Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Humour (Read 671 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Humour
Mar 18th, 2017 at 10:06am

People looking for anything between a quiet laugh and a fit could try the books of Peter Tinniswood:

eg Winston
     The Brigadier series
     Uncle Mort's South Country

But one of the funniest books I ever read (I could have mentioned it before) was The Matchmaker of Perigord by Julia Stuart.
It was her first book and I was so bowled over by it that I wrote to her through the publishers.
This is the email I got in response:

Dear Mr ****,
"I have just received your lovely letter which was forwarded to me by my British publishers. Thank you for taking the time to send me your kind and generous comments. Those Limousin cows do really wink as you walk past them! I haven't in fact read any books by Gabriel Chevallier (1) or Giovanni Guareschi (2) but I will order some out of interest. I am currently reading Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome which is the funniest thing I've read in a long time."

(1) the Clochemerle series & (2) the Don Camillo series, also humorous books which I had mentioned to her as reminiscent of her own humour.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: Humour
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 10:04am

Actually I decided I'd read that Matchmaker book again this morning, it's 9 years since I read it and it's still pissing down outside just to provide my mower with more work to do.

I only got half a page into it and it had me laughing, so as I say, it's really a funny read. It starts with a description of this 33 year old cassoulet, which is still being matured and added to by the person who has inherited it. (Nearly turns my stomach).

I won't tell you any more, but do read it if you like a laugh.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print