Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Budget cuts to science areas (Read 5490 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Budget cuts to science areas
Mar 18th, 2017 at 1:51pm

". . . the proposed cuts to the Energy Department, the EPA, and the National Institute of Health represent a significant step toward separating state and science.
It should go without saying that scientific research is a vital part of civilized society, allowing for technological breakthroughs that dramatically increase the quality of life for mankind as a whole. It is precisely because of its great importance that it should not be politicized by being influenced by politicians and government bureaucrats. The inherent problems of government's inability to efficiently allocate scarce resources doesn't change when the subject is science, so government research can suffer with the same issues of waste, fraud, and abuse that regularly haunt other programs.

The National Institute of Health, one of the areas most impacted by the Trump budget, provides a number of examples of such questionable research. As Senator Jeff Flake documented last year, the National Institute of Health dedicated millions to such pressing research as the impact of cocaine on bees, testing sex steroids on goldfish, and studying the appearance of Jesus on toast. In its own version of Washington Monument Syndrome, the NIH then came back to Congress asking for more funds to dedicate to actual public health concerns.

Not only are the priorities of public research questionable, it can impact the science itself. We have seen this particularly in the case of climate science, one area which is targeted extensively in Trump’s budget.1

Earlier this year Dr. John Bates, a former NOAA scientist, documented how climate data was improperly handled. The purpose, as Bates states, was:

[to put a] thumb on the scales — in the documentation, scientific choices, and release of datasets — in an effort to discredit the notion of a global warming hiatus and rush to time the publication of the paper to influence national and international deliberations on climate policy.

Government-funded science was manipulated to push a government agenda.

Past administrations' concerns with warming have also led to programs incentivizing “alternative energy” sources, which can lead to all sorts of bad investments by private companies seeking public subsidy. One of the most prominent examples was the failure of Solyndra, the solar panel company that went bankrupt after receiving billions from taxpayers. These programs also take a hit in Trump’s budget.

. . . . .While his proposed budget is a solid first step toward de-politicizing science, unfortunately the increase in Pentagon spending means that military-related research will continue to enjoy the perks of government privilege. Resources that could have been dedicated to serving the wants and needs of the public will instead be allocated to building ever more expensive weapons for the world’s most powerful military (regardless of its actual performance).
As long as Trump continues to view the military-industrial complex as a sacred cow, he won’t make real progress in draining the swamp.
:zerohedge.com

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Budget cuts to science areas
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 1:52pm

trump doesn't need science, when he wants to know something he simply asks his lackeys to make it up for him

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 1:54pm

Well I think you've made that one up yourself John. But if that's the depth of what you need to know . . .be happy.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 2:24pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 18th, 2017 at 1:54pm:
Well I think you've made that one up yourself John. But if that's the depth of what you need to know . . .be happy.

made it up? no, trump has always preferred creativity to facts. Just look how well the Obama tapped my office' is going to him.

ohh wait, please don't tell me you're one of the few stupid people left who still believe him?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 6:02pm

ONly a wanker like a Trumpoid could call massive cuts to science 'good'.

How long did it take you to work out a ridiculous support for this stupid act?

Why must all trumpoids be so damned stupid????

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:35pm

Trumps greatest contribution would be to depoliticize science.

There are 5,000 free energy patents in the US which are classified.
Question is if they are hoaxes as some believe - why classify them?

If the gov was so interested in the environment why does it suppress new energy ideas?

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:51am

Richdude wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:35pm:

If the gov was so interested in the environment why does it suppress new energy ideas?

If they are classified how do you know there are 5,000.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 11:15am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:51am:

He heard it on infowars.

there is NO SUCH THING as free energy as anyone with a rudimentary understanding of science knows. every so-called 'free energy' device has been shown to be a fraud.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 12:45pm

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 11:15am:

He heard it on infowars.

there is NO SUCH THING as free energy as anyone with a rudimentary understanding of science knows. every so-called 'free energy' device has been shown to be a fraud.

Shut up horseman! One liner idiot. FFS!

Weekend, energy is abundant and all around us in unlimited amount - you have a misunderstanding of science and everything else it seems.

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 12:48pm

Trumptards don't need science except how to start fires for when they burn books.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 12:50pm

Science was never "politicized" you snotnozzle hard boiled egg fart. That is some GOP LIE sold to the likes of you as if it was a used car.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 1:08pm

Richdude wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 12:45pm:

He heard it on infowars.

Weekend, energy is abundant and all around us in unlimited amount - you have a misunderstanding of science and everything else it seems.

Apart from the fact I teach it, as longweekend says free energy is physically impossible.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 1:08pm

Marla wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 12:50pm:

Science was never "politicized" you snotnozzle hard boiled egg fart. That is some GOP LIE sold to the likes of you as if it was a used car.

Grow up Marlon.......you're like the other idiot on here longweekend......

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 2:28pm

He heard it on infowars.

FREE ENERGY retard does no exist. Mass-energy cannot be created nor destroyed.  BASIC SCIENCE.

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 3:48am

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 2:28pm:

He heard it on infowars.

FREE ENERGY retard does no exist. Mass-energy cannot be created nor destroyed.  BASIC SCIENCE.

That is law but its a man made law. Local road here has a law which says max speed 55 mph. Drivers break that law all the time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print