Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
I tells ya....Uber be ferked. (Read 13996 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: I tells ya....Uber be ferked.
Reply #150 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 1:41pm

I know the Taxi Industry has its rogues but if you reckon you are safe in an Uber, think again. 

Link.

Quote:
Police said a man aged in his late 40s had been charged with three counts of rape and one count each of stealing and wilful damage.

Acting Inspector David Farley said the victim came forward to police.

He said the suspect may have had other victims over the last two years.

Sure, they get Transport Dept checks, but that's it.  Zero other security measures.  We have many and just one is that every Cab Company and Cab owner can track their Cabs live.  We know what speed they are doing, exactly where they are  and whether they have the meter on.

Not so with Uber.  They can hide where they are from Uber HQ.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #151 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 2:32pm

Yet despite all the claims you make people still choose Uber over the Taxis of old.  Something is wrong, you're right about that, but it may not be limited to where you think.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #152 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 2:49pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jul 8th, 2017 at 2:32pm:
Yet despite all the claims you make people still choose Uber over the Taxis of old.  Something is wrong, you're right about that, but it may not be limited to where you think.

I know exactly what is wrong.  Government expected this nice new toy to place nice, to be benevolent, to be a cheap service provider, a safe new thing for the plebs to play with....and they did nothing to control them despite being constantly reminded by the Taxi Industry of the obvious....we were heavily regulated (willingly in most cases) to maximise public safety, so why were those regulations imposed on the basis of public safety no longer necessary......for the shiney new toy?

It has taking them ages to realise they stuffed up, and it is only now that Government has realised it has made a serious blunder.

I've used the example before.  What do you reckon Government would do if I started selling cheap booze out of the boot of my car at public events and places?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2017 at 3:11pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #153 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 1:14pm

Silly suckers.

Link.

Dunno if it is in the article, but Uber sucks these vulnerable people in, arranging finance for them when they otherwise would not have a snow flakes chance of getting it.

From that moment, the duped are at Uber's (lack of) mercy.

Just grubs they be.  Throw away the Uber app people.  Don't deal with them!

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #154 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:22pm

Because the taxi cartels aren't interested in gaining customers by improving their product - only by trying to keep other players out.

If taxis had a great product the vast majority of people wouldn't bother with ride-sharing and it would have died years ago. Instead, we have an industry full of plate holders more concerned about the value of their asset than they are about running a taxi service.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #155 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:28pm

Stig wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:22pm:

Because the taxi cartels aren't interested in gaining customers by improving their product - only by trying to keep other players out.

If taxis had a great product the vast majority of people wouldn't bother with ride-sharing and it would have died years ago. Instead, we have an industry full of plate holders more concerned about the value of their asset than they are about running a taxi service.

Do you blame them though? The cost of the plates are exorbitant and much like the housing boom, there is no easy fix.  You either help though that come after and hurt those who came before, or you protect those who came first and hurt those trying to come after.

I'm not trying to defend the taxi industry or ride sharing, but I can see why people take sides on this issue.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #156 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:28pm

No.  What we have is a con-job pulled by an International Outlaw who bought the suckers in with what they thought were cheap fares.  Now, all the weaknesses and rorts are now coming to the surface, it is crumbling faster than it always would, because the business model means throwing billions into a vortex.  That cannot be sustained.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2017 at 1:56pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #157 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:17pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:28pm:

Do you blame them though? The cost of the plates are exorbitant and much like the housing boom, there is no easy fix.  You either help though that come after and hurt those who came before, or you protect those who came first and hurt those trying to come after.

I'm not trying to defend the taxi industry or ride sharing, but I can see why people take sides on this issue.

I understand why plate owners take the side they do, but when you look at transport as an industry and where it's going vs the public perception of the taxi industry, you have to question why anyone would spend megabucks speculating on the value of taxi plates.

Uber isn't the first competitor, and won't be the last. Taxis are stuck trading off an ever shrinking point of difference. And that's before driverless cars become mainstream and smash everything

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #158 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:26pm

Stig, you really have no idea what you are talking about.  i have over quite some time tried to inform you, but you choose blinkers, so I see little point in making any further attempt with you.

Quote:
Uber isn't the first competitor, and won't be the last.

Uber was the first to enter the market, blatantly and outrageously flout Laws, bluff Government with huge pockets and almost get away with it.

The shiney new toy is fast losing its pathetic sheen.

Your concern or the concern you ought have for others is ~ how much left of a viable Taxi Industry will there be, when Uber implodes.

Right now, the disabled (not serviced by Uber) are feeling the pinch with fewer wheel chair Cabs being on the road through lack of drivers.  They are parked up when they are needed by these people.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #159 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:51pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:26pm:
Stig, you really have no idea what you are talking about.  i have over quite some time tried to inform you, but you choose blinkers, so I see little point in making any further attempt with you.

Quote:

Uber was the first to enter the market, blatantly and outrageously flout Laws, bluff Government with huge pockets and almost get away with it.

The fact that you see the only competitor to taxis as "Uber", or even ride sharing app companies in general, speaks volumes about how little you understand about the issue.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #160 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:54pm

Stig wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:51pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:26pm:

Quote:

The fact that you see the only competitor to taxis as "Uber", or even ride sharing app companies in general, speaks volumes about how little you understand about the issue.

Happy to be educated.  Who else do you say was "in competition" with Cabs before Uber?

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #161 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 8:09am

Aussie wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:54pm:
Happy to be educated.  Who else do you say was "in competition" with Cabs before Uber?

Shuttle services for one. 20 years ago there were bugger all, now the airport is swimming with them. And they run pretty much everywhere - to and from airports, footy matches, cruise terminals, concerts etc. Ever wonder why there's so few of the old "maxi taxis" left?

Then there's the various "limo" services. Last time someone ran into my car a few years back and I put it in for repairs, the insurer gave me a limo (basically an upmarket car, not a stretch job or anything) to and from my office. Some corporates now do deals with limo companies because they can get set fares at basically the same price as a cab.

And inner-city types are taking up car shares which are cheaper than cabs and actually get you somewhere (as cabbies hate short fares and often wont show).

All of these are perfectly legal, were around before Uber, and are taking market share away from taxis.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #162 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:28am

Stig wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 8:09am:
Aussie wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:54pm:

Shuttle services for one. 20 years ago there were bugger all, now the airport is swimming with them. And they run pretty much everywhere - to and from airports, footy matches, cruise terminals, concerts etc. Ever wonder why there's so few of the old "maxi taxis" left?

Then there's the various "limo" services. Last time someone ran into my car a few years back and I put it in for repairs, the insurer gave me a limo (basically an upmarket car, not a stretch job or anything) to and from my office. Some corporates now do deals with limo companies because they can get set fares at basically the same price as a cab.

And inner-city types are taking up car shares which are cheaper than cabs and actually get you somewhere (as cabbies hate short fares and often wont show).

All of these are perfectly legal, were around before Uber, and are taking market share away from taxis.

Sure, but they were not operating as though they were Taxis.  They too were heavily controlled, regulated and licensed by Government.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #163 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:29am

Two 'Uber' rapes in a week and in both cases, Plod believes there are other victims.

Link.

Still, no security cameras in Ubers.

Grubs.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #164 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 1:34pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:29am:
Two 'Uber' rapes in a week and in both cases, Plod believes there are other victims.

Link.

Still, no security cameras in Ubers.

Grubs.

I am in no why defending the likes of that scum, but you do realise there are literally 100s of stories in a quick google search of Taxi Drivers being found guilty of crimes?

That said, if the Government will enact legislation around ride sharing I hope they include measures designed to protect the drivers and their passengers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print