Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
defining Australian multiculturalism (Read 1902 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
defining Australian multiculturalism
Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:10pm

Three changes the Turnbull Government has made to Australia’s Multicultural Statement

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/three-changes-the-turnbull-government-has-made-to-australias-multicultural-statement/news-story/772da543dbda3650ccf9eba818747a61

MALCOLM Turnbull has released a new statement redefining what it means to be part of “multicultural Australia”.

The Prime Minister launched the statement today, the first time it has been changed since Labor’s Julia Gillard released her government’s version in 2011. The statement was first released in 1996.

The latest multicultural statement includes British and Irish settlers as being part of the makeup of ‘multicultural Australia’, not just ethnic minorities and indigenous people.
Mr Turnbull emphasised this in his statement today too.

“Australians look like every face, every race, every background because we define ourselves and our nation by our commitment to shared political values, democracy, freedom and the rule of law,” he said.

“We are as old as our first Australians ... and yet we are as young as the baby in the arms of her migrant mother who could have come from any nation, any faith, any race. We are an immigrant nation”.

Professor Andrew Markus, who conducts research on immigration, diversity and public opinion, said broadening the definition of multiculturalism was a good thing.
“It’s much more inclusive, it’s makes it clear that multiculturalism is not about ‘them’, it’s about all of us,” he told news.com.au.

“It’s a very positive reframing in my view.”

While the new statement also emphasises learning English and talks about the threat of terrorism, Prof Markus said he didn’t think there was a big change and it was “essentially a reaffirmation of the value of multiculturalism”.

“What’s particularly significant in the present document, is that it recognises the heightened tension, about terrorism and the domestic implications of that, but it delivers a very strong message on unity, and focuses on what unites us, and on mutual respect.”

One new initiative the government points to in the document, is the reform of settlement services to deliver improved English language, education and employment outcomes for refugees.

But Prof Markus said the imagery used in the statement, which includes many different ethnicities and photos of women wearing the hijab, also kept the focus on diversity, not on Anglo-conformity.

“It talks about mutual respect and racism being incompatible with Australian society, which is as strong as anything in previous documents.”

Here’s what has changed.

REDEFINING ‘MULTICULTURAL’ AUSTRALIA

The statement specifically mentions British and Irish settlers and includes them as being part of the makeup of ‘multicultural Australia’, not just ethnic minorities and indigenous people.

It says Australia owes its accomplishments to the contributions of more than 300 different ancestries “from the first Australians to the newest arrivals”.

Alongside profiles of Syrian refugee and immigrants from Nigeria, Serbia and Taiwan, it also features a profile of businessman and Scanlon Foundation founder Peter Scanlon, whose grandparents migrated from Ireland in the 1880s.

This is a shift away from the previous statement which talked about government services and programs being responsive to “culturally diverse communities”.

SETS OUT ‘AUSTRALIAN VALUES’

While the previous statement talked about “shared rights and responsibilities”, and that citizens must uphold the country’s laws and democracy, the new statement expands on this.

It specifically points to learning English as something that helps the country sustain unity.

“English is and will remain our national language and is a critical tool for migrant integration”.

However, it also recognises that the country’s “multilingual workforce” is a competitive edge in an increasingly globalised economy.

It also sets out what Australian values are, including “equality of men and women”, “commitment to freedom” and “support of freedom of thought, speech, religion, enterprise and association”.

There is a section that addresses terrorist attacks around the world, and it says “the Australian Government places the highest priority on the safety and security of all Australians”.

“The Government affirms that we best reinforce the safety of the Australian community by focusing on what unites us and addressing our differences through mutual respect,” the statement says.

EMPHASISES SHARED OBLIGATIONS

While the previous statement talked about the importance of government services being “responsive to the needs of Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds”. this has been dropped in the latest version.

The statement also moves away from the government using “the force of the law” to respond to expressions of intolerance and discrimination.

Instead it states “we condemn people who incite racial hatred”, and points to “regular inter-faith and inter-cultural dialogue” as a way to reduce tensions.

It also points to settlement programs supporting refugees to become “self-reliant”.

“Settlement programs support migrants to become self-reliant and active members of the Australian community,” the statement says.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: defining Australian multiculturalism
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:44pm

Put this one in the spineless apologetics thread, FD. Condemn people who incite racial hatred?

Shurely shome mishtake.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:59pm

Australian Multi-Culturalism:-  (N) ..

(1) an amorphous agglomeration of racial, ethnic and religious entities, all competing for the same space in which to live by their own standards and entrenched social values while offering to their fellow occupants and contestants for living space (Lebensraum) suspicion, fear, and outright hostility, up to and including violence either personal or ritualised as a component of a specific group....

(2)  the opportunity to partake of a wide range of foods, women, and cultural activities that would otherwise be denied the average occupant of this nation....

(3) a bunch of politically correct ballschat organised by losers in bad coats and ties to justify lowering the standards and economic value of the working class....

(4)  an international conspiracy wrought by The Twelve, with the clear intent of establishing One World Order on the bones and blood of the casualties of multi-culturalism and other miscegenist ideas that divide people rather than allowing them to organise in socially meaningful groups for the betterment of all....

"Ummm... well... ummm.."

"Ten seconds!"

"Arrrhhh.. lock in (A), Eddie...."

"What? You serious?  For Wun Milyun Dullahs - you want (a)? 
why would you choose (a)?"

"I'll take (a), Eddie... thanks but no thanks."

"I'll give you another chance... well.. for a million bucks... you deserve that...... right after the break!"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:01pm

This should read:-  "Divining Australian Multiculturalism"...

I've sent away to Delphi for a response from the Oracles....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:06pm

It's all about burying the preeminence of the British contribution to the creation of this First World nation which is the envy of our northern neighbours who are brass-bowl recipients of this country's taxpayers.

It's all about diminishing the preeminent role the British and their descendants have played in the settlement and development of this barren continent which today is a migrant destination for over 300 ethnicities from their failed societies.

In other words it's an oblique exercise in Brit-bashing via Anglo-Australians with a view to making our Third World ethnics feel better about themselves.

It also confirms and further entrenches the existing PC policy of non-assimilation by migrants with Australia's core values as derived from its British heritage.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:11pm by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:28pm

Good point, Herb - without the British intrusion there would be no Australia, and certain groups ride on the fundamental sense of fair play derived from that beginning as modified over decades by men and women of good will.... and use that fair play to abuse.

Some of those men and women of good will are right here on this forum, striving to have a voice in their own country.

― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 6:01am

EMPHASISES SHARED OBLIGATIONS

While the previous statement talked about the importance of government services being “responsive to the needs of Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds”. this has been dropped in the latest version.

The statement also moves away from the government using “the force of the law” to respond to expressions of intolerance and discrimination.

Instead it states “we condemn people who incite racial hatred”, and points to “regular inter-faith and inter-cultural dialogue” as a way to reduce tensions.

It also points to settlement programs supporting refugees to become “self-reliant”.

“Settlement programs support migrants to become self-reliant and active members of the Australian community,” the statement says.

I do honestly believe this country has done a good job.

when I came here its was very laid back she'll be right Jack attitude.. migrants were called New [/i[i]]Australians... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. and the majority were welcomed... and they fitted in   that was the main thing..

They didnt whinge or want this law to change or that rule to change to make them even more welcome..they accepted what was here they learned English well the younger ones  did  and they intermarried they moved all over the country! welfare was almost unheard of..everyone worked for what they had...

I am very proud of what this country has achieved... we should hang on to it like grim death....some people or groups.. are trying to change our culture  to fit in with people who claim they have come here for a better way of life...

Well I disagree with changing our laws or disappearing our Christian identity in case we offend....in fact I am over it..I am also a bit over having past mistakes shoved down my neck as if I was one of the perpetrators...sick of the them and us  and white against black.. its time to put a stop to that...imo...equality will only even be  if we accept everyone has as much right to speak up and the next person..as long as it breaks no laws....

we can see by some of the language on here alone that will never happen.. but it doesnt mean we shouldnt keep trying.

that what I love about aussies... they never give up.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 6:22am

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:06pm:
It's all about burying the preeminence of the British contribution to the creation of this First World nation which is the envy of our northern neighbours who are brass-bowl recipients of this country's taxpayers.

It's all about diminishing the preeminent role the British and their descendants have played in the settlement and development of this barren continent which today is a migrant destination for over 300 ethnicities from their failed societies.

In other words it's an oblique exercise in Brit-bashing via Anglo-Australians with a view to making our Third World ethnics feel better about themselves.

It also confirms and further entrenches the existing PC policy of non-assimilation by migrants with Australia's core values as derived from its British heritage.

Fair summation Herb

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 6:25am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:28pm:
Good point, Herb - without the British intrusion there would be no Australia, and certain groups ride on the fundamental sense of fair play derived from that beginning as modified over decades by men and women of good will.... and use that fair play to abuse.

Some of those men and women of good will are right here on this forum, striving to have a voice in their own country.

Ya got dat right Kebin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 8:28am

There is a fundamental omission in the definitions to date. It is the necessity of a secular state to oversee cultures that insist on clinging to religion. Only a secular state can accommodate multiculturalism honestly. The definition as it stand puts more emphasis on tolerating religion than it does on secularism.

A second omission is the justification of English as our language, which leaves definitions open to accusation of unfairness. For example, China will soon have the largest English speaking population in the World, so it is not just our tradition that makes sense.

Another omission is any defense of our legal system other than it is the law. The basis of our system comes from Britain, and as just about every new country implements version of this, we should be proud to state in loudly.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:01am

This is arrant nonsense. This is more government promoted BS to divert the public's attention from unemployment and the economy.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:07am

Unforgiven wrote on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:01am:
This is arrant nonsense. This is more government promoted BS to divert the public's attention from unemployment and the economy.

And when hasn't anything been a political diversion from unemployment & the economy?

The LNP are doing it with this & the gas shortage & electricity supply scams

The ALP do it with things like legalizing same sex marriage & LGBITQ issues

instead of addressing unemployment & the economy.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:09am

Multiculturalism doesn't bother us Anglo Aussie folk out here in the bush. Only the wild animals are multicultural, they get on fairly well together but some of them have a habit of eating each other.

A multicultural fox surgically removed a bread roll from my bag of tiger rolls in my boot the other night. I left the boot open while opening the house and organizing the fridge for the new lot of grub after the trip home from town

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:28am

Yadda wrote on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:19am:

PLURALISM, TOLERANCE,       ....AND ISLAM ?

Here in Australia, our society has decided to give moslems who want to live among us a pass [i.e. uncritical acceptance].

That, while ISLAM [mainstream ISLAMIC doctrine] teaches the very same moslem community [who are living among us!] to spurn and to utterly reject every multicultural or pluralist influence, which could 'infect' and 'pollute' their own community.

And we have ample evidence that some elements within 'our' moslem community, are not frightened, to publicly voice such ISLAMIC strictures.

-------- >

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:35am

another attempt to divide an conquer by the useless malcolm

for different people it means different things.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print