Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
I tells ya....Uber be ferked. (Read 13988 times)
SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Re: I tells ya....Uber be ferked.
Reply #165 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 1:44pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:28am:
Sure, but they were not operating as though they were Taxis.  They too were heavily controlled, regulated and licensed by Government.

But these days anything that takes business away from Taxis should be considered their competition.

On the Gold Coast I'd used Taxis for short interstate trips to get to the airport in the past.  These days door to door the fare is around $140 to the Gold Coast airport, not even Brisbane. 

Soon the light rail will link to the main rail line and the Gold Coast airport and the main rail line itself to the airport too. 

Even before ride sharing apps, if I would travel for 2 or 3 nights it's still far cheaper to drive, park in the offsite parking near the airport and take their shuttle to the terminal.

And on the Gold Coast we even have a tourist shuttle bus that goes around the major hotels and resorts, theme parks and the airport.  I'm lucky there is a tourist park 5mins walk from home so I can use the tourist shuttle to and from the airport for $30.

And trying to get a Taxi late at night on a Friday or Saturday night, 2+ hours waiting at the taxi rank.  Come new years, if you're in town, it's quicker to walk home (2.5 hours, and you're drunk enough to do it) than wait for a taxi.

People have been begging for alternatives for a long time.  Ride Sharing was looking like it would fill that need, but those who started it quickly cashed out and all the industry cares about now is money.

They've become like the Taxi industry.

The problem is for Taxis to compete with what makes ride sharing more popular, they wouldn't be sustainable or people would lose 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars on the decreased value of their plates.  There is also a massive tech divide too.  Payment is a pain and there are still booking fees and other charges.  Sure they exist in Uber too, but it doesn't cost anywhere near as much as a taxi fare.

It's a real pickle we're in.

At least on the Gold Coast, even with the improving public transport, you need a car.  It's a must.  And because of that, our roads are stuffed. 

The Government need to step in and regulate ride sharing, BUT, if their intention is nothing more than to protect their imposed taxi monopolies, any attempt they make in regulation will be a fail.

I suspect this is what the taxi lobby and advocates want.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #166 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 1:50pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 1:34pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:29am:
Two 'Uber' rapes in a week and in both cases, Plod believes there are other victims.

Link.

Still, no security cameras in Ubers.

Grubs.

I am in no why defending the likes of that scum, but you do realise there are literally 100s of stories in a quick google search of Taxi Drivers being found guilty of crimes?

That said, if the Government will enact legislation around ride sharing I hope they include measures designed to protect the drivers and their passengers.

I have always acknowledged the scum in the Cab Industry.  Never have denied it.

But, in a Cab there is the deterrent of a camera active 24/7.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #167 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 1:52pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 1:44pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:28am:
Sure, but they were not operating as though they were Taxis.  They too were heavily controlled, regulated and licensed by Government.

But these days anything that takes business away from Taxis should be considered their competition.

On the Gold Coast I'd used Taxis for short interstate trips to get to the airport in the past.  These days door to door the fare is around $140 to the Gold Coast airport, not even Brisbane. 

Soon the light rail will link to the main rail line and the Gold Coast airport and the main rail line itself to the airport too. 

Even before ride sharing apps, if I would travel for 2 or 3 nights it's still far cheaper to drive, park in the offsite parking near the airport and take their shuttle to the terminal.

And on the Gold Coast we even have a tourist shuttle bus that goes around the major hotels and resorts, theme parks and the airport.  I'm lucky there is a tourist park 5mins walk from home so I can use the tourist shuttle to and from the airport for $30.

And trying to get a Taxi late at night on a Friday or Saturday night, 2+ hours waiting at the taxi rank.  Come new years, if you're in town, it's quicker to walk home (2.5 hours, and you're drunk enough to do it) than wait for a taxi.

People have been begging for alternatives for a long time.  Ride Sharing was looking like it would fill that need, but those who started it quickly cashed out and all the industry cares about now is money.

They've become like the Taxi industry.

The problem is for Taxis to compete with what makes ride sharing more popular, they wouldn't be sustainable or people would lose 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars on the decreased value of their plates.  There is also a massive tech divide too.  Payment is a pain and there are still booking fees and other charges.  Sure they exist in Uber too, but it doesn't cost anywhere near as much as a taxi fare.

It's a real pickle we're in.

At least on the Gold Coast, even with the improving public transport, you need a car.  It's a must.  And because of that, our roads are stuffed. 

The Government need to step in and regulate ride sharing, BUT, if their intention is nothing more than to protect their imposed taxi monopolies, any attempt they make in regulation will be a fail.

I suspect this is what the taxi lobby and advocates want.

No, all we want is a level playing field, and if that involves diminution in 'plate' value, Government pays the appropriate pre-Uber compensation.  It was Government which issued and received hundreds of thousands of dollars for those Government issued 'plates.'

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #168 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 12:32pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:29am:
Two 'Uber' rapes in a week and in both cases, Plod believes there are other victims.

Link.

Still, no security cameras in Ubers.

Grubs.

And there was at least one other victim.

Link.

Quote:
An Uber driver has been charged over the rape of another passenger just weeks after he appeared in a Brisbane court for a similar offences.

Queensland police said on Wednesday the 47-year-old man had been charged with the rape and deprivation of liberty of a teenage girl in Ipswich, west of Brisbane, on September 4, 2015.

He appeared in court earlier this month accused of raping a different young passenger three times.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #169 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 2:54pm

And they are still at it.

Link.

Quote:
Ride-booking service Uber is at the centre of another controversy after a Brisbane driver allegedly refused to let a passenger out of his vehicle.

A 25-year-old woman booked the Uber to take her from her home address at Paddington to Fortitude Valley about 11:00pm, in what should have been a 10-minute trip, and became worried when the driver refused to pull over.

Instead the man allegedly continued to drive in what police describe as "a concerning manner" for more than an hour, travelling around New Farm then through the Clem 7 tunnel to Brisbane's southside.

As the woman tried to get the attention of other motorists, the Uber finally pulled over on the M1 and police were called.

A 45-year-old Logan Central man will face court in Brisbane next month charged with deprivation of liberty.

The woman was not physically injured.

The incident is the latest in a string of controversies involving Uber drivers with police also investigating three alleged sexual assaults.

The Qld Govt cannot keep ignoring this.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #170 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 4:22pm

Gee, who would have thought that Uber needed to cheat, huh?

Link.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #171 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 8:28pm

Not just Cabbies crapping where they ought not!

Link.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #172 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 4:02pm

Uber on the nose in London.  Gee....who'd a predicted it.........oh I know......me!

Link.

Quote:
Uber is not “fit and proper” to continue operating in the Capital.

“Not fit and proper.” For the benefit of American readers, that’s the second most damning indictment in British english -- five whole levels worse than “not up to snuff”, two higher than “acting like a bunch of tossers” and only a hairsbreadth lower than the worst possible ranking: “bang out of order.”

The result: Absent a successful appeal, Uber will no longer be able to operate in the one remaining European market in which Travis Kalanick et al are not entirely, irredeemably despised.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #173 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:38pm

I know..sexual assault by Cabbies is not unknown but this is really starting to stack up on Uber.

Link.

Quote:
A Gold Coast Uber driver has been charged with the rape of a female passenger.

Police said the 20-year-old woman ordered a ride-sharing vehicle at Surfers Paradise about 1:00am on Saturday, September 23.

It is alleged the driver stopped the car during the journey and sexually assaulted the woman.

The driver, a 24-year-old Coombabah man, faced the Southport Magistrates Court today on one count of rape and common assault.

He was remanded in custody until his next court date on October 10.

It is the fifth sexual assault charge to be laid against Uber drivers by police in south-east Queensland in recent months.

Police said the cases were not linked.

The
fifth
...and
none linked
with another.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #174 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:45pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:38pm:
I know..sexual assault by Cabbies is not unknown but this is really starting to stack up on Uber.

Link.

Quote:
A Gold Coast Uber driver has been charged with the rape of a female passenger.

Police said the 20-year-old woman ordered a ride-sharing vehicle at Surfers Paradise about 1:00am on Saturday, September 23.

It is alleged the driver stopped the car during the journey and sexually assaulted the woman.

The driver, a 24-year-old Coombabah man, faced the Southport Magistrates Court today on one count of rape and common assault.

He was remanded in custody until his next court date on October 10.

It is the fifth sexual assault charge to be laid against Uber drivers by police in south-east Queensland in recent months.

Police said the cases were not linked.

The
fifth
...and
none linked
with another.

Are they tinted with big black unkempt beards Aussie?

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #175 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:55pm

Quote:

No idea.  Can't see what/why it matters.  They are Uber's 'partners.'

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #176 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 5:02pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:55pm:
Quote:

No idea.  Can't see what/why it matters.  They are Uber's 'partners.'

I suspect Herb can explain!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print