Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Threats of violent Islamist and far-right extremis (Read 6440 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Threats of violent Islamist and far-right extremis
Reply #165 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 8:33pm

Quote:
You have different statistics? How do my statistics misrepresent the "truth" FD?

Your statistics deliberately excluded 9/11, and also more recent attacks. You insisted this was because they were 'recent' statistics, but they actually start immediately after 9/11. You post this BS over and over again. You know it is clearly misleading. We tell you every time. You slink away, then come back a few months later and do it all again.

Quote:
You seem to be basing the crux of your analysis on 9/11. It gives you the numbers to justify your position, granted.

Yes it does Mothra. Because it actually happened. That is what statistics on terrorism should capture - what actually happened, not what happened in between.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #166 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 9:28pm

this is interesting I have no recollection of this...

While the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center was devastating, it was not the first attempt to bring the two towers down.  On February 26, 1993, a yellow Ryder moving van was driven into the World Trade Center’s public parking garage in the North Tower.  Several minutes later, 1500 pounds of nitrate-hydrogen gas exploded, punching a hole 98 feet wide through four levels of concrete.

The plan was carried out by a group that called itself The Liberation Army, 5th Battalion.  This is believed to be a front, however, as this attack was financed by Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who was the primary planner for the 9/11 attack. The attackers hoped to collapse the North Tower and have it crash into the South Tower, causing thousands of deaths.  Six men were eventually charged with, and convicted of, the bombing.

it doesnt say about deaths...

but as we can see...the idea was to cause many deaths...

it is still a terrorist attack

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #167 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 10:12am

freediver wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 8:33pm:
Quote:
You have different statistics? How do my statistics misrepresent the "truth" FD?

Your statistics deliberately excluded 9/11, and also more recent attacks. You insisted this was because they were 'recent' statistics, but they actually start immediately after 9/11. You post this BS over and over again. You know it is clearly misleading. We tell you every time. You slink away, then come back a few months later and do it all again.

Quote:
You seem to be basing the crux of your analysis on 9/11. It gives you the numbers to justify your position, granted.

Yes it does Mothra. Because it actually happened. That is what statistics on terrorism should capture - what actually happened, not what happened in between.

Freediver, you're just looking silly.

mothra wrote on Mar 18th, 2017 at 2:31pm:
I'll repeat myself, shall i?

"Between 1990 and 2014, the ECDB has identified 38 homicide events motivated by Islamist extremism that killed 62 people. When you include 9/11, those numbers jump dramatically to 39 homicide events and 3,058 killed.

The database also identified 177 homicide events motivated by far-right extremism, with 245 killed. And when you include the Oklahoma City bombing, it rises to 178 homicide events and 413 killed."

https://theconversation.com/threats-of-violent-islamist-and-far-right-extremism-...

Now, will i need to repeat myself again? Or do you think you've got it now?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:14pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 3:31pm:
I think the article in the OP made one particularly interesting point - but its a shame no one seems to have picked up on it.

That being that Islamist terrorists tend to be more random, designed specifically just to cause chaos and maximum casualties - whereas far-right extremists tend to be more targeted. Though the Oklahoma bombing seems to be an exception.

Also the data is specific to the US situation, which is quite different to the situation faced in many European countries. For one thing, with few exceptions, the American Islamist threat comes from foreign imports - basically parachuted in for no other purpose than to commit terrorism. The 'native' muslim population in the US is actually very well integrated. Whereas the Islamist threat in Europe tends to be home grown - where the muslim populations there are less integrated into society.

Muslim terrorists hate the West.
Other extremists hate particular things like abortion, fur, coal mines, Muslims, Jews.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print