Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Who is right about unemployment?

Government 5.9%    
  0 (0.0%)
Roy Morgan 9.4%    
  5 (83.3%)
View result without voting    
  1 (16.7%)

Total votes: 6
« Created by: Unforgiven on: Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:04pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roy Morgan: Is unemployment really 9.4%? (Read 225 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Roy Morgan: Is unemployment really 9.4%?
Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:02pm

Is the government lying? Trump says governments lie about unemployment.

How does this affect the average punter?

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7188-unemployment-under-employment-comparison-...

Quote:
Australians say Roy Morgan unemployment estimate ‘closer to reality’ than ABS

A majority of Australians 58% (down 2% since April 2015) say the Roy Morgan February unemployment estimate (9.4%) is ‘closer to reality’ than the far lower official ABS February unemployment number (5.9%)*; 31% (up 2%) believe the ABS number while a further 11% (unchanged) can’t say according to a special telephone Morgan Poll conducted over three nights last week, March 14-16, 2017.

Analysis by Gender & Age

Analysis by gender shows women 62% (up 3%) are now more likely than men 53% (down 8%) to say the Roy Morgan unemployment figure is ‘closer to reality’. Now more men 36% (up 5%) than women 26% (down 1%) say the ABS unemployment figure is ‘closer to reality’ while 11% (up 3%) of men say they ‘can’t say’ compared to 12% (up 1%) of women.

Analysis by age groups shows people of all ages are more likely to believe the Roy Morgan figures - 55% of 14-24yr olds believe the Roy Morgan unemployment figure is ‘closer to reality’, along with 46% of 25-34yr olds, 54% of 35-49yr olds, 69% of 50-64yr olds and 62% of 65+yr olds.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Re: Roy Morgan: Is unemployment really 9.4%?
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:04pm

Please consider poll.

The government is evidently wrong because new immigrants are excluded from welfare and unemployment statistics for 2 years.

MENA migrants are 3 times more likely to be unemployed than European or Asian immigrants. That means their 33% unemployment translates to 11% for Asian and European immigrants, which is probably also understated in regard to the real rate.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/migrants-unemployment-rate-among-new...

Quote:
MIDDLE Eastern migrants are piling on to the dole queue — with a 33 per cent jobless rate during their first five years in Australia.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the unemployment rate among recent immigrants from the Middle East has doubled in a decade, with one-in-three out of work.
Migrants from the Middle East and North Africa are also three times more likely than European or Asian immigrants to be out of work in the first five years of settlement. And their 33 per cent jobless rate is six times higher than the national average.
Islamic migration experts have blamed the unemployment rate on bosses who shun jobseekers named ‘Mohammad’ and women wearing hijabs.

Islamic migration experts have blamed the sky-high unemployment rate on bosses who shun jobseekers named “Mohammad’’ and women wearing hijabs.
The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics data reveals Middle Eastern migrants are having more trouble finding jobs than other immigrants.
Asian and European ­immigrants have an even lower jobless rate than ­Australian-born workers, after living here five to nine years.
But among Middle Eastern jobseekers, the unemployment rate is an alarming 17.5 per cent.
This compares to 3.6 per cent for southeast Asian migrants, and 1.9 per cent for those from southern and eastern Europe.
Australian National University economist Bob Gregory said most Middle Eastern migrants were refugees, and English language skills were “crucial’’ to finding work.

“Refugees have very high unemployment and this lasts for a very long time,’’ Emeritus Professor Gregory said.
“Asian migrants are nearly all tertiary graduates and study here — this makes job finding easier.’’
Australia granted 15,552 humanitarian visas during 2015/16, with most given to refugees from Iraq, Syria, Myanmar and Afghanistan.
The number of Iraqi-born migrants living in Australia has grown by 38 per cent in the last decade, to more than 63,000. And the number of Syrian settlers is set to double after the federal government promised to take 12,000 as refugees.
The Department of Social Services said newly settled refugees “often undergo a ­period of adjustment and ­require training, such as English language tuition, before seeking employment’’.
“Refugees can make significant economic contributions to Australia by helping to fill labour shortages,’’ a spokesman said.
“Like any other significant number of new migrants, they bring a range of skills, knowledge, and innovative work and business practices’’.
The spokesman said refugees did not have to wait two years for welfare payments, like other migrants.
Refugees receive up to 510 hours of free English language tuition and the federal government is spending $22 million on training and support for young jobseekers on humanitarian visas. University of Newcastle Emeritus Professor Terry Lovat, who studied the job outcomes of Islamic workers for the Immigration Department, called for “blind resumes’’ to stop employers discriminating on grounds of names or photos.
“The name ‘Mohammad’ could put people off and women have an issue if they wear the hijab,” he said. “That becomes more of an issue if (job applications) include a photo.”
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:30pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 3:52pm

or higher with the immigrant overhang?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 4:04pm

I don’t trust Morgan’s methodology. Then again, I no longer trust the ABS’s methodology either.

Unemployment and underemployment are dreadful I have no doubt.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print