Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print
I tells ya....Uber be ferked. (Read 13987 times)
Ramp7

Australian Politics

Re: I tells ya....Uber be ferked.
Reply #120 - May 31st, 2017 at 9:13pm

Aussie wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 9:09pm:
Yes, and it will be bankrupt inside ten years.  It is totally unsustainable.

Quote:
Everybody loves Uber
it's
the way off the future.

That's also a familiar fault.

In 10 years there will be something better than Uber and a million times better than smells cabs.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #121 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:37pm

$708 Million loss in the USA.  More rats desert the holed ship.

Uber be ferked, I tells ya!

Link.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #122 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:44pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:37pm:

Link.

Have you got cabs in America bushy?

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #123 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:48pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:44pm:

Link.

No.  How is that relevant?  Do you reckon Uber Australia will be any different except as to quantum?

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #124 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:51pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:48pm:

Link.

No.  How is that relevant?  Do you reckon Uber Australia will be any different except as to quantum?

Just found it strange that you are whining on about something that doesn't affect you........on reflection.....its not strange, you whine about everything.....

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #125 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:55pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:51pm:

Link.

Just found it strange that you are whining on about something that doesn't affect you........on reflection.....its not strange, you whine about everything.....

If its making loses in the USA,  it is making losses everywhere.  It simply cannot last.  It is totally unsustainable.  The business model is completely flawed....obviously.

If you were a shareholder, you'd be furious.

It is just another, but giant, Ponzi.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #126 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:56pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 3:51pm:

Link.

I think Uber vs Taxis around the world is relevant.

I feel for those in our local taxi industries that are hurting because of actions they have no control over, but Uber has shown there are better ways to handle business.  Some good, some bad.  The future will be a meld of the two models, but who comes out on top, I think while Uber's losses are certainly real, look at how many people are trying to sell their taxi plates.

It's not a good sign.  Yes Uber may be in trouble, but can the taxi industry as we know it survive long enough to be the last man standing or will the Uber clones be the final nails in the coffin?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #127 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:09pm

Governments will soon have to confront the fact they are allowing a nonviable yet new toy stuff what was a perfectly functioning small business activity in a successful industry which was, in Qld, delivering precisely what Government regulated it to deliver.  The next election will be very interesting as the Industry mobilises as it never has before, but was trialed in Longman in the last Federal election and we saw Wyatt Roy booted.  Watch that space.

IP Logged

Ramp7

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:25pm

Perhaps if individual cab owners ran their business to a higher standard Uber would never have been able to get a foothold.

In NSW, particularly Sydney cabs are a disgrace. They smell, the drivers don't know where they're going and their driving skills are atrocious.

Since the introduction of Uber all the cab industry has done is piss and moan instead of putting their energy into improving service.

While I feel sorry for the individuals who've lost money on their taxi plate it needs to be put in context that it's an investment and with self driving cars on the horizon, the value of taxi plates looks bleak.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #129 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:37pm

Uber may be buggered but so is the taxi industry as you know it. Uber was the first of many. 

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #130 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:45pm

Yeah, as much as it may be difficult for some to accept, the Taxi industry had become complacent and left the door open for something like Uber to come along.  It's not fair to brand all the individual operators that way, but so many people I've spoken to prefer Uber and the risks involved because they've had such bad experiences with normal taxis.

It's not enough just to attack Uber, they need to fix their own issues too.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #131 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:48pm

Damn straight, I wouldn't go back to taxis with my own money.  I still use taxis though but that is cabcharges and locked in. Comparing both back to back is chalk and cheese.

Taxi industry had a cartel too long and got complacent.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #132 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 5:08pm

Secret Wars wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:37pm:
Uber may be buggered but so is the taxi industry as you know it. Uber was the first of many. 

I'll restrict my comments to Qld.....as I know that jurisdiction very well, others...not so well.  Here, we are not buggered, and we will not be buggered as soon as Government gets off its arse, opens its eyes, gets some competence within the Department ~ there is no-one there, in the section dealing with Uber, with more than two years experience and all the positions they occupy are casual....ergo, Government has not got a clue what it is doing, but Politicians will not be able to ignore the issue for much longer....as if they do, they'll be on their arse, just like Wyatt Roy was put on his arse.

To provide an example ~ the only Licence I now own is what was called an 'owner operator multi' Licence.  That meant (even though I hold it in a Company name.....) I, as the Director, had to do 150 shifts in the Cab each year, (or someone else in a Senior Position in the Company had to....so that condition was easily got around by appointing a regular driver as General Manager and giving them just the name, no control, to fulfill that condition.)  The 'multi' bit was that the vehicle used had to be at least a seven seater.

Because of those two conditions, the difference in value between it and one with no such conditions, was considerable...say about $150,000.00.  Out of the blue, a couple of weeks ago, I get a letter from the Department telling me that my Licence is now unconditional....as they decided to drop the two conditions I mentioned.

In pre Uber terms, they just handed me a considerable sum of money......for nothing.

They have no idea what they are doing.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 5:15pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 5:08pm:
Secret Wars wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:37pm:

I'll restrict my comments to Qld.....as I know that jurisdiction very well, others...not so well.  Here, we are not buggered, and we will not be buggered as soon as Government gets off its arse, opens its eyes, gets some competence within the Department ~ there is no-one there, in the section dealing with Uber, with more than two years experience and all the positions they occupy are casual....ergo, Government has not got a clue what it is doing, but Politicians will not be able to ignore the issue for much longer....as if they do, they'll be on their arse, just like Wyatt Roy was put on his arse.

To provide an example ~ the only Licence I now own is what was called an 'owner operator multi' Licence.  That meant (even though I hold it in a Company name.....) I, as the Director, had to do 150 shifts in the Cab each year, (or someone else in a Senior Position in the Company had to....so that condition was easily got around by appointing a regular driver as General Manager and giving them just the name, no control, to fulfill that condition.)  The 'multi' bit was that the vehicle used had to be at least a seven seater.

Because of those two conditions, the difference in value between it and one with no such conditions, was considerable...say about $150,000.00.  Out of the blue, a couple of weeks ago, I get a letter from the Department telling me that my Licence is now unconditional....as they decided to drop the two conditions I mentioned.

In pre Uber terms, they just handed me a considerable sum of money......for nothing.

They have no idea what they are doing.

Uber was just the first, there is a new taxi paradigm now, disruption innit.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #134 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 5:16pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 4:45pm:
Yeah, as much as it may be difficult for some to accept, the Taxi industry had become complacent and left the door open for something like Uber to come along.  It's not fair to brand all the individual operators that way, but so many people I've spoken to prefer Uber and the risks involved because they've had such bad experiences with normal taxis.

It's not enough just to attack Uber, they need to
fix their own issues too.

What are those issues, and you will need to refer them to Government...as Government has absolute control of the Qld Taxi Industry. 

The Taxi Industry did not leave any door open.....Uber strode in as an outlaw, completely ignored the Law, did what they wanted...and the Government pood itself, believing it was outgunned.  They stopped enforcing the Law.  The Rule of Law went out the window.  Only now, slowly, are they clawing some control back, but it will only be when there is truly a level playing field....we go down to Uber's zero control, or Uber comes up to our level of control, or Government sets a new level for all.....that the Taxi Industry will shut up.

Let's all play by the same Rules.  Simple.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print