Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ocean warming 13% faster than previously thought (Read 3584 times)
tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Ocean warming 13% faster than previously thought
Reply #30 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:35pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:28pm:
Nuclear has a role as non-intermittent power source. An ETS will make nuclear one of the best options.

The problem with nuclear is the storage and production of biohazardous materials which have important security implications.   We are however, making breakthroughs in fusion energy.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #31 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:38pm

Fusion would be great! Breeder reactors tho “burn” their own waste. I would like to think that we will not reach a second degree of warming!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 5:03pm

tickleandrose wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 2:18pm:
But its all connected in the carbon cycle.  And plus its very difficult to grown something back on a used coal mine.   

Stripped coal-mines offer a lucrative industry in mushrooms and bat-poo fertiliser. Maybe even birds' nest soup.

Think POSITIVE, Ticklenose!

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #33 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 5:16pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
tickleandrose wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 2:18pm:
But its all connected in the carbon cycle.  And plus its very difficult to grown something back on a used coal mine.   

Stripped coal-mines offer a lucrative industry in mushrooms and bat-poo fertiliser. Maybe even birds' nest soup.

Think POSITIVE, Ticklenose!

So does Herr Bert's cranial cavity.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:23pm

tickleandrose wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:24pm:
Renewable technology have to start somewhere.

Renewable technology has been around since the 19th century.

ranted we have CO2 level like this before on Earth, but this time its different.  The rate of increase is alot higher, and we are messing with deforestation

Perhaps you can show a graph where it was similar to now, but the current rate is a lot higher.

We need to do the right thing.  Instead of subsidizing this outdated form of energy generation, invest and give incentives to divest into renewable.   The race is on, who ever succeed in the renewable energy sector is going to be the next superpower.

So we should subsidise renewables that don't have the same thermal efficiency as coal, because it might be harmful, or not.

"Yet moves by governments around the world to designate wood as a carbon-neutral fuel—making it eligible for beneficial treatment under tax, trade, and environmental regulations—have spurred fierce debate. Critics argue that accounting for carbon recycling is far more complex than it seems. They say favoring wood could actually boost carbon emissions, not curb them, for many decades, and that wind and solar energy—emissions-free from the start—are a better bet for the climate. Some scientists also worry that policies promoting wood fuels could unleash a global logging boom that trashes forest biodiversity in the name of climate protection.

"It basically tells the Congo and Indonesia and every other forested country in the world: ‘If you cut down your forests and use them for energy, not only is that not bad, it's good,’" says Tim Searchinger, a senior fellow at the World Resources Institute in Washington, D.C., who has studied the carbon impacts of wood energy."

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/wood-green-source-energy-scientists-are-d...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #35 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:34pm

I was chatting with a client on the weekend, a total egg head economist who also understands energy.

He reckons the way to go is for the Govt to get coal as cheaply as possible and provide Australia with the cheap energy to give our industry competitive advantage, and sink more money into energy efficiency while making a long term plan for renewables.

Discuss.

IBI

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #36 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:39pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:34pm:
I was chatting with a client on the weekend, a total egg head economist who also understands energy.

He reckons the way to go is for the Govt to get coal as cheaply as possible and provide Australia with the cheap energy to give our industry competitive advantage, and sink more money into energy efficiency while making a long term plan for renewables.

Discuss.

Was this "egg head" hard boiled?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #37 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:43pm

Unforgiven wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:39pm:

Discuss.

He reckons the numbers work, in $ and CO2.

Do you have anything productive to say?

IBI

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #38 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:48pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:43pm:
Unforgiven wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:39pm:

Discuss.

He reckons the numbers work, in $ and CO2.

Do you have anything productive to say?

Gordon's hard-boiled egg head is scrambled and waffling.

Not one skerrick of hard-boiled facts.

Australia did not get a competitive edge from brown coal which is the cheapest energy source except for the fact it destroyed the health of residents in the vicinity.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:20pm

Discuss.

Clean coal.

Wash, filter, and combine the carbon emissions with another gas to render the CO˛ harmless.

It's very basic. Not rocket science.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 12:47am

Give it a couple days, and the results of warmer oceans are going to culminate in the appearance of Cyclone Debbie. Much needed rain is forecast for the inland of Qld if and when the cyclone turns into a depression moving inland over northern CQld.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #41 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 12:53am

Discuss.

We already have loads of coal, we even export it by the bucket load. It sounds like he is saying burn coal and leave the future to itself. What long term plan? Plan on making a plan? Sounds like the liberal party.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #42 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 1:25am

Setanta wrote on Mar 25th, 2017 at 12:53am:

Discuss.

We already have loads of coal, we even export it by the bucket load. It sounds like he is saying burn coal and leave the future to itself. What long term plan? Plan on making a plan? Sounds like the liberal party.

Denizen Gordon has evidently taken more head shots from kettlebells than he has admitted.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #43 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 10:03am

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #44 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 11:28am

Yup, both poles melting. The sun has been quiescent since the 1970s.

But AGW is not happening  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print