Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
I tells ya....Uber be ferked. (Read 14006 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: I tells ya....Uber be ferked.
Reply #90 - May 31st, 2017 at 2:11pm

SadKangaroo wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 1:22pm:
If the Taxi Industry in QLD were able to offer the ease of use and payment that Uber does, with the bonus of competitive rates, I'll stop using Uber.

I had to take a Taxi to a repair centre to pick up my Ute after an insurance claim, it cost $70+ door to door.  The 3rd party insurance provider covered it, but I had to go and inspect the work before pickup the week before and the Uber cost me $25. 

It's really hard to willingly pay near $50 extra for the same service when the taxi was a 13 year old model, smelly with a falling apart interiour whereas the Uber was a clean, no odor filled 2 year old Honda Accord.

One of my neighbours is a part time Uber driver because the market is so flooded on the Gold Coast as I expect it is everywhere else.  She leaves the App running while at home and if she's quick enough to take a fare she then heads out.  She was a early adopter and it in the beginning was enough to supplement her part time income.  Now it's nothing more than a tiny sliver of the pie.

Uber has pros and cons, but the solution for the Taxi industry is to improve themselves and their image rather than attacking Uber.

I also have a friend who is sitting on his inherited taxi plates and they're worth bugger all now.

Now now!  That's a fib.  A very bad one at that.  No Taxi in Qld can be more than 6 years old, that is, until very recently when the Government (in its stupidity) dropped the age limit.  That was so recently that it simply would have been impossible for that Cab if yours to have been 13 years old.

Further, while the Govt has dropped that limit, Booking and Despatch Companies (like Yellow and Black & White) have insisted that all vehicles under their envelope must be less than six years old.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - May 31st, 2017 at 2:18pm

Further to that......yeas, during very quiet periods, Uber is cheaper than Cabs, but the instant it gets busy, Uber price surges way beyond Cab fares which are constant no matter the demand.

For example, last Saturday there was a local music festival with 15,000 attendees....mainly teenagers.  For a journey which would cost about $50.00 in a Cab, Uber had surged to $250.00......as a result, kids were ripped off by a mongrel mob who takes its profits off shore to Holland and avoids paying its share in taxes.

Ask your neighbour whether she has commercial or private insurance and CTP.  She'll have private, only, I'll bet.  Tell her to pray that she never has a prang especially one involving personal injury in which she was at fault.  Tell her she is in for a future of bankruptcy and financial ruin.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #92 - May 31st, 2017 at 2:30pm

Aussie wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 2:11pm:
Now now!  That's a fib.  A very bad one at that.  No Taxi in Qld can be more than 6 years old, that is, until very recently when the Government (in its stupidity) dropped the age limit.  That was so recently that it simply would have been impossible for that Cab if yours to have been 13 years old.

Further, while the Govt has dropped that limit, Booking and Despatch Companies (like Yellow and Black & White) have insisted that all vehicles under their envelope must be less than six years old.

Yeah I thought that was the case, but I owned a 2004 Toyota Hiace Commuter (well, I didn't have the commuter model) and that's what he was driving, it was unmistakable.  We even had a nice conversation on the way there, firstly for him thanking me for getting him out of my area (lots of old people using the taxi's to get to and from the shops, $10 fares max etc) and back close to the "CBD" (if you can consider the Gold Coast as having a CBD), and then he was telling me that it wasn't his van, he's just the driver and he didn't care about thrashing it and he thought it was an old piece of poo. 

He was explaining what "Taxi Green" was as he was a whisker from running a red light, he accelerated hard and just made it through on the Yellow.

As an FYI, there are 3 colours on the traffic lights, Green, Yellow and Taxi Green (aka Red) apparently.

I appreciate that he'd been dealing with tiny fare snowies all day so he let his tongue rip when telling me about how crappy the van was and since we're all aussies I have no problem with a taxi driver swearing etc during conversation and I could tell he'd been holding it in all morning.

He was very eager to stress that even though he was a maxi, because I only booked for one I would only get charged the standard rate, so don't let that confuse the $70 vs $25 difference either.

I honestly thought that there were age restrictions on the cars.  He was a Yellow Cab (the orange and black ones) and I thought maybe as a way to reduce regulation to help the taxi industry compete with Uber that they'd removed some of those provisions.  Clearly mine was an out of the ordinary experience then.

It's just shame that's been the last taxi I've taken for a while.  The next closest after Uber is driving to the Training Station to head up and down to Brissy, or door to door busses to the airport but even that might stop now that I've got a collection of Uber Drivers personal cards for when I need an airport run...

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2017 at 2:36pm by SadKangaroo »  

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #93 - May 31st, 2017 at 2:35pm

Aussie wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 2:18pm:
Further to that......yeas, during very quiet periods, Uber is cheaper than Cabs, but the instant it gets busy, Uber price surges way beyond Cab fares which are constant no matter the demand.

For example, last Saturday there was a local music festival with 15,000 attendees....mainly teenagers.  For a journey which would cost about $50.00 in a Cab, Uber had surged to $250.00......as a result, kids were ripped off by a mongrel mob who takes its profits off shore to Holland and avoids paying its share in taxes.

Ask your neighbour whether she has commercial or private insurance and CTP.  She'll have private, only, I'll bet.  Tell her to pray that she never has a prang especially one involving personal injury in which she was at fault.  Tell her she is in for a future of bankruptcy and financial ruin.

She had commercial to begin with when Uber started and it was part of her main source of income but we were just talking about this not so long ago, she only on Private now and questioning whether she'll even bother continuing.  People expect free water and lollies and things now and it all adds up in taking what little she gets to keep in her pocket and even less after she pays her own taxed.

But I don't use Uber enough (it's the Gold Coast, you really need a car) as I drive most of the time, I had no idea their rates would increase like that if demand is huge.  That's bullshit.

But, free market?  Certain people should love it!

I've had very few positive experiences in the last 15 years with taxi's on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane.  I've had far less Uber rides in that same time but they've all been far more positive. 

I really don't know where I sit on the "debate".  Clearly there is lots I don't know.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - May 31st, 2017 at 2:46pm

Quote:
She had commercial to begin with when Uber started

This year, I will pay around a total of $10,000.00 for proper commercial insurance and CTP.  Is that what she originally paid?  I'll bet not.  She will not have told her insurers she was running her Car as an 'Uber.'

That Maxi you were in might have looked like a 2004 model, but I can assure you, it was not.  Qld Transport see cars more than six years old off the road as a Cab.  It is impossible for that Cab to have been 13 years old.  It may have been aged and had many miles on it, but it was less than 6 years old.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #95 - May 31st, 2017 at 3:04pm

Aussie wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 2:46pm:
Quote:
She had commercial to begin with when Uber started

This year, I will pay around a total of $10,000.00 for proper commercial insurance and CTP.  Is that what she originally paid?  I'll bet not. 

Me too.

Quote:
She will not have told her insurers she was running her Car as an 'Uber.'

That Maxi you were in might have looked like a 2004 model, but I can assure you, it was not.  Qld Transport see cars more than six years old off the road as a Cab.  It is impossible for that Cab to have been 13 years old.  It may have been aged and had many miles on it, but it was less than 6 years old.

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but I had the same van, just not the commuter (with the extra seats in the back).  If I'm mistaken I'll wear that, but if I had to swear under oath what it was that I was sitting in, I'd have no issue sticking to my original claim.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #96 - May 31st, 2017 at 3:47pm

Just to assist....after six years, Transport would not have allowed the owner to re-new registration as a Cab.  Their systems automatically block.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #97 - May 31st, 2017 at 3:58pm

Aussie wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 3:47pm:
Just to assist....after six years, Transport would not have allowed the owner to re-new registration as a Cab.  Their systems automatically block.

I appreciate that. 

In that case at best, I'm mistaken and the van was not a 2004 model or at worse, my experience was one of an unscrupulous individual plate holder.  Either way, it's hardly representative of the industry as a whole, just my own anecdotal experience.

I still think that the Taxi industry needs to do more than just attack Uber.  They need to be more like Uber in some ways, and better than them (therefore less like them) and their current incarnation in others.

I've just looked at their latest app, I'm yet to install it, but it appears to make booking much easier, that's a plus.  My first experience with the Gold Coast Cabs app, it was literally an app that when you press "Book Now" it would call the 131008 number haha...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #98 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:01pm

Keep a keen eye out in the coming election campaign.

Quote:
I've just looked at their latest app, I'm yet to install it, but it appears to make booking much easier, that's a plus.  My first experience with the Gold Coast Cabs app, it was literally an app that when you press "Book Now" it would call the 131008 number haha...

We would love everyone to use our App.....but at the moment, the best we have across Australia is 14% of customers in that area using the App.  They still like to use their phone.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #99 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:11pm

Aussie wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 4:01pm:

Quote:

We would love everyone to use our App.....but at the moment, the best we have across Australia is 14% of customers in that area using the App.  They still like to use their phone.

Out of curiosity, can the app handle payment like Uber?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:18pm

SadKangaroo wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 4:11pm:

Quote:

Can't speak for what is on offer at the Gold Coast....but up here, I think there is an option to enter card details first or not.

Personally, I say it is an invasion of privacy to force people to hand over credit card details to taxi companies.  Who knows what rogue might seek to benefit from that.

I hope ours offers that choice, but I don't know....I still use the phone.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #101 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:21pm

Aussie wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 4:18pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 4:11pm:

Quote:

Can't speak for what is on offer at the Gold Coast....but up here, I think there is an option to enter card details first or not.

Personally, I say it is an invasion of privacy to force people to hand over credit card details to taxi companies.  Who knows what rogue might seek to benefit from that.

I hope ours offers that choice, but I don't know....I still use the phone.

The thing I liked the most about Uber is I can see the route the driver will take, either on their device or mine, and when I get to the destination I can just say thank you and go on my way.  I don't need to wait for them to count change, I don't need to wait for their eftpos machine to connect, just out the door.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:26pm

You can see the same thing on the Cab app.....you'll be told the Cab number, given his phone number, and you will see him on his way to you.  I think you even get an audible alert when the Cab is about to arrive.

As for ease of payment, give it a go.  I don't know how the Gold Coast mob have set themselves up.  It may well be as simple as you describe....I dunno.

For me, I'd rather keep my card details to myself.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #103 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:33pm

Quote:
I also have a friend who is sitting on his inherited taxi plates and they're worth bugger all now.

Ask him what his price is.  I'll buy.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #104 - May 31st, 2017 at 5:03pm

Quote:
I've got a collection of Uber Drivers personal cards for when I need an airport run...

So, how does that work?

(I know the answer....I just want others to hear about from you, rather than me who obviously has a vested interest.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print