Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Soil, compost and mulch ........ (Read 3544 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Soil, compost and mulch ........
Feb 27th, 2017 at 11:45pm

Finding out more about these topics during my research for a forest.
I've been a gardener for a while, so knew a bit already.

Quote:
............    COMPOST You can use compost on all the plants in your garden, but it really is best suited to fast-growing, nutrient-hungry plants such as vegetables, fruit trees and flowering annuals. It breaks down in several months, improving the soil's ability to retain water and nutrients and, depending on its source, makes the soil more fertile. Being dark in colour, compost increases heat absorption, warming soil, but it also favours the growth of weed seeds. Buy from garden shops or landscape suppliers.

STRAW Made from dried plant stalks left over after crops, such as oats or peas, have been harvested. Straw breaks down in three to six months, depending on which type of plant it's made from. If it comes from legumes, such as pea straw, it breaks down more quickly and adds nutrients, particularly nitrogen, to the soil. Straw from cereal crops, such as oats, is lower in nutrients and takes longer to decompose, but all straw mulches build up the soil's capacity to hold water and nutrients. Straw can be used anywhere in the garden, but is best suited to areas that are maintained regularly, such as vegetable patches. Being light in colour, it tends to keep soil cooler, thus reducing evaporation more effectively than darker mulches. Bales of straw are available from stock feed suppliers, while you can buy bags of pea straw from garden retailers.

LUCERNE Lucerne hay and pellets are arguably the Rolls-Royce of mulches, as the lucerne is harvested when the plant is at its maximum level of nutrient content. While it fertilises your soil significantly, it also adds a rich layer of humus that builds soil structure and nutrient- and water-holding capacity. It breaks down in several months. Use lucerne on fruit and vegetable gardens, where it gives maximum benefit. Bales of lucerne hay are available from stock feed suppliers, while lucerne pellets are available from gardening retailers at variable prices, depending on quantity.

SUGARCANE MULCH Derived from the dried leaves of the sugarcane plant, left after harvesting, this mulch decomposes in about six months. It only adds a small amount of nutrient to the soil but certainly acts as a conditioner, building water- and nutrient-holding capacity. You can use it on all parts of the garden, but it is best suited to areas that are maintained regularly, such as vegetable patches. It reflects sunlight, keeping the soil cooler and reducing moisture loss. It's readily available from gardening retailers.

BARK MULCHES Made from a variety of tree species, with pine bark being the most commonly available, these last for about two years. Barks don't add any nutrients to the soil and should not be used fresh (as they may contain toxins when newly milled) or mixed into the soil without being composted. They come in various grades, from fine to coarse, and those with larger particles are best for most gardens. You can use them on all plants, but they are best around long-term plantings, such as trees and shrubs. Used on herbaceous plants, such as vegetables, they are likely to become incorporated into the soil, causing 'nitrogen drawdown'. You'll find barks at landscape supply yards sold by cubic metre, or in 40-60L bags from garden retailers.

GRAVELS AND PEBBLES Gravels come from quarrying, while pebbles, which are smoother, are from river beds and the like. Both materials are permanent fixtures when used as mulches. Particles above 20mm make the best mulch. They add very little or no nutrients, but don't draw any out of the soil. Various colours are available, and the lighter colours reflect sunlight, reducing water loss in warmer climates. Gravels and pebbles are best used for long-term plantings, such as trees and shrubs, where low-maintenance, permanent mulch is needed. Find them at landscape supply yards by the tonne, or in bags from gardening retailers............

tbc

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Soil, compost and mulch ........
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 11:47pm

Quote:
...........WOODCHIP MULCHES Mulch from hardwood trees, such as eucalypts, lasts up to five years; pine or other softwood mulch lasts two to three years. These are very low in nutrients and should not be mixed into the soil surface. Don't use woodchips fresh, as they can contain high levels of toxins, such as tannins. Woodchips are best used around trees, shrubs and other long-term plantings, and particle sizes above 20mm last longer and give better water retention. They are available from landscape supply yards sold by cubic metre, or in bags from garden retailers.

TEA-TREE MULCH Created from the residue left after processing tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) for its medicinal oil, this mulch lasts for about two years. As it's very low in nutrients, it definitely should not be mixed into the soil surface. It gradually decomposes, adding nutrient- and water-holding capacity to your soil. Tea-tree mulch can be used on all garden plants, but is best utilised around long-term plantings, such as trees and shrubs, where its dark colour helps to keep the soil warm through winter. It's available from landscape supply yards sold by cubic metre.

TREE AND SHRUB LOPPING RESIDUE Pruning in urban areas, particularly cutting back vegetation under power lines, produces this type of mulch. This means it comes from a wide range of plant species, making it somewhat variable in composition. It generally lasts for about two and a half years in the garden, adding small amounts of nutrients and soil-conditioning humus. Don't ever use these prunings fresh, in case they contain toxins. Tree and shrub lopping residue can be used to mulch all garden plants, but is best utilised around long-term plantings, such as trees and shrubs. They are available from landscape supply yards sold by cubic metre, but you can sometimes pick them up free from tree-lopping companies working in your area. It's worth asking them! ...........

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s4343239.htm

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 12:13am

My favorite mulch is cypress because it doesn't wash away and lasts for years ... my rule of thumb for mulch is:  use enough to cover whatever you are covering then add that much more.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:00pm

Just went to the local landscape supplier, yes, cypress mulch looks good.

Thanks AIA.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:11pm

depending on where you are, you may need to make sure your mulch doesn't attract termites.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:29pm

I got a load of mulch once, had friggen plastic particles all thru it.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:33pm

mulch is for keeping moisture in and weeds down I believe...I have always gone for lucerne/sugar cane...but they soon dissolve away... which is fine....but if the bark hangs around for 5 years.. does it stay looking good...or do  you remove it before  chucking  more on as it gets shabby looking...

I have two cats who think a nice bit of freshly dug over soil is just right for them.. no matter what I have planted..would bark keep them away???....

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:24pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:29pm:
I got a load of mulch once, had friggen plastic particles all thru it.

Reminds me of back in the day when you could go to the tip and get green waste to use as mulch for free. Most people however avoided it because it was full of weeds.

there used to be a soil and garden supplier that was only a few minutes away from the Whytes Gully  tip and they also sold mulch .
I was surprised when I went to the tip one day and found the truck from the garden supplier filling up with the councils free mulch. Not long after that the garden supplier went bust.  Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:25pm

cods wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:33pm:
.or do  you remove it before  chucking  more on as it gets shabby looking...

no need to remove it, just throw more on

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:31pm

“more on” eh?  Cheesy

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:35pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:31pm:
“more on” eh?  Cheesy

she won't believe me but it was unintentional  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:00pm

I have two cats who think a nice bit of freshly dug over soil is just right for them.. no matter what I have planted..would bark keep them away???....

Yes definitely Cods especially if the bark is still attached to the dog

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:08pm

John Smith,,, if you get termites in your mulch it means there are termites there already and its a good warning sign.

There will be a nest somewhere and they have just found a new food supply in your mulch.

Getting rid of the mulch just means they will go looking elsewhere for food.

If you treated the mulch with low dose Fipronil the termites would carry the poison back to their nest before they die, thus killing the colony.

Termites in Australia are ubiquitous.

For Perth people who know the R&I tower when it was the tallest building in Perth,,, it had a Karri fitout on the very top floor.
The termites in the middle of Perth found their way up to the top floor through some old formworks.
Then they gobbled up the Karri, which is plum jam for them.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:08pm

Put some chicken wire down before planting. Stops chooks and probably cats from scratching/digging.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:12pm

Also when mulch becomes old and the nitrogen is leached out you should add more nitrogen because the soil microbes will drag the nitrogen out of the soil to help digest the cellulose and lignin,, making your plants go yellow and sick looking.

The other thing mulch does is keep water from reaching the soil,, so you have to make sure the water you are putting on is sufficient to get through the mulch,,,, better still irrigate under the mulch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print