be brought in line with Sydney rates. Some flexibility in rates must also be allowed to compensate for wide petrol price fluctuations.

.....and read the entire list.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #65 - May 1st, 2017 at 6:25pm

Aussie wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 1:40pm:
Yes Vic, those Gubers are very happy little vegemites, aren't they.  Oops, maybe not!

Link.

Quote:
1. Fair pay. Base rates must be consulted with drivers before any major changes to the price are being made. Rates must allow for proper car maintenance, petrol, deprecation, services and odd major repairs while leaving drivers with at least minimum wage.

It is RSDU’s view that current base rates should be immediately increased and be brought in line with Sydney rates. Some flexibility in rates must also be allowed to compensate for wide petrol price fluctuations.

Roll Eyes

I have no problem with any of that Aussie.  If the Uber drivers are lobbying for an increase then they have the right to do so - just like any other employee of a company.  As a Company, Uber would be silly not to listen to their Employees and take their concerns on board.  Nobody in their right mind works to lose money and those that feel the cons outweigh the pros will move on, just as in any business

I am a USER of the service Aussie so,  as long as it delivers my perception of value for money and effective service delivery then I will use it.  The people who drove the cars I travelled in were mostly satisfied with the Job.  My sample size was only around 10 drivers so I can only pass on their opinions    Also, if the Uber Price and the Taxi price eventually become the same then it all boils down to a question of time to pick me up.

Did you know that Uber are also about to move into the private plane passenger business?    A pilot flying from A to B can put his information on Uber and potential passengers can put their travel requirements on there as well.  Challenging, but doable.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #66 - May 1st, 2017 at 6:37pm

Vic wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 6:25pm:

Link.

Quote:

Roll Eyes

I have no problem with any of that Aussie.  If the Uber drivers are lobbying for an increase then they have the right to do so - just like any other employee of a company.  As a Company, Uber would be silly not to listen to their Employees and take their concerns on board.  Nobody in their right mind works to lose money and those that feel the cons outweigh the pros will move on, just as in any business

I am a USER of the service Aussie so,  as long as it delivers my perception of value for money and effective service delivery then I will use it.  The people who drove the cars I travelled in were mostly satisfied with the Job.  My sample size was only around 10 drivers so I can only pass on their opinions    Also, if the Uber Price and the Taxi price eventually become the same then it all boils down to a question of time to pick me up.

Did you know that Uber are also about to move into the private plane passenger business?    A pilot flying from A to B can put his information on Uber and potential passengers can put their travel requirements on there as well.  Challenging, but doable.

You are not listening are you.  The Gubers (and Guber will fight to the death to seek a declaration their drivers are not their employees as you call them) have woken up to the fact they are not making a cent.....in fact...they are losing dollars and you exploit them.

Carry on in your ignorance Vic.  No skin off my nose.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #67 - May 1st, 2017 at 6:55pm

Aussie wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 6:37pm:
Vic wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 6:25pm:

Link.

Quote:

Roll Eyes

You are not listening are you.  The Gubers (and Guber will fight to the death to seek a declaration their drivers are not their employees as you call them) have woken up to the fact they are not making a cent.....in fact...they are losing dollars and you exploit them.

Aussie, I am a USER of the service.  I don't give a stuff about the machinations of Uber and Taxis.   If an Uber driver feels his expectations are not being met then fine - he leaves.  If the service is available and is cheaper than Taxis, I will use it.     Why do you struggle with this?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - May 1st, 2017 at 7:21pm

I don't struggle with it at all Vic.  You are exploiting slave labour, and still, you defend it.

As I said....carry on.

Don't listen to the Gubers who have realised what they have done.

You'll be okay Vic, and that's all which matters.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #69 - May 2nd, 2017 at 8:46am

Aussie wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 7:21pm:
I don't struggle with it at all Vic.  You are exploiting slave labour, and still, you defend it.

As I said....carry on.

Oh the feigned outrage and wringing of hands!   Your diatribe and posturing  would be a lot more genuine if it weren't for the fact that you have an investment in the taxi industry via taxi plates!    You stand to lose a lot of money as your investment falls in value, but you want people to believe you have a "genuine" interest in Uber drivers and their welfare?   

Uber has well and truely settled down in many countries around the world Aussie, just as it will here.   Why not sell the plates whilst you can still make a profit and drive for them yourself?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:30am

Aussie wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 6:37pm:
[

exploiting drivers, terrible. Are they taking half their income?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:32am

Vic wrote on May 2nd, 2017 at 8:46am:
   Why not sell the plates whilst you can still make a profit and drive for them yourself?
Theres no buyers for taxi plates Australia wide, they are a failed investment. They are like video rental shops, an industry which is (was) inevitably doomed.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #72 - May 2nd, 2017 at 12:18pm

As I said....carry on.

Oh the feigned outrage and wringing of hands!   Your diatribe and posturing  would be a lot more genuine if it weren't for the fact that you have an investment in the taxi industry via taxi plates!    You stand to lose a lot of money as your investment falls in value, but you want people to believe you have a "genuine" interest in Uber drivers and their welfare?   

Uber has well and truely settled down in many countries around the world Aussie, just as it will here.   Why not sell the plates whilst you can still make a profit and drive for them yourself?

Own it Vic.  You are exploiting victims, and could not care less, other than you save a few bucks from using that 'slave' labour.  Does not matter what I believe.  I am not exploiting anyone.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - May 2nd, 2017 at 12:20pm

Aussie wrote on May 2nd, 2017 at 12:18pm:

As I said....carry on.

Own it Vic.  You are exploiting victims, and could not care less, other than you save a few bucks from using that 'slave' labour.  Does not matter what I believe.  I am not exploiting anyone.

Your whole business model was based on exploiting drivers.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #74 - May 2nd, 2017 at 12:22pm

Incorrect.  They get 50% and pay zero of the expenses....not a zack.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print