Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Threats of violent Islamist and far-right extremis (Read 6301 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Threats of violent Islamist and far-right extremis
Reply #45 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:04pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:02pm:
mothra wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 4:56pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 4:52pm:
mothra wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 4:51pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 4:38pm:
mothra wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 4:35pm:
In a 2015 New York Times article, University of North Carolina Professor Charles Kurzman and Duke Professor David Schanzer found that Islam-inspired terror attacks accounted for 50 deaths since 9/11, but that “right-wing extremists averaged 337 attacks per year in the decade after 9/11, causing a total of 254 fatalities.”

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-false-claim-foreign-born-domestic-attacks-54e99b...
Why since 9/11?? Conveniently cutting out thousands of Islamic killings hey.

Because that's the period of time the statistics were gathered over, obviously.

If you're jonesing for a reference to 9/11, you'll find it in the OP. I even highlighted it:

"Between 1990 and 2014, the ECDB has identified 38 homicide events motivated by Islamist extremism that killed 62 people. When you include 9/11, those numbers jump dramatically to 39 homicide events and 3,058 killed.

The database also identified 177 homicide events motivated by far-right extremism, with 245 killed. And when you include the Oklahoma City bombing, it rises to 178 homicide events and 413 killed."

and:

"These data reveal that far-right extremists tend to be more active in committing homicides, yet Islamist extremists tend to be more deadly."

https://theconversation.com/threats-of-violent-islamist-and-far-right-extremism-...
Because that's the period of time the statistics were gathered over, obviously......

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin That's an old one. Cutting out a major event to skewer the results.  Grin Grin Grin

Didn't read my whole post, did you.
"since 9/11" was enough for me.

Pity. You wouldn't be looking so foolish now if you had.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:11pm

mothra wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 4:55pm:
cods wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 4:42pm:
I think there has been as much Christian bashing as Muslim bashing on this thread..

thats what I mean about a "common goal"...

we just will never find it..

Not even close. The only person who has come close to bashing Christianity is Bigol, and he bashes everyone.

The rest of us have been clear the target of our concern is terrorism, whomsoever commits it.

there are many reasons given here  that claim more terrorist acts are claimed by Christian groups than muslims groups...

almost triumphantly Roll Eyes Roll Eyes... so to speak..

divide and fall... sure as hell we wont find an answer this way..

anyway I am out of here..

I have no interest in america and all its issues.. let them worry about them... not for me...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #47 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:12pm

The threat

the paper had received threats on Twitter and Facebook and by post, which had been passed on to police. He said he was sickened and angry that "violence could be used to counter drawings".

The result

The threat

Van Gogh, 47, had received death threats after his film Submission was shown on Dutch TV.

The result

The threat

The result

IBI

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:13pm

cods wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:11pm:
I think there has been as much Christian bashing as Muslim bashing on this thread..

Not even close. The only person who has come close to bashing Christianity is Bigol, and he bashes everyone.

The rest of us have been clear the target of our concern is terrorism, whomsoever commits it.

there are many reasons given here  that claim more terrorist acts are claimed by Christian groups than muslims groups...

I have no interest in america and all its issues.. let them worry about them... not for me...

Nobody has claimed that.

The claim is that there are more extreme right-wing terrorist attacks than Islamist terrorist attacks in the US.

Christian terrorism is a part of that.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:16pm

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:27pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 2:37pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 2:33pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 2:26pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 2:18pm:
What possible could be the agenda of christian terrorists be, in the most wacka fkken doodle christian nation on the planet?

Many things.

For example, anti-abortion, anti-homosexuality, and white supremacy.

And people argue that we should not get rid of the right to religion.

It wouldn't do much good.

Banning all religion won't all of a sudden make terrorists/extremists law-abiding citizens.

They tried it in Russia for 75 years last century but it didn't work. It's the same as banning Sharia Courts ... they simply go Underground.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #51 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:28pm

mothra wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:16pm:

Were they true Americans or blow-ins from the Middle East and elsewhere?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #52 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:30pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:27pm:
What possible could be the agenda of christian terrorists be, in the most wacka fkken doodle christian nation on the planet?

Many things.

Banning all religion won't all of a sudden make terrorists/extremists law-abiding citizens.

They tried it in Russia for 75 years last century but it didn't work. It's the same as banning Sharia Courts ... they simply go Underground.

What % of the USA population is Muslim?
Show us the numbers on a per capita basis

IBI

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:35pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:30pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:27pm:

Many things.

What % of the USA population is Muslim?
Show us the numbers on a per capita basis

What % of the USA is far right-wing?

Let's compare apples with apples, shall we?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #54 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:38pm

mothra wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:13pm:

Nobody has claimed that.

The claim is that there are more extreme right-wing terrorist attacks than Islamist terrorist attacks in the US.

To be fair though, the "extreme right-wing" demographic is a lot broader and larger than the demographic responsible for Islamist attacks. One would expect them to commit a larger number of attacks - and moreover they constitute a far broader spectrum of terrorists - pro-lifers, anti-government militias, ku klux clan style racists etc etc...

Its probably not really accurate to lump them all into the one basket and say 'this is a single group of extremists' - and claim they are exactly equivalent to the very specific category of Islamist extremists. They aren't. And I would say exactly the same thing if people lumped say Islamic State inspired terrorists with terrorists who are Palestinian nationalists - just because they are both (nominally) muslim.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:43pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:38pm:

Nobody has claimed that.

To be fair though, the "extreme right-wing" demographic is a lot broader and larger than the demographic responsible for Islamist attacks. One would expect them to commit a larger number of attacks - and moreover they constitute a far broader spectrum of terrorists - pro-lifers, anti-government militias, ku klux clan style racists etc etc...

Its probably not really accurate to lump them all into the one basket and say 'this is a single group of extremists' - and claim they are exactly equivalent to the very specific category of Islamist extremists. They aren't. And I would say exactly the same thing if people lumped say Islamic State inspired terrorists with terrorists who are Palestinian nationalists - just because they are both (nominally) muslim.

Yet the Islamic attacks are usually perpetrated by non-US citizens.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:46pm

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:47pm

American citizens killed by Islamic terrorists in the US since 1972. These stats don't include Islamic terrorist attacks where people weren't killed-

2017.01.31  USA  Denver, CO  1  0  A pastor working as a security guard is shot to death at a transit office by a 'radicalized' Muslim. 
2017.01.06  USA  Fort Lauderdale, FL  5  6  A convert to Islam guns down five innocents in the baggage claim area of an airport. 
2016.06.13  USA  Orlando, FL  49  53  An Islamic extremist massacres forty-nine people at a gay nightclub. 
2015.12.02  USA  San Bernardino, CA  14  17  A 'very religious' Muslim shoots up a Christmas party with his wife, leaving fourteen dead. 
2015.07.16  USA  Chattanooga, TN  5  2  A 'devout Muslim' stages a suicide attack on a recruiting center at a strip mall and a naval center which leaves five dead. 
2014.12.18  USA  Morganton, NC  1  0  A 74-year-old man is shot several times in the head by a 'radicalized' ISIS supporter. 
2014.09.25  USA  Moore, OK  1  1  A Sharia advocate beheads a woman after calling for Islamic terror and posting an Islamist beheading photo. 
2014.06.25  USA  West Orange, NJ  1  0  A 19-year-old college student is shot to death 'in revenge' for Muslim deaths overseas. 
2014.06.01  USA  Seattle, WA  2  0  Two homosexuals are murdered by an Islamic extremist. 
2014.04.27  USA  Skyway, WA  1  0  A 30-year-old man is murdered by a Muslim fanatic. 
2014.03.06  USA  Port Bolivar, TX  2  0  A Muslim man shoots his lesbian daughter and her lover to death and leaves a copy of the Quran open to a page condemning homosexuality. 
2013.08.04  USA  Richmond, CA  1  0  A convert "on a mission from Allah" stabs a store clerk to death. 
2013.04.19  USA  Boston, MA  1  1  Jihadists gun down a university police officer sitting in his car. 
2013.04.15  USA  Boston, MA  3  264  Foreign-born Muslims describing themselves as 'very religious' detonate two bombs packed with ball bearings at the Boston Marathon, killing three people and causing several more to lose limbs. 
2013.03.24  USA  Ashtabula, OH  1  0  A Muslim convert walks into a church service with a Quran and guns down his Christian father while praising Allah. 
2013.02.07  USA  Buena Vista, NJ  2  0  A Muslim targets and beheads two Christian Coptic immigrants. 
2012.11.12  USA  Houston, TX  1  0  A 28-year-old American man is shot to death by a conservative Muslim over an alleged role in converting a woman to Christianity. 
2012.01.15  USA  Houston, TX  1  0  A 30-year-old Christian convert is shot to death by a devout Muslim for helping to convert his daughter. 
2011.09.11  USA  Waltham, MA  3  0  Three Jewish men have their throats slashed by Muslim terrorists. 
2011.04.30  USA  Warren, MI  1  0  A 20-year-old woman is shot in the head by her stepfather for not adhering to Islamic practices. 
2010.04.14  USA  Marquette Park, IL  5  2  After quarrelling with his wife over Islamic dress, a Muslim convert shoots his family members to 'take them back to Allah' and out of the 'world of sinners'. 
2009.12.04  USA  Binghamton, NY  1  0  A non-Muslim Islamic studies professor is stabbed to death by a Muslim grad student in revenge for 'persecuted' Muslims. 
2009.11.05  USA  Ft. Hood, TX  13  31  A Muslim psychiatrist guns down thirteen unarmed soldiers while yelling praises to Allah. 
2009.11.02  USA  Glendale, AZ  1  1  A woman dies from injuries suffered when her father runs her down with a car for being too 'Westernized.' (10-20-09) 
2009.06.01  USA  Little Rock, AR  1  1  A Muslim shoots a local soldier to death inside a recruiting center explicitly in the name of Allah. 
2009.04.12  USA  Phoenix, AZ  2  0  A man shoots his brother-in-law and another man to death after finding out that they visited a strip club, in contradiction to Islamic values. 
2009.02.12  USA  Buffalo, NY  1  0  The founder of a Muslim TV station beheads his wife in the hallway for seeking a divorce. 
2008.07.06  USA  Jonesboro, GA  1  0  A devout Muslim strangles his 25-year-old daughter in an honor killing. 
2008.01.01  USA  Irving, TX  2  0  A Muslim immigrant shoots his two daughters to death on concerns about their 'Western' lifestyle. 
2006.07.28  USA  Seattle, WA  1  5  An 'angry' Muslim-American uses a young girl as hostage to enter a local Jewish center, where he shoots six women, one of whom dies. 
2006.06.25  USA  Denver, CO  1  5  Saying that it was 'Allah's choice', a Muslim shoots four of his co-workers and a police officer. 
2006.06.16  USA  Baltimore, MD  1  0  A 62-year-old Jewish moviegoer is shot to death by a Muslim medical student in an unprovoked terror attack. 
2004.04.15  USA  Scottsville, NY  1  2  In an honor killing, a Muslim father kills his wife and attacks his two daughters with a knife and hammer because he feared that they had been sexually molested. 
2003.08.06  USA  Houston, TX  1  0  After undergoing a 'religious revival', a Saudi college student slashes the throat of a Jewish student with a 4" butterfly knife, nearly decapitating the young man. 
2002.10.22  USA  Aspen Hill, MD  1  0  A bus driver is killed by Muslim snipers. 
2002.10.14  USA  Arlington, VA  1  0  A woman is killed by Muslim snipers in a Home Depot parking lot. 
2002.10.11  USA  Fredericksburg, VA  1  0  Another man is killed by Muslim snipers while pumping gas. 
2002.10.09  USA  Manassas, VA  1  1  A man is killed by Muslim snipers while pumping gas two days after a 13-year-old is wounded by the same team. cont.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:48pm

No.

There's more terrorist activity by non-Muslim groups.

Nobody's saying they're all Christians, though.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #59 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:48pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 5:38pm:

Nobody has claimed that.

Gandalf if you took the list of terrorist attacks in USA since 9/11 and factored in Muslims representing only 0.9% of the population, the figures would look horrendous.

You may also want to check out the list of foiled attacks.
[url]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsuccessful_terrorist_plots_in_the_United
_States_post-9/11[/url]

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print