Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: How many seats will the Liberals lose?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Less than 10    
  1 (7.7%)
10 to 14    
  7 (53.8%)
15 to 19    
  2 (15.4%)
20 to 24    
  0 (0.0%)
25 or more    
  3 (23.1%)

Total votes: 13
« Created by: Bam on: Mar 8th, 2017 at 8:04pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
WA election (Read 15049 times)
Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

WA election
Mar 8th, 2017 at 12:17pm

Well I can only talk from a distance about this but you'd have to think that from here in NSW that Barnett and the Liberals will lose Saturday's election.

You'd have to say that the main reason for this is Colin Barnett... more than any bad policies or any other political wrangling.

On the campaign trail he looks tired and frail.  People expect leaders who are up to the challenge of government, he doesn't give that impression at any level.  I would think the Libs should have changed leaders.  Howard didn't have the good sense to step down when it was time, and the cowards in the party refused to tap him on the shoulder.  I think we are seeing the same thing in WA...  I think IT'S TIME is what the people will be thinking.

But hey, I could be completely wrong.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: WA election
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 12:20pm

The strange thing is, Barnett has said that if the Libs win the election, he will step down.

He's so arrogant that he thinks they need him in order to win.

The truth is, it's because of him that they'll lose.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 12:29pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
The strange thing is, Barnett has said that if the Libs win the election, he will step down.

He's so arrogant that he thinks they need him in order to win.

The truth is, it's because of him that they'll lose.

a bit like the rudd machine and labor..

we get it we really do its all about their egos..

they all go off to higher levels

Director of this and Director of that...plus their huge pensions...

seriously why would anyone  think they care...

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 4:15pm

Grendel wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 12:17pm:
Well I can only talk from a distance about this but you'd have to think that from here in NSW that Barnett and the Liberals will lose Saturday's election.

You'd have to say that the main reason for this is Colin Barnett... more than any bad policies or any other political wrangling.

On the campaign trail he looks tired and frail.  People expect leaders who are up to the challenge of government, he doesn't give that impression at any level.  I would think the Libs should have changed leaders.  Howard didn't have the good sense to step down when it was time, and the cowards in the party refused to tap him on the shoulder.  I think we are seeing the same thing in WA...  I think IT'S TIME is what the people will be thinking.

But hey, I could be completely wrong.

Yes goose, I think you are right in your outlook re the result.
Aint it great. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 4:40pm

Smiley

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 6:03pm

Barnett and the Libs, "are looking tired," as was rumoured once around Margaret Thatcher and is said to have been the nail in her coffin when she was deposed.   Labour has been sitting quietly in the corner watching this disaster unfold and no matter how much negative publicity the Libs aim at them, they wlll IMHO more than likely win on Saturday.

The Nationals are prospering from the silly negative publicity that the mining industry has been directing their way over their mining tax.  Some of the claims being made are outlandish.   How does a state tax, collected in WA, see "most of the money end up in Sydney and Melbourne"?   Just ridiculous.

The PHONies are acting like their usual band of village idiots.  They are finding the preferences deal with the Libs as telling badly on them.   They will do much better than they have in the past but it still won't be sufficient to give them more than one or two seats in the Upper House IMHO.   The Libs will find it drags them down, even further.

I'm actually looking to see how the other minor parties do.  The Flux Party is interesting as is the Daylight Saving Party.   Be interesting see how their preference deals work out.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 6:08pm

Barnett broke election promises and built monuments instead of the rail he promised....The State has gone backwards under his Government with the state budget facing a forecast record deficit of $3.7 billion this year and state debt spiralling to $40 billion by the end of the decade....His arrogance makes him immune to the reality he is a failure!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2017 at 10:12pm by philperth2010 »  

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Not long to go now  Smiley

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 8:04pm

Poll.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 10:32pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 6:03pm:
Barnett and the Libs, "are looking tired," as was rumoured once around Margaret Thatcher and is said to have been the nail in her coffin when she was deposed.   Labour has been sitting quietly in the corner watching this disaster unfold and no matter how much negative publicity the Libs aim at them, they wlll IMHO more than likely win on Saturday.

The Nationals are prospering from the silly negative publicity that the mining industry has been directing their way over their mining tax.  Some of the claims being made are outlandish.   How does a state tax, collected in WA, see "most of the money end up in Sydney and Melbourne"?   Just ridiculous.

The PHONies are acting like their usual band of village idiots.  They are finding the preferences deal with the Libs as telling badly on them.   They will do much better than they have in the past but it still won't be sufficient to give them more than one or two seats in the Upper House IMHO.   The Libs will find it drags them down, even further.

I'm actually looking to see how the other minor parties do.  The Flux Party is interesting as is the Daylight Saving Party.   Be interesting see how their preference deals work out.

Maybe the gist is that the avoidance of that tax lines the pockets of Eastern based investors or something.  I dunno - I just wonder how in hell we get such a percentage of federal government ministers from WA that need to be flown hither and yon in RAAF jets with 1-2 passengers, or, for that matter, how in hell some of those people ever got elected there...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:19am

Bam wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 8:04pm:
Poll.

12 seats.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:24am

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 6:03pm:

Of course, it is a false claim. Apart from WA, NSW and Victoria are the other states that pay more in GST than they receive. Victoria also receives only 30% of Federal infrastructure funding per capita, the lowest in the country.

WA has also been a net taker of money from the rest of the country since Federation.

As for the election results, my guess:

* Liberals will suffer about a 14% swing and lose roughly 18 seats.
* The WA Nationals will do much better. I expect they may get a small swing to them.
* One Nation will win a couple of seats but not the balance of power in the upper house; that will be held by the WA Nationals.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 12:31pm

There was a time when NSW shouldered the biggest burden...  WA didn't complain then.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 1:28pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:19am:
Poll.

12 seats.

Every last one of them hopefully

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 1:47pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:19am:
Poll.

12 seats.

It is likely to be more.

Why?

Some opinion polls still use the last election's preference flows to calculate a 2PP figure and these become notoriously unreliable if there's a significant swing such as 10% or more. This is why the result of the 2015 Queensland state election was such a surprise to many.

One Nation is another factor that may not be handled adequately.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print