Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 38
Send Topic Print
Islamophobia and hate cause Muslim radicalization (Read 24840 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Islamophobia and hate cause Muslim radicalization
Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:50am

Islamophobia and hate speech is promoting radicalism in Muslims.

Excluding Muslims, and demonstrating Islamophobia and hate behavior, and attempting to exclude Muslims from society will cause the radicalization that perpetrators fear.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/13/radicalisation-islamophobi...

Quote:
I've studied radicalization – and Islamophobia often plants the seed
Sarah Lyons-Padilla

The evidence shows that alienating an entire religious community, as Donald Trump has done, will make us less safe.

There are better ways to fight extremism

Speculation has been rife about the motives of Omar Mateen, the 29-year-old man who killed 49 and injured at least 53 in a gay nightclub in Orlando. Reports say that he called 911 to pledge his allegiance to the Islamic State shortly before opening fire.

Following an attack of this nature, we can expect two streams of reactions. President Obama, Hillary Clinton and others are of the first type, urging us to condemn retaliation against Muslims. In contrast, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is of the second, insisting that the US strictly scrutinize or even ban Muslims from entering the country.

As a result, many Americans may infer that they must make a choice: call upon the value of inclusivity and support American Muslims, or call upon the value of homeland security and take a strong stand against terrorism, and by extension, Muslims.

My results are not surprising to social scientists, who know that humans derive self-worth from the groups we belong to
But my research suggests that this dichotomy is both false and dangerous, as excluding Muslims is more likely to exacerbate terrorist tendencies, while welcoming Muslims is more likely to quell radicalization.

Understanding why requires understanding what motivates someone to become a terrorist in the first place.

Many assume that people who commit terrorist attacks in the name of Islam are religious zealots. Actually, many Muslim radicals were not particularly religious at the get-go. Indeed, a substantial number of Isis sympathizers are converts to Islam – hardly lifelong devotees.

If not religion, then, what is to blame?

Researchers have long studied the motivations of terrorists, with psychologist Arie Kruglanski proposing a particularly compelling theory: people become terrorists to restore a sense of significance in their lives, a feeling that they matter. Extremist organizations like Isis are experts at giving their recruits that sense of purpose, through status, recognition, and the promise of eternal rewards in the afterlife.

My own survey work supports Kruglanski’s theory. I find that American Muslims who feel a lack of significance in their lives are more likely to support fundamentalist groups and extreme ideologies.

What we really need to know now is, what sets people on this path? How do people lose their sense of purpose?

My research reveals one answer: the more my survey respondents felt they or other Muslims had been discriminated against, the more they reported feeling a lack of meaning in their lives. Respondents who felt culturally homeless – not really American, but also not really a part of their own cultural community – were particularly jarred by messages that they don’t belong. Yet Muslim Americans who felt well integrated in both their American and Muslim communities were more resilient in the face of discrimination.

My results are not surprising to many social scientists, who know that we humans derive a great deal of self-worth from the groups we belong to. Our groups tell us who we are and make us feel good about ourselves. But feeling like we don’t belong to any group can really rattle our sense of self.

Bringing this back to terrorism prevention: when politicians espouse anti-Muslim rhetoric and say that Americans shouldn’t trust a community of 3.3 million people, what do they expect? A few hurt feelings at the expense of protecting our homeland?

If only. When politicians propose banning Muslim travel or policing Muslim communities, and when other Americans applaud and echo these sentiments, we send the message that a) Muslims are not really Americans, and b) being Muslim is something to be ashamed of.

According to my research, this is the recipe for making American Muslims feel disenfranchised and discriminated against. We are actually planting the seeds for radicalization and essentially helping Isis recruit by fueling the narrative that the west is anti-Islam.

So, yes, I condemn Islamophobia, but not just because I think it’s morally wrong to discriminate against a religious community. I condemn Islamophobia because the evidence shows that it is only going to worsen the problem we are trying to solve. Does this mean the American government shouldn’t do something about Isis, or that American citizens shouldn’t fight homegrown terrorism? Absolutely not. But we need to reframe our approach, and realize that targeting an entire religion is not going to get us anywhere good.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Islamophobia and hate cause Muslim radicalization
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 1:01am

Of course it does - these poor innocent Muslims are born here or come here and are treated SOOOO badly by us horrible Aussies that they have no other recourse but to fall into fundamentalism and jihad....

I mean - we dragged them out of their sh1thole countries where they were marked for death, shoved them into ghettoes, gave them the same opportunity to get work and even gave them artificial advancement in the public service, thus forcing them to be wage slaves and slaves to the Australia people... we religiously go out and beat them in the streets, do drive-by shootings at them, ritually rape their women, endlessly proselityse about how decadent and corrupt and ungodly they are, even occasionally kill some of them to make our point, force them to buy homes here and prosper...... you name it!

By Jesus!  We of this Nation have a lot to answer for when it comes to our treatment of those poor, down-trodden Muslims!   Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 1:17am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 1:01am:
Of course it does - these poor innocent Muslims are born here or come here and are treated SOOOO badly by us horrible Aussies that they have no other recourse but to fall into fundamentalism and jihad....

I mean - we dragged them out of their sh1thole countries where they were marked for death, shoved them into ghettoes, gave them the same opportunity to get work and even gave them artificial advancement in the public service, thus forcing them to be wage slaves and slaves to the Australia people... we religiously go out and beat them in the streets, do drive-by shootings at them, ritually rape their women, endlessly proselityse about how decadent and corrupt and ungodly they are, even occasionally kill some of them to make our point, force them to buy homes here and prosper...... you name it!

By Jesus!  We of this Nation have a lot to answer for when it comes to our treatment of those poor, down-trodden Muslims!   Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Muslims are unlucky that closet poms were so expert at genocide they ran out of Aboriginals.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 10:57am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 1:01am:

A rather hysterical and irrational response to the article.

Are you denying there is anti-Muslim sentiment in Australia?

How do you think that translates to disaffected youth?

Does not hatred breed hatred?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:21am

There's a hell of a lot more 'anti-White' sentiment in muslim communities in all non-Muslim countries, including Australia, than the other way round or they wouldn't be allowed to live in these countries, including this country.

You try to get residency in a muslim country Einstein.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:26am

No islam = no islamophobia.

If cucks didn't seek to exploit them and us for cheap labour, and the left didn't use them to spite the right, neither terrorism nor islamophobia would be an issue, and this whole avenue of suffering would be eliminated.

This is typicl of the western mindset, which seeks to mask or alleviate symptoms, rather than remove the cause.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:30am

... wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:26am:

If cucks didn't seek to exploit them and us for cheap labour, and the left didn't use them to spite the right, neither terrorism nor islamophobia would be an issue, and this whole avenue of suffering would be eliminated.

This is typicl of the western mindset, which seeks to mask or alleviate symptoms, rather than remove the cause.

You're assuming that Islam is the cause of all/most terrorism.

Your assumption is wrong. So very wrong.

Eradicate Islam, and the world will still have terrorism.

The only way to eradicate the cause of terrorism, is to eradicate all humans.

I, for one, don't support that particular course of action.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:37am

Fuzzball wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:21am:
There's a hell of a lot more 'anti-White' sentiment in muslim communities in all non-Muslim countries, including Australia, than the other way round or they wouldn't be allowed to live in these countries, including this country.

You try to get residency in a muslim country Einstein.

Firstly, that's not a legible sentence. Because i am cleverer than you i could understand what you were trying to say.

Firstly, who mentioned "whites"? Only you.

Unbelievably you try to claim that there is more "anti-White" (which you bizarrely gave a capital letter, though did not do so for Muslim, which would be the proper usage of the written word) than there is anti-Muslim sentiment from within the wider community. Correct? Yet do not (uncharacteristically appropriate off you) claim that there is isn't anti-Muslim sentiment in Australia. Although of course, to do so would be to deny your own feelings and you're not about to do that.

Think now. Hatred for hatred, how does that balance? Where is more hate coming from? And which of those demographics is a minority oft vilified by hate groups, politicians, media personalities and outlets and routinely defined by the worst behaved of said demographic?

And why would i want to try to live in a Muslim majority country? Most of them are not multicultural societies. I like multicultural societies.

Australia is a multicultural society. You're just going to have to accept that.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:38am

The world will, sure. 

Australia won't.

I have never advocated or supported eradication.  There is no need, so long as they stay in their own habitat. 

I like lions and tigers and bears, but I sure as bugger don't want them walking around my neighbourhood.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:44am

... wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:26am:

No Honky, no irrational fear and hated = no Islamophobia.

Occum's razor, innit.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:54am

The militant form of islam, the haters of islam and the leftard are all "addicted' to low vibration energy.

they all get off on hate, depression, nihilism, hopelessness, apathy, victimhood and anger.

there is a dark energy to all of these groups.

you know when you were at school, just vibing with the other cool kids, there was always a few kids who just had this light shillack of 'whats up with him"....they just couldnt vibe and be light and be fun and be free spirited and feel joy.

well that kid down the back of the class...the wierdo...thats the radical islamist, thats the hater of the islam and thats the social justice nutjob.

its the same sh*t...they are all stuck in addiction to the lowest of human emotions...they all love their pain .

and people in pain will seek out people who trigger them, because thats what they know, thats what they like and thats what they feel familiar with .

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:00pm

mothra wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:37am:
Firstly, that's not a legible sentence.

Yet you managed to understand it.
Quote:
date=1490319455] Because i am cleverer than you

Self-recommendation is no recommendation at all Albert.
Firstly, who mentioned "whites"?

Despite what you say, this IS a White (notice the capital) country, it's only the fvkwits like you who enjoy brandishing the multicultural dross about when your making excuses up for terrorists.
which you bizarrely gave a capital letter, though did not do so for Muslim, which would be the proper usage of the written word

"bizarrely" is somewhat misplaced and rather flowery Mrs Dickens, therefore not really "proper", do you mean sarcastically?
Yet do not (uncharacteristically appropriate off you) claim that there is anti-Muslim sentiment in Australia. Although of course, to do so would be to deny your own feelings and you're not about to do that.

You are trying to psychoanalyse mothball and you're not really qualified to do that.
And why would i want to try to live in a Muslim majority country?

Well that's easy to answer, you appear to defend them despite the atrocities they commit, so maybe you should try to go live with them.
And why would i want to try to live in a Muslim majority country? Most of them are mot (whoops, is that "legible", I think maybe understandable is better) multicultural societies. I like multicultural societies.

Answered above.

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:05pm by Fuzzball »  

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:10pm

Fuzzball wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:00pm:
Firstly, that's not a legible sentence.

Yet you managed to understand it.
Quote:
date=1490319455] Because i am cleverer than you

Self-recommendation is no recommendation at all Albert.
Firstly, who mentioned "whites"?

Despite what you say, this IS a White (notice the capital) country, it's only the fvkwits like you who enjoy brandishing the multicultural dross about when your making excuses up for terrorists.
which you bizarrely gave a capital letter, though did not do so for Muslim, which would be the proper usage of the written word

"bizarrely" is somewhat misplaced and rather flowery Mrs Dickens, therefore not really "proper", do you mean sarcastically?
Yet do not (uncharacteristically appropriate off you) claim that there is anti-Muslim sentiment in Australia. Although of course, to do so would be to deny your own feelings and you're not about to do that.

You are trying to psychoanalyse mothball and you're not really qualified to do that.
And why would i want to try to live in a Muslim majority country?

Well that's easy to answer, you appear to defend them despite the atrocities they commit, so maybe you should try to go live with them.
And why would i want to try to live in a Muslim majority country? Most of them are mot (whoops, is that "legible", I think maybe understandable is better) multicultural societies. I like multicultural societies.

Answered above.

Back to the drawing board, Fireball. You've typed a whole load of crap.

Australia is not a white country, it is a multicultural county. You're just going to have to learn to accept that.

I have never made excuses for terrorists.

Who said i'm not qualified? More importantly, who said it was even remotely difficult to put you in a tidy box?

The rest of your ravings are simply that. Ravings.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:13pm

... wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:38am:
I have never advocated or supported eradication.  There is no need, so long as they stay in their own habitat. 

Terrorists don't have their own habitat.

They live everywhere: Australia, Ireland, USA, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Norway, Spain, Germany, Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom, etc.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:15pm

Unforgiven wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:50am:
Islamophobia and hate speech is promoting radicalism in Muslims.

Excluding Muslims, and demonstrating Islamophobia and hate behavior, and attempting to exclude Muslims from society will cause the radicalization that perpetrators fear.

Im calling bullsh1t straight up.

Funny how no other groups suffering the various 'phobias' manage to turn into radicalised murdering scumbags, just fkken rag heads.

Islam and ONLY islam is the cause of radicalisation, the rest is utter horse sh1t.

Every minority suffers some form of marginalisation or exclusion from the main, funny how ragheads now have an excuse to turn into terrorists because of it.

Fkk them, time to clean fkken house.  Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 38
Send Topic Print