Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print
western civilisation before Islam (Read 22628 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: western civilisation before Islam
Reply #120 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:22am

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 25th, 2017 at 10:58pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 25th, 2017 at 9:32pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 25th, 2017 at 5:30am:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 25th, 2017 at 1:10am:
When studying history, you need to learn to look both at the minutia and the big picture items, simultaneously.    Roll Eyes

Is that not what reading from a whole bunch of sources essentially does? To have various perspectives of what happened and to make your own decision.

How many laypeople do that, UnSub?  In reality, they tend to latch onto one or at most two accounts and accept them as being representative of the events they wish to learn about.   Any good historian uses primary sources, not secondary ones.  Most laypeople use and rely upon secondary or tertiary sources.   Roll Eyes

Save for some privileged access to exclusive libraries that you probably could not afford visiting, you would most certainly be using secondary and tertiary sources for your historical information gathering. For someone to be using primary sources, you would have to be talking to the person in question, or looking at the artifacts themselves, or even being at the site, perhaps even living the historical moment.

I have about 3 sources on the American War of Independence, the History of America, the history of the world, several Australian history books, dvds on British history (20 hours worth of viewing -- Simon Scharmer), 3 books on British history, 2 on Chinese History, Roman history, and then various books ranging from Fitzsimons' Antarctica to a bunch of Nazi books or biographies on Hitler. If I find that there is a discrepancy on on book, I will find out in the other 2 books.

It is quite common for Australian people to read up on various things as a hobby to working at the bottle shops or at the meatworks. Don't try and get condescending to us because you wasted time getting a Masters in some degree for whatever reason. We don't have to pay for a place at university to educate ourselves.

I am not trying to be condescending towards you or others for the most part.  What annoys me is that too many here simply refuse to do any research at all, even using the World Wide Web before positing their opinions.  Invariably they are wrong, simply displaying their prejudice and their hatred for people different to themselves rather than any real understanding or knowledge.

As for "wasting time", I disagree.  Education is always useful.  It taught me many useful skills, skills which I put to daily use in my career.   I don't work as a historian but I apply a historians rigour to nearly everything I do, considering both the minutia and the bigger picture as well.  Without that discipline, I wouldn't know how to search and analyse the results of those searches in libraries and of course, the World Wide Web to the debates and arguments I get into in this and other fora.

So, you have a few books and a few DVDs on historical matters and you feel that qualifies you sufficiently to comment about complex events of the past?  I'm sorry but that is just the beginnings - good beginnings but still only the beginnings.     Secondary and Tertiary sources lose their currency, they are superseded by new works, new thinking, new research, and new viewpoints.   I've contributed to the total of world knowledge in a small, minor way but in ten, twenty, thirty years, some student may dig my work out and use it to further their own knowledge, to either refute what I've said or to complement it.   That is the way of the world.  Pursue your hobby by all means but recognise it's still only a hobby.   Be flexible in your beliefs and your attitudes 'cause what you learn today will be fish wrappings tomorrow.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #121 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 8:21am

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 25th, 2017 at 11:11pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 25th, 2017 at 8:31am:
Quote:
Unfortunately, for most people, they appear to believe if an event occurs, it is isolated from what is happening elsewhere in the world.   Soren and Freediver are typical of that sort of trend.

Brian, could you put your alleged postgraduate qualifications in history towards admitting you were wrong to claim that the Roman Empire was never in the Arabian Peninsula and you were also wrong to claim it had no effect on Muhammad?

Show me the evidence that the Roman Empire ruled anywhere in the Arabian peninsular, FD.   Also show me, what effect the Roman Empire had directly on Muhammed, then yes, I will apologise.  I have seen no evidence of either here or elsewhere.    Roll Eyes

Brian, this is at the top of the wikipedia article on the Roman Empire. The land is in grey, and the water is white. The land held by the Empire is in red. The grey and red thing on the bottom right is the Arabian Peninsula.

The Caliphate was a larger empire, incorporating all the previous centres of western civilisation (Iraq, Egypt etc) except for Rome itself:

An 'equal area projection' map of the region, so as not to overstate the size of European countries.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 10:05am

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:22am:
I am not trying to be condescending towards you or others for the most part. 

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

WHat a pompous, self-conceited plonker..

You are held in such low contempt that there is nobody for you to condescend to.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 2:54pm

Frank wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 10:05am:

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You are held in such low contempt that there is nobody for you to condescend to.

Not at all. There was a poster here called Sore End. Contempt? Tsk tsk tsk.

Still, we loved him just the way he was. We're a rich tapestry here, you know.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #124 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:09pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 8:21am:
Quote:
Unfortunately, for most people, they appear to believe if an event occurs, it is isolated from what is happening elsewhere in the world.   Soren and Freediver are typical of that sort of trend.

Brian, could you put your alleged postgraduate qualifications in history towards admitting you were wrong to claim that the Roman Empire was never in the Arabian Peninsula and you were also wrong to claim it had no effect on Muhammad?

Show me the evidence that the Roman Empire ruled anywhere in the Arabian peninsular, FD.   Also show me, what effect the Roman Empire had directly on Muhammed, then yes, I will apologise.  I have seen no evidence of either here or elsewhere.    Roll Eyes

Brian, this is at the top of the wikipedia article on the Roman Empire. The land is in grey, and the water is white. The land held by the Empire is in red. The grey and red thing on the bottom right is the Arabian Peninsula.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Roman_Empire_Trajan_11...

The Caliphate was a larger empire, incorporating all the previous centres of western civilisation (Iraq, Egypt etc) except for Rome itself:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/images/Map_of_expansion_of_Caliphate.png

An 'equal area projection' map of the region, so as not to overstate the size of European countries.

http://www.pictureshack.us/images/86020_Equal-Area.jpg

By your own first map, the Roman empire did not extend into the Arabian Peninsular, FD so I am unsure why you keep claiming it did.   Keep trying, it's amusing watching you distort reality to your Islamophobic view of the world.   Rome, either the Western or Eastern Empires had absolutely zilch to do with the Arabian Peninsular from a political viewpoint, FD.  Zilch.  So, how does this prove I am wrong, again?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #125 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:10pm

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Poor, poor, Soren.  I wasn't including someone like yourself amongst the mass of the readers.  You are, well, unique - uniquely poorly qualified to argue anything of value here.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #126 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:11pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 2:54pm:

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Not at all. There was a poster here called Sore End. Contempt? Tsk tsk tsk.

Still, we loved him just the way he was. We're a rich tapestry here, you know.

One might even suggest a broad church/temple/mosque, right?   Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #127 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 8:05pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:09pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 8:21am:
Quote:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Roman_Empire_Trajan_11...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/images/Map_of_expansion_of_Caliphate.png

http://www.pictureshack.us/images/86020_Equal-Area.jpg

By your own first map, the Roman empire did not extend into the Arabian Peninsular, FD so I am unsure why you keep claiming it did.   Keep trying, it's amusing watching you distort reality to your Islamophobic view of the world.   Rome, either the Western or Eastern Empires had absolutely zilch to do with the Arabian Peninsular from a political viewpoint, FD.  Zilch.  So, how does this prove I am wrong, again?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Try again Brian.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #128 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:22pm

I have had a look at various sources regarding the Roman Empire. The maps do not show the Romans having control over any of the Arabian peninsula. The Romans may make it to the west of the Arabian region, but not to the peninsula. Perhaps the Arabs referred to are the ones you are talking about living closer to the Ottomans.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #129 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:05pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:22pm:
I have had a look at various sources regarding the Roman Empire. The maps do not show the Romans having control over any of the Arabian peninsula. The Romans may make it to the west of the Arabian region, but not to the peninsula. Perhaps the Arabs referred to are the ones you are talking about living closer to the Ottomans.

Thank you, UnSubRocky for confirming what I've been saying all along.  Rome never controlled the Arabian Peninsular where Mecca is and where Mohammed lived.   

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #130 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:09pm

depends on where you judge the arabian peninsular to end/begin

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #131 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:14pm

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #132 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:17pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:09pm:

I was waiting for someone to bring that up, Gandalf.  According to most Geographers, the definition of a Peninsular is "a mass of land surrounded on three sides by water...".   According to the map that FD posted, less than 10% of the Arabian peninsular was under Roman occupation.   If we look at other maps of the Roman Empire, at it's high point, they all vary as to how much of the Arabian Peninsular was controlled by Rome.  Some have it at 10% (which is, IMO very generous) most have a great deal less.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #133 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:59pm

Even my Rome: Total War computer game, with its exaggerated maps of the Roman's military conquests would not get as far as the western edge of Saudi Arabia.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #134 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:01pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:17pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:09pm:

I was waiting for someone to bring that up, Gandalf.  According to most Geographers, the definition of a Peninsular is "a mass of land surrounded on three sides by water...".   According to the map that FD posted, less than 10% of the Arabian peninsular was under Roman occupation.   If we look at other maps of the Roman Empire, at it's high point, they all vary as to how much of the Arabian Peninsular was controlled by Rome.  Some have it at 10% (which is, IMO very generous) most have a great deal less.

SO there WAS a Roman presence in the Arabian Peninsula, you stupid old aunt with a 'masters degree in history, enabling you feel licensed to say eyewateringly idiotic things'.
That's the big picture, isn't it - you are proudly trained to be a mor0n.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print